View Full Version : Diana Ross wins AMA 1975

test

dianesfan_1965
09-22-2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mF8xEgFR0M

jobeterob
09-22-2011, 11:04 PM
"Diane" was filming a movie..........

Michael and Al Greene........her friends.

Thanks for this.

Roberta75
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
She also won an AMA in 1974 for Lady Sings The Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNQYbgbImF8

marv2
09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Roberta Flack was ROBBED! I liked "Feel Like Making Love" a whole lot better than that country sounding tune Diane was nominated for. It was hardly soulful!

marv2
09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
She also won an AMA in 1974 for Lady Sings The Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNQYbgbImF8

Dick Clark was always favorable towards the Supremes. What did NARAS and the Grammies think of LSTB?

atcsm
09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Dick Clark was always favorable towards the Supremes. What did NARAS and the Grammies think of LSTB?
So predictable - nothing of this was directed at you and yet you jump in and do exactly what you blast other people for. And just for the record, this is not an attack.

marv2
09-23-2011, 01:09 PM
So predictable - nothing of this was directed at you and yet you jump in and do exactly what you blast other people for. And just for the record, this is not an attack.

Look, it was directed at me and everyone else that reads this forum. That sorry record "Last Time I Saw Him" by Diana Ross , Motown Records circ 1973 NEVER got played on the radio in Detroit, whereas Robert Flack's "Feel Like Making Love" was darn near a staple of the airwaves beginning in the late Spring of 1974.

Call it what you want. I have a right to post to this thread!

Marv

atcsm
09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Look, it was directed at me and everyone else that reads this forum. That sorry record "Last Time I Saw Him" by Diana Ross , Motown Records circ 1973 NEVER got played on the radio in Detroit, whereas Robert Flack's "Feel Like Making Love" was darn near a staple of the airwaves beginning in the late Spring of 1974.

Call it what you want. I have a right to post to this thread!

Marv

That's not what the response was to - anytime anyone brings up an award, you always point out she or the Supremes don't have a Grammy...

Jimi LaLumia
09-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I dig ya,Marv, but Roberta Flack and her qualude sonatas always put me to sleep, and "Last Time I Saw Him" WAS a hit on the biggest Top 40 station in the USA,our very own Music Radio 77WABC-AM right here in NY..

Roberta75
09-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Not really sure but the Golden Globes and The Peples Choice Awards seemed to love LSTB.

marv2
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
That's not what the response was to - anytime anyone brings up an award, you always point out she or the Supremes don't have a Grammy...

They didn't get a Grammy.

marv2
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I dig ya,Marv, but Roberta Flack and her qualude sonatas always put me to sleep, and "Last Time I Saw Him" WAS a hit on the biggest Top 40 station in the USA,our very own Music Radio 77WABC-AM right here in NY..

Jimi, I hear you and understand what you are saying, however the category was for Female SOUL/R&B Artist. That song by Diane was hardly either what with the banjos, the Louis Armstrong impersonation etc,etc. Vicki Lawrence could have easily sang that song the same way and won a Pop nomination. That's mainly what I have a problem with.

marv2
09-23-2011, 01:27 PM
"qualude sonatas ", I love that! hehehehehehehe.......LOL!!! Hey, that was 'Berta's style. LOL!

dianesfan_1965
09-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Roberta Flack was ROBBED! I liked "Feel Like Making Love" a whole lot better than that country sounding tune Diane was nominated for. It was hardly soulful!

Just like radar, guess who shows up and bitches about Diana Ross?

marv2
09-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Just like radar, guess who shows up and bitches about Diana Ross?

I just have a problem with that M.O.R mush song winnning best the R&B/Soul award.

George Solomon
09-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Just for the record, American Music Awards are voted for by the public. They are given a choice of three vocalists to choose from and they vote on their favorite. And the award was not for a specific song, just, Female Vocalist in the Soul category. They just happened to play "Last Time I Saw Him" when Diana's nomination was announced because it was one of her records from the previous year.

jobeterob
09-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Last Time I Saw Him was the #1 Adult Contemporary Song of the YEAR according to Billboard Magazine.

That was an accomplishment and another highlight of an extraordinary career.

Jimi LaLumia
09-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I bought the record when it was new, I enjoyed it very much..and Ross was redefining what a black female pop star could be...which was whatever she wanted to be..

jillfoster
09-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Last Time I Saw Him was the #1 Adult Contemporary Song of the YEAR according to Billboard Magazine.

That was an accomplishment and another highlight of an extraordinary career.

It was stil a crappy song, Rob. the song itself was fine, and Dottie West's version of it is really good, because it FITS her. True... the award was for soul artist, and not a particular song. If I were to pick a GOOD song Diana did, I would have used theme from Mahogany. Some, however, argue that Diana was put in the soul category only because she was black, as she was not recording soul music at this time. It was pop/Easy listening. Dionne, the queen of easy listening, even had more soulful records around this time.

jobeterob
09-23-2011, 11:21 PM
As a song, I would take Feel Like Makin Love over Last Time I Saw Him..........um, I think.

And of course, Mahogany wasn't yet out at the time of this show.

Not sure I'd call LTISH crappy but it wasn't the usual good product we came to expect; it was kind of buy into the Yellow Ribbon sound current at the time. What I like most about LTISH is how Diana blows through it all so well, so quickly, so many singers could never keep up.

smark21
09-24-2011, 02:53 PM
American Music Awards have never been about merit, they've always been about popularity. The AMAs have been upfront about it always, but some people really do take such awards much too seroiusly.

Roberta75
09-24-2011, 07:19 PM
American Music Awards have never been about merit, they've always been about popularity. The AMAs have been upfront about it always, but some people really do take such awards much too seroiusly.

And 36 years later some people are still upset about Diana's win. LOL

jobeterob
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Make that 8 wins!

Including Pop Album of the Year!

Jealousy, envy, I tell you, you can see behind smiling faces sometimes...........

captainjames
09-25-2011, 12:15 PM
WOW
She was in good company with Franklin and Flack and with Michael to recieve it for her. LTISH was C&W with Soul as it was with The Supremes Sing Country, Western and Pop album. A album that has always been underated. I am glad she recieved this award in this category. It was more than just a win, it was a statement.

marv2
09-25-2011, 12:54 PM
That song sucked. It definitely did not have any Soul, no rhythm and no blues. Sounds like something you'd hear on the Muppets or Sesame Street.

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
That song sucked. It definitely did not have any Soul, no rhythm and no blues. Sounds like something you'd hear on the Muppets or Sesame Street.

I bet if Mary Wilson recorded LTISH it would be the best thing since sliced bread.

marv2
09-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I bet if Mary Wilson recorded LTISH it would be the best thing since sliced bread.

I think Vicki Lawrence should have recorded it.....then it would have been better than sliced bread!

tomato tom
09-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Now all we need is for Diana to record a Punk anthem or a heavy metal rock song, and we have all bases covered for her next award..No?...Paulo xxx

marv2
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Now all we need is for Diana to record a Punk anthem or a heavy metal rock song, and we have all bases covered for her next award..No?...Paulo xxx

She ain't gettin' no more rewards. She needs to retire.

Jimi LaLumia
09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Marv, my man, so what exactly did she do to you?..seriously, I'm curious..did you work at or with Motown, I don't know, but I detect something going on..

carlo
09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Marv, my man, so what exactly did she do to you?..seriously, I'm curious..did you work at or with Motown, I don't know, but I detect something going on..

I ask the same of those members who are making the sarcastic underhanded comments towards Mary and the Golden Halo Award [[ie. Roberta, Smark, etc). Y'all need to give it a rest and stop hating on Diana and Mary. Is it really that much fun for all of you?

Jimi LaLumia
09-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I think some folks here actually think that they are Ross or Wilson!..now excuse me, I have a gown fitting and I need to try on a wig..

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM

You need to retire from here.

captainjames
09-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Diana, Mary or Cindy probably don't have a clue who this guy is or care.

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I ask the same of those members who are making the sarcastic underhanded comments towards Mary and the Golden Halo Award [[ie. Roberta, Smark, etc). Y'all need to give it a rest and stop hating on Diana and Mary. Is it really that much fun for all of you?

Excuse me Carlo? You ignore Marv's constant attacks on Diana Ross yet you accuse me of hating on Mary Wilson. i have never, ever hated on Mary. I may have poked fun at her expense from time to time but it was all in jest and so far from hate. I happen to love all former Supremes and find your "calling me out" offensive.

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Allegedly marv2 was ejected from a Diana Ross concert in Denver in the 80's for refusing to stop taking flash photography when Diana's security repeatedly asked him to cease. I say allegedly as this story has been floating around the internet for years and I wasn't there to witness the event but I have read it and heard about it from other people.

captainjames
09-25-2011, 07:35 PM
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA
Don't be too sure Diana is not done yet

jobeterob
09-25-2011, 08:04 PM
I completely agree with Roberta.

I don't see her disliking or anything stronger on Mary Wilson. Nor does Smark, John Lester, me, Kamasu, nor did Motown Fan in his day here And there are 20 others in the same boat. And some of these people had/have strong Motown connections, real ones. I go out of my way now to remember Mary Wilson is nearly 70 and she put up a valiant struggle to carve a solo career and at 67, still does concerts and gets out there. And it is great. She has a beautiful face and sings better now that she did at 24.

As Roberta points out, it is Marv that hates Diana; God knows why; his only real support is occasionally Luke. And they are entitled to dislike Diana. But if they want to act up, they should expect to be challenged. But that is the only hating and dislike on here.

As Juicefree once said on here, history turned out the way history turned out. Nothing will change it. We can discuss things on here, get along or not....but we are a small group; it changes nothing in the scheme of things for Motown, CNN, Billboard, the Supremes, Diana, Mary or any other Supreme. Or us.

Using someone who is good natured to post fake pictures on websites or music sites, making nasty comments on Youtube and the like doesn't do anything; it makes me laugh. But it changes nothing. If you look at the names people have posted on SD as ones used by Marv on Youtube from time to time, you'll occasionally see them deleted on Youtube for too many negative votes; but I can't remember them without going on there and looking!!

Carry on guys!

marv2
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM

Nah, it ain't even about that. It's about how do you keep honoring someone for things they did 30-40 plus years ago? Give the younger artists a break. Miss has had her career and I would think a woman of her age would be interested in at least some form of charity or social good works. She may now finally want to use her fame to help the less fortunate somewhere in the World. Her years as a popular artist are over.

marv2
09-25-2011, 08:16 PM
You need to retire from here.

I beg your pardon instigator.

marv2
09-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Diana, Mary or Cindy probably don't have a clue who this guy is or care.

Probably and probably..........LOL!!!!

marv2
09-25-2011, 08:18 PM
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA
Don't be too sure Diana is not done yet

You REALLY need to talk with her sometime.

marv2
09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I completely agree with Roberta.

I don't see her disliking or anything stronger on Mary Wilson. Nor does Smark, John Lester, me, Kamasu, nor did Motown Fan in his day here And there are 20 others in the same boat. And some of these people had/have strong Motown connections, real ones. I go out of my way now to remember Mary Wilson is nearly 70 and she put up a valiant struggle to carve a solo career and at 67, still does concerts and gets out there. And it is great. She has a beautiful face and sings better now that she did at 24.

As Roberta points out, it is Marv that hates Diana; God knows why; his only real support is occasionally Luke. And they are entitled to dislike Diana. But if they want to act up, they should expect to be challenged. But that is the only hating and dislike on here.

As Juicefree once said on here, history turned out the way history turned out. Nothing will change it. We can discuss things on here, get along or not....but we are a small group; it changes nothing in the scheme of things for Motown, CNN, Billboard, the Supremes, Diana, Mary or any other Supreme. Or us.

Using someone who is good natured to post fake pictures on websites or music sites, making nasty comments on Youtube and the like doesn't do anything; it makes me laugh. But it changes nothing. If you look at the names people have posted on SD as ones used by Marv on Youtube from time to time, you'll occasionally see them deleted on Youtube for too many negative votes; but I can't remember them without going on there and looking!!

Carry on guys!

Roberta can think or point out whatever he or she wants. I do not hate Diane at all. There you got it directly from me.

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I beg your pardon instigator.

Only the good Lord can pardon you marv2.

marv2
09-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Only the good Lord can pardon you marv2.

and all of us. Blessed Be the Name of the Lord! Let's keep him out of diana ross threads!

smark21
09-25-2011, 08:37 PM

My sarcasm isn't aimed at Mary Wilson. It's aimed at fans who for some reason or another feel the need to inflate the importance of such awards and honors. It's very nice Mary received a Golden Halo, but what does it really matter? IN the end, it's the work that counts, regardless of whether or not it got an award or went #1 on the charts or sold big. I know what I like and what I dislike. I don't need others to tell me if it's worth of being honored or to give it sales success. I think there are fans of nearly every performer who get far too wrapped up in awards, sales and chart position and lose sight of the work, which is supposedly why they liked the artist in the first place. In my better moods, I'm concerned for such "fans", in my worst moods, I'm contemptuous of such a mentaility.

dianesfan_1965
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Excuse me Carlo? You ignore Marv's constant attacks on Diana Ross yet you accuse me of hating on Mary Wilson. i have never, ever hated on Mary. I may have poked fun at her expense from time to time but it was all in jest and so far from hate. I happen to love all former Supremes and find your "calling me out" offensive.

Right on Bert. It's funny that someone that has the pleasure of working on Mary's website .... and does fine job I might add ... can sit back and not see what a wicked fool ol' Mervin is. Shit. Mary herself asked for this trash talk about Ross to knock it the fuck off and yet that asshole STILL says shit about her. Sounds like some fucked up bullshit to me. Sorry, Bert I know you're church going gal, but this Portugeeze, P-Town heifer ain't having this shit. You're all right in my book kid.

marv2
09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Right on Bert. It's funny that someone that has the pleasure of working on Mary's website .... and does fine job I might add ... can sit back and not see what a wicked fool ol' Mervin is. Shit. Mary herself asked for this trash talk about Ross to knock it the fuck off and yet that asshole STILL says shit about her. Sounds like some fucked up bullshit to me. Sorry, Bert I know you're church going gal, but this Portugeeze, P-Town heifer ain't having this shit. You're all right in my book kid.

Repeating your own descriptives: You must be a heffa and or a pretender because all REAL Portugese brothers and sisters I know live in and around New Bedford! Now you sound like you wanna do a little sumthin, sumthin. I use to live in Dedham and know the WHOLE area up there extremely well so if at some point you feel like you wanna shut my mouth! You just let me know and I will find a way to muster up the courage to meet you wherever like. Let me know if I am reading you correctly.

Marv

dianesfan_1965
09-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Repeating your own descriptives: You must be a heffa and or a pretender because all REAL Portugese brothers and sisters I know live in and around New Bedford! Now you sound like you wanna do a little sumthin, sumthin. I use to live in Dedham and know the WHOLE area up there extremely well so if at some point you feel like you wanna shut my mouth! You just let me know and I will find a way to muster up the courage to meet you wherever like. Let me know if I am reading you correctly.

Marv

Is that another threat? Honey, your sorry ass best keep it off the Cape. Because we don't put up with homophobe shit head like you. Now go run to Ralph and write him another check to keep your ass online so you can keep talking shit.

marv2
09-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Leave Carlo alone, he wasn't trying to offend you. If I say I did not like a particular record by Diana Ross, you go and classify it as an attack on her. I guess by your reasoning most of the music buying public here in America has been attacking her since the mid-80's . Since then she has had only one single to make the Billboard Hot 200 and that was the song "Take Me Higher " that got up to number 114 in 1995 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

Diane and I go way back, so you know I don't hate her. I just do not like some of her records. Her fans are a totally different issue.

dianesfan_1965
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Leave Carlo alone, he wasn't trying to offend you. If I say I did not like a particular record by Diana Ross, you go and classify it as an attack on her. I guess by your reasoning most of the music buy public here in America has been attacking her since the mid-80's . Since then she has had only one single to make the Billboard Hot 200 and that was the song "Take Me Higher " that got up to number 114 in 1995 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

Diane and I go way back, so you know I don't hate her. I just do not like some of her records. Her fans are a totally different issue.

You might want to ask Carlo about Mary's message the HE posted on her site about people talking shit about Diana. That shit was directed at YOU asshole and your shit talk on Yahoo and the UTubes.

Carlo, grow a fucking pair.

marv2
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Is that another threat? Honey, your sorry ass best keep it off the Cape. Because we don't put up with homophobe shit head like you. Now go run to Ralph and write him another check to keep your ass online so you can keep talking shit.

That's not a threat. I am offering you the opportunity for you to make me see things your way since you were the one to fly off and start calling me names. You sit here and insult me and then you go further to insulting Ralph and I am suppose to respect you?

marv2
09-25-2011, 10:07 PM
You might want to ask Carlo about Mary's message the HE posted on her site about people talking shit about Diana. That shit was directed at YOU asshole and your shit talk on Yahoo and the UTubes.

Carlo, grow a fucking pair.

I don't see where anyone was talking s**t about Diana. What I do see is a man, a guy losing his cool and being extremely overly sensitive and protective of a singer.

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Leave Carlo alone, he wasn't trying to offend you. If I say I did not like a particular record by Diana Ross, you go and classify it as an attack on her. I guess by your reasoning most of the music buying public here in America has been attacking her since the mid-80's . Since then she has had only one single to make the Billboard Hot 200 and that was the song "Take Me Higher " that got up to number 114 in 1995 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

I think Carlo can answer for himself.

May I ask you a question? If you don't hate Diana Ross why do you post such vile things about her on youtube?

atcsm
09-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Marv
Wow - to Carlo - no matter what the provocation was, this reply is ok with you?

marv2
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Wow - to Carlo - no matter what the provocation was, this reply is ok with you?

I see you cannot be honest. IF you were there is NO WAY you could ignore the "provocation"!

Marv

marv2
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I think Carlo can answer for himself.

May I ask you a question? If you don't hate Diana Ross why do you post such vile things about her on youtube?

Why don't you get a life?

Roberta75
09-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Why don't you get a life?

Your inner rage and anger at the world genuinely saddens me.

May God bless you.

Goodnight.

captainjames
09-25-2011, 11:47 PM
hahahahahahahhaha
I probably just did --
Now, I just need a way to confirm with Mary and Cindy

You REALLY need to talk with her sometime.

Penny
09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Gosh and I thought some of my AVON sales meetings were rough.

I am glad Roberta steered the conversation back to God! I think that woman is right with the Lord.

Penny:D

RossHolloway
09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Marv2 is like the spoiled obnoxious child that the more attention he gets the more he acts up. If we all collectively ignore his posts and rants perhaps he will move on to other things. Just don't engage with Marv2 and his ilk who only post to instigate fights and war of words. Ignore him, don't respond to any of his posts and make him totally irrelevant to this board.

BayouMotownMan
09-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Great idea RossHolloway

Roberta75
09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Gosh and I thought some of my AVON sales meetings were rough.

I am glad Roberta steered the conversation back to God! I think that woman is right with the Lord.

Penny:D

Penny, everything begins and ends with God. Please read these words from the good book of Psalm dear lady.

Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.

tomato tom
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Sorry Marv if i offended you in anyway. Not Intended. I think DIANA ROSS has made some fantastic music over the years. She has also recorded some SHIT. We all know that. I am a fan, but not obssesed. It would be lovely though, if she came up with a fantastic, monster hit to maybe close out? what you say? Paulo xxx

BayouMotownMan
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
I think that would be great too Paulo, but not likely. At the risk of getting grenades tossed at me, I neither liked the Last Time I Saw Him single or album. It was such a let down from the beauty of the Touch Me In The Morning album. I think even Billboard in its review of the single noted the similarities to Tony Orlando and Dawn's music to Last Time. It just didn't work for me. Even though it was a Top 20 entry, it sold something like 200,000 copies. The lp did worse.

jobeterob
09-26-2011, 05:30 PM
What would you have thought of Stone Liberty or When Will I Come Home To You or No Ones Gonna Be a Fool Forever being a single?

BayouMotownMan
09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I really thought there were no other singles on the lp. Sorry, that album just doesn't grab me. I bought the CD reissue, listened again and while some of the tracks got a little of my interest, I still felt it was an inferior followup to the beauty of the Touch Me In The Morning album. When I bought the LTISH lp, I listened to it once then put it away and never pulled it out again. Another Ross lp I never cared for is Everything Is Everything. I respect the opinions of others however.

reese
09-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I bought the LAST TIME I SAW HIM album for $1.99 at Bradlee's when I was a kid. Actually, I paid $1.39 for it and begged the cashier to let me have it because that was all I had. Thank goodness she was nice. :-)

That said, it was never one of my favorites. Over the years, I've come to really love NO ONE GONNA'S BE A FOOL FOREVER, LOVE ME, and YOU. But I don't hear any other singles on it, besides the title track.

marv2
09-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry Marv if i offended you in anyway. Not Intended. I think DIANA ROSS has made some fantastic music over the years. She has also recorded some SHIT. We all know that. I am a fan, but not obssesed. It would be lovely though, if she came up with a fantastic, monster hit to maybe close out? what you say? Paulo xxx

Paulo, you have never offended me buddy. I never felt that. Any way, I agree with you. She has made some good records over the years and some really BAD ones too. If she could come up with a great record to add to her earlier work to close out her recording career out it would be wonderful.

Marv

Koach
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
No One's Gonna be a Fool Forever is my favorite.

captainjames
09-27-2011, 01:29 AM
This album was sorta thrown together with some of Diana's baby recordings and if I remember right LTISH was released without her knowledge. However, I thought it somehow fit and came together in the end. From what I remember there was a song on there called "Stoned Liberty" that was my all time favorite.

jobeterob
09-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Yes, I can't say that LTISH ranks with the really good albums.........The Boss, Baby It's Me, Blue, LSTB, Diana Ross 1970 and 1976, TMITM, diana etc.

It did seem put together on a whim or at least very patchwork; she was probably busy with something else, maybe Mahogany. But there were some other good songs.............I Heard A Love Song, Stone Liberty, No Ones Gonna Be A Fool Forever...............