PDA

View Full Version : Smokey telling the story of Being With You and the fact it is a demo for Kim Carnes!

test

MIKEW-UK
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Smokey telling the story of Being With You and the fact it is a demo for Kim Carnes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guw-1NKOl80

splanky
10-08-2011, 01:21 PM
That was a surprise especially because I never cared for Kim's More Love...LOL...

marv2
10-08-2011, 02:27 PM
It is a surprise as I had never heard that before. I bought Smokey's "Being With You" album back in 1981 the week it came out. The year before, "More Love" by Kim Carnes was pretty popular, but in '81 she hit her stride with "Bette Davis Eyes" and Smokey had a hit with "Being With You".

Marv

uptight
10-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I was one of those record buyers who bought "Bette Davis Eyes" and enjoyed "Being With You" on the radio instead. This makes you wonder how Kim Carnes would have sounded on "Being With You." It is likely to have been a hit, since she was on top of the charts already. Now I can see why Smokey jumped at the opportunity to present the song to her while she was hot. It was another method he as a songwriter could get his songs out there.

marv2
10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I was one of those record buyers who bought "Bette Davis Eyes" and enjoyed "Being With You" on the radio instead. This makes you wonder how Kim Carnes would have sounded on "Being With You." It is likely to have been a hit, since she was on top of the charts already. Now I can see why Smokey jumped at the opportunity to present the song to her while she was hot. It was another method he as a songwriter could get his songs out there.

True and I agree, however I think Smokey had forgotten just how popular he still was as a vocalist by the early 80's. I think after "Being With You" was such a hit, that it reinforced his own self confidence that it was the public that still wanted to hear him sing, his songs! "Tell Me Tomorrow" which came the following year was also a nice hit for Smokey.