PDA

View Full Version : com 4 samples on amazon

test

tamla617
08-22-2010, 06:20 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cellarful-Motown-Vol-4/dp/B003XDV3HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282515342&sr=1-1
short snippets of tracks on the up and coming!

rovereab
08-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Excellent :)

soulballad
08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Sounds Great! Thanks for the heads up!

I think I'm hearing Supremes on the Mary Wells track.

theboyfromxtown
08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I am listening to all the samples...these days you wonder how long they will be there!

I mentioned the Temps track on the soulful music forum....didn't want those guys missing out on that one. They will hopefully see that there is a Paul Williams solo too.

That Robert Dobyne track is fabulous. I love it. Snakepit will like this and he needs to check The House That Jack Built from JJ Barnes [[it's not like the version already issued)

The Marvelettes is very girly

Mary Wells....Have A Little Patience has her little helpers again!!

But listen to that HDH track.............Do you remember we talked about this on the old forum....bit of a high voice for a man though! LOL Well done for finding this one!

Classic Vandelllas

Ivy Jo has a track......great voice.....not unlike the vocal on a previous Cellarful track.

Tammi is in a very soulful mood.

The Stevie track gave me goose-pimples

I adore Shorty Long.........

No comment on Bird in the Hand or Think of the Times...GRRRR!

pj1
08-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Lead Me And Guide Me= LaBrenda Ben's[[?) I Got A Right To Cry... so that's what they meant earlier....
Whomever types the info at Amazon obviously doesn't listen to the selections as they have classified this as being of the New Age and Meditation genre!

pj1
08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Isn't it amazing how dear Oma can change her voice to sound just like Marvin's!! Let's hope that they correct the listing on amazon.

copley
08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Well I believe that Oma was a large lady so perhaps she was singing for two! So who do you think is the voice on the HD track?

dickiemint
08-22-2010, 07:44 PM
pj1,
I was just about to mention that I heard Marvin not Oma, and were the Supremes in the background of the Marvin solo track? From those breif snippets the Vandellas, Miracles, Dennis and David tracks are the stand outs, can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

pj1
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Hmmh.. interesting. Barbara McNair's second Motown album was "The Real Barbara McNair"..... Her selection here is entitled 'The Real You'. Is there a connection? Or is this just another "Watchout"/'Never Leave Your Baby's Side'-like moment?

marxthespot
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
It sounds like The Supremes or at least Diana on backing vocals on Mary Wells' "Have a Little Patience." A very nice set overall...Universal really came through on this one...

snakepit
08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Crosstown

The Robert Dobyne track was the one that hit me most...well guessed.
Agreed J.J. Barnes is a re-working of the version available on Goldmine stuff.

A fanatstic set, some wonderful tracks, Contours, Fantastic 4, Ivy jo,
Love the Smokey/Miracles
Four Tops rocks along....
Nice to have Paul Williams recognised.

"Dancing USA" sounds like the backing track to "nobody'll care" [[MRTV)

Monitors is nice too....

Stevie's will grow on me...

Wonderful set ....

positivesoul
08-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Tammi's track sounds AMAZING! The production doesn't sound typical of Fuqua/Bristol or any other Motown regulars to me, based upon the snippet. [[By the way, "Lone, Lonely Town" also sounds almost unique for Motown. Does anyone know its Producers & Writers??)

"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" seems to have a grandness very slightly akin to Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts". The Andantes again sound angelic! Strong, yet Tammi sounds in NO WAY overpowered or challenged. I think, like "All I DO...", this song will add yet another dimension of appreciation for those unaware of the greatness of her solo artistry.

I HAVE to also say that there are MANY cuts that I know are going to become favorites of mine real fast! Somebody's truly doing some things real, real right at Universal. BRAVO!

robb_k
08-23-2010, 01:44 PM
I took the link but can't find where to hear the samples. Can someone please walk me through that?

robb_k
08-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Very interesting.

BUT... They picked the WRONG version of Eddie Holland's "Twin Brother". This one is slower BY FAR than the one I'd have picked. The latter is a Motown rocker [[reminiscent of the tempo of "I'm On The Outside Looking In") that, I guarantee would be liked more by more people [[not that the one they picked was bad, you understand).

What's the story on the "so-called" Holland-Dozier cut titled "Lead Me, guide Me". What was played on the sample was "I've Got A Right To Cry" by the ubiquitous "unnamed group". That's what I saw on the Jobete Music Acetate. No artist was mentioned. Perhaps the backing track for that song was listed as "Lead Me, guide Me" and the track [[alone) was credited to "Holland-Dozier" as the released 45 with the background track and chorus [[+ 4 Tops)? But, that cut is by a Motown group [[probably one we know using a member that had no other lead vocal, OR a Motown solo artist [[whose voice we don't know, with The Andantes singing the background?). I tried for years to have people identify that lead voice. But no one has been able to. It's got to be some local Detroit singer/group that Motown had some kind of problem with [[too young to tour-parents refused to sign contract, or some other glitch). Otherwise with that talented voice and nice group harmony, they DEFINITELY would have been signed to a contract, and had a release.

I wonder if Robert Dobyne's song was written by someone else. I don't generally like his writing [[the songs have no structure, and go nowhere [[sort of like Frank Wilson's early writing)). But, this is BY FAR the best song he has sung, and sounds quite good to me.

Why is The Oma Heard and Marvin Gaye duet listed as by Oma Heard, only? At least they didn't call her Oma Page.

Her 2nd [[solo) cut is marvelous, as is Brenda's ballad, and "Think of The Times" by Carolyn Crawford. Which [[sorry to say this, John) bests the Velvelettes' version.

Nice cuts by Marv Johnson, Joe Stubbs, Dennis Edwards, The Spinners, the Monitors [[with Sandra on lead), Fantastic Four, and Mary Wells. Tammi Terrell's cut was disappointing.

Martha & Vandellas was very good.

Jr. Walker & All Stars' 2nd cut sounds like a cross between the track for "Shake and Fingerpop" and "Cleo's Mood".

The Utopians are clearly a female group. decent cut. So, they can't be The Utopias that were on Detroit's LaSalle Records.

The Agents cut is extremely sparse in instrumentation [[basically organ and bass). It doesn't sound like a Motown recording. But, if it were a leased master, it would NOT be Motown's property at this point, and couldn't be added to the CD set. What is the story on this one? I don't remember seeing any cuts by The Agents, nor hearing of them being with Motown. I do remember a Funk mainly instrumental group called The Agents, in Detroit in the late '60s and early '70s. I never heard of them being with Motown. Weren't they a house band for some label or front singing group?

Not sure why they put that "supper club" ballad by Barbara McNair on that CD. It doesn't seem to go with the rest. It should go on a CD with "The Second Time Around" by Mary Wells, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" by The Four Tops, "The Best Is Yet To Come" by The Miracles, some of The Marvin Gaye cuts from his "Mellow Mood" LP, and some Supremes' cuts from their "Broadway" LP.

theboyfromxtown
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Robb_k

I am glad you managed to get to hear them at last. I struggled at first too.

Paul has his work cut out to give you all that information but I have every confidence in him doing a grand job.

paul_nixon
08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
What's the story on the "so-called" Holland-Dozier cut titled "Lead Me, guide Me". What was played on the sample was "I've Got A Right To Cry" by the ubiquitous "unnamed group". That's what I saw on the Jobete Music Acetate. No artist was mentioned. Perhaps the backing track for that song was listed as "Lead Me, guide Me" and the track [[alone) was credited to "Holland-Dozier" as the released 45 with the background track and chorus [[+ 4 Tops)? But, that cut is by a Motown group [[probably one we know using a member that had no other lead vocal, OR a Motown solo artist [[whose voice we don't know, with The Andantes singing the background?). I tried for years to have people identify that lead voice. But no one has been able to. It's got to be some local Detroit singer/group that Motown had some kind of problem with [[too young to tour-parents refused to sign contract, or some other glitch). Otherwise with that talented voice and nice group harmony, they DEFINITELY would have been signed to a contract, and had a release.

I have seen an acetate for this track with the artist identified and the titlte listed as I've Got A Right To Cry, we have been looking for this particular cut for years with absolutly no luck - until now.

I wonder if Robert Dobyne's song was written by someone else. I don't generally like his writing [[the songs have no structure, and go nowhere [[sort of like Frank Wilson's early writing)). But, this is BY FAR the best song he has sung, and sounds quite good to me.

Written by Staunton Jones.

Why is The Oma Heard and Marvin Gaye duet listed as by Oma Heard, only? At least they didn't call her Oma Page.

Amazon's mistake it's not like this on the jacket, TCMS and it's writers put us right on the Heard/Page debacle.

Tammi Terrell's cut was disappointing.

Give it time - it's a grower

The Agents cut is extremely sparse in instrumentation [[basically organ and bass). It doesn't sound like a Motown recording. But, if it were a leased master, it would NOT be Motown's property at this point, and couldn't be added to the CD set. What is the story on this one? I don't remember seeing any cuts by The Agents, nor hearing of them being with Motown. I do remember a Funk mainly instrumental group called The Agents, in Detroit in the late '60s and early '70s. I never heard of them being with Motown. Weren't they a house band for some label or front singing group?

There is a theory that this is a Motown band without it's famously named lead, try working it out when you get the album.

Not sure why they put that "supper club" ballad by Barbara McNair on that CD. It doesn't seem to go with the rest. It should go on a CD with "The Second Time Around" by Mary Wells, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" by The Four Tops, "The Best Is Yet To Come" by The Miracles, some of The Marvin Gaye cuts from his "Mellow Mood" LP, and some Supremes' cuts from their "Broadway" LP

Both side ending cuts were used to close each side with for a specific reason to show how Motown artists could cut the mustard in various ways, from out and out R'n'B to sassy supper club, smokey blues and ballads.

I hope this goes some way to answering a few of your questions but I have to say it's great that the collection is causing this kind of discussion even before it arrives in the stores.

copley
08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
IMHO, there are absolutly no disappointing tracks on COM4. Loving all the clips. Not sure what my special favs are yet as there's so many to choose from. Great to have Brenda's 'My Baby Moves Me' & Marvin & Oma's 'Your Kiss Kiss' officially released at last. Love the Blackberries, Mary, Jr. Walker, Blinky, Gladys, Martha, the HD track with one hell of a surprise on lead, Shorty, Marvelettes, Tammi, Brenda, Babs Mc, Chuck, Vows & Tempts. The Robert Dobyne track is a big surprise. This could be the best COM yet. Can't wait till Mon.

theboyfromxtown
08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Wow Paul

I was expecting the reply to be in the CD liner notes......

Robb-K - how's that for direct information and before release too.

Copley....what's happening on Monday, besides it being a public holiday. Is it beers and fags at your gaff?

robb_k
08-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Paul. So, if "I've Got A Right To Cry" IS confirmed as the correct title, why was "lead Me, Guide Me" listed as the title on this CD package? I can understand if the artist of an instrumental is not known, they might use Holland-Dozier [[as a fill-in), IF they were known as the producers. But, why list them as artists of a female group vocal??? That makes no sense. Not that it matters, as no information is available YET [[I'm hoping that irrefutable documentation will eventually be found to determine who recorded that cut), without anything to go on but listening, I guessed that the group was LaBrenda Ben and The Beljeans. But several people listening said the lead singer wasn't LaBrenda. We will just have to wait until documentation is found.

The acetate we had access to on "I've Got A Right To Cry" had that title hand-typed in red ink onto a blank white label on the one-sided acetate. Jobete Music, Inc, was typed in black ink. No artist was listed. These acetates with no artist listed were only used as references for publishing rights to the songs. If you saw an acetate with the group name on it as well, maybe that belonged to Motown Record Corp. rather than Jobete Music. In any case, it would be nice to know who the group was. But, I think they should change that song title before printing. [[Is that still possible?)

copley
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm not Paul but as COM4 is due out on Mon I rather think that it's too late for any changes don't you.

copley
08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Wow Paul

I was expecting the reply to be in the CD liner notes......

Robb-K - how's that for direct information and before release too.

Copley....what's happening on Monday, besides it being a public holiday. Is it beers and fags at your gaff?

Well John, it's not a BH or a PH up here. As for beer & fags - oh how vile!

144man
08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm thinking that if I listen to the samples, it might lessen the impact.
Does anyone regret listening to the clips and not waiting for the cd's release?

copley
08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I was worried about that but all it's done is build up the tension to the big day. I've now played the clips twice and will do so once again tomorrow then wait :)

144man
08-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I'll decide tomorrow then. I don't want to wake up the neighbours.

144man
08-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I gave in to temptation. Absolutely brilliant. I've decided not to play them again....well maybe just one more time or so.

snakepit
08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
I've played these snippets so often that I'm sure the complete tracks , when I get them, will be a major disapointment
:)

paul_nixon
08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Not a chance as the track was listed and cleared through the sytem that way - and it's by no means a given that the information flaoting around is correct - the best thing to say is believed or formerly known as - I've learned this practice after years in the newspaper industry.

Thanks for the quick response, Paul. So, if "I've Got A Right To Cry" IS confirmed as the correct title, why was "lead Me, Guide Me" listed as the title on this CD package? I can understand if the artist of an instrumental is not known, they might use Holland-Dozier [[as a fill-in), IF they were known as the producers. But, why list them as artists of a female group vocal??? That makes no sense.

The acetate we had access to on "I've Got A Right To Cry" had that title hand-typed in red ink onto a blank white label on the one-sided acetate. Jobete Music, Inc, was typed in black ink. No artist was listed. These acetates with no artist listed were only used as references for publishing rights to the songs. If you saw an acetate with the group name on it as well, maybe that belonged to Motown Record Corp. rather than Jobete Music. In any case, it would be nice to know who the group was. But, I think they should change that song title before printing. [[Is that still possible?)