PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Hurricane Irene

test

jillfoster
08-25-2011, 10:13 PM
For those who are on the east coast, what are your plans? I've been watching the weather channel this evening, and they are talking about a possible evacuation of 3 million in the New York metro. They are saying there's a possiblity of the subway system being flooded and shut down for several days, among other things.

marv2
08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
It starting look pretty serious. I don't know what to exactly expect, but I just watched Hurricane Guru, Max Mayfield on CNN and he did not bite his words. He said that this one is going to do significant damage to the New York City area.

jillfoster
08-25-2011, 10:32 PM
They are saying the same thing on the weather channel. Battery Park, Coney Island, and Long Island are under the gun the most.

marv2
08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
They are saying the same thing on the weather channel. Battery Park, Coney Island, and Long Island are under the gun the most.

The big problem is that Long Island really can't be evacuated .

ms_m
08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Make a hurricane kit for under $20
Getting the most bang for your buck
Updated: Wednesday, 24 Aug 2011, 9:36 PM EDT

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. [[WAVY) - North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue urges residents to get ready for Irene and get a hurricane kit together.

People in Hampton Roads are doing the same. 10 On Your Side went out to a local dollar store to see if it was possible to make a basic hurricane kit for less than $20.

Judea Johnson is an employee in the store and says a lot of people had the same idea.

"They're like 'do y'all have any water we can buy and I say 'yes a gallon for a dollar'," said Johnson.
The Virginia Department Of Emergency Management says to stock kits with radios, flashlights and don't forget those batteries. But you may have to shop around for those batteries.

"All the batteries that go to the big flashlights. We don't have anymore. We sold out," added Johnson.
And remember to use what you already have, like toothbrushes and other personal items.

You can also buy airtight freezer bags to store important documents, cell phones and laptops.

And the grand total - $18.20.

There are even cheaper solutions for big ticket items, like generators.
At a hardware store 10 On Your Side went to we found a generator that can run off your car battery.

"It's not going to give you enough to run your refrigerator, but it could run radio stations so you could keep up with it and hear it even if you have no power," said a store employee.

At $200 it's also more affordable than higher power generators, which cost $600.
But the cheapest option of them all, a $15 flashlight with five lighting features.

For ideas on what should be included in your hurricane kit
click here .

http://www.wavy.com/generic/weather/hurricane/2011-hurricane-shopping-list

After all this, you bunker down and wait it out. If you are so incline, you pray.

Be safe but don't panic.

jillfoster
08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Marv, why can't long island be evacuated? I know it would take time....

marv2
08-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Marv, why can't long island be evacuated? I know it would take time....

Well one reason we had the Shoreham Nuclear Power built but never commissioned is because there is no formal evacuation plan for Long Island. There are approximately 3.2 million people that live on the Island and about 1.8 million cars on the roads weekly. The LIE [[Long Island Expressway) which is our main expressway here and the two parkways , Southern State and Northern State Pkwy. The parkways were built by Robert Moses back in the 1940's when population out here was barely 500,000. During a routine snow or rain storm or even 3 decent accidents on any given morning or evening during rush hour, the whole place begins to slow to a crawl.

We just don't have the roads that can accommodate the number of vehicles that would try to exit the Island during an emergency. I remember during Thanksgiving 1995 I tried to drive to Michigan from here and it took 3.5 hours just to go the 50 miles over to New Jersey! The traffic was just that bad. During an emergency, forgettaboutit!!!!

To help you visualize the geographical layout of Long Island; it is approx 118 miles from the furthest point East [[Montauk) to the Queens Midtown Tunnel to Manhattan and approx 23 miles from the south shore to the north shore in the widest part of the Island!

tamla617
08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
when i was last there[[2005) i saw some signs,[[something like) evacuation route "a" and "b" etc.my cousin explained that it was for that very reason.but this was only in the hamptons [[east end of long island) although i didnt see any in the north or south forks.

west of remsenburg they were left to their own devices.
talking of the hamptons,dune road has gaps where houses once were but got washed out to sea in the last big one.
in the 20's/30'sthere was a massive storm and because it is/was a rich mans summer playground,the houses were mostly empty except for household staff,butlers,maids etc.these houses were almost all totaled and there was alot of dead maids and butlers washed up on the spit on shinnecock bay and a mountain of broken timbers

i just emailed my cousins,there are about 20,to keep their collective heads down!

dianesfan_1965
08-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Stocking up on vodka and ice in Cape Cod.

ms_m
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has just ordered a mandatory evacuation of low-lying areas by 5 p.m. Saturday. Do you live in a hurricane evacuation zone? Here's the city's map. Click the image to enlarge.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/nyc-hurricane-evac-map.jpg [[http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf)

dianesfan_1965
08-26-2011, 03:18 PM
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has just ordered a mandatory evacuation of low-lying areas by 5 p.m. Saturday. Do you live in a hurricane evacuation zone? Here's the city's map. Click the image to enlarge.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/nyc-hurricane-evac-map.jpg [[http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf)

Great work for Bloomie and folks. We are chilling here on The Cape. Right now a lot of the tourist have high tailed it out. Sucks for our businesses, but Monday everyone will be back hungry, thirsty and read to shop.

ms_m
08-26-2011, 03:28 PM
diansfan, because of the area I live in I'm familiar with hurricanes and they are no joke. Even though I'm inland, the winds can still reach up to 50 miles an hour or more and there is always the chance of flooding.

I would encourage everyone in the path of Irene to take this very seriously. Even if it turns out to be less than predicted, better safe than sorry.

marv2
08-26-2011, 03:44 PM
when i was last there[[2005) i saw some signs,[[something like) evacuation route "a" and "b" etc.my cousin explained that it was for that very reason.but this was only in the hamptons [[east end of long island) although i didnt see any in the north or south forks.

west of remsenburg they were left to their own devices.
talking of the hamptons,dune road has gaps where houses once were but got washed out to sea in the last big one.
in the 20's/30'sthere was a massive storm and because it is/was a rich mans summer playground,the houses were mostly empty except for household staff,butlers,maids etc.these houses were almost all totaled and there was alot of dead maids and butlers washed up on the spit on shinnecock bay and a mountain of broken timbers

i just emailed my cousins,there are about 20,to keep their collective heads down!

Dune Road? The road of the STARS is treacherous!

marv2
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Stocking up on vodka and ice in Cape Cod.

I'm going to get mine tonight! LOL!

marv2
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Look! I live in reality! LOL! They have already evaculated lower Manhattan of close to 3million that have NO cars and no where for the most part to go! They are asking people to go to higher elevations such as higher rised buildings further uptown. Now, how many do you think are going to get let in being that they are strangers......in NYC!

I am on Long Island and they are not saying much about what we are to do. They are giving out the same tired info that they always give and that being that the utility company has ordered 2,000 employees to work over in case of an emergency which means nothing to most people.

dianesfan_1965
08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
diansfan, because of the area I live in I'm familiar with hurricanes and they are no joke. Even though I'm inland, the winds can still reach up to 50 miles an hour or more and there is always the chance of flooding.

I would encourage everyone in the path of Irene to take this very seriously. Even if it turns out to be less than predicted, better safe than sorry.

I'm used to them too, I just don't let freak me out. I lived in FL for several years and saw a butt load of 'em.

ms_m
08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Marv, even if you can't evacuate you can still take precautions. Reality is not ignoring warnings it's doing the best you can with the circumstances you're presented with.

Look, I've been through too many of these things NOT to take it seriously so I'm just putting it out there. What people do or don't do....their choice.

Stay safe though.

tomato tom
08-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Put On The Originals Goodnight Irene, quart of Vodka or you fav libation, and dance, dance, dance....Paulo xxx

dianesfan_1965
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Put On The Originals Goodnight Irene, quart of Vodka or you fav libation, and dance, dance, dance....Paulo xxx

I like your style Paulo.

tomato tom
08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
A little wind...a little rain..something you cannot tame.
Just put on the old classics..and dance the night away....pref away from the danger zone of course....Paulo xxx

ms_m
08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Paulo, people in my area are still trying to recover from the tornado that came through here a few months back. More damage from winds and flooding are very high priorities.

Property and material things can be replaced, lives cannot and more than 65 millions lives are in the path of this storm.

Obviously no one can tame mother nature but you can be sensible and level headed when dealing with her. Even then there are not any guarantees but chances of a more positive outcome diminish when ignoring potential problems.

Panic and drama are not the answer but neither is down playing the danger.

marv2
08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Marv, even if you can't evacuate you can still take precautions. Reality is not ignoring warnings it's doing the best you can with the circumstances you're presented with.

Look, I've been through too many of these things NOT to take it seriously so I'm just putting it out there. What people do or don't do....their choice.

Stay safe though.

I hear you Ms M, after surviving two deadly tornados as a child, I know to take this kind of thing seriously. Thanks.

ms_m
08-26-2011, 05:05 PM
You're welcome Marv. People shouldn't panic but taking precautions as well as taking the danger seriously can save lives.

I have my 91 year old mother to think about and that's a responsibility I take very seriously.There will be plenty time to party after this has passed. Trust me, as soon as it''s over I'll be the first one to grab a martini.:)

Rain and tropical storm-force winds of at least 39 mph [[63 kph) already were pelting the Carolinas as Irene trudged north, snapping power lines and flooding streets. Officials warned of dangerous rip currents as Irene roiled the surf. Thousands already were without power. In Charleston, S.C., several people had to be rescued after a tree fell on their car, trapping them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/26/hurricane-irene-us_n_937659.html

marv2
08-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Here is coverage of the first major tornado I survived. It was Palm Sunday 1965. About 45 died. I remember our basement being turned into a swimming pool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFkNxI_mv9w

tamla617
08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
i just spoke to my cousin in west hampton,long island and they're moving all the lose stuff in the garden,got their bags packed and waiting to see if there is an evacuation ordered for their area.then they're going to holtsville or smithtown where the other cousins live.
the weather at the moment is so nice sunny with a light breeze,they said it was hard to believe whats just 'round the corner heading for them.
their house is only 6 foot ish off sea level with a 9 foot?swell expected,they should be moving west now. imo.

tamla617
08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
i forgot to say take care you people in the path of irene,get somewhere safe and keep your heads down.

that goes for you too marv!

marv2
08-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks Tamla!

jillfoster
08-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Well, Marv.... do you live somewhere that's prone to flooding? I think that's going to be the biggest deal with this. I know many people don't have cars... but if a person needs to get out, you don't have a car....try to lay your hands on bicycle or something. You'd be suprised how far you can ride a bike with 24 hours warning. I just heard that they are going to do an emergency reversal [[they call it contraflow) of highway 72 in New Jersey starting at 6 PM tonight, all east bound lanes of the freeway will be turned around, and all lanes will go west. Let's not forget that hurricanes can spawn tornadoes within them.

dianesfan_1965
08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Well, Marv.... do you live somewhere that's prone to flooding? I think that's going to be the biggest deal with this. I know many people don't have cars... but if a person needs to get out, you don't have a car....try to lay your hands on bicycle or something. You'd be suprised how far you can ride a bike with 24 hours warning. I just heard that they are going to do an emergency reversal [[they call it contraflow) of highway 72 in New Jersey starting at 6 PM tonight, all east bound lanes of the freeway will be turned around, and all lanes will go west. Let's not forget that hurricanes can spawn tornadoes within them.

Well hon, if Mr. Marv lives on LI I'm sure he has wheels. What's scary as Marv said is these people that live in the city. Most peeps don't have cars. Don't blame 'em.

dianesfan_1965
08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I hear you Ms M, after surviving two deadly tornados as a child, I know to take this kind of thing seriously. Thanks.

Well you know the shit. Can you get your ass out off LI today? Might be a good thing. I've got friends down Cape that said if I need to get out of town to come down. But looks like we've got things under control here. Evac centers are set up in town and we're holding tight.

tamla617
08-26-2011, 07:01 PM
jillfoster
the formation of hurricanes/ typhoons [[the same except for direction of rotation) and tornados are different and i'm not sure the 2 can live together at the same time.a 100+mph wind with a updrafts and still enough to allow another kind of updraft spinning at up to 300mph with 2 vastly different levels of condensation and evaporation inside the 2 storms?
i hope not anyway!

ms_m
08-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Worry More About Irene's Water Than Storm's Wind

SETH BORENSTEIN AP Science Writer
WASHINGTON August 27, 2011

Forget the wind and fury. Hurricane Irene's most worrisome weapon is water.
There's just way too much of it: storm surge pushing seawater ashore and heavy rainfall causing flooding. That's not unusual with hurricanes, but with Irene there are a couple of added factors that are making meteorologists nervous.

This massive, slow-moving hurricane is forecast to soak an already drenched Northeast and may come ashore at a time when tides are unusually high, making storm surge even worse — 4 to 11 feet with waves on top, forecasters say.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=14390556

Jillfoster I agree the water is probably the biggest threat but it’s already snapping power lines and bringing down trees on the Carolina coast and rain here has already started. The full brunt hasn’t even arrived yet.

I also think people have a misunderstanding about these types of storms. They hear a hurricane has been downgraded and they think all is well but the problem with Irene is her size.

A Cat 1 stirring around in the ocean that covers 10 miles from center to edge is not half as deadly as one that covers more than 100 miles. The closer to shore and larger the size from center to edge, the more people and property will be affected.

I was listening to a meteorologist earlier and he also said each shore line, as the storm moves up the coast will react differently, so that’s also a worry…..especially when it comes to flooding.

Bottom line, people need to take precaution. If it turns out to be less than anticipated with minimal damage and no loss of life, folks can joke and have a good laugh. But hurricane models are getting better and better these days. I'd rather people be prepared now and laugh later, than not be prepared at all.

jillfoster
08-26-2011, 07:31 PM
jillfoster
the formation of hurricanes/ typhoons [[the same except for direction of rotation) and tornados are different and i'm not sure the 2 can live together at the same time.a 100+mph wind with a updrafts and still enough to allow another kind of updraft spinning at up to 300mph with 2 vastly different levels of condensation and evaporation inside the 2 storms?
i hope not anyway!

You know, and that sounds perfectly reasonable, but it's not true. I never would have thought you'd have the two together, either... but apparently so. What was wild is that hurricane Beuhlah back in 1967 had 141 tornadoes in it!
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/tornadoes.shtml

It says that the right front quadrant is the area most likely to produce them, so in the case of Irene, probably the cape is gonna be the only area to get the right front quadrant.

jillfoster
08-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Worry More About Irene's Water Than Storm's Wind

SETH BORENSTEIN AP Science Writer
WASHINGTON August 27, 2011

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=14390556

Jillfoster I agree the water is probably the biggest threat but it’s already snapping power lines and bringing down trees on the Carolina coast and rain here has already started. The full brunt hasn’t even arrived yet.

I also think people have a misunderstanding about these types of storms. They hear a hurricane has been downgraded and they think all is well but the problem with Irene is her size.

A Cat 1 stirring around in the ocean that covers 10 miles from center to edge is not half as deadly as one that covers more than 100 miles. The closer to shore and larger the size from center to edge, the more people and property will be affected.

I was listening to a meteorologist earlier and he also said each shore line, as the storm moves up the coast will react differently, so that’s also a worry…..especially when it comes to flooding.

Bottom line, people need to take precaution. If it turns out to be less than anticipated with minimal damage and no lost of life, folks can joke and have a good laugh. But hurricane models are getting better and better these days. I'd rather people be prepared now and laugh later, than not be prepared at all.

your'e absolutely right about each shoreline reacting differently. I heard them speaking about high tide, and that being a huge factor. If the hurricane hits your area at high tide, then the storm surge is a much bigger deal that it otherwise would be. and massive flooding, of course, a large hurricane like Irene can drop 15-20 inches of rain certain areas, and there are many areas in Virginia, Maryland and Delaware that already had rain the last couple days, and already have saturated ground.

ms_m
08-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Yep. If it wasn't for the size, I wouldn't be as concerned but this chica is huge!

ms_m
08-26-2011, 08:09 PM
When looking at this pic, people should keep in mind the higher up you are the smaller things look below. This was taken a couple hundred miles above Irene. Last hurricane this large was Katrina.

I can't stress this enough. If you can evacuate do so and if you can't don't take this lightly. Figure out a plan that will keep you and your love ones as safe as possible. Even if Irene's intensity weakens, her size will cause problems.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/untitled-7.jpg

marv2
08-27-2011, 12:00 AM

Jill oh yeah it definitely floods out here. This is a seaside town that has inlets as close as 1.4 miles from house. I have a car and plan to leave by late morning tomorrow heading West to PA. Hurricanes and Tornados are nothing to play with most definitely. Thanks

marv2
08-27-2011, 12:02 AM
your'e absolutely right about each shoreline reacting differently. I heard them speaking about high tide, and that being a huge factor. If the hurricane hits your area at high tide, then the storm surge is a much bigger deal that it otherwise would be. and massive flooding, of course, a large hurricane like Irene can drop 15-20 inches of rain certain areas, and there are many areas in Virginia, Maryland and Delaware that already had rain the last couple days, and already have saturated ground.

If the city gets 10" of rain with all the water saturation there is presently, we're screwed!

MotownSteve
08-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't know how helpful this is but I do believe it is worth looking at if you are on the East Coast north of DC. http://crisislanding.appspot.com/

splanky
08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm all stocked, have radio,batteries,flashlights,non perishable food if necessary. I"ll see what this b*tch Irene does tonight
and tommorow...

daddyacey
08-27-2011, 10:29 PM
So far here in the Bx/Westchester boarder there's a lot of rain and the wind is starting to pick up. I'm 16 stories up so I have a good view of the trees dancing.

tamla617
08-28-2011, 04:45 AM
jillfoster
looks like you were right.there is now a tornado warning for nyc.one of those "pop up" versions cnn was on about.

take care all of you in the region

ms_m
08-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I know a lot of folks have lost power but I hope everyone is well and staying safe and dry.

smark21
08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Well the storm is over in NYC and while there is some minor flooding and downed trees and power lines, it was not as bad as many feared here.

ms_m
08-28-2011, 03:39 PM
In wake of Irene, flooding fears along Eastern Seaboard
By Carolyn Pesce, USA TODAY

Hurricane Irene was downgraded to a tropical storm Sunday with diminished winds and in some areas little rain, but officials warned the worst is yet to come in many cities where flooding along the Eastern Seaboard has become a major concern

Irene made landfall over New York's Coney Island with winds clocking at 65 mph. It hit New York City at 9 a.m. ET, bringing with it a storm surge that sent 3 1/2feet of water into New York Harbor.
The north tube of the Holland Tunnel, which carries traffic from New York City to New Jersey, was closed because of flooding and reopened late Sunday morning. Rainfall overflowed sewers and seawater lapped at sidewalks at the edges of the city. Water cascaded toward Wall Street, which had been fortified with sandbags.

"I've never seen it like this, and I've lived here 20 years," said Charles Gunkel, a designer whose apartment is in Stuyvesant Town, a sprawling residential complex of brick buildings just east of the shoreline.
The storm that marched up the East Coast pounded the region with torrential rains and fierce winds and has been blamed for at least 14 deaths and power outages involving more than 6 million homes and businesses.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/hurricanes/story/2011-08-28/Tropical-storm-Irene-floods-New-York/50161760/1

This truly was a strange storm. Don’t ever remember one moving this slow before. [[although the speed as since picked up)

Because of the size and the slow speed, more rain and water accumulated than in past hurricanes. It’s why flooding can still be a problem in many areas.

ms_m
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Irene brings heavy rain to New England
[[CBS/AP)

MILFORD, Conn. - Irene was downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm on Sunday morning, but forecasters said it still was packing a powerful enough punch to continue delivering heavy rain to northern New England into Sunday night.

Tropical Storm Irene sent water splashing into the streets of shoreline communities Sunday as it surged across Connecticut, toppling trees and cutting power to 700,000 customers. One person was killed in a fire sparked by downed wires.

The water surged over a sea wall in East Haven, flooding one coastal road with waist-deep water and damaging houses. East Haven Mayor April Capone said authorities were trying to confirm a report that some beach houses had fallen into the water, but she was not aware of any injuries or fatalities.

Some people in East Haven who did not follow warnings to evacuate had to be rescued as the storm surge arrived.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/28/national/main20098455.shtml

Hype or no hype, Mother Nature is no joke!

ms_m
08-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Keeping the car safe from the hurricane?

I really hope this was nothing more than a joke. The sad part, you never know....:confused:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/HOW-NOT-TO-HURRICANE-PROOF-YOUR-CAR.jpg

Roberta75
08-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I know a lot of folks have lost power but I hope everyone is well and staying safe and dry.

May the good Lord keep everyone safe and well.

Roberta

ms_m
08-28-2011, 04:25 PM
NC got in the way….glad we could help. :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/weather/2011/08/28/nr.myers.irene.weakened.cnn&iref=NS1

ms_m
08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Irene slams Long Island
Irene hits Long Island on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2011.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/image.jpg

More pics:
http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/irene-slams-long-island-1.3122841#49

ms_m
08-28-2011, 10:53 PM
CNN- Dislodged houses floating in rivers and lakes. Hundreds of roads closed. Historic covered bridges destroyed.

Southern Vermont was shrouded in misery late Sunday after Hurricane Irene tore through, dumping rain on ground saturated earlier this year by snow and rain.

A woman was swept away in the Deerfield River in Wilmington and was feared dead, Gov. Peter Shumlin sold CNN.

The damage and flooding is so great, officials had no clear idea of the number of casualties.

"I think tomorrow we may find some bad things," said state police Capt. Ray Keefe. "I hope not."

Keefe, who said the flooding was the worst he has seen in 24 years, described scenes of utter devastation. "The storm essentially shut southern Vermont down," he said. "It's terrible."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/28/irene.vermont/
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/Vermont.jpg

stephanie
08-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Miss Irene knocked down 2 trees in my neighborhood and I was without power for only 4 hours that night. She SLAMMED parts of NY and NC. Is Marv OK?

ms_m
08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Stephanie, Marv had said he was leaving the area to stay with friends. Many places are still without power and some may continue to be until the end of the week or longer. Plus, many roads have been destroyed or trees are down.

Hurricane Irene

[[CBS/AP)

NEWFANE, Vt. - Entire towns in Vermont and New York remained cut off by flooding, some communities were still warily watching swollen rivers and millions of people from Virginia to Maine had no electricity on Tuesday, three days after Hurricane Irene slammed into the Eastern Seaboard.
The storm has been blamed for at least 40 deaths in 11 states.

Commuters in New York City and New Jersey got back to their workday routines Tuesday, as most train service resumed.
When Hurricane Irene unleashed its wrath on Newfane, Vt., Martin and Sue Saylor were among the lucky ones. All they lost was the road to their hillside home, and their utilities.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/30/national/main20099197.shtml

A lot of these communities are going to need help. Federal disaster money is being drained. With Cantor and possibly the rest of his gang trying to take this issue hostage while demanding more cuts could leave many out in the cold.

I understand there are internet scams popping up so I would suggest sticking to agencies you know, like the Red Cross and United Way.

marv2
09-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Miss Irene knocked down 2 trees in my neighborhood and I was without power for only 4 hours that night. She SLAMMED parts of NY and NC. Is Marv OK?

I am fine Stephanie and thank you for asking. Here on the South Shore of Eastern Long Island we did not see much damage at all. In my neighborhood there was basically nothing but twigs from trees and leaves blown over the streets thank God!

I went thru Manhattan on Sunday afternoon and people were out walking their dogs, riding bikes and jogging!

marv2
09-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Stephanie, Marv had said he was leaving the area to stay with friends. Many places are still without power and some may continue to be until the end of the week or longer. Plus, many roads have been destroyed or trees are down.

Hurricane Irene

[[CBS/AP)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/30/national/main20099197.shtml

A lot of these communities are going to need help. Federal disaster money is being drained. With Cantor and possibly the rest of his gang trying to take this issue hostage while demanding more cuts could leave many out in the cold.

I understand there are internet scams popping up so I would suggest sticking to agencies you know, like the Red Cross and United Way.

I ended up in Allentown,Pa. Ms. M. It rained hard all the way over and all night until late Sun morning.

ms_m
09-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Glad you're safe Marv. Was there any damage when you returned home?

Penny
09-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Ms. M, have you talked to Bobby Eli lately?

Penny

ms_m
09-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Ms. M, have you talked to Bobby Eli lately?

Penny

No Penny I haven't but if anyone needs to reach me send me a private message.
Thanks.
M

marv2
09-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Glad you're safe Marv. Was there any damage when you returned home?

There was none and we had not even lost power which was amazing. I thank God for that. Those in New Jersey [[as well as Vermont) were not as fortunate. I was expecting to see this big disaster scene upon arriving back on the Island but I did not see anything.

ms_m
09-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Glad to hear Marv but it depends where on LI you live. I saw pics of people having to be rescued because they were trapped in their homes by the water. Good thing you don't live in those areas.:)

You know this but many people may not...Long Island is a pretty big area with lots of towns and cities.

ms_m
09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
BTW Penny, someone just sent me a rather interesting email....I will not repeat it but it did make me decide to respond to your inquiry a little more in depth.

Other than talking to Bobby Eli on SDF, he and I have never met, never had any phone conversations and never exchanged any personal emails....just wanted to throw that out there.....

LOL...geeze, people crack me up....hahahahaha [[not you Penny, just people in general):)

marv2
09-02-2011, 06:12 PM
They showed floating caskets in Vermont yesterday. Why does the media have to go overboard in covering certain stories?

Here they showed a dog covered in mud that was washed up on the beach!

destruction
09-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Power never left us.....but we lost cable and INTERNET access off and on for days after.....

All in all we took Irene's swipe......and made the most of it.....

America's Supermodel Swings Into Action

Strike a Pose

Ironically, the tree was slowed by the cable and phone lines.....and it landed more on my neighbor's house than mine....which kept my fence from collapsing

So far the accessed damage is minimal. Will know more when they move this sucker later this week.

Some people see this and thnk marshmallows.........I'm seeing Brats.

marv2
09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
She is a cutie. That first pic reminded me of ones we took as kids in our backyard right after the 4th of July Tornado in 1969 ripped a huge tree up.