PDA

View Full Version : 50 Anniversary 3 CD Bos Set

test

The Doctor Temptation
09-21-2011, 12:30 AM
For the first time ever, on the occasion of the group's 50th anniversary, every single from the legendary Temptations lineup through 1971 is now in one package. This 3-CD box set features every A- and B- side, from the Temptations very beginning to the moment original members Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams left the group.
Housed in packaging similar to the acclaimed series The Complete Motown Singles,this box set is accompanied by a booklet filled with detailed information about each single, reproductions of spectacular-looking picture sleeves from around the world, and classic and rare photos of the world's greatest male vocal group of all time.
Included in this box set are the group's 13 No. 1 Pop and R&B hits, from "The Way You Do The Things You Do" to "Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)," and the smashes in-between--the iconic "My Girl," "Get Ready," "Ain't Too Proud To Beg," the controversial "Ball Of Confusion [[That's The World Is Today)," "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me," a duet with the Diana Ross & the Supremes. With these hits the Temptations broke down social barriers and became cultural icons.
Because it's "Complete," the beautifully packaged 3-CD box set also includes the early material, when the "Tempts" were struggling to hang in as Motown grew more and more successful. Among the early rarities is their debut single, "Oh Mother Of Mine," which was never on an LP; a stab at novelty on the short-lived Mel-o-dy label, where the Tempts moonlighted as "the Pirates"; and the local hit "I Want A Love I Can See." Also included: rare German and Italian versions of "My Girl" and more.
Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Oh Mother Of Mine
2. Romance Without Finance
3. Check Yourself
4. Your Wonderful Love
5. [[You're My) Dream Come True
6. Isn't She Pretty
7. Mind Over Matter [[I'm Gonna Make You Mine) The Pirates
8. I'll Love You Till I Die The Pirates
9. Paradise
10. Slow Down Heart
11. I Want A Love I Can See
12. The Further You Look, The Less You See
13. Farewell My Love
14. May I Have This Dance
15. The Way You Do The Things You Do
16. Just Let Me Know
17. I'll Be In Trouble
18. The Girl's Alright With Me
19. Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
20. Baby Baby I Need You
21. My Girl
22. [[Talking 'Bout) Nobody But My Baby
23. It's Growing
24. What Love Has Joined Together
25. Since I Lost My Baby
26. You've Got To Earn It
27. My Baby
 28. Don't Look Back

Disc: 2

1. Get Ready
2. Fading Away
3. Ain't Too Proud To Beg
4. You'll Lose A Precious Love
5. Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
6. You're Not An Ordinary Girl
7. [[I Know) I'm Losing You
8. I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To
9. All I Need
10. Sorry Is A Sorry Word
11. You're My Everything
12. I've Been Good To You
13. [[Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need
14. Don't Send Me Away
15. I Wish It Would Rain
16. I Truly, Truly Believe
17. I Truly, Truly Believe alternate vocal
18. I Could Never Love Another [[After Loving You)
19. Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got
20. Please Return Your Love To Me
21. How Can I Forget
22. Cloud Nine
23. Why Did She Have To Leave Me [[Why Did She Have To Go)
24. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Diana Ross and the Supremes & the Temptations
25. A Place In The Sun Diana Ross and the Supremes & the Temptations
26. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
27. Silent Night, Holy Night

Disc: 3

1. Runaway Child, Running Wild
2. I Need Your Lovin'
3. I'll Try Something New Diana Ross and the Supremes & the Temptations
4. The Way You Do The Things You Do Diana Ross and the Supremes & the
5. Don't Let The Joneses Get You Down
6. Since I've Lost You
7. I Can't Get Next To You
8. Running Away [[Ain't Gonna Help You)
9. The Weight Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations
10. For Better Or Worse Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations
11. Psychedelic Shack
12. That's The Way Love Is
13. Ball Of Confusion [[That's What The World Is Today) 14. It's Summer
14. Ungena Za Ulimwengu [[Unite The World) 16. Hum Along And Dance
15. Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me) 18. You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth
16. It's Summer 20. I'm The Exception To The Rule Bonus Tracks: The German and Italian Singles
17. Mein Girl [[My Girl)
18. Sei Solo Tu [[The Way You Do The Things You Do)
19. Solamente Lei [[My Girl)

psychedelic jacques
09-21-2011, 05:38 AM
I wonder if the version of 'Runaway Child' will finally be the edited single version, which was left out of TCMS9 and which, as far as I know, has never been issued on cd.

kenneth
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, it's hardly definitive if it ends when David and Eddie left the group. They had a lot more singles, and a lot more hits, after that. So we get none of the Dennis Edwards era? Their hits may have dried up later but this is an odd hybrid of a set in my humble opinion. I certainly won't buy it.

Jimi LaLumia
09-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Mine is on order, looking forward to it..

candykamaine
09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Well, it's hardly definitive if it ends when David and Eddie left the group. They had a lot more singles, and a lot more hits, after that. So we get none of the Dennis Edwards era? Their hits may have dried up later but this is an odd hybrid of a set in my humble opinion. I certainly won't buy it.

I think they have the remix of power here. But I think they are targeting this towards the casual fans or the Classic 5 fans who don't like any tempts line up past 1971. Hence why "papa was a rolling stone", "treat her like a lady", "stay" and other singles are'nt on CD, I guess.

If I had the money I would buy it.

kenneth
09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I think they have the remix of power here. But I think they are targeting this towards the casual fans or the Classic 5 fans who don't like any tempts line up past 1971. Hence why "papa was a rolling stone", "treat her like a lady", "stay" and other singles are'nt on CD, I guess.

If I had the money I would buy it.

I wouldn't think the casual fans would be interested in all the B-sides, but I suppose the powers that be know who their target market is.

smark21
09-21-2011, 08:13 PM

I think this set ends when Eddie left as David left several years earlier. I'm sure you're more than aware that Dennis is singing on songs from Cloud Nine onwards?

The Doctor Temptation
09-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't think i'll go out right away and buy this one
think about this.....if you're a tempt fan you already have these tunes

emperors of soul [[5) cd box set......has the same songs and more
if there was some unreleased material....maybe so
there is still a third album at atlantic records......is there more material in the motown vaults??????

Doc t

paladin
09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
True that Smark21.....duh ??????? The record thats fueling this set and piquing interest from the east coast to the west coast is Eddie Kendricks singing I Truly Believe.
I actually think this set is an emabarassment to the Temptations. No Ali Woodson, Damon Harris, Theo Peoples, Glen Leonard, Terry Weeks, Richard Street, Barrington, Harry,......hell no I aint buying this ........ Fifty years and you leave these guys out, double hell no.......

jobeterob
09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
But isn't it kind of nice to have all the singles together with the B Sides??

I want this although I find I get these things and don't play them enough these days........

Jimi LaLumia
09-23-2011, 08:00 AM
these Anniversary albums,both for The Temptations and The Supremes,clearly celebrate the anniversay of the original 60's era group, not 1970 and beyond; they seem to make that clear from the git go...I myself have ordered both and can't wait..in both cases, these were the golden years for these groups

paladin
09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
But isn't it kind of nice to have all the singles together with the B Sides??

I want this although I find I get these things and don't play them enough these days........

Yes it is nice but as Doctor Temptation said and I agree, Those of us that have been around for a while have these records . There is absolutely nothing in this set that I haven't heard before except I Truly Believe. The Doctor also has made a good point and I know the answer besides the records he mentioned, this set ends in 1971............what about all the other alternate takes and vault tracks that we haven't heard ? These recordings exist yet I can't fathom why they won't release any of them, a very good example was The Temptations alternate take of "Since I Lost My Baby", which in and of itself was pretty good. It was nice to hear what they did before the finished product was released. This compilation appears to be nothing more than a money grab. I doubt that in say, ten years I'll even care about what they didn't release.

<B>

these Anniversary albums,both for The Temptations and The Supremes,clearly celebrate the anniversay of the original 60's era group, not 1970 and beyond; they seem to make that clear from the git go...I myself have ordered both and can't wait..in both cases, these were the golden years for these groups

Jim I understand your viewpoint, I'n not as big of a Supreme fan as I am of The Tempts, but this set to me is a release by omission and for a true Tempt fan, will never suffice. </B>

kenneth
09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I think this set ends when Eddie left as David left several years earlier. I'm sure you're more than aware that Dennis is singing on songs from Cloud Nine onwards?

How right you are. So I guess we get some of the Dennis Edwards era: Cloud 9, Psychedelic Shack, Runaway Child, Papa Was a Rolling Stone maybe? Maybe not the last one...will have to review my Temptations Emperors of Soul box.

So, better than I thought before but still I think too many B-sides for casual fans and not complete enough for the die-hards, at least for this die-hard.

Motown4Ever518
09-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I just happen to be re-reading "Ain't To Proud To Beg"......and agree that if there was something more compelling than the one alternate version, this would have been ordered already. A more interesting listing might have been the classic lineup with all of the A- sides, B- sides and unreleased material so far. Also 50th Anniversary is perhaps a little misleading. With Emperors Of Soul available and the retail price of 3 CD's probably what one would pay for a good used copy of Emperors Of Soul, I don't see much of a market for this. Perhaps a missed opportunity, though this could be testing the waters for a complete album series from my favorite group. Which might have been a better way to go.

mr soul
09-24-2011, 05:16 AM
I wouldn't think the casual fans would be interested in all the B-sides, but I suppose the powers that be know who their target market is.

I love the irony Kenneth

kenneth
09-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I love the irony Kenneth

It seems to me that a casual fan would wonder why it takes 20 tracks on the first CD just to get to "My Girl." But hey, what do I know?

mr soul
09-25-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm balking at the £52 price tag on Amazon UK, surely even the completist will be waiting for a considerable price drop.

honest man
09-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Well i see that the alternative version of the 1 song appears on TMSC VOL 7,im gonna have to let this go.the price is so steep for a collection that i have already,although i support most of these releases,a tenner maybe might sway me.HA.If they had just thrown a few unissued tracks here it would-could have been more appealling,cheers folks.

mr soul
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I bought all but one of the TMSC for less than the price of this collection. I just don't get the price tag.

thisoldheart
09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
just noticed this & the supremes are to be packaged like the the motown singles collocton. that's a treat!

mr soul
09-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Wouldn't making the CD's out of gold be a better way of justifying the price.