PDA

View Full Version : love makes me do foolish things DRATS Version

test

honest man
09-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Hello just been listening to relections cd.what a great mix of songs,[have n't played for a very long time] , LMMDFT ,I had totally forgotten this version ,does anyone know when it was recorded sounds aged to the other songs on album,sounds like mid 60s with Flo,hope so,does Flo sing on any other songs on this album,was she added to other albums after her departure,i know LET THE MUSIC PLAY,Any other songs.please try and keep this thread real.

randy_russi
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I believe most of the material on this lp was recorded before Florence left the group. I would say any of these songs
could be from '65, '66, '67.

randy_russi
09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
By the way, it seems I remember that when Cindy joined, although she was performing with the group she couldn't record
with the group as she was still under a recording contract [[probably Atlantic) with the Blue-Belles.

snakepit
09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Courtesy of DFTMC web site

Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things) [[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr) publ. Jobete

The Supremes; recorded L.A. / Hitsville-GW, completed 31-Jan-67 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier

Apr-68; LP [[M): Motown M665 Reflections

Apr-68; LP [[S): Motown S665 Reflections

03-Feb-92; CD: Motown MOTD 5494 Reflections

honest man
09-22-2011, 03:53 PM
ok thanks,so was this album old songs with DMF excluding ODE TO BILLY JOE-FOREVER CAME TODAY,Sounds like,thanks for info,makes a lotta sense..cheers.

BayouMotownMan
09-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Florence is on several tracks from the Reflections lp.

There are actually two different versions of LMMDFT. The mono version, which was issued in very limited quantities in 1968 as Motown was phasing out issuance of mono lps, features an entirely different vocal by Ross

honest man
09-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Bayoumountainman do you know them,i forgot how good this album was,i always think of it as DMC maybe the name change has something to do with it,but you have really got me going now about the alternative vocal .i would love to hear it do you know if it exists on any cd,i need this version,so good im still learning motown,41 years from my motown debut.love real info on this site.cheers

BayouMotownMan
09-22-2011, 06:33 PM
To my recollection, Flo is on What the World Needs Now, she's very audible on Misery Makes It's Home In My Heart and on the track we are discussing. Maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. In fact, I think Florence turns up on all the other studio albums except for Love Child. I don't recall a track on that lp featuring her. On Let The Sunshine In, she is on Let The Music Play and What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted. On Cream Of The Crop she is on Blowin' In The Wind

bradsupremes
09-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Tracks with Florence:
- Reflections [[although I believe its Mary and Marlene Barrow)
- In And Out Of Love [[Andantes dubbed onto track)
- What The World Needs Now Is Love

Tracks with Cindy:
- I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You)
- Then
- Bah-Bah-Bah
- Up, Up, And Away [[Andantes dubbed onto track)

Tracks with the Andantes:
- Forever Came Today
- Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
- I Can't Make It Alone [[Maybe Mary & Cindy?????)

Tracks with Mary & Marlene Barrow:
- Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart

Diana only:
- Ode To Billie Joe

honest man
09-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Thank you gang,was this a proper album project or do you know if it was put together under circumstance,im pleased if it was the first option, as i said previous alway s thought it was a rush release, i know im repeating,i think this has been asked before on SDF ,im getting older ,ha plus we are getting new members[first time] all the time so not to bad question eh,lastly does anyone know where LMMDFT alt exists,please........................ try and keep this thread real,thank you.

bradsupremes
09-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Honest Man, the "Reflections" album was compiled after the success of the single "Reflections." Originally the song was meant to be included on the "Greatest Hits" album [[side four, track three); however "Standing At The Crossroads Of Love" was put in its place instead. "Reflections" was then held back to be included on the group's next LP release.

A majority of the songs on the album were recorded in 1967 with the exception of "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart" and "What The World Needs Now Is Love" which were recorded in 1966. Several songs from Cindy's first sessions [[September-November 1967) were included on the album. One of those songs, "Heaven Must Have Sent You" was originally intended to be included on the album, but was pulled.

honest man
09-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Brad so i am to believe LMMDFT does not have Flo on it,it just sounded so SUPREMEISH ,Love it, it was so refreshing to hear it again.maybe it was a leftover from sing HDH,thank you for your breakdown of the songs from album,i love this forum,when we uncover gems like this,thank you all for your knowledge on this thread, cheers.

honest man
09-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Bayoumountain i see you are around where does the alt version exists please...........................

stephanie
09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Love Makes Me do Foolish Things sounds like one of those tracks left off of the I Hear A Symphony project. I had no idea Flo was on Misery Makes My Heart its Home I think I hear Mary Wilson more on that track Bayouman but you would know better than I would. When I hear Mary and Cindy on those Love Child tracks like Ill Set you Free I shudder to think of the Andantes. I love the Andantes and they were great on Love Child but if you see the live performance of Im Living in Shame on the Hollywood Palace and the cuts on the Love Child album where you can hear Mary and Cindy their backgrounds were great!

Jimi LaLumia
09-30-2011, 09:02 PM
lidtening to the 'Hear a Symphony' CD, and I'm now doubting how much, if any,Mary and Flo are actually on here.listened to this since I was a kid ,when it was a new album, and the back of my head even then, said'something sounds not quite right'...so this most likely was the first solo Diana Ross album?...I love it either way,but this thread explains a lot of things..record wise, for the most part, Ross HAS been a solo artist since 1966, if not earlier, with Flo and Mary sprinkled in here and there for 'flavor'...to keep the image of a 'group' alive for teen fans like me when groups were'what's happening!"[[and solo artists for the most part, took a back seat...Stevie and Marvin didn't REALLY hit until the early 70's

pj1
09-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Bayoumountain i see you are around where does the alt version exists please...........................

According to BayouMotownMan:
There are actually two different versions of LMMDFT. The mono version, which was issued in very limited quantities in 1968 as Motown was phasing out issuance of mono lps, features an entirely different vocal by Ross

The Relflections mono lp, of which fewer copies were issued.

ejluther
10-01-2011, 04:10 AM
The UK mono version of the REFLECTIONS LP is easier to find than the US mono version and, from what I can tell, also features the alternate vocal for LMMDFT:
http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-And-The-Supremes-Reflections/release/2305813

honest man
10-01-2011, 06:33 AM
The UK mono version of the REFLECTIONS LP is easier to find than the US mono version and, from what I can tell, also features the alternate vocal for LMMDFT:
http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-And-The-Supremes-Reflections/release/2305813
PJ1 also thanks for the direction,i will have to check my albums , i think i have on vinyl i know i the album on official cd and official tape,im going to sort through soon, cheers.also the track was it not recorded after IHAS Album,maybe GO GO ,HDH more fitting maybe.

jillfoster
10-01-2011, 10:03 AM
LLMDFT was never one of my favorites, it sounds anemic and plodding [[Both vocals and production) compared to Martha's definitive version.

smark21
10-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Mono or stereo, The Supremes version of LMMDFT is just a filler cut; obvious not much time and work was invested in the arrangment and recording. Martha and the Vandellas' version is the definitive. In fact, none of the Supremes' remakes of Vandellas hits are all that good. Though The Supremes' versions of 4 Tops hits, like Baby I Need Your Loving, Shake Me Wake Me, and Still Water Love, are quite good.

jeff9nyc
10-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Mono or stereo, The Supremes version of LMMDFT is just a filler cut; obvious not much time and work was invested in the arrangment and recording. Martha and the Vandellas' version is the definitive. In fact, none of the Supremes' remakes of Vandellas hits are all that good. Though The Supremes' versions of 4 Tops hits, like Baby I Need Your Loving, Shake Me Wake Me, and Still Water Love, are quite good.

I have to agree that when I heard "Love is Like Heatwave" on the HDH album when I was a kid I was disappointed even then. But, I do like the Supremes version of "In My Lonely Room," a lot.

honest man
10-01-2011, 02:55 PM
i thought we were talking about DRATS version of LMMDFT ,no problem Marthas version is the real deal,just wanted a few answers about DRATS version,funnily enough i played REFLECTIONS cd on another system today, it sounded mono[ not much back ups right]. im wondering if the cd is mono release and i have the mono version of LMMDFT,now i need the stereo version, any offers. cheers.

honest man
10-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Hello everyone, i need a big favour.i have just discovered LMMDFT[mono from DRATS Reflections vinyl album]is the alt version,guess what it is the only album by them i don't have as i bought the official tape in the 80's and the official cd in the 90s so i never got around to buy vinyl,these 2 formats are stereo . i need the original version of LMMDFTfrom Reflections MONO album Any offers of an MP3 version of this song would be greatly appreciated , please and thank you cheers

RossHolloway
10-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I quite like the Supreme's version of Come and Get These Memories. In part because Mary is on lead, and it's just a smoother version of the song. I still love the Vandellas version, I just think the Supreme's version is just as nice. Now I wonder why Martha & The Vandellas never covered any of the Supreme's hits..

jeff9nyc
10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I quite like the Supreme's version of Come and Get These Memories. In part because Mary is on lead, and it's just a smoother version of the song. I still love the Vandellas version, I just think the Supreme's version is just as nice. Now I wonder why Martha & The Vandellas never covered any of the Supreme's hits..

I really like Martha's version of "Is There A Place [[In His Heart For Me)" Really nice. On the Hipo Lost and Found series

BayouMotownMan
10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Diana's version has much more orchestration. Martha's is more raw and rhythm. When Diana did it there are strings, flutes, etc to give a more ethereal sound. The stereo version is superior with a spirited vocal reminscent of Love Is Here And Now You're Gone

luke
10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I thought Andy S said it's Flo and Mary on Reflections. Lets not rewrite history.

ejluther
10-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Now I wonder why Martha & The Vandellas never covered any of the Supreme's hits..
That makes me wonder about other Motown artists in general covering The Supremes; I'm sure it probably happened but I'm having trouble thinking of any examples. I know they traded songs with The Temptations but that was on TV and I mean other artists doing covers of Supremes songs on their own albums...

RossHolloway
10-06-2011, 04:56 PM
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Stevies,the Miracles, Barbara McNairs and the Originals versions of My World Is Empty and the Velvelettes version of Your Heart Belongs to Me and Kim's Stop! In the Name of Love.

And didn't Rare Earth do a version of You Keep Me Hangin On?

Plus Come See About Me was done by Jr. Walker and the AllStars, The Originals, Choker Campbell and Earl Van Dyke. But I wonder why the girl groups rarely covered the Supreme hits during the 1960s?

skooldem1
10-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Didn't the Isleys do "I hear a symphony"? The J5 did "Forever came today" and a couple of other songs I think.

RossHolloway
10-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Didn't the Isleys do "I hear a symphony"? The J5 did "Forever came today" and a couple of other songs I think.

I forgot about the Isleys. And they also did a pretty fine version of Stop! In the Name of Love and the Four Tops covered Reflections in 70[[?).

redlabs
10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
i ahve two different version of the SYMPHONY lp. one i like best is the mono version as Florence's vocal is great on STRANGER IN PARADISE. i think the stereo version has less backing vocals which gives the impression that it is a almost Ross solo.
some of the covers of Supremes songs such as HEATWAVE/SAME OLD SONG., and a few from GO GO were recorded in LA and not with the Funk Brothers, which gives the songs and the Supremes a different sound.
this is one of the reasons why i only liked half of the GO GO lp. to bad all the tracks werent recorded with the funk Brothers but perhaps they wanted a more pop feel. i never understand why the Supremes could rock out on KEEP ME HANGIN ON and ITCHING IN MY HEART but HEATWAVE was so low key. i think the vocals are ok but the production is weak.imo. maybe if they do a expanded version of the songs and lps we may get some remastered versions.
REFLECTIONS was always one of my favorite songs and the lp has some good songs. i like LOVE MAKES ME DO FOOLISH THINGS. i think it may have fit better on SING HDH though.
i also heard there is a mono version of HEATWAVE but i have never heard it, anyone here have a copy???

Jimi LaLumia
10-06-2011, 07:53 PM
It should be clear that I was a Supremes fan first and foremost since my teeny bopper days in 1964, but whenever they have covered a Vandellas tune,it has paled in comparion to the original performance, and "Heat Wave" was so tacky, so below par, Ross' vocal performance was so off in so many places, even as a kid I as wondering what THAT was all about?...dismal!,
were the girls intimidated by Martha Reeves?same applies to Mary and "Come and Get These Memories", really shocking how the girls could not get a handle on Vandellas material..

nabob
10-06-2011, 08:18 PM
i have two different version of the SYMPHONY lp. one i like best is the mono version as Florence's vocal is great on STRANGER IN PARADISE. i think the stereo version has less backing vocals which gives the impression that it is a almost Ross solo.I just gave a listen to both the CD and vinyl. The CD has only three songs clearly mixed in stereo: With a Song in My Heart, Wonderful-Wonderful, and My World is Empty Without You. The stereo vinyl has three additional songs that are borderline stereo: I Hear a Symphony, Yesterday, and Stranger in Paradise. Borderline means that the separation is really difficult ascertain. The other six songs are definitely mixed in mono. I've always hoped that this album would be remixed from the original masters to a complete stereo album.

smark21
10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
That makes me wonder about other Motown artists in general covering The Supremes; I'm sure it probably happened but I'm having trouble thinking of any examples. I know they traded songs with The Temptations but that was on TV and I mean other artists doing covers of Supremes songs on their own albums...

Wanda Rogers/The Marvelettes covered a number of Supremes songs. I Want a Guy, Someday We'll Be Together, A Breathtaking Guy, Take Me Where You Go,

smark21
10-06-2011, 08:35 PM

The J5 also covered, of all things, Touch.

JohnnyB
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
It seems the J5 and Michael solo covered more Supreme songs than other Motown artists: Love Is Here And Now Youre Gone, With A Child's Heart, I Hear A Symphony, Reflections, Forever Came Today, The Young Folks. There may be others that I missed.

Jimi LaLumia
10-06-2011, 09:16 PM
a solo Michael Jackson recorded "Johnny Raven" from the Touch album, he was a big fan of the Jean Terrell lineup it's been said.. I have a 70's teen mag pic of MJ in his room with a poster of the Jean led lineup on the bedroom wall right behind him

bradsupremes
10-06-2011, 10:09 PM
The Jackson 5 also recorded "You Can't Hurry Love." And there is a solo recording of Michael singing "He's My Sunny Boy" although the lyrics in his version doesn't make sense because one second he's singing "I'm your sunny boy" and then the next he's singing "He's our sunny boy." Although he does a good job singing the song, it's clear that the song should have been kept for only a female to sing. Trying to change the lyrics for a guy doesn't work.

Jimi LaLumia
10-06-2011, 10:38 PM
let's be real...MJ would have rather been in The Supremes than the J5,nothing wrong with that, that's a reality..

skooldem1
10-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Michael Jackson as a Supreme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw4r61Brw70

Jimi LaLumia
10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
never saw that before, but that just dotted my i and crossed my t..thanx..and you work that Miss Ross thing in the great beyond, MJ!

Jimi LaLumia
10-07-2011, 05:50 AM
it's also very clear from this old video that the now iconic 80's MJ stance[[head tilted back, arms extended to the heavens) is an obvious tribute to/emulation of the shaman-esque antics of late 60's Diana Ross!

marv2
10-07-2011, 07:19 AM
The Four Tops covered "You Can't Hurry Love " on their 1966 Live Album.

ejluther
10-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Wanda Rogers/The Marvelettes covered a number of Supremes songs. I Want a Guy, Someday We'll Be Together, A Breathtaking Guy, Take Me Where You Go,
Thanks - I'll check them out for sure...

In looking for them on YOUTUBE I found this and had never heard it before - the original version of "Someday We'll Be Together":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJ_zWKPuzA

RossHolloway
10-07-2011, 09:37 AM
It should be clear that I was a Supremes fan first and foremost since my teeny bopper days in 1964, but whenever they have covered a Vandellas tune,it has paled in comparion to the original performance, and "Heat Wave" was so tacky, so below par, Ross' vocal performance was so off in so many places, even as a kid I as wondering what THAT was all about?...dismal!,
were the girls intimidated by Martha Reeves?same applies to Mary and "Come and Get These Memories", really shocking how the girls could not get a handle on Vandellas material..

See I disagree. Ross gives a great performance on all those songs, but I just think she approached them as album fillers and not like a 45 release. Heatwave certainly feels like it was recorded in LA and not Detroit. Ross gives it a fly-by approach, but is not invested enough to really dig into it to make it her own. The production seems to be rushed like it was taken down between shows or tv appearances in Hollywood. And I hardly doubt that the Supreme's were intimidated by Martha and the Vandellas. HDH just wanted to make more money off the the song by having the Supreme's record it. Same with Come and Get These Memories, but I also think that Mary does a great job with her vocal delivery on this song. I wonder why Florence never sang lead on a HDH song? I would love to hear a version of Martha and the Vandellas singing Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart, with the same production value HDH gave to Nowhere to Run, a hard driving beat. But over all I have a hard time imagining any of the other girl groups being able to sing any of the Supreme hits with the same nuance or approach that Diana did.

motony
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
The Marvelettes version of "I Want A Guy" is so much better then the Supremes & it won thecontest on the back of the Postman LP thats why it was released as the B side to "Twistin Postman".

roger
10-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I Don't think anyone has mentioned "Ask Any Man" by TONY MARTIN yet amongst the Motown remakes of SUPREMES tunes. It was a remake of "Ask Any Girl".

Roger

honest man
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
someone send me a snippet maybe of LMMDFTfrom REFLECTIONS MONO ALBUM,See if i really am missing something,pretty pretty please.cheers.

honest man
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Well i just heard the mono version,can't really tell the difference much, but then i should have known better even the expanded albums i can never tell between stereo and mono,maybe i expected too much, anyway my curiosity solved,ha.by the way what agreat thread this is turning out to be, thanks all. cheers

honest man
10-07-2011, 03:22 PM
When you think of it the poor supremes got lots of leftovers -covers 1 CWC AND POP 2 SAM COOKE 3 BIT OF LIVERPOOL4MORE HITS [LOVERS CONCERTO YESTERDAY ETC]5 AGO GO 6 HDH7 FUNNY GIRL8 ROGERS AND HART 2 ALBUMS WITH THE TEMPTATIONS,even DIANA was given covers for her first solo A'INT NO MOUNTAIN-THESE THINGS WILL KEEP etc.And to hear some of the former motown people say they were given seconds,especially Martha not bad considering DRATS had to cover some of her songs which they did a good job on makes me wonder if the trio really were given top treatment,not trying to start anything just that some of this thread has got me thinking,please keep this thread on track,cheers.

RossHolloway
10-07-2011, 04:04 PM
When you think of it the poor supremes got lots of leftovers -covers 1 CWC AND POP 2 SAM COOKE 3 BIT OF LIVERPOOL4MORE HITS [LOVERS CONCERTO YESTERDAY ETC]5 AGO GO 6 HDH7 FUNNY GIRL8 ROGERS AND HART 2 ALBUMS WITH THE TEMPTATIONS,even DIANA was given covers for her first solo A'INT NO MOUNTAIN-THESE THINGS WILL KEEP etc.And to hear some of the former motown people say they were given seconds,especially Martha not bad considering DRATS had to cover some of her songs which they did a good job on makes me wonder if the trio really were given top treatment,not trying to start anything just that some of this thread has got me thinking,please keep this thread on track,cheers.

I think cover songs was just something that was common during that period. Didn't the Beatles cover two or three Motown songs on their very first album? I don't think it was anything unusual. All the Motown artist did cover versions of some songs. I think the Supreme's did all those theme type albums because Berry wanted to show off their versality. Stevie, Marvin, The Tops, The Temps all did theme albums to show off their versality and to broaden their appeal outside of just the soul/r&b markets. Berry Gordy knew what he was doing.

kenneth
10-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I personally love many of the Motown artists' covers of other popular songs. Some songs practically became standards overnight, such as "Yesterday," and were done by almost every Motown artist it seems. I think back in the day it was a treat to hear different artists perform hits by other singers.

I don't think of the concept albums as throwaways either, though some of them definitely seemed thrown together overnight, and from what I've heard of the Disney album I think it was wise not to release it.

On the other hand, some of Motown's artists covering other Motown artists' songs became a little excessive. Of course, that was a win-win for the company in many ways: please the fans, pay no licensing or royalties to outside folks, and even reuse some prerecorded tracks! Some of the covers, still, are outstanding. The tracks mentioned that the Marvelettes recorded of Supremes' songs to me are all excellent, Gladys Knight's and Marvin Gaye's versions of other Motown material usually outstanding, and then there's all the Norman Whitfield groups who seemed to always record each other's material, almost immediately. Still, I think my all time favorite of a Motown artist covering a Motown tune by someone else is Yvonne Fair's "It Should Have Been Me."

Okay, end of lecture!

marv2
10-07-2011, 05:56 PM
A personal favorite of mine is Stevie Wonder's cover of the Beatles "We Can Work It Out". Mary Wilson use to open her shows with it. I loved her live version also.

bradsupremes
10-08-2011, 12:22 AM
"The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart" is definitely not a throwaway album. In my opinion, I think it's the best album the 60's Supremes recorded. The vocals, the arrangements, and the orchestrations are top notch.

honest man
10-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Good Morning people, yes there were some good covers by DRATS and all the other motown artists,the best SUPREMES Covers i think were STEVIE'S I HEAR A SYMPHONY 2 MY WORLD IS EMPTY.Would love to hear 4 TOPS TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS [ROCK ME]MARVELETTES TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS AND LOVE ME Imagine.Would love to compile a DRATS Compilation in recording order ie[blowin' in the wind,love makes me do foolish things]belong in 66-67 instead of 68-69 and such,there are so many songs we now have with all the expanded albums,lost and found,25th anniversary,pink anthology etc,would be a great compilation withevery song in it's correct place,anyone want to start and maybe we can add as we go along.any offers, cheers.

ejluther
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Would love to compile a DRATS Compilation in recording order ie[blowin' in the wind,love makes me do foolish things]belong in 66-67 instead of 68-69 and such,there are so many songs we now have with all the expanded albums,lost and found,25th anniversary,pink anthology etc,would be a great compilation withevery song in it's correct place,anyone want to start and maybe we can add as we go along.any offers, cheers.
That's a great idea! There are clearly people here who are really smart/informed about actual recording dates so I hope it can come together.