PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson IS Lena Horne!!

test

ladonna
09-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Legendary Singer Mary Wilson on GDLA
Good Day LA video report.
Updated: Thursday, 29 Sep 2011, 2:06 PM PDT
Published : Thursday, 29 Sep 2011, 2:06 PM PDT
Video from:
Good Day LA
Los Angeles - Singer Mary Wilson, who is best known as one of the original members of "The Supremes," is going on tour... performing songs of Lena Horne.
Mary will be starring in a concert based on James Gavin's book "Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project," at the Musicians Institute Concert Center.
On Thursday Mary talked to us about the performance, which will be narrated by James Gavin, and feature the musical talents of pianist Larry Dunlap, bassist Christopher Colangelo, and drummer Kendall Kay.
Watch the GDLA interview in the media player.
More info:
Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project
Musicians Institute Concert Center in Hollywood
Thursday, September 29th at 8:30 pm.

Read more: http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/good_day_la/legendary-singer-mary-wilson-on-gdla-20110929#ixzz1ZTQDhgZd

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/good_day_la/legendary-singer-mary-wilson-on-gdla-20110929

atcsm
09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
This show sounds great - any reviews from last night's perfomance?

stephanie
09-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Here is Mary singing at the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLirsJOKc8

smark21
09-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Just did a google news search and no reviews came up. However on Facebook, a fan posted pics taken after the show. Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne were at the show and posed for some pics with Mary. Debbie Sharpe was also there.

smark21
09-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Here is Mary singing at the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLirsJOKc8

Actually Stephanie, that video was uploaded in April to promote the show. It was not taken from last night's performance in LA.

atcsm
09-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Just did a google news search and no reviews came up. However on Facebook, a fan posted pics taken after the show. Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne were at the show and posed for some pics with Mary. Debbie Sharpe was also there.
That's cool - I will look for that. I thought her biggest fan would be posting like crazy about this, but he is more concerned about Diana's skin color.

jobeterob
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Only to her biggest fan I say.................if Diana bleached her everythings, surely Mary followed suit. Ne??

luke
10-01-2011, 09:37 AM
act--could you please stop trying to cause trouble and just enjoy SD?

jillfoster
10-01-2011, 10:07 AM
act--could you please stop trying to cause trouble and just enjoy sd?

amen to that!

Roberta75
10-01-2011, 11:10 AM

That's great that Cindy and Scherrie were there. Can you please tell me who is debbie Sharpe?

Penny
10-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I should've driven up to LA for that. I would have loved to have seen Cindy and Scherrie. I don't have a clue to who Debbie Sharpe is. I would guess she was a fan who happened to be there.

bradsupremes
10-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Debbie Sharpe is the lady that Mary hired along with Cindy Birdsong to tour South America in 1977 to complete some dates that the Supremes were suppose to play.

smark21
10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Didn't REDHOT say he was going to see this show? He hasn't reported back to us yet.

Roberta75
10-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Debbie Sharpe is the lady that Mary hired along with Cindy Birdsong to tour South America in 1977 to complete some dates that the Supremes were suppose to play.

And all this time I thought there were only 9 Suremes. I just learned something new today. Thanks bradsupremes for the information. How long was Debbie Sharpe a Supreme?

Thanks again.

Roberta

bradsupremes
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Roberta75, Debbie Sharpe was hired by Mary to be a backup singer even though they were promoted as the Supremes by the venues they played at. Debbie was never signed with Motown as a Supreme thus she was never a Supreme. She was only a backup singer as were the other ladies hired by Mary after 1977.

rod_rick
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
And all this time I thought there were only 9 Suremes. I just learned something new today. Thanks bradsupremes for the information. How long was Debbie Sharpe a Supreme?

Thanks again.

Roberta
Roberta Debbie [[aka Deborah Sharpe Taylor)is also a gifted actress and vocal coach. If you saw the Michael Jackson Homegoing Celebration, Debbie put together and directed the childrens choir. She also sang with Andre Crouch for the same service. She's also a great lady, who belong to the same bible study group as Scherrie Payne.

milven
10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
And all this time I thought there were only 9 Supremes. I just learned something new today. Thanks bradsupremes for the information. How long was Debbie Sharpe a Supreme?

Thanks again.

Roberta

Debbie Sharpe is as much a Supreme as is Kaaaaaren Ragland. After Mary left the group she continued to tour under various Supremes billings. Debbie was a back up singer called a Supreme in the billing but was never a Supreme. The difference is Debbie never milked it for the money like Kaaaaaren did

Roberta75
10-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Roberta75, Debbie Sharpe was hired by Mary to be a backup singer even though they were promoted as the Supremes by the venues they played at. Debbie was never signed with Motown as a Supreme thus she was never a Supreme. She was only a backup singer as were the other ladies hired by Mary after 1977.

Oh so Miss Sharp wasn't a Supreme? I guess I got confused because the photo you posted said Las Supremas which means The Supremes in English. I had never heard of this lady until today.

Roberta75
10-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Roberta Debbie [[aka Deborah Sharpe Taylor)is also a gifted actress and vocal coach. If you saw the Michael Jackson Homegoing Celebration, Debbie put together and directed the childrens choir. She also sang with Andre Crouch for the same service. She's also a great lady, who belong to the same bible study group as Scherrie Payne.

Well if Debbie is a friend of Scherrie's and goes to Bible study she's Aokay in my book.

jobeterob
10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Milven is right, as usual. Debbie doesn't milk the name Supremes the way Kaaren does ~ it's just too much. The public doesn't know but the fans do.

Mary was young when she made these decisions not to pursue the name and to hire all these people to be Supremes; she has visions of a successful solo career and hits and the name appeared dead. It's the kind of decision that gets made by many uninformed or ill advised performers even today. And the consequences never really stop.

Roberta75
10-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Milven is right, as usual. Debbie doesn't milk the name Supremes the way Kaaren does ~ it's just too much. The public doesn't know but the fans do.

Mary was young when she made these decisions not to pursue the name and to hire all these people to be Supremes; she has visions of a successful solo career and hits and the name appeared dead. It's the kind of decision that gets made by many uninformed or ill advised performers even today. And the consequences never really stop.

I had never heard of Debbie Sharpe Taylor until today and only on this forum. I google her and it says here that she was a Supreme with Mary and Cindy. http://www.capopandjazzcouncil.com/DeBorah.html

marv2
10-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Mary Wilson starring in "The Lena Horne Project"!

marv2
10-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Mary after the show with the "infamous" Margie Haber![[far right)

Koach
10-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Mary looks very excited. She must be enjoying her new role as Lena Horne.

supremesouluk2
10-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Is this the same debbie Sharpe who recorded backing vocals for FRances Nero during her Motorcity years?

Roberta75
10-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Who is Margie Haber?

blueskies
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Who is Margie Haber?

And.....why is she infamous?

marv2
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
And.....why is she infamous?

Margie was with Mary the night Berry Gordy made that phone call to tell her that he wanted to replace Jean Terrell. Mary said no and he pretty much "washed his hands of the group".

Roberta75
10-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Margie was with Mary the night Berry Gordy made that phone call to tell her that he wanted to replace Jean Terrell. Mary said no and he pretty much "washed his hands of the group".

Outside of a handful of die hard fans that that hardly makes her infamous.

marv2
10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I love Debbie Sharpe. Great singer, great lady!

blueskies
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I love Debbie Sharpe. Great singer, great lady!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4oVymuMro&feature=related

marv2
10-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Outside of a handful of die hard fans that that hardly makes her infamous.

No, you are wrong! Outside of the 1.75 million + people that bought and read "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" definitely makes her infamous and somewhat famous as Mary mentions her several times throughout the book!

marv2
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4oVymuMro&feature=related

That is one talented lady........and can sing!!! Thanks Blueskies.

Marv

BobC
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Margie was talked about in Mary's book "Dreamgirl." She came along when DR and the Supremes were starting to fall apart in the late 60's--Mary said she was really happy to have a friend outside of show-biz and Margie was that.

Roberta75
10-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Margie was talked about in Mary's book "Dreamgirl." She came along when DR and the Supremes were starting to fall apart in the late 60's--Mary said she was really happy to have a friend outside of show-biz and Margie was that.

Thanks for the information BobC although I still fail to see what makes the woman infamous.

Koach
10-05-2011, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure if this was mentioned here, but how did Mary get the role? Did she audition, or was it offered to her?

smark21
10-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the information BobC although I still fail to see what makes the woman infamous.

Infamous implies that one did something terrible or unforgiveable. Furthermore, since die hards are asking about Margie, I doubt the casual reader who bought the book 24 years ago and then disposed of it would have remembered Margie and all of her supposedly notorious antics.

Roberta75
10-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Infamous implies that one did something terrible or unforgiveable. Furthermore, since die hards are asking about Margie, I doubt the casual reader who bought the book 24 years ago and then disposed of it would have remembered Margie and all of her supposedly notorious antics.

Exactly smark21. I doubt this Margie woman would want to be in the company of Casey Anthony, Lee Harvey Oswald, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Eva Braun and Lizzie Borden. Now they are all truly infamous. Margie Haber is neither famous nor infamous.

Roberta75
10-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure if this was mentioned here, but how did Mary get the role? Did she audition, or was it offered to her?

This article explains how mary got the role Koach.

http://www.lasentinel.net/Stormy-Weather-The-Lena-Horne-Project-Starring-Mary-Wilson.html

skooldem1
10-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Is Mary playing Lena, or is she just singing Lena songs in a tribute show?

jillfoster
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Because Diane hated her.

marv2
10-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Because Diane hated her.

uh huh and Margie put Diane in her place on numerous occaisions! LOL!

luke
10-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Great pics Marv; brad-is that Debbie or Jean with Mary and Cindy? JRT also speaks quite a bit about Margie in his book and seemed to indicate Diana was jealous of Margie's relationship with Mary. Maybe some people should be knowledgeable of the facts before criticizing others. Or just zip it!

Roberta75
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Great pics Marv; brad-is that Debbie or Jean with Mary and Cindy? JRT also speaks quite a bit about Margie in his book and seemed to indicate Diana was jealous of Margie's relationship with Mary. Maybe some people should be knowledgeable of the facts before criticizing others. Or just zip it!

And maybe some people should look up the meaning of infamous before they start blabbing that a woman is infamous, when she clearly isn't.

bradsupremes
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Luke, it's Debbie with Mary and Cindy. It's funny you ask that because it does look like Jean. When I first saw the picture, I thought "Hmmm...that looks like Jean," but you can tell Mary and Cindy's hair reflect the late 70's and Debbie is shorter than Mary and Cindy whereas Jean was taller.

marv2
10-05-2011, 07:56 PM
And maybe some people should look up the meaning of infamous before they start blabbing that a woman is infamous, when she clearly isn't.

She's infamous to those who know, maybe not to the World at large. You just don't know much.....

smark21
10-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Is Mary playing Lena, or is she just singing Lena songs in a tribute show?

From what I've heard about the show, Mary is singing Lena's songs while author James Garvin reads excerpts from his biography of Lena Horne. The show has been booked to play a couple of colleges in the upcoming months. It sounds like a nice educational/historical/musical endeavor.

skooldem1
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks. Sounds like a good show.

skooldem1
10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I wonder if she sings "Believe in yourself" from the Wiz?

Roberta75
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I wonder if she sings "Believe in yourself" from the Wiz?

It would be a great choice if she did.

BobC
10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Roberta--I've read all the show-biz Motown memoirs, and I have read nothing even remotely "infamous" about Margie Haber. As for who was a Supreme and who wasn't--I'd go with who was actually signed by Motown to be a Supreme.

smark21
10-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Here's an article in advance of the show in Alexandria, Louisiana. Several songs that are to be performed are mentioned, including the inevitable Stormy Weather, and a song that used to be in The Supremes nightclub act, It's Alright with Me. http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20111006/LIFESTYLE/110060302

Roberta75
10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Roberta--I've read all the show-biz Motown memoirs, and I have read nothing even remotely "infamous" about Margie Haber. As for who was a Supreme and who wasn't--I'd go with who was actually signed by Motown to be a Supreme.

It's pretty apparent to most that the person who insists that Margie Haber is "infamous" has absolutely no comprehension of the meaning of the word infamous.

Penny
10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
It's pretty apparent to most that the person who insists that Margie Haber is "infamous" has absolutely no comprehension of the meaning of the word infamous.

I am relatively new here but I learn quickly, Roberta. Of whom you speak has made it clear they have no comprehension of anything based in reality.

Have a great day. I have deliveries to make.

Penny

Roberta75
10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
I am relatively new here but I learn quickly, Roberta. Of whom you speak has made it clear they have no comprehension of anything based in reality.

Have a great day. I have deliveries to make.

Penny

You have a great day as well Penny and thanks for your message about the mint foot cream. Please check your inbox as I sent you an order.

REDHOT
10-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Yes Smark21,i was there,yes If You Believe was included in the show,but in a movie video,with Miss Horne singing it.[[great video)but everyone was there to see Miss Mary Wilson in The Lena Horne Project,Mary was not playing Miss Horne,but singing her songs,and doing a great job,singing them,the show is based on James Gavin's book Stormy Weather,in the show Mr.Gavin tells the story,of how he got the chance to meet Mary,and how they put the show together.[[i love it)i don't know Miss Horne's music,but watching Mary salute Miss Horne,makes me wanna know more about her life,some of the songs i do remember were,Stormy WeatherWhy Was I Born,Honeysuckle Rose,[[and some i don't know the names)but the Fans[[like myself) came from all over,San Francisco,New York,and what a great performance Mary gave,Mary also told a story, about how she,and Supreme members Cindy Birdsong,and Diana Ross met Miss Horne,in London's Talk Of The Town,Mary said Miss Horne talked with them,after the show.[[great story)and it's alway great to see Supreme Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne,with her sister Freda Payne, in the house.it's hard to believe that this Mary Wilson,one of the original Supremes,starring in this show,Mary changed her gowns,about 5 times,when ever Mary hit the stage, shes a pro,no i didn't take picture's,but thank Marv2,for posting those great picture's,like you said Smark21,its Educational,Historical,Musical Endeavor,i also i got the chance to meet Mr.Gavin after the show,and told him,that this show should go to Broadway,and he said,starring Mary Wilson,[[i love it)what i'm trying to say,if James Gavin's Stormy Weather,The Lena Horne Project,starring Mary Wilson,comes to your city,go see it,you're gonna love it.[[smile)
Mary ended the show with, The Lady Is A Tramp,with 2 standing ovations,yes,it was a night to remember
Also a special thanks to The Misician Institute
Please stay positive

marv2
10-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes Smark21,i was there,yes If You Believe was included in the show,but in a movie video,with Miss Horne singing it.[[great video)but everyone was there to see Miss Mary Wilson in The Lena Horne Project,Mary was not playing Miss Horne,but singing her songs,and doing a great job,singing them,the show is based on James Gavin's book Stormy Weather,in the show Mr.Gavin tells the story,of how he got the chance to meet Mary,and how they put the show together.[[i love it)i don't know Miss Horne's music,but watching Mary salute Miss Horne,makes me wanna know more about her life,some of the songs i do remember were,Stormy WeatherWhy Was I Born,Honeysuckle Rose,[[and some i don't know the names)but the Fans[[like myself) came from all over,San Francisco,New York,and what a great performance Mary gave,Mary also told a story, about how she,and Supreme members Cindy Birdsong,and Diana Ross met Miss Horne,in London's Talk Of The Town,Mary said Miss Horne talked with them,after the show.[[great story)and it's alway great to see Supreme Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne,with her sister Freda Payne, in the house.it's hard to believe that this Mary Wilson,one of the original Supremes,starring in this show,Mary changed her gowns,about 5 times,when ever Mary hit the stage, shes a pro,no i didn't take picture's,but thank Marv2,for posting those great picture's,like you said Smark21,its Educational,Historical,Musical Endeavor,i also i got the chance to meet Mr.Gavin after the show,and told him,that this show should go to Broadway,and he said,starring Mary Wilson,[[i love it)what i'm trying to say,if James Gavin's Stormy Weather,The Lena Horne Project,starring Mary Wilson,comes to your city,go see it,you're gonna love it.[[smile)
Mary ended the show with, The Lady Is A Tramp,with 2 standing ovations,yes,it was a night to remember
Also a special thanks to The Misician Institute
Please stay positive

Thank you for that wonderful review Red Hot! We are going to have to convince Mary to bring this show to the Big Apple [[smile). Yes, by all means "please stay positive..."

Marv

jobeterob
10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Mary was truly at her worst in those few years when she seemed to follow Diana around, uninvited. Perhaps it was to play to the media, attract attention and maybe a record deal, but it showed a complete lack of respect for herself; I still wonder why anyone would ever do that. It seemed to be asking for trouble ~ asking to be turned away by the doorman as an uninvited guest to a private function, which is exactly what happened.

Hopefully those days are long gone; Believe in Yourself is a good choice.

marv2
10-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Mary was truly at her worst in those few years when she seemed to follow Diana around, uninvited. Perhaps it was to play to the media, attract attention and maybe a record deal, but it showed a complete lack of respect for herself; I still wonder why anyone would ever do that. It seemed to be asking for trouble ~ asking to be turned away by the doorman as an uninvited guest to a private function, which is exactly what happened.

Hopefully those days are long gone; Believe in Yourself is a good choice.

and what does that have to do with this thread?

REDHOT
10-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't fall for it Marv2,i hope they[[James Gavin)put,Believe In Yourself in the show,with Miss Wilson singing it,and again,
Please stay positive

stephanie
10-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I find it interesting that Mary has been able to get these types of gigs there are many others that I am sure would have jumped at the chance to do this who may be more well known to the general public. Mary is liked amongst many people and it is so good to see that her love of jazz has served her well outside of the Supremes world. I am truly happy for her and she looks great!