PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Ross charms crowd with hits as well as cover tunes

test

jobeterob
10-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally Published: 10/3/2011 Share13
REVIEW: Ross charms crowd with hits as well as cover tunes
The 67-year-old offers a revue of her recordings in addition to a trip through popular black music of the 20th century.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading Eagle: Ben Hasty
Diana Ross and her 13-piece band perform Saturday night at the Sovereign Performing Arts Center.

Ben Hasty on Facebook
Entering her sixth decade of music-making, Diana Ross has more hits to her name than almost any other artist.

So it was a bit surprising to hear her tackle so many covers during her show Saturday night at a frenetic show at the Sovereign Performing Arts Center.

Backed by a tight 13-piece band, which included a four-piece horn section, Ross helmed a nearly nonstop revue of her biggest hits that also doubled as a trip through popular black music of the 20th century. Motown gave way to funk, which gave way to jazz, which segued into disco and all of it sounded great.

At 85 minutes, the show was on the short side, but because many of the songs performed were succinct nuggets from the '60s, the set list contained a healthy 21 songs.

The 67-year-old still looked great, wearing a smile and no fewer than six outfits during the evening: all dresses, almost all of them glittery.

Her voice remains strong as well, ranging from powerful to sultry to innocent.

An instrumental introduction kicked off the evening while photographs, album covers and song titles from throughout Ross' career whizzed by on the screen behind the stage.

Ross then took the stage and launched into solo hit "I Love You [[Call Me)" and a cover of The Spiral Starecase's "More Today Than Yesterday," before pelting the audience with a relentless string of six Diana Ross & The Supremes hits.

Although "You Keep Me Hangin' On" was unfortunately not one of them, spirited renditions of "Baby Love," "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Stop! In the Name of Love" were included.

Much of the rest of the show featured Ross interpreting other artists' work: Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Billie Holiday's "Don't Explain," Dusty Springfield's "The Look of Love," Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers' "Why Do Fools Fall In Love."

The mostly older audience at the nearly-sold-out show rarely sat still, frequently leaping to their feet, clapping, swaying and singing.

Show closer "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" featured, at Ross' urging, crowd members waving their hands back and forth to the music, turning the theater into an undulating sea of arms.

The backing band was quite good; if you're going to take on Funk Brothers arrangements you need to have chops. And the musicians showed them off while Ross was changing outfits, most notably the thick Latin groove that closed "Love Child."

The band subtly paid tribute to Michael Jackson by sneaking a few riffs, such as the ending guitar lick in "Billie Jean," into the arrangements.

helga
10-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Ross then took the stage and launched into solo hit "I Love You [[Call Me)"

???????????

atcsm
10-02-2011, 11:35 PM
???????????
I know - WTF? Certainly shoots down the credibility of anti-Diana sentiment.......

jobeterob
10-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Ya.................I wonder if it's I Love You or her cover of Call Me?

Can't be the later, right?

Somebody who was there has to tell us.

uptight
10-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Surprisingly she got a Grammy [[or AMA) nomination for "I Love You [[Call Me)" in the early 70s. But I don't think this song is in her current repertoire. LOL Was that a typo, referring to her recent tune "I Love You?" And would she really start the show with either one of those songs? Hmmm

Well, I'm glad it was a good show whatever she sang.

smark21
10-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Funny, I posted a link to that review in the Ross receives mixed reviews in Wilkes Barre thread, but the entire thread was deleted by Ralph.

Ralph, I want to know why you deleted that thread? I also posted a response to Ross Holloway on his charge that I hate Diana Ross. It was well reasoned response, I didn't lash out at him but tried to explain where I was coming from. But since you deleted the thread, he may never have read it and thus you prevented an attempt for us to work out our disagreement like adults and in a sense you allow tensions to continue to exist with such heavy handed "moderating".

I also wonder about that "I Love You/Call Me" quote as well. Perhaps the critic wasn't taking very good notes? Also odd that he would focus on Ross doing loads of cover tunes, like Billie Holliday songs. Yes, technically she's doing a cover, but it's connected to a very important part of her career. And while I can't stand "Why Do Fools" that was also a hit and I can understand why it's in the show as it was an 80's hit as well as an influence on the teenage Diana Ross.

smark21
10-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Ya.................I wonder if it's I Love You or her cover of Call Me?

Can't be the later, right?

Somebody who was there has to tell us.

If she did do a cover of Call Me, I wonder which one? The Aretha Franklin song "Call Me" or the Blondie song "Call me"? I suspect the not too terribly well informed critic really meant to cite "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

kenneth
10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
If she did do a cover of Call Me, I wonder which one? The Aretha Franklin song "Call Me" or the Blondie song "Call me"? I suspect the not too terribly well informed critic really meant to cite "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

"I Love You [[Call Me)" in Diane's version, as Uptight points out, was a single in the UK. According to Hip-O's info on the LP "Everything is Everything":

Released even as her debut solo album was still on the charts, EIE featured productions by Deke Richards, the leader of the “Corporation” team responsible for the Jackson 5 hits. The album didn’t produce a major hit along the lines of “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” Ross’s big smash that year, but “I’m Still Waiting” became a U.K. No. 1. “I Love You [[Call Me),” a cover of Aretha Franklin’s hit, was nominated for a Grammy® [[it lost to Aretha herself). The complete, fascinating story is all here in this beautiful, expanded edition that includes seven bonus tracks from the Motown vault.

I think the critic probably confused who had the hit with it. I don't think it was even released as a Ross single in the US.

JohnnyB
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Diana has been opening her shows with The Boss. [[I Love You) Call Me? I don't know how this critic could make such a blunder.

jobeterob
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Good idea whoever suggested that the song was "if you need me, call me.........."

I suspect it was the new-er I Love You from the last album of the same name.