PDA

View Full Version : The Forum Seems Healthy

test

jobeterob
08-31-2011, 01:38 AM
Seems to me like SD is going through a bit of a renaissance or some healthy times; looks like the numbers and postings are up and there are new ideas and good discussions. Also, some absent people have returned.

Nice to see.

uptight
08-31-2011, 02:29 AM
More people finally learned how to communicate with others more effectively on forums -- learned some "netiquette."

daddyacey
08-31-2011, 03:51 AM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?3564-BRAINSTORM-The-group!!!!-Newbies-and-lurkers-take-note

nosey
08-31-2011, 08:04 AM
I treat all forums as if I were in someone's home; respectfully. The real Nosey, don't take tea for the fever!

ladonna
08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Who's gonna tell Jobeterob about that deleted thread he missed during his sabbatical, where folks was comin' for him? ;o)

BobC
08-31-2011, 10:05 AM
I think we should do a thread on the best concert you ever saw per decade.

soulster
08-31-2011, 02:06 PM
The real reasons why this place has been calm are that no one is really posting or talking about hot-button topics, politics, and there are no major bitch-slap parties. And, hostile members are mostly keeping out of each others' way. There have been a couple of isolated incidents that I was involved in that went away.

Talking about concerts gets boring.

ralpht
08-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I try and stay on top of potential problems and trouble makers and deal with it as quickly as possible. At times I get tips from responsible members which I greatly appreciate.

soulster
08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
I gotta be honest about my part in any potential dust-ups.

tamla617
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
jobeterob
it has got quieter.and because the napalm subjects are missing. wading thru' to find interesting threads are a thing of the past,for now anyway!

jobeterob
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
I think the best concert idea is a good idea; not sure I remember a lot of those kinds of threads.

I wonder what I missed in terms of a good scrap; tell me. I sometimes like to scan those threads for a good laugh.

But I appreciate the good behaviour whether it be due to Ralph or due to people making a better effort not to be unduly negative. In addition, some people have had some good new ideas.

soulster
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
What are the napalm subjects?

Doug-Morgan
08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Soulster.....
.....having gotten burned a couple of times in the past, I'd rather we not go there if you don't mind. It's past history I really don't want to revisit.....

BobC
08-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I have no idea what this thread is about.

ralpht
08-31-2011, 06:53 PM
It's just as well BobC. There was a time the forum could be a rather stormy place. Things are much better now.

soulster
08-31-2011, 08:01 PM
I think I missed the worst days, from what i've been told. This was the time period I was not an active member, around 2005?

ralpht
08-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Between 05 and 06 was the worst of it from what I remember. Things really fell apart in July of 06 and the forum fractured.
Not good memories at all.

chestersong
08-31-2011, 11:32 PM
having a break from marv due to the storm has been wonderful! he practically lived on his computer at SDF 24/7 and was always involved in every snarky mess! just think, it took a hurricane! Ha!
what a frickin' breath of fresh air!

Ramone Verona
09-01-2011, 12:36 AM
AMEN!
The key words: "it took a hurricane".

jobeterob
09-01-2011, 03:22 AM
JRob obviously missed something.............but there has been a nice improvement on the Forum. Could the guys that talk to me privately fill me in on what happened??

soulster
09-01-2011, 05:19 AM
JRob obviously missed something.............but there has been a nice improvement on the Forum. Could the guys that talk to me privately fill me in on what happened??'

Me too, just to see how bad it got. I doubt Ralph kept all that stuff in the archives.

robb_k
09-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Aren't politics and religion supposed to be the main controversial topics that spawn heated arguments? Maybe discussing morals might lead to aguments as well. Nothing wrong with logical debate. It's when egos take over, and the comments get personal, that the problems start. Much of it comes from misunderstandings. Better for us to "keep our noses clean", and avoid hurting people's feelings, and losing "Internet friends". As we've said many times, despite having a few flare-ups here, it's generally one of the friendliest forums around. So, I think we members have done a pretty good job.

BobC
09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm just happy to have a place where I can discuss old school music. For the most part, music is really just a matter of taste, anyway--so what's the big deal? For instance, I happen to really like Bruce Springsteen's voice, but to some people, it's like fingernails down a chalk board. Am I going to get mad at someone who doesn't like him? That's crazy.

ralpht
09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Chester,
I REALLY didn't like the crack regarding Marv. Marv has been around here a very long time and is a respectful member. If you have a problem with that then I suggest you leave.

soulster
09-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I notice that people, not just on this site, have a problem with those who are on their computer a lot. I mean, is it anyone's business why someone is online all the time? Why does anyone care?

ladonna
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Chester,
I REALLY didn't like the crack regarding Marv. Marv has been around here a very long time and is a respectful member. If you have a problem with that then I suggest you leave.

Wow! Ralph? This response seems harsh and over the top. If I'm honest, I was thinking the same thing. Please don't leave chestersong; maybe Ralph is just having a bad day.

carlo
09-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Chester,

Thank you Ralph. I agree with you.

ralpht
09-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Ladonna,
I don't think my response was over the top one bit. It is posts like the one I objected to that usually start problems that I don't need. THEN I will have a bad day. Frankly, I'm a bit tired of seeing Marv picked on when he has done absolutely nothing but participate in a responsible way on this forum.

Thank you, Carlo. I appreciate the response.

ladonna
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Ralph, Marv2 jumped all down my throat when I first joined. I was like who is this dude, and what is his problem? I don't know him from Adam. I've also seen him seemingly in daily petty squabbles with other members. Who's at fault, I don't know; however, he jumped in my face without any provocation. Maybe he was having a bad day.

ralpht
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Maybe so, Ladonna. If that was the case I would step in and stop the nonsense. But you have been around here for a good while now, and do you see any credence to justify these stupid attacks I have to deal with from time to time? What I have usually found is the attackers are outside agitators that have come to mess with our forum, so if I go off a little quick, you might understand my reasoning.

ladonna
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't know, Ralph, it was just odd. I finally confronted him and that seemed to end it.

ralpht
09-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Ladonna,
Glad you handled it. In the future if any problems arise with ANY member, I would hope you come to me first.

ladonna
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Thank you; will do!

Roberta75
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm a bit tired of seeing Marv picked on when he has done absolutely nothing but participate in a responsible way on this forum.

Picked on? I respectfully have to disagree with you as I just don't see it that way. Marv can be very confrontational and at times rude and nasty. I can certainly handle him but I wouldn't say he is always respectful and responsible.

Again, this is only my opinion.

Regards,

Roberta

ralpht
09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Tell you what, Roberta. The next time you think you experience this, let me know.

Roberta75
09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Tell you what, Roberta. The next time you think you experience this, let me know.

I prefer to handle it on my own without tittle tattling or bothering you Ralph but I appreciate the offer.

Best to you.

Roberta

ralpht
09-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Just as long as you don't handle it on the forum, Roberta.

soulster
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Trust me Ralph, i'm not an outside agitator! I often don't feel part of the forum because I don't have much in common with most people here except for the love of R&B music, and even then, i'm usually at odds with most.

The two people who blew up at me without provocation, I might add, are on my ignore list, and I am probably on a few people's ignore list too. Just as long as people stay out of each others' way. It's too bad, though, because one of those posters is usually on target with their political opinions.

ralpht
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Soulster,
You're cool, dude. That I know. And you're handling things correctly.

tamla617
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
soulster
anything to do with mary wilson v diana ross v flo or 1st supps v any other supps and that tony geezer who wrote a few books.

its all napalm,blue touch paper and retire stuff.

you know soulster

BobC
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
This thread is no longer healthy.
That was a joke.
Never mind.

ralpht
09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
It's like playing with nitro, Tamla.

ladonna
09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
This thread is no longer healthy.
That was a joke.
Never mind.

LOLOLOLOL! Good point, BobC!! ;o)

jobeterob
09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry the thread got unhealthy. But it is true that the Forum has more participating members recently, some new ideas and some good discussions.

Soulster made an excellent point and that was about the ignore button. One long time member here wrote to me about it and suggested I try it. And I did quite a while back.........and it is superb. And I hardly have anyone on it but it is wonderful. If you want to see a particular post, you can still choose to do so. If you want to remove someone from your ignore list, you simply hit a button and do so. But as I was told, it is an excellent feature.

Seeing things from a different point of view, would anyone want to be the guy or gal publicly named again and again as a pain in the butt or some such thing? Probably not. Your feelings get hurt and you probably act out even more.

It's Lowell's forum moderated by Ralph. We stay here at their pleasure and at our pleasure. And it has improved.

soulster
09-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Lowell! Where are those alternate forum colors?

marv2
09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
having a break from marv due to the storm has been wonderful! he practically lived on his computer at SDF 24/7 and was always involved in every snarky mess! just think, it took a hurricane! Ha!
what a frickin' breath of fresh air!

A break from me? I don't even know you and appreciate you leaving me out of the petty talk.

Ramone Verona
09-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Lol! .................

marv2
09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ramone Verona LOL!

Don't feel sorry for me. I am doing fine. I don't like you using my full name since I do not know you. So cut it out.

marv2
09-02-2011, 06:21 PM
soulster
anything to do with mary wilson v diana ross v flo or 1st supps v any other supps and that tony geezer who wrote a few books.

its all napalm,blue touch paper and retire stuff.

you know soulster

Exactly Tamla! LOL!!!!

robb_k
09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Who was that person who said "Why can't we all get along?" Let's be nice, Folks! Remember the Golden Rule!

daddyacey
09-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Who was that person who said "Why can't we all get along?" Let's be nice, Folks! Remember the Golden Rule!

That was Rodney King , robb_k ------------------

Cause in any setting where there are more than 2 indivduals there will be one or some that craves attention by any means. That is that persons issue and attention is what they crave because they have esteem issues. We all have issues of esteem in one degree or another and I have no problem in letting one be as much of an ..... as they want to be but yet at the same time respecting the opinions of compititive individuals at the same time. I let any a..hole be as big as they want to be cause I respect the fact they act as an a..hole ,and that's what they want to be. But to repect an a..hole as an a..hole and not give them attention in the form of feedback , is frustrating to them ,or at least ,satisfying to me , hence , checkmate!!! But you know this ...deep down....wink wink.

robb_k
09-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Yeah, I know all that. We do a pretty good job here, on the whole, of leaving our egos at the door and being respectful to one another [[at least in comparison to all the other forums I've been frequenting. There will always be some of that stuff. But I'm very happy with this forum. We've got a good reputation, too. I've heard others talk about this place on a Doo Wop forum and a couple of Soul Forums, saying that we've got a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here that will answer any of their questions. That makes me feel good.

ralpht
09-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Makes me feel good also, Robb. Considering the high numbers regarding membership, I think we all do quite well trying to get along with one another. It's nice to know other music forums recognize this fact.

jobeterob
09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
What does it take to be an "active member"? Do you have to post in the last 30 days or something like that? I notice that number hovers around 250 but has been up recently which is part of what provoked my posting.

ralpht
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Beats me, Robb.

jobeterob
09-07-2011, 01:39 AM
LOL, it's some automatic thing.............the way it was programmed when the Forum was set up!

soulster
09-07-2011, 06:02 PM
An "active" member" is simply anyone who posts. There are people who become members but never post. They either just signed up and never came back, or just lurk.

jobeterob
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
So, soulster........if you and i stop posting, when would the number of active members drop by 1.....or 2?

ralpht
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Soulster makes a good point. Daily I approve several people for membership, but I'm never quite sure if most of them post.

paladin
09-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Interesting thread, the only thing I'll add is that "The Devil made me do it ".......