PDA

View Full Version : Tony Bennett tops the charts.

test

Roberta75
09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
At 85 years young God bless his heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15105385

smark21
09-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Here's another story on it: http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74416/week-ending-sept-25-2011-albums-three-records-fall/

tsull1
09-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the great news! Love Tony, my favorite jazz singer. Had the good fortune to see him in concert about five years ago and it was awesome!

mark speck
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I bought it last Friday, and it was worth every penny!!

Best,

Mark

jobeterob
09-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Legendary singer Tony Bennett has become the oldest living performer to score a US number one album, hitting the top spot at the age of 85.

The album Duets II, which features Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga and Mariah Carey, is also the first US number one of the star's 60-year career.

The crooner, who has won 14 Grammy Awards, rose to fame in the 1950s.

The chart news comes after Bennett caused controversy by suggesting that US action prompted the 9/11 attacks.

In an interview with radio host Howard Stern last week, Bennett said: "Who are the terrorists? Are we the terrorists or are they the terrorists? Two wrongs don't make a right.

"They flew the plane in, but we caused it. We were bombing them and they told us to stop."

He later issued an apology, saying that as a World War II veteran, he was "proud to fight to protect our values".

He added that he believed that "violence begets violence and that war is the lowest form of human behaviour".

"I am sorry if my statements suggested anything other than an expression of my love for my country, my hope for humanity and my desire for peace throughout the world," he added.

Duets II sold 179,000 copies in its first week, according to Billboard magazine.

It includes Amy Winehouse's last recording, on the track Body And Soul.

Last week's number one album, Lady Antebellum's Own the Night, fell to number two, while Adele's 21 dropped to third place.

jobeterob
09-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Incredible about Tony.

I also greatly like what he said about 9/11 and terrorists.

I still have questions in my head from time to time about who was worse.......Bush and Cheney or Saddam. Seemed like birds of a feather to me.

ladonna
09-30-2011, 12:24 AM
american supremeism? could it have been resolved any other way?

jobeterob
09-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I think yes................go after Afghanistan where the problem originated; deal with Saudi Arabia where they came from. But it had nothing to do with Iraq. Iraq would have strung them all up. George went after Saddam because Saddam caused George's father to lose the next election.

A very good case can be made that George Bush and Dick Cheney are war criminals.

smark21
09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
I think yes................go after Afghanistan where the problem originated; deal with Saudi Arabia where they came from. But it had nothing to do with Iraq. Iraq would have strung them all up. George went after Saddam because Saddam caused George's father to lose the next election.

A very good case can be made that George Bush and Dick Cheney are war criminals.

No, Saddam Hussein didn't cause GHW Bush to lose the 92 election. It was a bad economy at the time. I think W. and Cheney went after Saddam because they thought GHW Bush was too soft on Saddam in 1991 by stopping at the Kuwait/Iraq border. Also W. had some serious issues with his father as he was never the favored son and was something of a disappointment to GHW because he was an aimless drunk for a good chunk of his life and not the brightest bulb.

soulster
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
George went after Saddam because Saddam caused George's father to lose the next election.

No! That is not why the first George Bush lost the election. It was because the economy was down. Pure and simple. The first war in defending Kuwait against Iraq was popular and supported by the U.S. citizens. Kuwait asked us to help. Bin Laden was angry because we stole his thunder. He wanted Arabs to help and for us to keep out. So, he retaliated by attacking us on 9/11.

Yes, but it will never happen.

mr_june
09-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why his song "Georgia Rose" is not on any of his CDs. I think it's probably cause of the controversial lyrics some of which are.

Some people don't think it's right
Cause your skin is dark as night
You know you aren't lilly white
To the good Lord up above
We're all just the same
Don't hang your head in shame

Georgia Rose, Georgia Rose
Don't be blue cause your black
Georgia Rose

I remember hearing the song in the 60's but as a kid only remember the pretty musical arrange and the title being sung but for some reason Mr. Bennet is keeping Georgia Rose in the closet. I found the 45 RPM on Amazon but I want a cleaner sounding copy. Can anyone here add anything to this?

soulster
09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why his song "Georgia Rose" is not on any of his CDs.

The song itself only got to #89 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. So, that may be the primary reason you don't see it on many of his comps. However, it IS on CD. http://www.musicstack.com/item/166103419

mr_june
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks Soulster but it's not on the album in that link. I looked at that site myself before posting. It's only on the album "A Time For Love" which is not available on CD from what I've found.