PDA

View Full Version : Why Are We At This Site?

test

Motown4Ever518
09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I am a 50-ish,[[Closer to 60-ish), African American gentlemen, who is very spiritual, has a family that I adore, is involved in community events, is a musician, and trys to stay as fit as my well worn body allows. And is a passionate fan of all the pro sports teams from my hometown of Philadelphia.

I enjoy all types of music, especially classic jazz. As a child of the 60's who grew up on AM Top 40, and and later Undeground FM with it's expanded playlist, as well as growing up in a household were Berlioz was played alongside Belafonte. To falling in love with a wonderful woman of a Caribean background who has an interest in vocalists, and a 13 year old who is exposed to music that 13 year olds listen to, I would say that I have diverse collection of music.

Of all of the styles, the music that can give me goose bumps, I have to admit, is music from the classic Motown period. This morning while coming from shopping with my wife, Don't Mess With Bill was on the Sirius radio station that I listen to. No disrespect to the songs that came on before or after, and some of the songs were massive chart topping hits, they did not move me as the Marvelettes song did.

So a year ago, when I discovered this site, I was pretty pleased. Because the truth of the matter is, if we say that I know 1,000 people who are in my age group, I am not sure that I could list a single person who knows about, cares about, or even gives a second thought to the music of the classic period. Much less able to talk knowingly about alternative versions, with different mixes, such as It's The Same Old Song, of which I am aware of 3 possibly 4 different mixes. You have people who are involved in issuing product today, people who were involved in the business in the time frame of the classic period, people from other countries, and cultures that are active on the site, this is one of the best sites I have been associated with. Because I usually travel for business during the week, I can only get on on the weekends, and even that is not for long. My feeling is that everyone has an opinion, and that opinion should be respected. If a member of the forum want's to buy for instance the Supremes Complete singles, after looking at the listing I have just about every title, so it will not be a need to purchase event for me. But to that person who loves everything Supreme, or everything Miss Ross, I say great if they want to buy the product. If they are happy, I am happy for them. As an aside, it's like TCMS Volume 6, I don't own it yet, I have all of the previous releases, as well as 1967. but haven't gotten around to purchasing that yet. What is amazing to me is that it is a 5 Disc Set, and most of the material has been released umpteen times. From a sales standpoint would it kill Hipo Select to release another run of 2,500 or 5,000 copies? Probably not. But that is my point. 1966 was probably the most classic of the classic period and thanks to the internet, worldwide, 5,000 people jumped on it and purchased it when it came out. So if we say that the sales potential of that set is 10 times that, there are about 50,000 people in the world who would care about this set even if it was a buy 1 get 1. Let us not forget that there are folks out there who would buy this particular installment never even listening to Ms. Christine Schmucher take a turn at Mother You, Smother You.as an investment.

I am at times a Midnight Rambler[[Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed -London Records), but I say all of the above to say that people, we have a good thing here at this site, lets not ruin it.

kenneth
09-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Sincere and well meaning. Take a listen, folks.

That being said, I just stay out of the fray [[usually) when the fur starts to fly...it doesn't affect my appreciation for the site or all the great information I've learned from being on here. There's a reason why the word "fan" comes from "fanatic," isn't there.

Take care and stay involved!

Motown4Ever518
09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
That is my point Kenneth. I too have learned a lot, and actually "when the fur starts to fly", actually chuckle, even if it's directed towards me. Because to me the important thing is the music, and the appreciation of those like minded or not who care to share the thoughts they have. Numerically there are not a lot of us, let us enjoy each other if we don't agree with each other all of the time.

kenneth
09-05-2011, 12:24 PM
That is my point Kenneth. I too have learned a lot, and actually "when the fur starts to fly", actually chuckle, even if it's directed towards me. Because to me the important thing is the music, and the appreciation of those like minded or not who care to share the thoughts they have. Numerically there are not a lot of us, let us enjoy each other if we don't agree with each other all of the time.

Yes, I have learned that even opinions I assume are fairly universal...are not. My biggest comeuppance was when I assumed everyone else hated "No Matter What Sign You Are," just like I do, and then there were scads of folks who said they loved that song! Now that was one thing I thought everyone would agree on, but there you go. As they say, to each his own!

tomato tom
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Thats why I love this site. As far as I am concerned, EVERYONE is entitled to buy what they like, love who they like. have an opinion they like, and so on. I too chuckle when some of the members on here DO get, shall we say, a little bit too carried away? Great fun!...Paulo xxx

soulwally
09-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Motown4ever: Your comments really gelled with me, a 60-ish [[well, over) white soul/Motown fan from the North of England. Your friends are here, despite the occasional catfight. Carry on playing your part here

Motown4Ever518
09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
You know what Soul Wally, I know that should I find myself in the North of England, there is someone that I have a connection to, like a Fraternity, a Brotherhood, or Peoplehood if you will. Conversely, if you should find yourself in the Northern States of the US there is a fellow fan.

vcq
09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I love my SDF :-) It's the ONLY place I have to connect with true aficionados of Motown and soul. I'm in my thirties and grew up on classic Motown, blues and soul [[my dad's also a member on SDF, but I won't give away his screen name!).

I had a great Motown moment at work today that sent chills down my spine...I was taking a break sitting outside our building, when a young man stepped outside his office and started singing the most beautiful acapella version of the Temps' "Just My Imagination." I don't think he realized he had an appreciative [[Motown-crazed) audience out there with him! So glad to see that some of us Gen Yers love Motown...my greatest fear is that after the Baby Boomers are gone, there won't be a market for truly great Motown and soul music from the '60s. I don't know anyone my age who is passionate about Motown or Southern Soul...a couple of my middle-aged coworkers are, but that's it.

loveblind
09-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I too stay away from the Drama. I love the music and I love communicating with music enthusiasts. We can all learn from each other. But I don't like the hate some folk have for certain stars [[That I won't name) It's really unhealthy. I' ve been around this site long enough to usually know who is going to be negative. SO I ignore them and just know that's the way they are...But it's so much more cool when everybody is being democratic ........and just being about the music instead of starting cat / dog fights...so uncool!

soulster
09-09-2011, 01:41 AM
I am probably younger than the majority of members here. I am a late-40ish Black American man who was old enough in the 60s to have enjoyed all that Motown [[and Stax, Atlantic, British Invasion, psychedelic rock, jazz, what-have-you) music the first time around. My fondest childhood memories was Saturday afternoons and evenings when my family played records all day long. R&B in the day, jazz at night. And I got the pop stuff from the radio. I would stand there and watch the 45s spin as the record played. I could even read the labels when I was three years old! I can still see that purple Gordy 45 of The Temptations' "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" spinning around. I used to watch my father's big reel-to-reels turn as they played the Impressions albums that he lovingly taped. I remember watching American Bandstand on Saturday mornings on the B&W TV, wondering why the people looked stoned moving around to The Byrds' "Turn Turn Turn [[To Every season)". My babysitter used to play The Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love" and "You keep Me Hanging On" repeatedly back to back all evening. Those two songs remain my favorite Supremes records. And, the babysitter was HOT! :)

I am a music collector, and what is known as an audiophile. That's a dirty word to some people who don't understand, but it just means I appreciate, and seek, better quality sound from the music I love. I also have the mind of a sound engineer. I don't just hear the music, or the singers, or words, I hear the soundstage, the room, the frequencies, the details...everything in the recording and reproduction of it. I have always been this way. It's just part of me. But, I also love the way all those mono singles of the 60s and 70s sound. Those mixes take me back to how they sounded on the radio and how those 45s sounded as a kid. To hear those mono hit mixes take me back in time. I also specialize in transferring tape and records to digital. I have literally done thousands of 60s, 70s, and 80s records over the last 14 years. My main interest is mastering. I love it. I have also done some mixingfor clients and friends who are musicians.

I come here because this is the only place...and I mean only place where R&B is discussed here with more than a passing curiosity. It is not treated like something that's annoying.

I like, have, and appreciate most types of music, with the exception of modern country, opera, and most reggae. But I still have examples of those in my massive collection as well. I was also a teen in the 70s, so I love all the stuff rarely discussed here, possibly because of the age of many of the forum? I don't know. Rufus, Ohio Players, Earth, Wind & Fire, Average White band, Roy Ayers, Ramsey Lewis...all that stuff! Even the 80s with Prince, Junior, Shalamar, The Whispers...it's all good! I listen to pop/rock too! A lot of that stuff is very soulful as well!

These days, I live in a world where no one knows about, or respects R&B music unless it's the current stuff, and maybe not even that! That leaves this place and the other place I frequent to discuss any soul music. Since there are at least two other people here who also post at the other forum, you all know what i'm talking about. You mention soul music, or funk, and they'll think of Adele and Talking Heads. Stevie Wonder gets mentioned on a good day. This is another reason I wish this place had a broader spectrum of music discussion other than Motown. After all, Motown wasn't the only thing happening in the 60s, and Motown was around in the 70s. Must be that age thing again.

I do not have a favorite artist or band, and do not have a favorite song. There's just too much there to love! I am pretty liberal about what I listen to. I do not discount something because of lyrics or subject matter. I might avoid certain artists and their music if I have strong feelings about their politics or if they show me to be racist. You won't find any Toby Keith or Ted Nugent in my collection!

When I come here, I like to see R&B/soul music of all shapes discussed here. I know it's called "Soulful Detroit", but since this is about the only place where R&B is taken so seriously, I feel that a broader scope of music discussion should be allowed, but that's just my opinion. But, it's really a drag [[no pun intended here) to see days and days of Diana Ross & The Supremes threads. Can't stop it. People want to discuss what snacks she and the girls ate on the evening of October 17 at 8:30. And speaking of DR & The Supremes...

I do not hate them. Man, that music is part of my personal soundtrack. But, I am not a fan [[as in fanatical) of the artist, just the music. Sure, there are many people here who are fans of the artist. That's their thing. But, you have to realize that the more one side forces their issue, the more people will come out swinging against it. Take down the crazed fan mode a notch and the resistance will fade too. Heh! Even I started a Ross thread a bit ago. That thread was of a technical nature. No, I didn't expect much interest for it around here, but was kind of hoping that one of the Motown veteran engineers would see it and chime in. Nope. A few people showed interest. Then I got was someone telling me how geeky and boring all that "crap" was.

The new singles set was mentioned. I, and a couple of others, stated that I have the stuff already and don't need it. Apparently, that didn't sit well with some people. Why am I going to buy something I don't need? If you need it, you should buy it. I buy something because I need it, not because of the artist. Respect it.

You guys say to start some threads about what I like, and I tried that. Most of them sank without one single response. Then it was back to what color panties Diana Ross wore at bedtime last week. Yeah, i'm exaggerating a bit, but you get my point.

And, yeah, since this country is so split on politics, perhaps it's good that political discussion has gone down around here.

kenneth
09-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Soulster,

You have great taste, except you left out Parliament-Funkadelic! If you were into Ohio Players and Average White Band, I just know you had to be into Mr. Clinton and his friends!

soulster
09-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Soulster,

You have great taste, except you left out Parliament-Funkadelic! If you were into Ohio Players and Average White Band, I just know you had to be into Mr. Clinton and his friends!

I only mentioned them for examples, man! There are numerous artists I could list for the 70s, like mighty The O'Jays, Bar-Kays, Con Funk Shun, Heatwave, Natalie Cole, Emotions, Johnnie Taylor, Lou Rawls, Chic, LTD...yes, and Parliament/Funkadelic! The list goes on!

I just think it's unfortunate that this place is called "Soulful Detroit" because it leads people to only discuss Motown. What about Jackie Wilson, Dyke & The Blazers, Gene Chandler, The Hues Corporation? Donna Summer?

But, isn't it funny how this is the second thread in a week that discusses the state of this forum?

kenneth
09-09-2011, 02:55 AM
I think on the Soulful Detroit blog they do talk about other artists though. Maybe that forum could be expanded [[or renamed?) to be more general in nature. I mean we don't need to have forums for Philly Soul, and Chicago Soul and so on.

Speaking of P-Funk, I found some great live shows online. There's some great forums with tons of live concerts stored, mostly rock but some of other artists. Haven't found any Motown yet. But the P-Funk shows are pretty good. I've really enjoyed their live performances that have been issued over the years since they stopped recording. Some amazing music.

Remember those great Ohio Players covers? That same girl was on most of them. Remember the one with the honey dripping all over her? Nice! Those beautiful gatefold LP covers couldn't be the same in CD size!

soulster
09-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Remember those great Ohio Players covers? That same girl was on most of them. Remember the one with the honey dripping all over her? Nice! Those beautiful gatefold LP covers couldn't be the same in CD size!

That "Honey" album was the first Ohio Players LP I bought. My mother wasn't too crazy about it, but she never said a word, nor did she attempt to remove it. She knew I was serious about the music.

MIKEW-UK
09-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Soulster, your post was very interesting....it started I am probably younger than the majority of members here. I am a late-40ish Black American man who was old enough in the 60s to have enjoyed all that Motown [[and Stax, Atlantic, British Invasion, psychedelic rock, jazz, what-have-you) music the first time around. My fondest childhood memories was Saturday afternoons and evenings when my family played records all day long. R&B in the day, jazz at night.

It really did a great job of not only spelling out the forum's value to you but also gave us a little insight into you personally and what you appreciate and why. I guess many of us have our own specific interests in the music, but in this forum I think we are all genuinely united by our shared common interests and goodwill to each other. Nice post...

skooldem1
09-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Then I got was someone telling me how geeky and boring all that "crap" was.

Your so consumed with Diana Ross and the Supremes its too funny. I was the one who said that, and you are kind of taking it out of context. The point at that time was to say that we all have interest. Those not interested in the things you like- tend to stay away from those topics, but they never write novels to express just how uninteresting it is to them. Why do you feel the need to ALWAYS bring up your disdain for Diana Ross/Supremes fans? Its baffling. Somehow you think you can do this because as you have mentioned 500 times, you started ONE THREAD about Diana Ross. LMAO. Like what you like, discuss what you like and spare us the "no one has interest in what I like" post.

selinasian
09-09-2011, 10:36 AM
My two daughters are aged 26 and 27 and both love Motown! Heck, even my 4 grandchildren [[9,7,5 and 4) like Michael Jackson including the Motown stuff.
My kids were brought up in a house that always had Motown and Northern soul blaring out of the hi-fi!

soulster
09-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Your so consumed with Diana Ross and the Supremes its too funny.

Gee, this thread was going great until you started this crap. Seems you're one of those "problem" people on this forum.

I was the one who said that, and you are kind of taking it out of context.

I know you said it. I didn't want to call you out. The purpose was to keep this thread from turning into another train wreck by not calling anyone out.

The point at that time was to say that we all have interest. Those not interested in the things you like- tend to stay away from those topics,

You didn't.

but they never write novels to express just how uninteresting it is to them.

Unlike you...

Why do you feel the need to ALWAYS bring up your disdain for Diana Ross/Supremes fans?

Point to where I have ever said that I have a disdain for them? I simply have stated that I am not a crazed fan. I hold their music [[actually, it's all 60s Motown) on the same level of importance as many other Motown groups. It's just kind of annoying when you have people who seem to have NO other interest but DR & The Supremes. Kind of makes for a boring forum with little diversity. There is a wealth of music and artists we can discuss here.

Somehow you think you can do this because as you have mentioned 500 times, you started ONE THREAD about Diana Ross. LMAO.

Why does it bother you that there are those who just don't care so much about DR and the Supremes? I frequent another forum where the dominant membership is obsessed with The Beatles. This isn't the only place with obsessed fans. I know people who are so obsessed with the Beatles that they need to know how much poop John Lennon dropped on his last day he recorded "Cold Turkey". Many of us complain about that too!

Like what you like, discuss what you like and spare us the "no one has interest in what I like" post.

I will if you refrain from your personal attacks. No...wait! I have an idea: put me on your ignore list and i'll do the same to you. That way we stay out of each other's way. I have no interest in engaging in cyber fights with you or anyone else.

soulster
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Soulster, your post was very interesting....it started I am probably younger than the majority of members here. I am a late-40ish Black American man who was old enough in the 60s to have enjoyed all that Motown [[and Stax, Atlantic, British Invasion, psychedelic rock, jazz, what-have-you) music the first time around. My fondest childhood memories was Saturday afternoons and evenings when my family played records all day long. R&B in the day, jazz at night.

It really did a great job of not only spelling out the forum's value to you but also gave us a little insight into you personally and what you appreciate and why. I guess many of us have our own specific interests in the music, but in this forum I think we are all genuinely united by our shared common interests and goodwill to each other. Nice post...

Ahem! getting back to our nice little thread...

I recall the summer before I got my first record player that my mom came home with two 45s: "The Horse" by Cliff Nobles & Co, and "Grazing In The Grass" by Hugh Masekela. I made her play those two over and over! I was five years old, but wasn't really allowed to play records on the big stereo. When I was three, my sister let me do it just once, and I wound up cracking "I Think I'm Going Out Of My Head" by Little Anthony & The Imperials trying to put it on the spindle. That poor little DCP single was never the same. You know...wait...i'm gonna get geeky here again...I spent many years trying to find that 45 again, as the stereo mixes you find on CD just don't sound right. I finally found it on iTunes[[!). The single mix sounds drier, and the background vocals are louder.

Thanks for the kind words. I love reading about others' experience with music, and what this forum means to them.

skooldem1
09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Diana Ross, Supremes, Diana Ross, Supremes, Diana Ross, Supremes.

Rarely does one of your post not mention those names. You are obsessed. Ask yourself, why is it so important for you to tell folks that you are not a fanatic. You don't think this or that about them? WHY WHY WHY do you always have to do this? Its you sir with the problem, not I.

skooldem1
09-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm a grown man, I don't need to put anyone on "ignore". I would just do it [[ignore you) if/when I feel like it. You are right diversity is key. Some like Blinky and thats all they talk about, some like Tammi, some Martha, some Temptations. If that is ALL they like that is their business. But between fans of all the above mentioned artist participate then it will be more diverse. You can't hate on those who are vocal and add to this forum discussing what they like. All others need to step up. How would you like it if in every single thread/ post you participate in, if someone ALWAYS came in talking about how utterly boring this conversation is and why o why are you bringing up all this tech stuff again. Of course little digs about the kind of person you are for liking what you like would be added in the mix. This is what you do sir and you are so consumed with jealousy [[ of what I don't know) that you don't even realize this is what you do. Sad really.

ralpht
09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey Skool,
I think you are a bit out of line on this one. Please, both of you guys, back off.

candykamaine
09-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm 22 although I really don't think I'm taken as seriously because of my age. :[[ I'm mostly here to talk about Motown [[mostly Tempts) and many other soul acts. Although I prefur to lurk because I am usally afraid that I will post something stupid.

RossHolloway
09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm 22 although I really don't think I'm taken as seriously because of my age. :[[ I'm mostly here to talk about Motown [[mostly Tempts) and many other soul acts. Although I prefur to lurk because I am usally afraid that I will post something stupid.

Welcome! And feel free to post any questions about the Temps or any other Motown group. The Temps aren't discussed enough in these parts. Be sure to do a search on the Temps for some earlier theads, they are loaded with great information. But don't let anyone intimidate you, it's really not that kind of board. I'm sure you're probably learned by now to steer clear of the heated Supremes/Diana Ross threads. But chime in and have fun.

ralpht
09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Candy,
Please feel free to ask any question you choose. What happens is we will all learn something new.

satipe
09-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Candy,

It is wonderful that young people like yourself come here as you are the ones who will continue the legacy of many older artists and it is great that you even like their music as well. I work with 16-19 year old students as I am a teacher and I am BLESSED as many Motown acts like the Tempts and other soul artists have helped us, talked to us and have become our friends.

Teachers always say no question is stupid and in your case, no thread or topic is stupid. You ask what you want to know and anyone who criticizes you for it is acting shameful. Someone like me or many others would be happy to answer your question and talk about the Tempts-like me as well. You are also lucky as several greats part of your musical heritage are here reading and posting all the time. Take advantage of it.

Motown4Ever518
09-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I just got back into town today and looked at the posts that I missed during the week. For my traveling this week I did not bring with me or listen to anything Motownish. And that is OK, as I stated earlier, I prefer Motown, but that is not the only thing I listen to. However, while being in the car for an errand this morning, I had on Sirrus Radio, and lo and behold, "I Hear A Symphony" came on and just kind of brightened the day a little. And that is why I really enjoy this site, because I can transmit what this felt like to folks who know the song first, and can kind of appreciate what it is I am trying to express upon hearing the song out of the blue. Like many of you, I must have heard for about 2,000 times and as I write this, I am still smiling.

I really got a big kick out of the younger posters coming on-line. Please continue to stay involved, because the music will live forever, but unfortunately we won't. We are from all parts of the world, all types of backgrounds and we are here because of the passion for this great music.

As far as some of the "stuff", well again I am not a fan of it, and what a certain iconic singer wore on a night 50 years ago admittedly is not something I need to know, but it's all good. Speaking of which, when I lived in NY in the 70's my best friend was consumed with Miss Ross. I on the other hand did not like her. What happened though, was I saw the late 79 concert from Las Vegas on HBO and to my surprise liked the show and watched it everytime it came on. I did not because obsessed, but a few times over the years I did have the pleasure of seeing her perform live and had a blast. Fast forward to now, where my 13 year old daughter who is a singer, will sit down and happily watch the DVD to understand what giving a great show is all about.

Blessings

soulster
09-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Believe it or not, I do not listen to much Motown these days, and really haven't for a decade. Why is that? Burnout. I grew up with the stuff and heard it every day as a kid! But, I collect whatever I need, like the mono singles and comps by most of the major artists on their labels. I do, once a year, listen to the Temptations' "Emperors Of Soul" box. Their music brings back the most memories of all the Motown artists. Or, i'll put on some Jackson 5 or Rick James. Right now, i'm going through a Switch phase. But, there is sooooo much music in my collection that there isn't enough room for just the output of one record company. I've lately been in the mood for some Sam & Dave, having stayed up reading some more about the demise of the great Stax label in the 70s. I never realized just how toxic the 1973 distribution deal with CBS was to the company. It probably would have worked if CBS head Clive Davis hadn't been fired literally right after the deal was signed. My renewed interest was sparked by reading up on Stax artists Big Star, a rock group Al Bell signed. Ah! I digress...

candykamaine
09-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys, and when I have a question I'll be sure to ask you. :)

tomato tom
09-10-2011, 04:14 PM
THATS What I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! discuss. discuss, discuss!! If we all liked the same thing.WHAT A BORING WORLD. Today,while doing such mundane tasks as housework, ironing....urgh! I ENJOYED THE MUSIC of The Marvellettes, Brick, Deodato, Diana Ross, Thelma Houston, Al Green, Coldplay, Mamas & Papas, Laura Lee, Esther Phillips,Pet Shop Boys, Idris Muhammad, Ronnie Laws, Ohio Players, Chris Clark, Yvonne Fair, Undisputed Truth, Phyllis Hyman, Lime, Detroit Emeralds, Millie Jackson,Rare Earth, Gloria Jones, Ashford & Simpson, DJ Quicksilver and countless others..And that was before lunch.
Now afterwards I may put some trance or some jazz funk on again..or get back to those neglected ladies Milira and LA LA..maybe Minnie RIPERTON....i AM BLESSED..I Have all this wonderful music to choose from....ENJOY what these fabulous people have given us forever. I feel Scherrie Payne and One Night only 12" comin on. Well..I love my GOOD Funktastic Fantabulous music. Enyoy ....Paulo XXXX

kenneth
09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
THATS What I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! discuss. discuss, discuss!! If we all liked the same thing.WHAT A BORING WORLD. Today,while doing such mundane tasks as housework, ironing....urgh! I ENJOYED THE MUSIC of The Marvellettes, Brick, Deodato, Diana Ross, Thelma Houston, Al Green, Coldplay, Mamas & Papas, Laura Lee, Esther Phillips,Pet Shop Boys, Idris Muhammad, Ronnie Laws, Ohio Players, Chris Clark, Yvonne Fair, Undisputed Truth, Phyllis Hyman, Lime, Detroit Emeralds, Millie Jackson,Rare Earth, Gloria Jones, Ashford & Simpson, DJ Quicksilver and countless others..And that was before lunch.
Now afterwards I may put some trance or some jazz funk on again..or get back to those neglected ladies Milira and LA LA..maybe Minnie RIPERTON....i AM BLESSED..I Have all this wonderful music to choose from....ENJOY what these fabulous people have given us forever. I feel Scherrie Payne and One Night only 12" comin on. Well..I love my GOOD Funktastic Fantabulous music. Enyoy ....Paulo XXXX

Well, you either have a way messier house than I do or you're just a much more fastidious housekeeper [[probably the latter)! Feel free to stop by my place and have at it - I'll spin the tunes!

splanky
09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
This question would have better been adressed on the main forum in my oppinion. Anyway, I remember why I first came here
and it's still why I check in. Like GC and Bootsy used to say: Just gimme the music. Give me that get me off/, turn me on song, gimme the music. Give that baby come back home song, gimme the music. My friends think I have a lot of music but
I have nothing near what some of the folks here have but I do have and enjoy a good variety of music and if I don't own it
I can find most of it on sites like youtube. I've even used the sites to shop. I've only come across maybe 5 or 6 musics I don't like and even within those genres I've met exceptions. I grew up with Motown and I still love it but it's not the only
music I grew up with. I was lucky enough to grow up at a time where parents and their kids listened to a lot of the same music and when people didn't have to be offended, didn't have to pretend they don't hear a song's lyrics. Yea, we had some
risque material [[Can you say Funkadelic?) but nothing even close to what you hear now from Lil Wayne, Jay Z, and 2 Quarters. I own more than a little bit of hip hop but I could go the rest of my life never hearing anything from the genre
post maybe 1996. It's occurred to me in the past few years that some people have agendas other than the music or can
only talk about one artist or view everything as it relates [[even if doesn't at all!) to one artist and that I find a bit...
strange. I really don't care if people don't like all the things I do, just as I don't expect to like everything they do or agree
with everything they say. I don't have time for all the drama. Just give me the music. I'll pick and choose what I want to take with me...
Oh, yea, I didn't mean "give" literally. The panhandlers are a pain in the backside too...

JimBagley
09-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I like most types of music, particularly from the '60s and '70s. I am especially fond of the music from Philadelphia [[Philadelphia International and other local labels), Motown, Stax, and Chess. I joined this site to get others' thoughts on music from this period [[I am always interested in finding out the artists and recordings that people are into). As a result of this board, I have become friends with a handful of people that I talk with regularly or semi-regularly about music and life. For that, I am extremely grateful.

Jim

tomato tom
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
kenneth..as Rufus and the fab Chaka said Stop On By..anytime..ha ha

kenneth
09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
kenneth..as Rufus and the fab Chaka said Stop On By..anytime..ha ha

Thanks! But I want you to "stop on by" over here!

tomato tom
09-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I would Kenneth, but, I am just so upset watching now on T.V. News, Islamic funamendalists burn the U.S. flag in London during one minutes silence for the victims of 9/11. I am so disgusted by this act of disrespect, I cannot find the words. Paulo xxx

kenneth
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Paulo,

There will always be crazy extremists in this world, but much of the coverage of 9/11 focuses on hope for the future. Have you seen the "9/11 babies" with Diane Sawyer? Apparently, she has a reunion every year with children whose parents [[mostly fathers) who died on 9/11, many who were babies or not even yet born at the time. It is extremely moving to hear these children articulate how they feel. Although sad, certainly, it is not depressing.

Look up, don't look down.

tomato tom
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
sure, I understand, thanks

paladin
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Very interesting thread, some of these very topics have been on my mind for some time. Someone posted about the limited amount of topics for discussion here on the forum [[ various, groups other than Motown etc) and that is where I beg to differ, having been around for a long time, I know that we have discussed at some point anybody and everybody from the immensely popular to the relatively unknown. Including those great groups out of Chicago. The comment about Diana Ross's panty color had me rolling. But in my opinion the most significant post was by Candykamaine and Satipe, who I last championed in a very torrid thread, but my response was geared toward people like Candy and Satipe's kids, who look to us for leadership, opinions and a fundamental/educational view of what has gone before to enhance their understanding of the music and culture.

I remember chastising members of this forum for failing to live up to that expectation and even then I was accused of running the forum and was asked if I contributed money. Well all things considered, this is still a great place for the young and old to discuss and debate music, and if some of us like to discuss Diana Ross's panties, then so be it. I posted many threads that seemingly died upon delivery, but thats the nature of the forum. I see Doc Temptation is back after a long hiatus, so we'll probably see a bit more info on the Tempts. [[ who by the way I absolutely adore) such is life on the forum folks....post up.......!!!!

Kdubya

soulster
09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I would Kenneth, but, I am just so upset watching now on T.V. News, Islamic funamendalists burn the U.S. flag in London during one minutes silence for the victims of 9/11. I am so disgusted by this act of disrespect, I cannot find the words. Paulo xxx

At least it didn't disrupt anything in the U.S.. Our media didn't report any of it as it happened. I'm just finding out about it now, actually. But, what does it matter? We already know they disrespect us, so it's not even news. We had wonderful events all over the country, and it was a beautiful day.

arrr&bee
09-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Why are we here???...we who? I was passed out under the golden oldies tree[ i thought i was having a hooch hullucination]when i was awakened by the palace guards who took me to the palace of king ralph who saw that i was just a harmless minstrel and let me stay,and i've been sleeping under the golden oldies tree and drinking hooch ever since...long live king ralph!!!

ralpht
09-15-2011, 09:33 AM
It's good to be king.............

Sotosound
09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
As the original poster observed

"...the truth of the matter is, if we say that I know 1,000 people who are in my age group, I am not sure that I could list a single person who knows about, cares about, or even gives a second thought to the music of the classic period..."

This was probably the situation for all of us before the internet arrived. Now we have forums such as this. They're wonderful but far too easy to take for granted.

So, whatever our likes and dislikes, and whatever we feel about other members, let's make sure that we look after this forum since the alternative is to step back 20 years and to have no-one to talk to about something we all love.

Motown4Ever518
09-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Sotosound, Amen, and "I second that emotion", if I ever have to give a speech, I would like you to write it. You captured what I was trying to say very well, without my ramblings.

Sotosound
09-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Sotosound, Amen, and "I second that emotion", if I ever have to give a speech, I would like you to write it. You captured what I was trying to say very well, without my ramblings.

Actually, you're original post not only told us about yourself; it also stimulated an excellent and wide-ranging discussion of the forum. We also got to learn about other members. More of the same please.

JimBagley
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I like most types of music, particularly from the '60s and '70s. I am especially fond of the music from Philadelphia [[Philadelphia International and other local labels), Motown, Stax, and Chess. I joined this site to get others' thoughts on music from this period [[I am always interested in finding out the artists and recordings that people are into). As a result of this board, I have become friends with a handful of people that I talk with regularly or semi-regularly about music and life. For that, I am extremely grateful.

Jim

I need to add that I'm a devoted collector/listener of Atlantic, Brunswick, and Hot Wax/Invictus as well. Thanks for playing.

R. Mark Desjardins
02-06-2012, 11:02 PM
This thread caught my attention and I'd like to add my thoughts. As a white teenager growing up in Ottawa, Canada in the 60's I was blown away by the Beatles, but soon moved on to R&B, soul and MOTOWN! I got into A press conference as a "teen reporter" for Diana Ross [[minus the Supremes) in Montreal, Quebec, prior to their 6 shows at EXPO '67, and was blown away by her personal attention to a question I asked.

One of my hobbies is to collect obscure Motown family labels, hard core funk and jazz. I seek out Motown staffers who have written their memoirs and review their books. I also do a guest DJ gig from time to time on CITR 101.9 FM, here in Vancouver, B.C. which is the University of B.C. station. I recently did a show focusing on the song writing of Marilyn McLeod [[sister of Alice McLoed, who married John Coltrane.) Some readers may recognize Marilyn as being the co-writer of Diana Ross' "Love Hangover" as well as many other Motown songs recorded by Marvin Gaye, Jr. Walker, Millie Jackson, Anita Baker, etc, etc. An email communication resulted, and she shared many thoughts about her first full CD release, entitled "I Believe In Me," released on her own label.

Motown music has given me an anchor in life, in that it got me interested in writing music and concert reviews, which were published at an early age. Presently, I'm working on a non musical biography, but a future project will involve celebrating the behind the scenes people who played a role in the Motown saga, and have a particularly unique glimpse to offer into the inner workings of the magic Motown factory. An unsung hero I've been lucky to communicate with is Frances [[Fran Heard) Maclin, whose book, "I Remember Motown," recalls her 25 year tenure as Motown's Tape Library Director.

robbert
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I was just about to say to two "s"'s here, get a life, but it seems to have calmed down already.
Is this what I am on this forum for? Hell, no.

robbert
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Sorry folks, ignore my above blurp. I just had to let it go.

I just finished a lenghtly novel on an other tread [[about Motown picture 45 sleeves), so that'll have to do for today, it's bedtime in Holland. Far over time, I see... But be sure I will try and write my distinct recollections here of why and when I started to raise an interest in the Motown Sound [[rather than idolize certain singers). How I came to work at the Tamla-Motown office in Holland and so on... it really has all happened in an other life. It must have.

Sugarchilehoneybaby
02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Yes, I have learned that even opinions I assume are fairly universal...are not. My biggest comeuppance was when I assumed everyone else hated "No Matter What Sign You Are," just like I do, and then there were scads of folks who said they loved that song! Now that was one thing I thought everyone would agree on, but there you go. As they say, to each his own!

Exactly, hell I know I've admitted numerous occasions in this forum that I'm the one who loves "Girls"! I love the rhythm guitar on it!

R. Mark Desjardins
02-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Robbert;
I am very interested in reading about your experience at the Tamla-Motown office in Holland. I recently found a British Motown 4 CD compilation which featured an entire disk of live performances. I was very surprised to discover two tracks on the CD taken from a live Stevie Wonder album recorded at the Talk Of The Town Club, only released only in England and Holland. I tracked down a Dutch vinyl copy and glad I sought it out. Hopefully you have insights into that recording.

robb_k
02-07-2012, 02:18 AM
I think on the Soulful Detroit blog they do talk about other artists though. Maybe that forum could be expanded [[or renamed?) to be more general in nature. I mean we don't need to have forums for Philly Soul, and Chicago Soul and so on.

Speaking of P-Funk, I found some great live shows online. There's some great forums with tons of live concerts stored, mostly rock but some of other artists. Haven't found any Motown yet. But the P-Funk shows are pretty good. I've really enjoyed their live performances that have been issued over the years since they stopped recording. Some amazing music.

I think it would be great to have a forum that concentrates just on Chicago Soul. Lead me to it! That's what thought Soulful Detroit would be. They should have a Chicago Soul subforum, and one for Detroit, and one for Philadelphia, and one for New York Soul, and one for L.A. Soul. The main SDF could remain a general Soul forum.

candykamaine
02-07-2012, 04:45 AM
^^Memphis/southern soul is another type of subfourm idea.

roger
02-07-2012, 05:55 AM
I think it would be great to have a forum that concentrates just on Chicago Soul. Lead me to it! That's what thought Soulful Detroit would be. They should have a Chicago Soul subforum, and one for Detroit, and one for Philadelphia, and one for New York Soul, and one for L.A. Soul. The main SDF could remain a general Soul forum.

Wouldn't that lead to some confusion with JERRY BUTLER's recordings with Gamble & Huff .. "Moody Woman", "Only The Strong Survive", "Brand New Me", "Cooling Out"[[for PIR) etc. And where would that put the likes of BRENDA HOLLOWAY, would she be "Detroit"[[Motown) or "L.A." not to mention post-Detroit Motown!! THE O'JAYS would be a bit confusing as well, not to mention CHUCK JACKSON, GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS, THE ISLEY BROTHERS .. etc. etc.

In fact the more I think about it the less I think it would work. I suspect that a lot of people here don't really know [[or really care) where something was recorded/produced/conceived and such sub-forums would rapidly fall into disuse. Wasn't there a sub-forum at one time devoted to games/quizzes/fun-threads etc? I seem to recall that in the end it was so disused it just disappeared and people started putting such posts in the clubhouse.

Roger

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2012, 08:00 AM
There are many good and bad reasons for having separate forums. I now go with the "make sure you head up the thread clearly" and that way, posters will know the subject of the thread.

I feel that we also have to consider the moderator in all these suggestions. It's not easy to moderate and SDF is lucky to have had the same moderator since inception. Other sites have come and gone in the meantime. Moderating a single forum is not easy, and I am sure multiple forums makes it more cumbersome than before.

The other point I wish to make is that I find that I click on Motown Forum first and then forget or don't have time to look at the clubhouse or main forum. In the days when there was just one forum, there was more chance I would pick up on stuff that was not necessarily Motown but still of interest to me. Generally, as I get older, I am finding that I want life to be more simple.

soulster
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
There are many good and bad reasons for having separate forums.

This often comes up on another forum I frequent, and It is "mostly" agreed that dividing up the forum will further divide the membership. Those who are only interested in one thing will only go to that one section.

I now go with the "make sure you head up the thread clearly" and that way, posters will know the subject of the thread.

I have been saying this for a very long time, but it looks like people like to make people click on their thread.

The other point I wish to make is that I find that I click on Motown Forum first and then forget or don't have time to look at the clubhouse or main forum. In the days when there was just one forum, there was more chance I would pick up on stuff that was not necessarily Motown but still of interest to me. Generally, as I get older, I am finding that I want life to be more simple.

I always click on "Nwe Posts". That way, I get threads from all the forums at the same time. There, I use the dabbed feature of the browser and click on the threads that interest me.

I don't want things easy as I get older. I want to keep that brain active.

R. Mark Desjardins
02-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Robbert, I look forward to reading about some of your unique experiences while working at the Tamla/Motown office in Holland. I recently discovered a 4 CD British Motown compilation which had an entire disc devoted to Motown live European recordings. I am familiar with the Supremes at the Talk of the Town in London, but had no idea that Stevie Wonder recorded an entire set there. This CD disc had two tracks which led me to discover the vinyl record version that was only available as far as I know in England and Holland. Do you have any background information to offer on rarities like this? Cheers from Canada!

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Soulster. I remember you being one of those who could find your way round this site very quickly....and a lot of people learnt from you. Can you believe, I've never even noticed "new posts". So you've taught me something new yet again. Thank you.

You also have a very valid point about making that brain active. However, I suspect most tend to regard SDF as the way to relax and since I deal with figures all day, when I relax I need it to be simple. Nevertheless, it's change that I find difficult...once I'm up to speed on the workings, I am OK.

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Robbert, I look forward to reading about some of your unique experiences while working at the Tamla/Motown office in Holland. I recently discovered a 4 CD British Motown compilation which had an entire disc devoted to Motown live European recordings. I am familiar with the Supremes at the Talk of the Town in London, but had no idea that Stevie Wonder recorded an entire set there. This CD disc had two tracks which led me to discover the vinyl record version that was only available as far as I know in England and Holland. Do you have any background information to offer on rarities like this? Cheers from Canada!

Eric Clapton played on the Stevie Wonder album "Talk Of The Town". I hope I don't get into trouble for saying this but Mr Clapton asked for a copy of that album a few years ago.

To see what other LIVE abut hard to find albums are available, I would suggest you look at a UK Tamla Motown album listing...particularly the 11100 numbering system and start at 11104. BTW, the Jr Walker live album featuring the Velvelettes [[Soul 705) wasn't issued in the UK but I can tell you that the Velvelettes performed "These Things..." and "Volare" and either "Needle" or "Saying Something". Cal Street remembers it as being the 10th birthday of one of the Gordy siblings and the Gordy family were in attendance. So she was nervous. However, she thinks it was Terry's birthday and it was his desire to see Jr Walker......oh well!