PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Oct 4, 9P-12M ET: Brenda Holloway Retrospective...and.......

test

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Howdy, Folks! It's been a while since I have done a tribute show to one of my favorites [[and I dare say yours too!)...the great Brenda Holloway. You'll hear hits, rarities, "B" sides, remixes, shocking finds and many tracks that, yet and still [[as Mary Wilson says), have not been released. So, do join me tonight for this special tribute to one of Motown's most gifted artists...Brenda Holloway...on "Nightflight"....on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

Thanks!
John

luke
10-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Wonderful--any chance you will interview her?

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
And it's not even my birthday yet [[Oct 26!)!!!! This announcement just made my day Midnight! I can not wait for this show tonight!

sophisticated_soul
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
It's Brenda Holloway Day
Come join the fun
and hear "Just Look What You've Done"
Brenda didn't make anything crappy
Just wonderful songs, like "You've Made Me So Very Happy"
Don't be a crab, like Fred Mertz
Come and enjoy "Every Little Bit Hurts"
Time to end this silly rhyme
One more? "Together 'Til The End Of Time".:cool:

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Looking forward to the Brenda Holloway show.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Wonderful--any chance you will interview her?

Luke...well, thanks! I don't have an interview with Brenda. Did one a few years ago....it was recorded so badly that I can't salvage it....dammit!

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
And it's not even my birthday yet [[Oct 26!)!!!! This announcement just made my day Midnight! I can not wait for this show tonight!

Ross....I'll look forward to your presence!!!

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
It's Brenda Holloway Day
Come join the fun
and hear "Just Look What You've Done"
Brenda didn't make anything crappy
Just wonderful songs, like "You've Made Me So Very Happy"
Don't be a crab, like Fred Mertz
Come and enjoy "Every Little Bit Hurts"
Time to end this silly rhyme
One more? "Together 'Til The End Of Time".:cool:

Wonderful poetry....including Brenda, Motown AND "I Love Lucy" references!!!!
My friend...thanks...see you in a bit!

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Looking forward to the Brenda Holloway show.

Jim....great....see you a little later!

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
A Phillies win and a Brenda Holloway music tribute all in one night. Dare to dream.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Howdyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

MotownSteve
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi Jim, I can see you smiling from here. You were right about your cars. I saw another today.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Jim, I can see you smiling from here. You were right about your cars. I saw another today.

Hey there, Steve!

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 09:11 PM

They're everywhere!

Who cares John? Surely Kathy Sledge, Honey and her Bees, Rochelle, Ted Mills, Caeser, Russell Thompkins Jr, and at least one of Three Degrees care! Go Phillies!

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:11 PM
They're everywhere!

Who cares John? Surely Kathy Sledge, Honey and her Bees, Rochelle, Ted Mills, Caeser, Russell Thompkins Jr, and at least one of Three Degrees care! Go Phillies!

Now you shouldn't mix business with pleasure!!!

MotownLover
10-04-2011, 09:13 PM
OMG! Oh Happy Day! Beautiful Brenda Holloway!
I had the privilege of meeting her in person about a few years back at a gathering in memory of Marvin Gaye at his Hollywood star on the walk of fame. It was a small crowd and I was almost totally speechless that all I could do is SMILE REALLY BIG and KISS HER HAND! I did the same to Claudette Robinson too...another absolutely beautiful soul. In addition, I had a nice chat with Mable John [[it was just around the time that her UK collection, My Name Is Mable, came out..so it had to be in 2004).

Brenda was always one of my favorite female Motown singers. Never understood why she didn't make it HUGELY in the business. I really dug her "Just Look What You've Done" but liked all her stuff. As a kid, as I shared with you Johnny, I searched the bins at Wallich's Music City in Torrance, California, and found all her singles. I had never heard her singles "Together 'Til The End Of Time" or "You Can Cry On My Shoulder" on local radio at the time. Nor her "Hurt A Little Everyday" backed with "Where Were You". When I got this single, I really wasn't certain a the time of which side was supposed to be the "A" side, as I liked both. But, in hindsight, "Hurt A Little..." was more her style in terms of the production.

I'm enjoying this stuff tremendously! Go Johnny Go!

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Now you shouldn't mix business with pleasure!!!

I didn't say the Q word tonight! Great medley John.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
OMG! Oh Happy Day! Beautiful Brenda Holloway!
I had the privilege of meeting her in person about a few years back at a gathering in memory of Marvin Gaye at his Hollywood star on the walk of fame. It was a small crowd and I was almost totally speechless that all I could do is SMILE REALLY BIG and KISS HER HAND! I did the same to Claudette Robinson too...another absolutely beautiful soul. In addition, I had a nice chat with Mable John [[it was just around the time that her UK collection, My Name Is Mable, came out..so it had to be in 2004).

Brenda was always one of my favorite female Motown singers. Never understood why she didn't make it HUGELY in the business. I really dug her "Just Look What You've Done" but liked all her stuff. As a kid, as I shared with you Johnny, I searched the bins at Wallich's Music City in Torrance, California, and found all her singles. I had never heard her singles "Together 'Til The End Of Time" or "You Can Cry On My Shoulder" on local radio at the time. Nor her "Hurt A Little Everyday" backed with "Where Were You". When I got this single, I really wasn't certain a the time of which side was supposed to be the "A" side, as I liked both. But, in hindsight, "Hurt A Little..." was more her style in terms of the production.

I'm enjoying this stuff tremendously! Go Johnny Go!

Motownlover.....great to have you back...and again. Thanks for the memories of Brenda....may I share?

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I didn't say the Q word tonight! Great medley John.

Thanks, Jimmy!

MotownSteve
10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I think that the music to Every Little Bit Hurts really shows how versatile the Funk Brothers were.

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I think that the music to Every Little Bit Hurts really shows how versatile the Funk Brothers were.

Steve,
I don't think any funk brothers were on Every Little Bit Hurts. It is mainly pianist Lincoln Mayorga who also played on Bette Midler's The Rose.

sophisticated_soul
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
"Trapped In A Love Affair", excellent remix John! At that pace she sings the song, 3:15 might have been too long! But of course Brenda always rises to the occasion. A superb vocalist! An a superb remix!:cool:

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Land of a Thousand Boys. That's how you caress a lyric, folks.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
"Trapped In A Love Affair", excellent remix John! At that pace she sings the song, 3:15 might have been too long! But of course Brenda always rises to the occasion. A superb vocalist! An a superb remix!:cool:

Thank you, Joseph....in a perfect world, I could get my hands on those vault tapes and REALLY do something more worthy of the song....

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Land of a Thousand Boys. That's how you caress a lyric, folks.

Jim...I appreciate you're perfect choice of words...

MotownSteve
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Steve,
I don't think any funk brothers were on Every Little Bit Hurts. It is mainly pianist Lincoln Mayorga who also played on Bette Midler's The Rose.

Oh well. It is still a fantastic song.

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Checking in, been listening since the top of the show. One bone of contention that gets repeated unfairly against Motown: I don't think Motown treated Brenda like dirt [[and I'm a huge fan of Brenda hence the name RossHolloway [[Diana, Brenda). I don't think Motown signed Brenda to the lable to treat her like dirt or ignore her. I really believe that Motown just had an embarrasment of riches when it came to talented singers and groups and there were just limited resources at this small independent black owned record company that had only been in existence for roughly 4 years by the time Brenda joined the company. Brenda just happened to be at a company that was just exploding on the scene and there were just bigger more popular acts on the label: The Miracles, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Martha & The Vandellas, Stevie Wonder. And while it's easy to point fingers at say the Supremes and say Berry Gordy focused too much attention on the Supremes and not enough on other artists, I seriously doubt that anyone in Mr. Gordy's position would have done things much differently. The Supreme's were on top, making serious money for the label, getting high profile engagements and television appearances and doing everything right that Berry wanted for his company. Why would you pull your support and lose focus on the most popular and successful group in your company? The answer is you wouldn't! I'm sure there were probably dozens of acts on Capitol Records that did not become known or popular because the Beatles were the top act on that label. I'm just very thankful that Brenda made some extraordinary recordings and that they're still being listened to and played and discussed over 42 years after she left the company. She definitely had a lasting impact on the company and to music.

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh well. It is still a fantastic song.

Definitely. And Lincoln Mayorga was very proud that he got to be involved in the launching of Brenda's career with this recording.

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 09:52 PM
"when the US Mail is no longer mailable." We may live to see that day.

sophisticated_soul
10-04-2011, 09:58 PM

I was just thinking the same thing! LOL!!:) My local post office was one of the one's closed.:[[

MotownSteve
10-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm more concerned about Robert Heinlein's Revolt in 2100 coming before George Orwell's 1984.

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Hey Midnight any chance we can hear Lonely Boy by Brenda?

sophisticated_soul
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
"Just Look What You've Done", one of the best Motown songs ever!:cool:

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Such a great lyric!!!!

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
What a great unreleased Brenda track. It needs to be unburied.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Midnight any chance we can hear Lonely Boy by Brenda?

Yes...Ross...I'll get that on for you....

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
"Just Look What You've Done", one of the best Motown songs ever!:cool:

Yess......and we thank that genius Mr Wilson!!!!

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 10:32 PM
The Lewis Sisters were the worst singers. Berry must have owed their dad money.

pj1
10-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow! You really aren't feeling well tonight.
'You Need Me' is by the Lewis Sisters; 'You Changed Me' is by Smokey Robinson.
An easy mistake to make as the titles are similar.

pj1
10-04-2011, 10:42 PM
'Lonely Boy' was released on 'This Is Northern Soul' Volume 2 [[U.K.)

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Mary Wells left before the Supreme's made it big and she left for greener pastures, not because Motown neglected her. And the Supreme's weren't the only act that Motown pushed and promoted. Motown had a practice of pushing groups up when other groups hits stopped. I believe it was Bobby Rogers who said to Martha Reeves in Europe, you've had your turn, now it's the Supremes chance. [[or something to that effect)

And Lonley Boy is indeed a released track. Thanks for playing that song!! And I know you're going to play the fantastic cut Can I? off her gorgeous Every Little Bit Hurts lp!

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
'Lonely Boy' was released on 'This Is Northern Soul' Volume 2 [[U.K.)

I couldn't remember which cd, but it was released a few years ago. Its a great track.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Can I is coming up shortly....

sophisticated_soul
10-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks Johnny for, "Johnny"!:)

MotownLover
10-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Gee Johnny...Why couldn't she be singing "Til Howie Comes" instead? In my dreams, huh? :-)

JimBagley
10-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Brenda Holloway woke me up this morning! Thanks John!

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Gee Johnny...Why couldn't she be singing "Til Howie Comes" instead? In my dreams, huh? :-)

It makes me think of what Howie songs there are....aren't there any.......

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks Johnny for, "Johnny"!:)

Joey....you are so welcome....

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Brenda Holloway woke me up this morning! Thanks John!

You're most welcome, Jim!!

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 11:35 PM
MJ I agree with you 100% on the line"I need waiting time, weeping time, my hearts just keepin time". It's fantastic.

I don't know which song is better Cryin Time or Trapped In A Love Affair when she wails,

Trapped! In a love affair...

Use to walk around with my head up high,
cause I could charm any fellow,
with just a wink of an eye.
And there wasn't a guy who could out-fox me.
I was poison in a bottle,
a real love disease.

But you were sly and keen
and by being a stranger,
I let your flattery out weigh the danger.
As time went by I grew weaker and weaker.
Like a child with his hands slapped,
meeker and meeker.

Because you came on with a love so strong,
it was hard to determine the right from the wrong.
And you rationed your love is such a small amount
until it got to the place that every little bit counts!

Like a fly in a spiders were web,
is where you kept me baby.
I tried not to show it,
but you were drivin me crazy.
You were just too swift
for me to catch you off guard.
And I began fallin,
and I really fell hard.

Yes indeed you blinded me
with all your little trickery
and I'm walking on the line
between happiness and misery.
And my only solution is to beg of you
don't take it away. Whatever you do!

Because you came on with a love so strong
And you rationed your love in such a small amount
until it got to the place that every little bit count!

Can't get away from you baby...
The ways she moans thru that songs just floors me lol Should have been a hit.

"Can I" has to be my all time favorite song by Brenda, it's hard to believe that she's 17 and singing that song.

MotownSteve
10-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Brenda is an example of someone who might have been a major star on another label but was stuck behind a bevy of major stars at Motown.

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 11:46 PM
mj i agree with you 100% on the line"i need waiting time, weeping time, my hearts just keepin time". It's fantastic.

I don't know which song is better cryin time or trapped in a love affair when she wails,

trapped! In a love affair...

Use to walk around with my head up high,
cause i could charm any fellow,
with just a wink of an eye.
And there wasn't a guy who could out-fox me.
I was poison in a bottle,
a real love disease.

But you were sly and keen
and by being a stranger,
i let your flattery out weigh the danger.
As time went by i grew weaker and weaker.
Like a child with his hands slapped,
meeker and meeker.

Because you came on with a love so strong,
And you rationed your love is such a small amount
until it got to the place that every little bit counts!

Like a fly in a spiders were web,
is where you kept me baby.
I tried not to show it,
but you were drivin me crazy.
You were just too swift
for me to catch you off guard.
And i began fallin,
and i really fell hard.

Yes indeed you blinded me
with all your little trickery
and i'm walking on the line
between happiness and misery.
And my only solution is to beg of you
don't take it away. Whatever you do!

Because you came on with a love so strong
And you rationed your love in such a small amount
until it got to the place that every little bit count!

Can't get away from you baby...
The ways she moans thru that songs just floors me lol should have been a hit.

"can i" has to be my all time favorite song by brenda, it's hard to believe that she's 17 and singing that song.

wowwie wowwowwowwwwww

midnight johnny
10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
To you all....thanks so much for sharing Brenda with me tonight....see you next week....

MotownSteve
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Great show John. Good Night All

RossHolloway
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for another great show [[sans the bashing ;)!

sophisticated_soul
10-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Big, Beautiful, Brenda Blow-Out!!! Thank You, Johnny!! Thanks everybody! See you next time.:cool:

midnight johnny
10-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks, Steve, RossHolloway and Joseph........very much!