PDA

View Full Version : When Diana Left the Supremes

test

marybrewster
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
A couple of qestions/thoughts about when Diana left the Supremes:

It's my understanding that it was announced in October or November of 1969 that Diana would leave the Supremes.

1) Was the Frontier venue already booked, which then suddenly became their "Farewell" perfomances?

2) How many nights did DRATS perform in that specific venue?

3) Were there any venues already booked past January 1970? Typically you can buy tickets for a concert 3 or 4 months in advance; were there any perfomances booked in February/March/April of 1970?

4) Who fulfilled these performances, the Jean-lead Supremes or Diana? How was this decided?

5) Were there any upset fans that either saw Diana with no Supremes, or the Supremes with no Diana?

1382hitsville
08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Good questions! Can I add this one:

1) when the Frontier was demolished, what happened to the plaquette revealed as a rememberance to this last performance?

nomis
08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
From what I gather the booking was already in place and became the Farewell nights once Dianas leaving was announced.
I know of one fan who was devastated by Diana leaving - Luther Vandross,It was the biggest thing in his life at the time he couldnt believe his favourite group was breaking up.
One fan posted on you tube of seeing one of thes shows - apparently there was two a night for the engagement and the girls would wear many of their recent glamourous costumes for different shows.
I think the booking was for about a week but Im at work at the moment so I cant check the exact length of gig.
Mary later wrote that there would be wisecracks from some unruley audience members after Diana left saying stupid things like "Hey wheres Diana?" which Im sure the girls found highly annoying.
the comic who opened for Dianas first solo shows has said that Diana got a bad rap for leaving the girls and it took the audiences time to come round to her supremes- less show.
From most accounts Dianas leaving was announced the moment Someday started receiving airplay - which was as soon as it was put out.
Footage exists in Dick Clarks archive of at least the girls getting bouquets on the final night this footaged aired on American Bandstand at the time and a brief clip was used in American Music awards in about 93.

supremesouluk2
08-25-2010, 04:29 PM
A lot of bookings were done upto six mnths in advance and it just conincided with this particular venue and I believe that the ladies were already booked int The Frontier Hotel, and as their contracts came up for newel the day after their last night of the engagement it sort of makes sense to me for that to be Diana's last concert with Mary and Cindy. I believe they started the run at the Frontier at the end of December. Perhaps it was too short notice to pull Diana from the engagement and have Jean stand in?

marybrewster
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks nomis and supremesoul.

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
All of this was carefully preplanned to the last detail well in advance. Mr. Gordy left nothing to chance - this was a very serious move to make. I was told that Tony Turner brought the commemorative plaque that The Frontier Hotel had displayed from the hotel, when they pre sold all the fixtures before the hotel was demolished.

jonc
09-01-2010, 06:06 PM
All of this was carefully preplanned to the last detail well in advance. Mr. Gordy left nothing to chance - this was a very serious move to make. I was told that Tony Turner brought the commemorative plaque that The Frontier Hotel had displayed from the hotel, when they pre sold all the fixtures before the hotel was demolished.

TOPDIVA/Tony Turner are back with a vengeance

Glenpwood
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
someone please catch Tony at one of his upcoming appearances listed in the different threads and have him send us all a picture of him clutching said purchased plaque like Diana did in the farewell photos to the forum so we can all enjoy it too....:)

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Trust and believe - my dear - top diva's here. I am sorry i am late - it is good to be home.

bradsupremes
09-01-2010, 06:23 PM
"I believe I heard Tony Turner....I was told that Tony Turner....A friend of mine who is good friends with Tony Turner said....Tony Turner once said..."

Lordy! Enough already! Nobody wants to hear about that fool!

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
That is still the "FOOL" that laughed all the way to TWO BANKS, HONEY!!!!! You better count that cash BRADSUPREMES!!! LOL

bradsupremes
09-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I couldn't care less what you made on your books. Just stop bringing yourself up in every topic. It's ridiculous and annoying.

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
While you may not want to know about Tony Turner - I am one of his many fans - and some of us on this forum want to know what he is up too. This is a free country and you are welcomed to not give a damn about Tony Turner - so keeping that in mind - just SKIP YOUR HAPPY WAY OVER any thing said about him, and you won't have to be bothered by the "ridiculous and annoying". KISS!!!

JimBagley
09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Like a bad cold, Tony Turner is back!

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Just like when Diana left The Supremes all these years later we still chat about it - I guess since Tony Turner was a part of all that for better or worse we will always have some comments good or bad about that DIVA as well. There is no cure for the common cold - so keep it movin!!!

smark21
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Diana Ross may think she's the Supreme Diva, but really it's Tony Turner.

jonc
09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Just like when Diana left The Supremes all these years later we still chat about it - I guess since Tony Turner was a part of all that for better or worse we will always have some comments good or bad about that DIVA as well. There is no cure for the common cold - so keep it movin!!!

The Viscountess Turner should pay you for all the publicity you giver her TOPDIVA.

topdiva1
09-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Great Idea - I will submit a bill since I could be his publicist - !

jonc
09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Great Idea - I will submit a bill since I could be his publicist - !

Wouldn't that be you paying yourself with your own money dear?

topdiva1
09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Hell no, DEAR.

robbert
09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Quiite an interesting chat. Never knew there were raving queens in the USA, until now :cool:

jonc
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Never knew there were raving queens in the USA, until now :cool:

You are kind. Flattery will get you everywhere.

stopinthenameoflove
09-09-2010, 05:38 PM
so that sad wannabe called topdiva is actually the sad wannabe Tony Turner? I actually liked his Supremes book, but registering on a message board and bigging yourself up anonymously? Now that is sad

stopinthenameoflove
09-12-2010, 06:01 PM
funny how topdiva1 replied to a lot of threads there, but not to the one about him!