PDA

View Full Version : "Sequel" songs

test

marybrewster
08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I've heard that "I'm Livin' In Shame" supposedly is a sequel to "Love Child" and Diana's "These Things Will Keep My Loving You" is a sequel to "Someday We'll Be Together".

Are there any more Motown sequels? I guess to my listeneing ear, I don't see these songs as contiuations of the originals, but I can see how stylistically they are similar.

sunshineonacloudyday
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't know about "sequel" songs, but there was clearly plenty of reworking of riffs, or lyrics [[and I liked most of them just as much the second time around)
A few examples:

Heatwave/Quicksand [["Son of Heatwave")
I Can't Help Myself/It's The Same Old Song
My Smile Is Just A Frown [[Turned Upside Down)/Smiling Faces

tomato tom
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Many!! Edwin starr War & Stop the War Now. Miracles Shop Around & Debbie Dean Dont let him shop around. The Marvelettes Please Mr Postman & Twistin Postman. Thelma Houston Dont leave me this way & Im here again...the list goes on and on. Hope this helps...Paulo XXXX

robb_k
08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
"Twistin Postman", -sequel to "Please Mr. Postman".

"I'm The Playboy" by The Pyramids [[ex-Satintone Vern Williams on lead, other members probably had hung around Motown). Record produced by ex-Motowners, Robert Bateman and Sonny Sanders at Correc-Tone Records. Ex-Motowner Popcorn Wylie was involved. Almost all the musicians worked also at Motown.

"Cleo's Mood", "Cleo's Back"-Jr. Walker & All Stars

sunshineonacloudyday
08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
There's also Jr. Walker's Twist Lackawanna, and Anyway You Wanna', [[which sounds more like sequel than a cover) of Harvey Fuqua's Anyway You Wanna

Any [[Motown) link to The Soul Tempters Truckin', and Eddie Kendricks' Keep On Truckin'?

markb
08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Only 50% Motown - but surely one of the most famous =

Get a Job by the Silhouettes and

I Got a Job by the Miracles - which virtually launched the Motown label.

I seem to remember it got a special mention in Berry's biography.

MB

[[OR is that an Answer/Response song - which is different from a Sequel song. My brain may be about to explode)

1382hitsville
08-24-2010, 03:27 PM
My Guy - The Marvelettes
My Girl - The Temptations

Barrett Strong:
Money [[That's What I Want)
Money And Me

tomato tom
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Tks Robb-K
See, this is what I love about this site. Throws up all sorts of info you never knew before..Paulo..XXXX

tomato tom
08-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Talkin of Keep On truckin, Boogie Down is right on the money too.!! Paulo xxx

robb_k
08-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Only 50% Motown - but surely one of the most famous =

Get a Job by the Silhouettes and

I Got a Job by the Miracles - which virtually launched the Motown label.

I seem to remember it got a special mention in Berry's biography.

MB

[[OR is that an Answer/Response song - which is different from a Sequel song. My brain may be about to explode)

Certainly, we should be able to use response songs as sequels.

But, this answer/response song not really 50% Motown, as Berry Gordy produced that record, and leased it to George Goldner's End Records. It was a year before Motown was born. It was before Berry and Raynoma's Ray-Ber Music Productions, which was also before Motown. It not only had nothing to do with launching The Motown label, but it wasn't even Berry Gordy's first production [[that was The Five Stars on Goldner's Mark-X Records). I would say that Marv Johnson's "Come To Me" -Tamla 101 [[leased to United Artists Records) launched Motown.

tomato tom
08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Forgot Shirelles Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow = Satintones tomorrow & Allways..but thats a different story, of course..XXX

markb
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM

Certainly, we should be able to use response songs as sequels.

But, this answer/response song not really 50% Motown, as Berry Gordy produced that record, and leased it to George Goldner's End Records. It was a year before Motown was born. It was before Berry and Raynoma's Ray-Ber Music Productions, which was also before Motown. It not only had nothing to do with launching The Motown label, but it wasn't even Berry Gordy's first production [[that was The Five Stars on Goldner's Mark-X Records). I would say that Marv Johnson's "Come To Me" -Tamla 101 [[leased to United Artists Records) launched Motown.

Yes - sorry - poor recall on my behalf.

Could just remember Berry's gushing enthusiasm for the song - "Stop, stop, I love it!"

Probably I should have said that it forged the working relationship between Smokey and Berry.

And their first chart success.

Or somesuch!

I'll stop digging now!!

MB

robb_k
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
513I assumed the original poster meant that both the original story song AND the answer record were produced at Motown. I seem to remember a bunch of answer/sequel songs [[or parodies of hits) done by Gordy's labels in the early days.

"I Out-Duked The Duke" by Little Otis on Tamla was a sequel to "Duke of Earl". "Small Sad Sam" by Bob Kayli [[Robert Gordy) on Tamla was a parody on "Big Bad John". "They Rode Through The Valley" by Mickey Woods on Tamla was a parody on "Mr. Custer". Weren't there a couple of Motown songs that referred to lines in previous Motown songs?

bradsupremes
08-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Even these songs were recorded by two different groups, I always considered "I'm Ready For Love" as the sequel to "You Can't Hurry Love"

theboyfromxtown
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I think Lamont Dozier has said publicly that I Can't Help Myself is the same song as Where Did Our Love Go.

I guess he should know!

theboyfromxtown
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=1382hitsville;3948]My Guy - The Marvelettes

Did I miss out on a posting somewhere?

smark21
08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Strange I Know by The Marvelettes could be viewed as finishing up the story started in Please Mr. Postman with the girl dumping the guy whose letter she's been waiting for and marrying some other guy.

Not Motown: Leslie Gore's It's My Party followed by Judy's Turn to Cry

arrr&bee
08-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Motown had sequels and they were good for the most part...my girl-my baby...come round here[i'm the one you need]-baby,baby don't cry...i'll always love you-i'll be around[yes i know the spinners were with atlantic when the second was made but listen to them both and you'll see what i mean]...uptight[everything's alright]-nothing's too good for my baby...my guy-he's the one i love!

1382hitsville
08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=1382hitsville;3948]My Guy - The Marvelettes

Did I miss out on a posting somewhere?

Ahhh...sorry....Mary Wells, how could I forget....sorry sorry sorry....

positivesoul
08-27-2010, 01:53 AM
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells

You Threw A Lucky Punch - Gene Chandler

{100% Non Motown} King Of The Road - Roger Miller / Queen Of The House - Jody Miller [[Queen, but evidently not Roger's spouse)

arrr&bee
08-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Please return your love to me..i need your lovin-the temps!!

road runner
08-29-2010, 03:07 AM
"Night 'Fo Last" could be called a sequel to "Function at the Junction".

nevertoolate
08-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Shotgun/Shoot Your Shot?

rovereab
08-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Going down for the third time/Shoot your shot :)