PDA

View Full Version : Shining Star

test

heikki
09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi!

Not only the members of the group, but also the producer/songwriter Leo Graham out of Chicago and the songwriter Barbara Morr are interviewed at
http://www.soulexpress.net/manhattans_part4.htm
covering the 80s.

Best regards
Heikki

soulster
09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Damn I thought you were going to talk about earth Wind & Fire's "Shining Star".

MIKEW-UK
09-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Great stuff, Heikki - always rated The Manhattans from their Carnival days to the present.....

I had the great pleasure of meeting The Manhattans when they played The Fairmont Copley in Boston in 1989, when Roger Harris had just replaced Gerald who had gone solo. They were a super bunch of guys, as were their crew - even gave me a free copy of their Sweet Talk album. Shame is they played to an audience of less than thirty people. There had been absolutely zero promotion, and it was kind of shocking to see such a great performance to such a tiny audience. Ever the consummate professionals, they gave a full show with all the commitment they are renowned for.

smooth
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Heikki...
The Manhattans are a very professional group of performers with killer harmonies!
When I lived in Jersey City ,New Jersey I would see them all the time in my neighborhood Downtown.
I still have an autographed photo of the group in my office next to the Temptations!!!
Gerald is one of the premier Soul vocalist of our time and proved it with the Manhattans.
Shining Star and Kiss And Say Goodbye are Classics!

P.S Heikki Did you receive the New Song...Sweet Memories...Love Symphony...Sent via email on 9/11 2011?
Smooth

Nothing But Soul
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
For those Manhattans fans that may be interested, Shout Factory [[www.shoutfactory.com [[http://www.shoutfactory.com)) has the 3-CD set Sweet Talking Soul: The Manhattans 1965-1990 on sale for $8.99. This set contains all 45 of the group's charting hits from four different record labels. The first disc, which is comprised of material from their Carnival and Deluxe label days, was of particular interest to me. With shipping and handling [[$3.49), the set comes to 12.48, which is still a good deal for something that normally lists for over $30. My guess is that this set is being discounted so much because it's probably being discontinued.

heikki
09-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Hi Smooth!

What amazes me most is the number of gorgeous ballads and beautiful mid-tempo songs on albums and on singles, which never became hits but got lost. I even prefer some of them to those big hits.

Smooth, I received Sweet Memories, and it was... sweet :-). Let me get back to you next weekend after my trip.

Best regards
Heikki

smooth
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi Heikki

Thank you for listening to Sweet Memories...Love Symphony.
Enjoy your trip and I look forward to hearing from you next weekend.

Smooth