PDA

View Full Version : Temptations Coming to Broadway

test

The Doctor Temptation
09-10-2011, 02:23 PM
[/URL] [[http://temptsinfo.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=post&thread=5488&quote=121604&page=1) [URL="javascript:doConfirm[['Are you sure you want to delete this post?','/index.cgi?board=general&action=deletepost&thread=5488&post=121604&page=1',1,1)"]
Broadway is calling on the Temptations.

Otis Williams, the Motown group’s sole surviving founding member, says a stage musical is in the works based on the 1998 NBC miniseries, “The Temptations,” reports Billboard. Broadway producer Ira Pittleman is working with the group on the project.
“It’s still so popular and loved,” Williams told Billboard.com. “I get calls all the time, like, ‘Man, the miniseries is on!’ and stuff like that. That’s the catalyst, and [[Pittleman) is waiting to do the Tempts story. I never would have imagined the possibilities of the Tempts life story going to Broadway, but it’s wonderful.”
However, Williams says the group plans to wait until Motown founder Berry Gordy, Jr., gets his own Broadway musical, which is reportedly slated to open in April 2012, on the boards.
“Then, after that, the Temptations will get into action. They haven’t even started writing the script, so it’s really early,” says Williams, who will serve as an executive producer.
Williams says he and the Temptations camp have no involvement in the Gordy Motown musical, however.
“That is all under Mr. Gordy’s control,” Williams said. “I definitely will be going to see it. I think we’re in it two or three different times, guys portraying the Temptations, and I’m very happy for Mr. Gordy because he’s had such an illustrious career that should be magnified as much as possible because he’s been a wonderful inspiration to the lot of us.”
While the Temptations’ musical will recall the group’s glory years, Williams and company hope to add to the story by the time it opens. After rolling out a new album, “Still Here,” in 2010, Williams said the group — which this year celebrations the 50th anniversary of its name change from the Elgins to the Temptations — is starting to eyeball its successor.
“Yeah, we will be doing another CD in [[2012),” Williams said. “We’d like for there to be some new music by the time the Broadway musical opens. We’ll start putting that together a little later during this year, or the beginning of next year.”

nabob
09-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I wish them well and hope that the music rights are made available for inclusion. This has been a death blow to other projects like the Marvin Gaye bio pic.

uptight
09-10-2011, 08:56 PM
If Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons can have The Jersey Boys, Otis Williams can "get it together on Broadway" as well [[pun intended).

Jimi LaLumia
09-10-2011, 10:35 PM
that's why "Dreamgirls" is the closest we ever got to a Supremes musical/movie..

bradsupremes
09-10-2011, 11:58 PM
It would be nice to see this materialize, but I hope they consult all Temptations for their views. Jersey Boys was an awesome musical, but I wasn't happy with how they handled Joe Long in the show with him appearing as a silhouette at the back of the stage as they briefly mentioned how he was a replacement in the group. For someone who appeared in the group for 10 years and appeared on a number of hits, I found it to be a slap in the face. I hope they don't handle members of the Temptations in this same fashion if the musical materializes.

uptight
09-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Brad, I bet you they will do things like what you described, like showing someone in silhouette. Since they can't pay tribute at length to everyone who helped the main characters succeed, they will always combine real-life characters, combine stories and events to make the whole story fit into the format of a stage play. It is required on stage and screen.

How many Temptations were there..? Maybe they will only focus on one era of the group, like everyone's favorite era -- the 60s.

Jimi LaLumia
09-11-2011, 10:56 AM
A show has to be designed to please the Least Common Denominator- the audience member who knows absolutely nothing about the subject matter,and doesn't really want to know..they just want to enjoy a great show with the SONGS that they know.. the SONGS is what the average audience member is living for and will come back again for, with friends, if it's done right..these shows are tributes, not history lessons

tomato tom
09-11-2011, 03:57 PM
I went to see the Jersey Boys and, honestly, was not expecting much. It was, quite simply, one of the best evening outs I have ever had. Now if they can do The Temptations justice...bring it on!..Paulo xxx

arrr&bee
09-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I hope it's better than the movie!!

Roberta75
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
I went to see the Jersey Boys and, honestly, was not expecting much. It was, quite simply, one of the best evening outs I have ever had. Now if they can do The Temptations justice...bring it on!..Paulo xxx

I have to agree with you paulo when it comes to Jersey Boys. I saw it in NY and Las Vegas and it was beyond fantastic.

candykamaine
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Brad, I bet you they will do things like what you described, like showing someone in silhouette. Since they can't pay tribute at length to everyone who helped the main characters succeed, they will always combine real-life characters, combine stories and events to make the whole story fit into the format of a stage play. It is required on stage and screen.

How many Temptations were there..? Maybe they will only focus on one era of the group, like everyone's favorite era -- the 60s.

I have a feeling that they will prob concentrate on the Pre Motown,Classic 5, The Psychedelic soul and maybe a bit of the papa was a rolling stone era. I hope if it does come to fruition it I would be able to see it. :)