PDA

View Full Version : Beatles '1' is No. 1 again

test

jobeterob
09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Beatles ‘1’ is No. 1 – again
Beatlemania never really dies, does it?

The Beatles album “1,” a collection of the Fab Four’s No. 1 hits that spent eight weeks as the nation’s No. 1 album in 2000 – and was the top-selling CD of the 2000-09 – premiered on iTunes Tuesday.

You won’t need eight days a week to predict where it debuted. Yep, in the top spot.

And not just in the United States. “1” also hit No. 1 in Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, Mexico, Sweden, Spain, New Zealand and Greece, according to a press release from Capitol/EMI. Not bad for an album of songs that are already available on iTunes, thanks to the release of the Beatles’ entire catalog two years ago.

Indeed, the Beatles have proven to be among iTunes’ biggest artists, along with such upstarts as Adele, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Lil Wayne. Worldwide, the band – which broke up more than 40 years ago – has sold more than 9 million songs and 1.5 million albums on the downloading service.

Leading the hit parade is nothing new for the Beatles. Over the course of the band’s career, the Liverpudlians had 20 songs and 19 albums hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts – including such post-breakup records as “1967-70” [[the “Blue” album), all three “Anthology” CDs and, of course, “1.”

Artists will be paying tribute to John, Paul, George and Ringo over the next couple weeks, thanks to a Twitter hashtag - #MyBeatles1 – with which such folks as Coldplay and Foo Fighters will tweet about their favorite Beatles No. 1 single.

In a tweet released by the label to CNN.com, Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl cast his vote for “Hey Jude”: "Perhaps the greatest rock and roll anthem of all time. The one song that I'd send into space to help the aliens understand the human race.”

Coldplay went with “Something”: “Our favourite Beatles song is ‘Something.’ Because just when you thought Lennon and McCartney couldn't get any better, Harrison comes along and writes the best song of the lot.”

What’s toppermost of the poppermost on your Beatles chart?

smark21
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Beatles are also the #1 most pirated act as well.

soulster
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
The Beatles are awesome! I just wish they would have used the mono singles mixes instead of the crappy stereo mixes.

bankhousedave
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I still think my friend Lionel was wise to turn them down back in the sixties. Just think of all the money he would have had to count.

jobeterob
09-19-2011, 10:57 PM
I notice that there is nary a young girl that turns down Sir Paul these days, no matter what his age!

Roberta75
09-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I notice that there is nary a young girl that turns down Sir Paul these days, no matter what his age!

I hate to be naughty but Paul McCartney could make this gal do unspeakable acts. LOL

Partly in jest.

Roberta

soulster
09-20-2011, 01:19 AM
I hate to be naughty...

No you don't! LOL!