PDA

View Full Version : Rock and roll hall of fame inductees announced...

test

timmyfunk
09-27-2011, 06:41 PM
...and once again, Kiss is NOT on the list. Oh happy day!!!!!

I should have said nominations.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/guns-n-roses-and-eric-b-rakim-crack-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominee-list/

Doug-Morgan
09-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I haven't done my annual should they/will they get in blog.....it will show up next week......, but there are some obvious choices in there including Donovan, Freddie King, and War. Some borderline ones too, like The Spinners, and Rufus and some that have no business in there like Heart. The one that really intreagues me is the Small Faces/Faces. It's almost but not quite lumping two bands [[the Steve Mariott one and the Rod Stewart one) together.

But why did they renominate Laura Nyro and Donna Summer again? It's not that they aren't worthy, but the RRHoF should mandate a one year break between nominations. I believe this is Laura's third year in a row, and it makes it look like someone on the nominating committee really wants her in the hall.

JimBagley
09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Chaka Khan is one of the greatest singers of all time. I've never heard her referred to as borderline before.

marv2
09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I get Eric B. & Rakim as there were influential, but how about The Sugar Hill Gang and Kurtis Blow? They too were very influential and early in the game. Two of my other favorites still need to be nominated and those being The Guess Who and Rare Earth!

Marv

Doug-Morgan
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM
JimBagley.....
......I meant boarderline as to inclusion in the RRHoF, and note that the band is being nominated, not Chaka herself. I tend to look more at the "influence" aspect of the nomination....here's where I stick my food in my mouth.....and tend to feel that The Marvelettes deserve a shot first. The RRHoF nominations seem to be trending away from many deserving "first generation" acts.

soulster
09-27-2011, 09:24 PM

I happen to like Kiss.

JimBagley
09-27-2011, 09:50 PM
JimBagley.....
......I meant boarderline as to inclusion in the RRHoF, and note that the band is being nominated, not Chaka herself. I tend to look more at the "influence" aspect of the nomination....here's where I stick my food in my mouth.....and tend to feel that The Marvelettes deserve a shot first. The RRHoF nominations seem to be trending away from many deserving "first generation" acts.

I understand. The Marvelettes are at the top of my list of overdue performers.

tsull1
09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
It's a good day -- my favorite group of all-time, The Spinners -- have FINALLY been nominated!!!

:D:D:cool::cool::D:D:cool::cool::cool:

milven
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
The only two that impress me are War and the Spinners. There is an alternative People's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in which we the people can vote. It has a lot of my favorites on the ballot this year. I never heard of the People's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Here is link http://thepeopleshall.blogspot.com/

mark speck
09-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Guns 'n' Roses? Eric B. & Rakim? Come on...

Still no sign of Rush, Yes, Mitch Ryder, Mary Wells, Joe Cocker, Boz Scaggs, Chicago, to name a few deserving people.

As for Kiss, I think they got boxed out with the induction of Alice Cooper, who had been doing the shock-rock thing well before they came into play. They'll get in eventually.

Best,

Mark

marv2
09-28-2011, 12:03 AM
JimBagley.....

I think you make a strong point regarding the trending away from many first generation acts. I agree that the Marvelettes should have been inducted long ago. I don't agree however with this influence factor mainly because it is so vague. Many acts, groups and performers influence various people for various reasons. How about more focus on the quality of the acts work? I mean there are songs by performers that most people liked even if the act was no where near there list of personal favorites.

marv2
09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I did not appreciate KISS other than their song "Beth" which I thought was nice.

timmyfunk
09-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I happen to like Kiss.

Which you have every right to? I would just like for someone to explain to me why?
If this band did not use any make up or tired ass pyrotechnics, how successful would they have become?

tsull1
09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I've never heard of Eric B. or Rakim, to be honest. First time I've heard of them, and none of my friends know them either. They know who Kurtis Blow is, and Grand Master Flash, and Sugar Hill Gang, but not those first two.

It's not a Hall of Influence, it's a Hall of Fame. If it's not a Hall of Fame, call it something else. Record sales and popularity matter. If they don't, change the name of the place.

Yes, Marvelettes should be in.

franjoy56
10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Once again, The RRHOF has snubbed their noses at the real hit makers of the past that deserve to be in

THE MARVELETTES
THE SHANGRILAS
THE CRYSTALS
THE CHIFFONS
THE HONEYCONE
DONNA SUMMERS.
TINA TURNER

AND ON AND ON AND ON

CAN ANYONE TELL US WHAT ARE THE HITS OF JOAN JETT & THE HEARTBREAKERS, I AM NOT BEING FICICIOUS, I JUST
WANT TO GET EDUCATED, I WAS RAISED IN THE 1960'S AND KNOW MOST OF THE ARTISTS THRU THE 80'S AFTER THAT
I GET LOST.

motony
10-03-2011, 08:40 AM
sorry, I don' think the Chiffons should be in there, 2 hits and they were not influential.I agree, Joan Jett should not be in there.

timmyfunk
10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I've never heard of Eric B. or Rakim, to be honest. First time I've heard of them, and none of my friends know them either. They know who Kurtis Blow is, and Grand Master Flash, and Sugar Hill Gang, but not those first two.

It's not a Hall of Influence, it's a Hall of Fame. If it's not a Hall of Fame, call it something else. Record sales and popularity matter. If they don't, change the name of the place.

Yes, Marvelettes should be in.

You've never heard of Eric B. and Rakim? They were one of the genres biggest hit makers at the turn of the decade [[1980's into the 90's). Follow The Leader, Paid In Full, I Ain't No Joke....I could go on and on.

I think it has to be a balance of fame and influence. Influence is definitely a factor.

Doug-Morgan
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
OK, I've been a little leary of posting the annual trashing because of what I said about The Spinners, but here it is....

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblogs/music-for-older-folks/2011/oct/03/the-annual-2-part-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-why-d/

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblogs/music-for-older-folks/2011/oct/04/pt-2/

Please be kind, I'm in so so health, you know.....

luke
10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
The Chiffons had three big hits-One Fine Day, Hes So Fine and Sweet Talkin Guy; as well as a moderate hit, critics' fave the non-typical girl group record-Nobody Knows Whats Goin On in My Mind But Me. As the Four Pennies they had a slammin' Spectoresque record-When The Boys Happy which should of been a smash. Laura Nyro's body of work and songs deserve huge recognition.

floyjoy678
10-07-2011, 07:29 PM
The Shangri-las definitely deserve to be in there, they are definitely overlooked. It's a shame that only two of them are still alive.

marv2
10-07-2011, 08:39 PM
The Chiffons had three big hits-One Fine Day, Hes So Fine and Sweet Talkin Guy; as well as a moderate hit, critics' fave the non-typical girl group record-Nobody Knows Whats Goin On in My Mind But Me. As the Four Pennies they had a slammin' Spectoresque record-When The Boys Happy which should of been a smash. Laura Nyro's body of work and songs deserve huge recognition.

But they didn't play guitars.......

dianesfan_1965
10-07-2011, 08:44 PM

I should have said nominations.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/guns-n-roses-and-eric-b-rakim-crack-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominee-list/

Why "Oh happy day" that KISS was not inducted?

dianesfan_1965
10-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Once again, The RRHOF has snubbed their noses at the real hit makers of the past that deserve to be in

THE MARVELETTES
THE SHANGRILAS
THE CRYSTALS
THE CHIFFONS
THE HONEYCONE
DONNA SUMMERS.
TINA TURNER

AND ON AND ON AND ON

CAN ANYONE TELL US WHAT ARE THE HITS OF JOAN JETT & THE HEARTBREAKERS, I AM NOT BEING FICICIOUS, I JUST
WANT TO GET EDUCATED, I WAS RAISED IN THE 1960'S AND KNOW MOST OF THE ARTISTS THRU THE 80'S AFTER THAT
I GET LOST.

No Tina? That's some shit. Did Ike and Tina get inducted?

Doug-Morgan
10-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Donna Summer IS nominated [[for the 3rd time) this year.

For a couple of years, I've been advocating the idea of having an "vetaren's committee" for early artists, in the same way the Baseball Hall Of Fame does. As we move further away timewise from these folks, they drop out of mind in the eyes of some people.

reese
10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
No Tina? That's some shit. Did Ike and Tina get inducted?

Yes. They were inducted back in the 90s, I believe. Phil Spector made the induction speech.

tsull1
10-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Doug, I like your blog, but you're way off on The Spinners as a mid-level act, especially considering they outsold most of the other soul groups you mentioned ahead of them. Check the charts again. Also, everyone I know, knows of The Spinners. I mean everyone. I know several people who don't know who The Delfonics are, or can name the song but not the group Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.

I'm biased, but I seriously don't see how you can call The Spinners a mid-level act when through the mid-70's they sold the most soul albums and singles of any vocal group.

Doug-Morgan
10-09-2011, 07:49 AM
tsull.....
.....it's a perspective I have about the group that I can't really explain, except that I can't shake the feeling that there are more important Philly style vocal grops out there than The Spinners. Wouldn't bother me if they got in, though.

In a way this is what makes Rock and Roll [[in all it's forms) so much fun. Everybody's got an opinion, and nobody's wrong. I can see your view, and I can understand the view of Kiss fans. I took the position that Heart doesn't belong, not a popular view out here, but I can see why the Ann and Nancy Wilson crowd would love 'em.

Got to admit though, this year was a pretty weak field. Something like a third of them were repeat nominations, and 4 were up for the third time in a row.

tsull1
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't consider The Spinners a "Philly" group. They were never on PIR, they were on NY-based Atlantic. While they recorded in Philly, they also recorded in NYC and Seattle among many places. The original four come from Detroit. I think G.C. Cameron is from the south but he moved to Detroit. Phillippe Wynne is from Cincinnati. Not one group member has been from Philly.

Their producer Thom Bell and fabulous backing group, MFSB, is from Philly. They are considered "Philly Soul" I guess. But they were Motown first and after Bell left, they weren't considered Philly again. Just nit-picking I guess, but I look at their overall catalog as not Philly-specific.

jobeterob
10-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Def Leppard: Sabbath and us too ‘dirty’ for Hall of FameKim Hughes Oct 15, 2011 9 Comments

Outspoken Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott has once again come out swinging against the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, specifically, its failure to induct his band or others of that ilk.

In a far-reaching interview with DailyRecord.co.uk about Leppard’s upcoming UK tour with Mötley Crüe, the 52-year-old Sheffield-reared screamer said, “The only people who get into the Hall Of Fame are the Tom Pettys and Bruce Springsteens. They don't want us or Black Sabbath in there because it is seen to be dirty. It is just a game and you fall foul of it sometimes."
Two weeks ago, the Hall of Fame announced the shortlist of possible inductees for 2012, which include Seattle rockers Heart – who played North American sheds this summer with Leppard – plus Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, The Cure, Donna Summer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Laura Nyro and Beastie Boys among others.

And frankly, as we noted when we first reported the story, Elliott has a point. While no one doubts the talent of a Beastie Boys or Laura Nyro, their impact on the "evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll" – the Hall of Fame’s stated criteria for admission - is debatable. Impact on rap and folk, for sure. But rock and roll?

In that same interview [[quoted by Blabbernouth) Elliott also had some interesting comments on Mötley Crüe and the perception that they are still the hard-partiers of yore.

"Because of a documentary where you see someone throwing a telly out the window of a hotel, people get the impression that is what we all do," Elliott is quoted as saying. "You talk to Nikki Sixx. He has been clean since he was toe-tagged once in the '80s. He's a far more sensible character these days.

“He has his own radio show here in the States and has had me on the show a couple of times. His stories are similar to mine. He dresses like Nikki Sixx with the warpaint on. But without trying to blow their image, they are living on past reputation and I don't mean that in a bad way."

"Mötley Crüe have all had their issues," Elliott continues. "I'm not suggesting they are teetotal but Mick Mars has been pretty ill for a long time and just to get him onstage is probably an effort. [[Mars suffers from a chronic and inflammatory form of arthritis). He is hardly likely to be propping the bar up until three in the morning after a gig.

“What their reputation is now is what they do onstage and how they present their show, and that is what Crüe are good at. Those guys were more known for their antics than their music and I think, eventually, that started to annoy them.

"We used to get riled when people called us a hair metal band. If that's true, then so are Led Zeppelin. It's a ridiculously stupid, lazy term by people who can't be bothered listening to the music because they are fans of REM or Tom Waits. We've put up with that all our lives.”

soulster
10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Def Leppard: Sabbath and us too ‘dirty’ for Hall of FameKim Hughes Oct 15, 2011 9 Comments

Outspoken Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott has once again come out swinging against the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, specifically, its failure to induct his band or others of that ilk.

In a far-reaching interview with DailyRecord.co.uk about Leppard’s upcoming UK tour with Mötley Crüe, the 52-year-old Sheffield-reared screamer said, “The only people who get into the Hall Of Fame are the Tom Pettys and Bruce Springsteens. They don't want us or Black Sabbath in there because it is seen to be dirty. It is just a game and you fall foul of it sometimes."
Two weeks ago, the Hall of Fame announced the shortlist of possible inductees for 2012, which include Seattle rockers Heart – who played North American sheds this summer with Leppard – plus Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, The Cure, Donna Summer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Laura Nyro and Beastie Boys among others.

And frankly, as we noted when we first reported the story, Elliott has a point. While no one doubts the talent of a Beastie Boys or Laura Nyro, their impact on the "evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll" – the Hall of Fame’s stated criteria for admission - is debatable. Impact on rap and folk, for sure. But rock and roll?

In that same interview [[quoted by Blabbernouth) Elliott also had some interesting comments on Mötley Crüe and the perception that they are still the hard-partiers of yore.

"Because of a documentary where you see someone throwing a telly out the window of a hotel, people get the impression that is what we all do," Elliott is quoted as saying. "You talk to Nikki Sixx. He has been clean since he was toe-tagged once in the '80s. He's a far more sensible character these days.

“He has his own radio show here in the States and has had me on the show a couple of times. His stories are similar to mine. He dresses like Nikki Sixx with the warpaint on. But without trying to blow their image, they are living on past reputation and I don't mean that in a bad way."

"Mötley Crüe have all had their issues," Elliott continues. "I'm not suggesting they are teetotal but Mick Mars has been pretty ill for a long time and just to get him onstage is probably an effort. [[Mars suffers from a chronic and inflammatory form of arthritis). He is hardly likely to be propping the bar up until three in the morning after a gig.

“What their reputation is now is what they do onstage and how they present their show, and that is what Crüe are good at. Those guys were more known for their antics than their music and I think, eventually, that started to annoy them.

"We used to get riled when people called us a hair metal band. If that's true, then so are Led Zeppelin. It's a ridiculously stupid, lazy term by people who can't be bothered listening to the music because they are fans of REM or Tom Waits. We've put up with that all our lives.”

Joe Elliot is on the money. And, he's right about these labels people place on bands they don't like: hair bands, corporate rockers, waifs, boy-bands, tarts, ect. Next time I hear someone refer to Def Leppard [[who, BTW, were one of my favorite bands of the 80s) as a "hair band", a term that is often used disparagingly, , i'll throw out the name Led Zeppelin out there and see how they react. I'll bet money they attempt to defend Led Zeppelin by their music, with would be nothing but bias. And, that attempted defense would come from the same people who whine about what they call non-rock acts like Run-D-M-C and Chic being nominated or inducted. And, what most of those people forget is that none of this would have been possible without Black blues and roots country, which all of what we know as popular music grew out of.

timmyfunk
10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Joe Elliot is on the money. And, he's right about these labels people place on bands they don't like: hair bands, corporate rockers, waifs, boy-bands, tarts, ect. Next time I hear someone refer to Def Leppard [[who, BTW, were one of my favorite bands of the 80s) as a "hair band", a term that is often used disparagingly, , i'll throw out the name Led Zeppelin out there and see how they react. I'll bet money they attempt to defend Led Zeppelin by their music, with would be nothing but bias. And, that attempted defense would come from the same people who whine about what they call non-rock acts like Run-D-M-C and Chic being nominated or inducted. And, what most of those people forget is that none of this would have been possible without Black blues and roots country, which all of what we know as popular music grew out of.

I don't know about that. The term "Hair Metal" definitely originated in the 1980's and term definitely applied to the heavy metal bands of the era. Cinderella, Poison, Def Leppard and the rest of that pack definitely invested more in mousse and hair spray than in musical development. At least in my opinion.

soulster
10-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't know about that. The term "Hair Metal" definitely originated in the 1980's and term definitely applied to the heavy metal bands of the era. Cinderella, Poison, Def Leppard and the rest of that pack definitely invested more in mousse and hair spray than in musical development. At least in my opinion.

Yeah, I know when the term originated, but do you realize the vast majority of late 60s and 70s rock bands also conform to the image? I also reject the assertion that they cared more about their looks, at least for a band like Def Leopard. I don't know how familiar you are with their music, and the progression of it, but they were always very serious about it.

tom_moulton
10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I know I can't count. One Fine day, He's So Fine, Sweet Talkin Guy and Nobody Knows What Going On In My Mind But Me were four hits that I remember from The Chiffons.

pshark
10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Joe Elliot is on the money. And, he's right about these labels people place on bands they don't like: hair bands, corporate rockers, waifs, boy-bands, tarts, ect. Next time I hear someone refer to Def Leppard [[who, BTW, were one of my favorite bands of the 80s) as a "hair band", a term that is often used disparagingly, , i'll throw out the name Led Zeppelin out there and see how they react. I'll bet money they attempt to defend Led Zeppelin by their music, with would be nothing but bias. And, that attempted defense would come from the same people who whine about what they call non-rock acts like Run-D-M-C and Chic being nominated or inducted. And, what most of those people forget is that none of this would have been possible without Black blues and roots country, which all of what we know as popular music grew out of.I really can't stand spoil brats. There are Funk bands [[OHIO PLAYERS, KOOL & THE GANG, WAR...) that's been around much longer and who are more deserving. And as for the so called "boy bands", do you mean NKOTB and all other bb after that? Well New Kids just became eligible this yr, so its too early for any complaints. But personally I hope they'll never get in.

timmyfunk
10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I know when the term originated, but do you realize the vast majority of late 60s and 70s rock bands also conform to the image? I also reject the assertion that they cared more about their looks, at least for a band like Def Leopard. I don't know how familiar you are with their music, and the progression of it, but they were always very serious about it.

Just because a lot of those bands had long hair, doesn't mean that they hair metal bands. Def Leppard weren't progressive by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, they were the worst of that genre as far as I'm concerned. Hair spray were the only things that they were 'serious' about.

timmyfunk
10-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I really can't stand spoil brats. There are Funk bands [[OHIO PLAYERS, KOOL & THE GANG, WAR...) that's been around much longer and who are more deserving. And as for the so called "boy bands", do you mean NKOTB and all other bb after that? Well New Kids just became eligible this yr, so its too early for any complaints. But personally I hope they'll never get in.

Bravo!
You hit the nail on head.

pshark
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Thank you. I've been gone from here for awhile so I need some catching up to do

Laurel
10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
When my grandchildren are old enough I want to take a big family trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What should we visit first?

paladin
10-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't consider The Spinners a "Philly" group. They were never on PIR, they were on NY-based Atlantic. While they recorded in Philly, they also recorded in NYC and Seattle among many places. The original four come from Detroit. I think G.C. Cameron is from the south but he moved to Detroit. Phillippe Wynne is from Cincinnati. Not one group member has been from Philly.

I agree with Tsull, The Spinners should glide into the Hall of Fame, here was a group who owned the airwaves when other R & B vocal groups where going through some serious changes. War...is an absolute no brainer as are The Marvelettes...........I think that maybe the Marvelettes suffered from all the similar girl groups at the time, its like they got lost somewhere between the Supremes and Martha & The Vandellas.

ajk93
10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
When my grandchildren are old enough I want to take a big family trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What should we visit first?

I was fairly dissappointed when I went not too long ago. Be sure to check ahead at what traveling attraction is
there. I believe [[I may be wrong) it currently is showcasing women in rock. In the past there have been exhibits
on The Beatles, The Supremes, The Who and so on. They typically stay for about a year. I did not like how the
museum was set up, but I believe they are making changes. Unfortunately, there are many acts that you wouldn't
even know are in there because their are no special artifacts or posters for every artist inducted. I wish each
act had a case dedicated to them, but sadly that is not the case. There is a wall of everyone's signatures reproduced.
That's pretty cool, but that's all you'll see of many of the artists.

The store makes up for it!!!!! Lot's of cool new records and CD's. The store is the best part, but very expensive.

Their site can be found here:
http://rockhall.com/

My take on who should be in-----
DONNA SUMMER
LAURA NYRO
THE SPINNERS
-and the rest of the new ones do nothing for me-
JOAN JETT
-I guess is iconic with "I Love Rock and Roll" and it is often used to define the "massive genre"

Ones That Weren't Nominated
[[And I'm fully ready to back any of these guys up!!!!!!)
KISS
DIONNE WARWICK
THE 5TH DIMENSION
JAN AND DEAN
CONNIE FRANCIS
GARY "US" BONDS
CHIC
HERB ALPERT [[AS AN ARTIST)
MARY WELLS
EARTH, WIND, AND FIRE
RING STARR
RAMSEY LEWIS
DIANA ROSS
HALL AND OATES
PETULA CLARK
HERMAN'S HERMITS
THE MARVELETTES
THE MIRACLES [[NOT JUST SMOKEY!!!!)
THE MONKEYS
KOOL AND THE GANG
WHITNEY HOUSTON [[NOW ELLIGIBLE)
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS
CHUBBY CHECKER
THE BANGLES
BON JOVI
THE GO-GO'S

pshark
10-18-2011, 07:56 PM
The Rascals were nominated in 97 along with P-Funk & Jackson 5

paladin
10-18-2011, 09:05 PM
I've been there, its a nice place. I just voted on their opinion poll for who should be included........Rufus, Spinners & War have recieved 6000-7000 votes...a far cry from Red Hot Chili Peppers........go figure.....

soulster
10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I really can't stand spoil brats. There are Funk bands [[OHIO PLAYERS, KOOL & THE GANG, WAR...) that's been around much longer and who are more deserving. And as for the so called "boy bands", do you mean NKOTB and all other bb after that? Well New Kids just became eligible this yr, so its too early for any complaints. But personally I hope they'll never get in.

Noe, i'm not saying I agree with all of the nominees. As far as i'm concerned, "boy-bands" like NKOTB have no business being near there! Those funk bands you mentioned really are more deserving, and it's a crime they haven been inducted yet!

But, you know, the R&R HOL is all politics anyway. In a way, it goes against the spirit of R&R by it's very existence!

ajk93
10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
The Rascals were nominated in 97 along with P-Funk & Jackson 5

I know. Several off my list were nominated, but never made it.:[[

pshark
10-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Oops, I meant to say The Rascals were inducted in 97 along with P-Funk & Jackson 5

ajk93
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Oops, I meant to say The Rascals were inducted in 97 along with P-Funk & Jackson 5

Ahhh, Thanks PShark!!! I missed them when I was skimming the list earlier because
they were listed as "The Young Rascals".

Thanks

bjmingo
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Go right in and vote for The Spinners. They need your vote.
http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

tsull1
10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
EWU and Hall & Oates aren't in ... really, REALLY?!!! My God, what's this world coming to. Are you kidding me, that's utter insanity on the highest levels.

timmyfunk
10-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I was fairly dissappointed when I went not too long ago. Be sure to check ahead at what traveling attraction is
there. I believe [[I may be wrong) it currently is showcasing women in rock. In the past there have been exhibits
on The Beatles, The Supremes, The Who and so on. They typically stay for about a year. I did not like how the
museum was set up, but I believe they are making changes. Unfortunately, there are many acts that you wouldn't
even know are in there because their are no special artifacts or posters for every artist inducted. I wish each
act had a case dedicated to them, but sadly that is not the case. There is a wall of everyone's signatures reproduced.
That's pretty cool, but that's all you'll see of many of the artists.

The store makes up for it!!!!! Lot's of cool new records and CD's. The store is the best part, but very expensive.

Their site can be found here:
http://rockhall.com/

My take on who should be in-----
DONNA SUMMER
LAURA NYRO
THE SPINNERS
-and the rest of the new ones do nothing for me-
JOAN JETT
-I guess is iconic with "I Love Rock and Roll" and it is often used to define the "massive genre"

Ones That Weren't Nominated
[[And I'm fully ready to back any of these guys up!!!!!!)
KISS
DIONNE WARWICK
THE 5TH DIMENSION
JAN AND DEAN
CONNIE FRANCIS
GARY "US" BONDS
CHIC
HERB ALPERT [[AS AN ARTIST)
MARY WELLS
EARTH, WIND, AND FIRE
RING STARR
RAMSEY LEWIS
DIANA ROSS
HALL AND OATES
PETULA CLARK
HERMAN'S HERMITS
THE MARVELETTES
THE MIRACLES [[NOT JUST SMOKEY!!!!)
THE MONKEYS
KOOL AND THE GANG
WHITNEY HOUSTON [[NOW ELLIGIBLE)
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS
CHUBBY CHECKER
THE BANGLES
BON JOVI
THE GO-GO'S

EWF were inducted in 2000.

arrr&bee
10-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Help me out here,when i hear[rock & roll]i think of the fifties..the coasters,little richard ect.now id it broken down into categories..pop-soul-r&b?

Doug-Morgan
10-20-2011, 07:28 PM
This question pops up a lot. "Rock & Roll" is a generic term for popular non MOR music of the 60's and early 70's and covers a wide range of genres, generally following the format of "Rock & Roll" radio stations of the time. It didn't really begin to break apart into sub-genres until the introduction of the Progressive Rock format in the late 60's and has shattered into little bits and pieces with format nitches for every taste. The list below shows all the formats that are measured for raitings by Arbitron:

http://media.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=media&cdn=b2b&tm=18&gps=531_230_1020_508&f=00&tt=12&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.arbitron.com/home/formats.htm

Remember, early pop radio used to play many styles of music butted up against each other. Look at the variety of stuff on the Keener-13 charts back in the day. It was all pretty much considered "Rock and Roll", from Pet Clark to Blue Cheer, but the term may actually be out of date by now, what with the fracturing of both radio formats and styles. Most people who listen to radio now a days don't seem to want variety, they want Hot AC, or AOR or AAA, or New AC or Urban or a hundred other "styles", and are devoted to their individual taste to the near exclusion of other styles of music.

[[phew.)

soulster
10-21-2011, 12:34 AM
This question pops up a lot. "Rock & Roll" is a generic term for popular non MOR music of the 60's and early 70's and covers a wide range of genres, generally following the format of "Rock & Roll" radio stations of the time.

Unfortunately, you gotta lot of people out there who don't think that way. Shame.

Doug-Morgan
10-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Trying to identify "Rock & Roll" nowadays is a bit like trying to nail Jello to a wall.

arrr&bee
10-22-2011, 05:51 PM
trying to identify "rock & roll" nowadays is a bit like trying to nail jello to a wall.doug,everyone knows that you can't nail jello to a wall....you have to use thumb tacks!!!