PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & the Supremes / 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969,

test

marybrewster
08-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Set for release September 13 [[digital) and October 25 [[CD):

Diana Ross & the Supremes / 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969, a 3-disc set featuring every A- and B- side from their beginning, when they were known around Motown as the "no-hit Supremes," through their record-breaking triumphs, their 12 No. 1 hits, ending with their extraordinary decade-ending smash "Someday We'll Be Together."

This release is just around the corner, yet I don't see a lot of talk about it. I love the concept, especially adding all of the "no-hit Supremes" singles. You don't see them included quite often. Does anyone know [[maybe I missed it): is this a Hip-O Select release?

longtimefan
08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
If you own "The Complete Motown Singles" collections from Hip-O, you indeed have all of these tracks in beautifully mastered condition. Right?

johnjeb
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
For me to purchase this release it would have to include decent size reproductions [[bigger than the postage-stamp-size reproductions we have gotten in the past) of all the 45 picture sleeves.

marv2
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Set for release September 13 [[digital) and October 25 [[CD):

Diana Ross & the Supremes / 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969, a 3-disc set featuring every A- and B- side from their beginning, when they were known around Motown as the "no-hit Supremes," through their record-breaking triumphs, their 12 No. 1 hits, ending with their extraordinary decade-ending smash "Someday We'll Be Together."

This release is just around the corner, yet I don't see a lot of talk about it. I love the concept, especially adding all of the "no-hit Supremes" singles. You don't see them included quite often. Does anyone know [[maybe I missed it): is this a Hip-O Select release?

I haven't talked about it, because I have all of these recordings already [[most since they came out). A few on other CD packages. How much is it going to cost?

carlo
08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I was told that this release is going to be exciting! It will be much more than just another compilation in a jewel case. This will be a must have for real fans! :)

thommg
08-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Thank goodness we will finally get a fabulous remastered version of Baby Love! [[Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!) I will buy this pretty quickly. I am one who played the b sides as much as the a sides so to have a set that compiles all is terrific to me. Glad to see that something was planned for this momentous occasion. And I'll probably pick up the Temptations set as well.

longtimefan
08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
I, too, am glad that something is planned that clearly honors The Supremes 50th Anniversary. I guess that a collection all of the singles is the most logical option. I am curious about the 'exciting" part. It would have to be the presentation, i.e. jewel case/booklet/notes, etc.

Jimi LaLumia
08-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Beatles fans buy the same tracks in different packages;
and this Supremes fan will be buying this "50th" release..
it's called being a fan..

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2011, 02:10 PM
[

YAWN! What else exciting can they add, a few photos with the heads cut off?

kenneth
08-24-2011, 02:23 PM
[

YAWN! What else exciting can they add, a few photos with the heads cut off?

I have to agree. Only a serious fan would be interested in all the B-sides, and those fans would already have almost everything on prior comps or albums already reissued on CD. Also, from my casual observation there are far less Beatles comps than there are Supremes out there on the market.

jobeterob
08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
There is a lot of the "same old same old" here but I want the B sides together; I'm looking forward to this one.

And pray.........no headless Supremes; that really is a slight, particularly to any that might be regarded as "lesser" Supremes. There were really only 10 and perhaps some others with very tenuous connections; but they are all identifiable and were never headless.

captainjames
08-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Does anyone know where this is being sold and if there is a listing ?

longtimefan
08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Well, Captainjames ... "If" this collection contains only The Supremes' singles [["A" and "B" sides) from 1961-1969, you can see a listing at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_discography

soulster
08-24-2011, 06:40 PM
I want them to do the same for Stevie Wonder.

marybrewster
08-24-2011, 06:44 PM
With that said, that still is a collection of about 60-ish songs, which is one of the biggest "straight" releases we've had in quite some time. "Gold" only had 40 tracks or so, the "Anthologies" have only had about 50 tracks or so.....

BayouMotownMan
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
As usual, the excellent post-Ross recordings are omitted. I will not buy this one

smark21
08-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Will this also be available on itunes? Hopefully, then I'll be able to cherry pick some worthy b sides I don't already have.

Jimi LaLumia
08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
It's called "Diana Ross & The Supremes 50th Anniversary"; what sense would the 70's stuff make being included here?

longtimefan
08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Smark21,

You can probably get them all on iTunes now. I just checked and the earliest ones, Never Again, Who's Loving You, [[He's) Seventeen, You Bring Back Memories, Time Chabges Things and even [[The Man with the) Rock and Roll Banjo Band are already on iTunes. I am certain the rest are there, also.

soulster
08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
As usual, the excellent post-Ross recordings are omitted. I will not buy this one

Well, it's meant to be a singles collection, not a best-of. That also means...MONO!

But, as I already have the excellent 1995 comp and the two hitsville boxes, I don't need this one.

longtimefan
08-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Isn't the 1997 SUPREMES ULTIMATE COLLECTION the actual "singles," too? I realize it doesn't include the B-sides, but my recollection is that this CD [[25 tracks) is only single versions, i.e., not album versions.

I am looking forward to the "packaging" for the 50th Anniversary set.

soulster
08-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Isn't the 1997 SUPREMES ULTIMATE COLLECTION the actual "singles," too?

The mastering is terrible, and it does not include everything.

I am looking forward to the "packaging" for the 50th Anniversary set

Not important to me.

luke
08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Then next year we will be told to hold our breath for the SUPREME SIDES-the reremastered number ones including THEIR B sides with never seen pics of their Scandanavian tour! Due tentatively in 2015 for $250--fans MUST buy this or else no more Supreme releases. So if you want the planned 2017 release of expanded Live at Talk of Town including never before heard version of Diana singing My Man to a mystery man you better shell out and buy this release!!!:) Im ambivalent.

RossHolloway
08-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Then next year we will be told to hold our breath for the SUPREME SIDES-the reremastered number ones including THEIR B sides with never seen pics of their Scandanavian tour! Due tentatively in 2015 for $250--fans MUST buy this or else no more Supreme releases. So if you want the planned 2017 release of expanded Live at Talk of Town including never before heard version of Diana singing My Man to a mystery man you better shell out and buy this release!!!:) Im ambivalent.

Ok, we get it. Move on.

luke
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Relax dude--have some fun.

RossHolloway
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Relax dude--have some fun.

The griping and complaining has just gotten old and tired and really takes away the enjoyment from this site. Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions, but griping and snide remarks have just gotten old.

soulster
08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I thought Luke's post was funny!

Motown_M_1056
08-25-2011, 12:51 PM

I thought Luke's post was funny too and so close to the truth. This is not a Diana Ross & Supremes fanclub, so griping and cynical, snarky comments are allowed and a way of letting off steam when Hip O/Universal dreams up ways to make fans buy Baby Love for the 1000th time. The only fans excited about this release are those who only buy Supremes releases. The Supremes...that's all they buy!

marv2
08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Stop it Luke! LOL!!!!! oh LOL!!! ya killin' me here! hehehehehehe......

marv2
08-25-2011, 01:39 PM

I agree. It was extremely funny. I needed a good laugh in week with so much sad news and now that I have to get prepare for whatever "Hurricane Irene" may bring us. Thanks Luke!

marv2
08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I thought Luke's post was funny too and so close to the truth. This is not a Diana Ross & Supremes fanclub, so griping and cynical, snarky comments are allowed and a way of letting off steam when Hip O/Universal dreams up ways to make fans buy Baby Love for the 1000th time. The only fans excited about this release are those who only buy Supremes releases. The Supremes...that's all they buy!

Maybe they could release "Baby Love" sung backwards to a Hip Hop/ Reggae beat with the steel drums and everything? LOL!

RossHolloway
08-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Well every release isn't for everybody, no need to piss all over the announcement/thread with such snarky, negative comments [[and yes, I know, I'm speaking to a concrete wall). It's old, the jokes are old, the negativity is old and tired. If you don't want to buy this release, no one is holding a gun to your head to do so. Just move on to another thread already, or start a new thread that people might be interested in. No one's interested in the complaining and the same jokes about Baby Love being told and retold and retold. Move on.

Motown_M_1056
08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
[

If you think the suits at Universal aren't laughing at how many times they resell Baby Love, you are kidding yourself. Hip O is a big company, it can take a few shots about it's uninspired CD releases. If more Supremes fans stopped buying this crap, they'd think of something else, maybe something we really wanted. As long as they keep the same tired retreads coming, I'm pissing on them.

RossHolloway
08-25-2011, 03:29 PM
^^Spoken like a true 12 year old.

Motown_M_1056
08-25-2011, 04:39 PM
^^Spoken like a true 12 year old.

Spoken like a true Motown fan who has faithfully supported Motown releases since 1961. If I bought the original vinyl singles, then the LP versions, then the cassettes and the reissued singles and albums in the 1980s, not to mention the CD reissues: [[Anthology, Gold, Ultimate Collection, boxed sets, The Complete Motown Singles, etc.)...how much more am I expected to spend on things I already have?
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's rain.

RossHolloway
08-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Spoken like a true Motown fan who has faithfully supported Motown releases since 1961. If I bought the original vinyl singles, then the LP versions, then the cassettes and the reissued singles and albums in the 1980s, not to mention the CD reissues: [[Anthology, Gold, Ultimate Collection, boxed sets, The Complete Motown Singles, etc.)...how much more am I expected to spend on things I already have?
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's rain.

I don't think Universal expects someone like you to run out and buy every Supreme's Greatest Hit's package that they put out on the market. Believe it or not, there are some people in the world who don't have a cd of the Supremes or the Temptation or the Jackson 5 or who ever. Well this release is for them not for someone who has been collecting for 50 years. How is that such a hard concept to understand and accept? And are you acting as if this is the only Motown relate release in 2011? There have been more than a handful of releases either thru Motown/Universal/HippoSelect or one of the other outlets like Kent/Soul, I know this [[and you should too) because I've bought many of them from The Contours, to Patrice Holloway, to 70's Supremes to Teena Marie and on and on and on. If we all collectively support these new releases then the record companies will keep releasing new music. Having a tantrum over Baby Love gets you no where and never will. Sounds to me like you're peeing on your own leg. Now be a big boy [[or girl), pull your pants up, wash your hands and go listen to some Motown.

Motown_M_1056
08-25-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't think Universal expects someone like you to run out and buy every Supreme's Greatest Hit's package that they put out on the market. Believe it or not, there are some people in the world who don't have a cd of the Supremes or the Temptation or the Jackson 5 or who ever. Well this release is for them not for someone who has been collecting for 50 years. How is that such a hard concept to understand and accept? And are you acting as if this is the only Motown relate release in 2011? There have been more than a handful of releases either thru Motown/Universal/HippoSelect or one of the other outlets like Kent/Soul, I know this [[and you should too) because I've bought many of them from The Contours, to Patrice Holloway, to 70's Supremes to Teena Marie and on and on and on. If we all collectively support these new releases then the record companies will keep releasing new music. Having a tantrum over Baby Love gets you no where and never will. Sounds to me like its not me who's peeing on your leg, sounds to me like you doing it to yourself. Now be a big boy [[or girl), pull your pants up and go listen to some Motown.

Lame excuses. There are people who don't own CDs by Diana Ross & the Supremes and they never will. They don't care. How long have fans been telling themselves if I spend $15.00 for another Supremes hits package for its packaging, Universal will keep releasing new music? i've got one Supremes Where is all of this new music? I've got one Supremes' Lost & Found set, but dozens of hits packages with baby Love on them that I don't even play. I'm gonna keep sniping at releases llike this because the suits at Universal/Hip O read the forum and they know I always keep it real.

stopinthenameoflove
08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't think Universal expects someone like you to run out and buy every Supreme's Greatest Hit's package that they put out on the market. Believe it or not, there are some people in the world who don't have a cd of the Supremes or the Temptation or the Jackson 5 or who ever. Well this release is for them not for someone who has been collecting for 50 years. How is that such a hard concept to understand and accept? And are you acting as if this is the only Motown relate release in 2011? There have been more than a handful of releases either thru Motown/Universal/HippoSelect or one of the other outlets like Kent/Soul, I know this [[and you should too) because I've bought many of them from The Contours, to Patrice Holloway, to 70's Supremes to Teena Marie and on and on and on. If we all collectively support these new releases then the record companies will keep releasing new music. Having a tantrum over Baby Love gets you no where and never will. Sounds to me like you're peeing on your own leg. Now be a big boy [[or girl), pull your pants up, wash your hands and go listen to some Motown.

Hits, Temptations, whoever [[one word), Do not start a sentence with the word "and", related, it has just one 'p'. Pull your pants up, go wash your hands and go listen or even attend some basic grammar classes.

rovereab
08-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Strange - I posted in this thread today about the inclusion of UK Supremes & Temptations single releases but it has gone?

Wonder why?

kenneth
08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Hits, Temptations, whoever [[one word), Do not start a sentence with the word "and", related, it has just one 'p'. Pull your pants up, go wash your hands and go listen or even attend some basic grammar classes.

Is this a joke, or someone just being rude? Do we really care about someone's grammar or spelling on a discussion board? I think it's time this whole thread got flushed. Come on guys.

JohnnyB
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Strange - I posted in this thread today about the inclusion of UK Supremes & Temptations single releases but it has gone?

Wonder why?

I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge your question. I also think including UK singles and/or alternate UK b-sides would be an interesting twist. I am curious about this new collection and hope a bit of creativity will strengthen the package.

marv2
08-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Is this a joke, or someone just being rude? Do we really care about someone's grammar or spelling on a discussion board? I think it's time this whole thread got flushed. Come on guys.

He [[stopinthenameoflove) is being totally rude on purpose. He is still suppose to be reporting me somewhere for something "bile" I said.

kenneth
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
He [[stopinthenameoflove) is being totally rude on purpose. He is still suppose to be reporting me somewhere for something "bile" I said.

It's okay Marv2. I won't tell the Grammar Police I saw you.

uptight
08-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Maybe they could release "Baby Love" sung backwards to a Hip Hop/ Reggae beat with the steel drums and everything? LOL!

I think they did a few years ago! LOL

marv2
08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
It's okay Marv2. I won't tell the Grammar Police I saw you.

Please dont' because I hear they can be tougher than the IRS!

smark21
08-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Wonder why?

Because you posted it in the Supremes/Temptations 50th Anniversary thread, which is different from this one.

rovereab
08-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Thanks smark21 - must be loosing it!

RossHolloway
08-26-2011, 09:24 AM

This is not a creative writing forum or english forum, this is a music forum. My post will not be turned in for a grade or submitted for publication. Do you go thru every threat and make correction to everyone's posts? Get a life troll.

RossHolloway
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Lame excuses. There are people who don't own CDs by Diana Ross & the Supremes and they never will. They don't care. How long have fans been telling themselves if I spend $15.00 for another Supremes hits package for its packaging, Universal will keep releasing new music? i've got one Supremes Where is all of this new music? I've got one Supremes' Lost & Found set, but dozens of hits packages with baby Love on them that I don't even play. I'm gonna keep sniping at releases llike this because the suits at Universal/Hip O read the forum and they know I always keep it real.

I know it is pointless to keep responding to your tirades, but I'll give it another try. Believe it or not, there are some people here in the US and abroad who may still be in the market to buy their first Supremes cd [[or Temptation's cd or Jackson 5 cd...) and that is why Universal will make these releases for these artist. You do not have to buy them if you have no need or want for them. Period. There is no need to throw a tantrum everytime one is released. Universal does this roughly every two years or so. How could you not have noticed? And I don't know if you've noticed this or not but Diana Ross and the Supremes broke up 41 and a half years ago!! They aren't still making new music! Move on man. Universal/Motown has been very good and kind to us Motown/Supreme's fans over the past 25 years with ALL the VARIOUS releases that go WAY beyond the greatest hits packages, so I really just don't understand why you keep beefin on the GHs sets. Let it go. As I stated before those releases aren't meant for a collector/listener like you or me but new fans to the music. Sniping won't change a thing, they won't get new releases out any faster than the music company intends to release them, it only serves to annoy and irritate the other fans on this board. And I'm sure at this point in time the "suits" at Universal/Hippo could give a rats arse about all your complaining and pissin on this board. Just let it go and support the new releases that have come out this year and the ones that are scheduled to come out later this year.

skooldem1
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM
rossholloway- lets get real. The MAIN reason why some are so cranky about this is because its a release by DIANA ROSS and the supremes. I dont recall reading anything negative regarding the 70's boxset that was recently released. Some actually have voiced the fact that they wont buy this because there are no 70's hits on this compilation. HUH???? Thats like me invading a thread about the 70's boxset and say that release is a waste of time, where are all of their classic hits with Diana Ross? They would have run me out of that thread so fast for saying something so dumb. I've noticed over the years the people [[ and there are repeat offenders) who love to put Diana/Supreme fans in a "crazy box". What is really telling is that these same people who criticize ross/sups fans are even crazier with their obssession of all things DIANA. There is no reason why people ALWAYS have to comment on how they aren't interested in her, them, the music but yet they comment all the damn time. At this point is actually kind of funny. The funniest thing I've seen here are the post that always start out with "I'm a really big Diana Ross fans BUT. What is the point??? Then there are some here who have a condensending attitude like you MUST love the WHOLE motown label. It is a crime to just be a fan on one or two artist on that label? I say like what the fvck you like and let everyone else like what they like. I don't understand folks that just like to point out what they don't like all them time. We all have different taste. If I don't have interest in some geeky boring conversion about snares and distortions, and compressions, I would NEVER insult a person that does. But that's just me.

RossHolloway
08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Skooldem1- I agree with your point. While I love Motown, there are some songs and artist that do nothing for me. I've just never felt the need to go piss in a thread where people are talking about these artists or songs. I mean what's the point? It creates too much negativity. One of the things that I use to like about this site was the sharing of information, but lately its turned into too much of a bitchfest [[like this thread for instance). Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but good Lord, nobody wants to have to read thru all the griping and complaining. Or maybe its just a sign that I just need a break from this site.

marybrewster
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm obviously in the minority when I say that I am excited for this release and will be purchasing it. Not because I think buying it will bring other "rare" Supremes releases to light, but because I think it's actually a really cool concept, and when releases are affordable, I like to have them all.

soulster
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Allow me to interrupt this cat-fighting with this thought: perhaps Motown is starting a new singles reissue campaign for all of their major classic Motown artists, and they just happen to be kicking it off with The Supremes.

Now, back to your bitch-fest...

RossHolloway
08-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Just a point of clarification of an earlier point that I wrote; my point was not that the suits want the Motown fan/collector to buy this type of release [[greatest hits), but rather the HippoSelect type releases, the Lost & Found Series or the Expanded Edition of albums. If we fans show an interest in those type projects and BUY them, then that shows the "suits" that there is still an interest in putting those type projects out there. I'm sure they would love for us to all buy the GHs packages [[they are a business after all) but they probably know we already have those songs from prior releases. My point was for us fans to really get behind the other releases, that are really done for us specific Motown fans: the Cellarful series, The Complete Motown Single Series, the Anthology series, or the Expanded Edition of albums. That was the point I was trying to make.

Penny
08-26-2011, 12:11 PM
RossHolloway, you are much too adult and sane for this thread therefore you will be yelled at my someone.

LOLOL.

Penny:D

soulster
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
There is no point in buying something just because it's there. For me, I have to have a reason to buy a comp. I don't buy for the artist, I buy because of the content. I will have to pass on the Supremes set because I already have a nice singles collection of them. Same with The Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas, Jr. Walker & The All-Stars, The Marvellettes, and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and they all sound fantastic.

If they want my business, they will come up with singles packages for The Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder, and they will be mastered well.

Kamasu_Jr
08-26-2011, 01:54 PM
There is no point in buying something just because it's there. For me, I have to have a reason to buy a comp. I don't buy for the artist, I buy because of the content. I will have to pass on the Supremes set because I already have a nice singles collection of them. Same with The Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas, Jr. Walker & The All-Stars, The Marvellettes, and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and they all sound fantastic.

If they want my business, they will come up with singles packages for The Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder, and they will be mastered well.

i AGREE. I DON'T NEED THIS RELEASE.

RossHolloway
08-26-2011, 02:06 PM
i AGREE. I DON'T NEED THIS RELEASE.

This release was not meant for you and soulster.

soulster
08-26-2011, 02:17 PM
This release was not meant for you and soulster.

If I didn't already have a singles collection by the Supremes, i'd buy it. So, it is meant for people like me, just that I don't need it now.

marybrewster
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
The joy is: if you don't want it, don't buy it. And on the other hand, if you want it, buy it.

I have all of these songs a thousand times over, but I'd still like all of the A and B sides in one package, so I'm buying it. Simple as that.

RossHolloway
08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
The joy is: if you don't want it, don't buy it. And on the other hand, if you want it, buy it.

I have all of these songs a thousand times over, but I'd still like all of the A and B sides in one package, so I'm buying it. Simple as that.

Thank You! A voice of sound reason.

carlo
08-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Exactly! Totally agree. I'll be purchasing this package too, even though I have all of those songs many times over. I also like the concept.

There are far too many cranky people on this forum. I can't believe we've come to the point where we're correcting people's spelling and grammar.

soulster
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not cranky. I'm only responding, mainly to RossHolloway, that the fan thing doesn't work with me.

Like Carlo, I have these songs many times over, and I have the mono mixes a couple of ways as well. For some of us, we are collectors, but as an audiophile, the sound quality and mastering is a BIG issue.

The sound quality on the previous 1995 2-CD set is excellent, and contains several popular B-sides. It's all I need. But, I also realize that it's long OOP, and only available if you look around on Amazon, or used. I have been mostly disappointed in the mastering of classic 60s Motown material over the last decade, so I am iffy about getting this new one. Money is tight these days too. I'd have to read the reports from other audiophiles first before deciding. For those of you who either don't have the aforementioned collection, or don't care too much about the sound quality, that's fine too. Some people just have different priorities.

I dig good packaging and liner notes, and having rare or unreleased photographs are fine, but not too important for an audio release. If I ever wanted classic and unreleased photos, I would find a book. I like the Supremes' music, but not to the point of having to own everything they burped.

Putting out singles collections that have not been made available before would be preferable to me.

I hope this clarifies my position.

And, get it through your skulls, people: not everyone who reads and posts on this forum is a Diana Ross & The Supremes fan! This place is for everybody who loves soul music. It is even OK to not like Diana Ross or the Supremes, or Mary Willson.

As for correcting peoples' spelling? I get tempted because I am a former English major. I get mighty frustrated when I see bad spelling and improper grammer. However, it is considered rude forum etiquette to go around correcting, or pointing out someone's bad spelling. Don't you guys use spell-check?

marv2
08-26-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not cranky. I'm only responding, mainly to RossHolloway, that the fan thing doesn't work with me.

Like Carlo, I have these songs many times over, and I have the mono mixes a couple of ways as well. For some of us, we are collectors, but as an audiophile, the sound quality and mastering is a BIG issue.

The sound quality on the previous 1995 2-CD set is excellent, and contains several popular B-sides. It's all I need. But, I also realize that it's long OOP, and only available if you look around on Amazon, or used. I have been mostly disappointed in the mastering of classic 60s Motown material over the last decade, so I am iffy about getting this new one. Money is tight these days' too. I'd have to read the reports from other audiophiles first before deciding. For those of you who either don't have the aforementioned collection, or don't care too much about the sound quality, that's fine too. Some people just have different priorities.

I dig good packaging and liner notes, and having rare or unreleased photographs are fine, but not too important for an audio release. If I ever wanted classic and unreleased photos, I would find a book. I like the Supremes' music, but not to the point of having to own everything they burped.

Putting out singles collections that have not been made available before would be preferable to me.

I hope this clarifies my position.

And, get it through your skulls, people: not everyone who reads and posts on this forum is a Diana Ross & The Supremes fan! This place is for everybody who loves soul music. It is even OK to not like Diana Ross or the Supremes, or Mary Willson.

As for correcting people's spelling? I get tempted because I am a former English major. I get mighty frustrated when I see bad spelling and improper grammer. However, it is considered rude forum etiquette to go around correcting, or pointing out someone's bad spelling. Don't you guys use spell-check?

I believe Carlo was referring to "Stopinthenameoflove" who was correcting Rossholloway needlessly!

soulster
08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I believe Carlo was referring to "Stopinthenameoflove" who was correcting Rossholloway needlessly!

Yes. Still...

soulster
08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
If I don't have interest in some geeky boring conversion about snares and distortions, and compressions, I would NEVER insult a person that does. But that's just me.

Dude, i'm just surprised that some people here do have an interest in sound. That's a lot of what Motown was all about. Motown would never have been what it was without it.

Some of us are old enough to have grown up with Motown music from the first time around in the 60s, so we may like quite a bit of the music we heard back then. I don't like everything the company released, but I do like a lot of the big-hitters.

If I mention that I like the Supremes, but don't get all fanatical about them, I do it to counteract the obnoxious fans on this forum. These fans seem to have no variety in their tastes. It's all Ross, Ros,s Ross, Supremes, Supremes, Supremes,...whatever, and they rarely mention any other artists, well, maybe Mary Wilson or the other Supremes. It got old a long time ago.

I will take it down a notch if the obsessive DR & The Supremes fans take it down a notch. I'm also not a hater. I grew up with the music. After all, I did start a couple of Ross-related threads [[God help me).

And, if I want to start a thread about sound quality or mastering, it's my right to do so. If you don't care about that stuff, fine. I don't care. Man, run off and do your tea-bagger thing with Ron Paul or something.

skooldem1
08-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Must you go there? I've told you time and time again what the deal is. Can we keep it to the music please?

soulster
08-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Must you go there? I've told you time and time again what the deal is. Can we keep it to the music please?

I went there [[politics) because you do all the time. And, you were the one who decided to chew us all out about how you don't like certain things here. Oh, you have made it abundantly clear how you have no interest in "geeky boring" things.

I don't like all the bitch-slapping every time the topic of certain music arises. That's all.

144man
08-26-2011, 06:36 PM
As for correcting peoples' spelling? I get tempted because I am a former English major. I get mighty frustrated when I see bad spelling and improper grammer. However, it is considered rude forum etiquette to go around correcting, or pointing out someone's bad spelling. Don't you guys use spell-check?

I'm glad you raised the issue of spelling and etiquette. As an Englishman posting on an American forum, I never know whether it is permissible for me to use the English spelling when this differs from the American, e.g. "favourable" instead of "favorable".

As far as grammar is concerned, I am quite relaxed. Because we are having a conversation, the rules should be applied less rigourously [or rigorously] than in formal written English. Specifically, I can't get excited about the sentences above that begin with "And". Surely that's just another way of saying "Also" or "Furthermore". And of course in one of the greatest works in the English language, William Blake's "Jerusalem", the whole poem begins with the word "And".

carlo
08-26-2011, 08:47 PM

I'm glad you recognize that it is rude to correct other people's spelling and grammar. Not everyone here is an english major. Not everyone was given the opportunity to obtain some sort of higher education.

soulster
08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm glad you raised the issue of spelling and etiquette. As an Englishman posting on an American forum, I never know whether it is permissible for me to use the English spelling when this differs from the American, e.g. "favourable" instead of "favorable".

As far as grammar is concerned, I am quite relaxed. Because we are having a conversation, the rules should be applied less rigourously [or rigorously] than in formal written English. Specifically, I can't get excited about the sentences above that begin with "And". Surely that's just another way of saying "Also" or "Furthermore". And of course in one of the greatest works in the English language, William Blake's "Jerusalem", the whole poem begins with the word "And".

It's why I usually don't say much about typos, because this is an informal forum, and people do make mistakes. I know I do!

soulster
08-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm glad you recognize that it is rude to correct other people's spelling and grammar. Not everyone here is an english major. Not everyone was given the opportunity to obtain some sort of higher education.

I find that the worst offenders are those who have had higher education and/or are executives.

snakepit
08-27-2011, 06:35 AM
It seems to me that a collection of any artists full 45 history on one compilation makes sense to me. However, if like me , you have them all on other sets, it's a case of how much you want it and at what price. I would buy this set IF I saw it cheap......second hand, or reduced on a web site.
That also applies to things like the new 70's Supremes album CDs..........
However I will buy the IVY JO CD like yesterday...it's all relative...no big deal.
IF however UMG only issue the same songs at the exclusion of other Motown items then we have reached a sad point.
But I don't think we are there quite yet

144man
08-27-2011, 06:49 AM
I find that the worst offenders are those who have had higher education and/or are executives.

That's because they expect their secretaries to correct them!

mysterysinger
08-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, some folks are clearly looking forward to this release - I hope it sells well and that there are more of this type of set on other artists. Personally, I don't think I need it but, if I should see it going cheap enough in HMV or on Amazon then I will probably be too weak to resist.

Penny
08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I will purchase this product and I look forward to it.

Diana Ross should record an tribute album to the 70's Supremes and record their songs. I would buy that one, too.

Penny

thisoldheart
08-31-2011, 05:43 AM
both up for pre-order at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Singles-Collection-1961-71/dp/B005JLN9QM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314783542&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Singles-Collection-1961-69/dp/B005JLN9XU/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314783717&sr=1-2

out october 24, current undiscounted price: $50.23 each ...

lakedistrictlad1
08-31-2011, 06:06 AM
$50.23!!!!!! Are they mad???? What are the discs made of...solid gold?

To put this into perspective. The Matt Monro estate [[yes I know he has nothing to do with Motown) have just issued a 4cd box set for $16.17.
http://www.amazon.com/Singers-Singer-Matt-Monro/dp/B005FMB8W2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314784996&sr=1-1

Now that's what a call value for money!

thisoldheart
08-31-2011, 06:28 AM
they will be reduced before the release date. it always happens. the undiscounted price of the just posted premium version of the beach boys "smile sessions" is currently something like $170! that will change, too. i hope ...

snakepit
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
"To put this into perspective. The Matt Monro estate [[yes I know he has nothing to do with Motown) have just issued a 4cd box set for $16.17."

Does that include his version of "Baby Love" ?

marybrewster
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Wow; I may be eating my words. I didn't anticipate it would be in the $50.00 range. Not when the Supremes "Gold" is in the high teens, low twenties. Maybe I will be sitting this one out afterall, because if given the choice to afford this 50th set or "More Hits", I'll go for "More Hits".

That price needs to come WAYYYYY down. No "casual" fan is even gonna touch it at that dollar amount. In my opinion.

BobC
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM
I know these are all great pop songs, but seriously if I hear "Stop in the Name of Love" one more time I will hurl myself from the nearest skyscraper.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
08-31-2011, 12:15 PM
26 songs are available for preview if you go to the MP3 section. I am assuming those 26 songs are disc 3.

carlo
08-31-2011, 12:24 PM
I am not really surprised to see that price. I'm sure it will come down. From what I was told about these two releases, it seems somewhat reasonable. Hopefully someone from Universal can post here and go into further detail. I don't want to spill the beans. :)

longtimefan
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
There must be something unique about the packaging, but I cannot imagine what it could be. The trend has been toward more minimal packaging, i.e., digipacs, smaller-sized box sets, jewel cases that hold more than one CD, etc. I can undestand becasue that helps keep prices of production and shipping down.

longtimefan
08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Actually, the track listings for all three discs are now posted at Amazon's MP3 section [[available for purchase on September 13).

1. I wonder if that is the actual cover art????

2. Why are there two versions of "Buttered Popcorn," "Your Heart belongs To Me," "No Matter What Sign You Are" and "I'm Living in Shame?"

3. Why is there an "alternate version" of "Love Child?"

honest man
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
hello tried to paste cover from amazon,no luck,but it;s there cheers.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
08-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K0R2RY/ref=sr_1_album_25_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B005K0RYEU&qid=1314819725&sr=1-25

psychedelic jacques
08-31-2011, 04:59 PM
4. Why is "The Way You Do the Things You Do" included as a Supremes single?

- it's with the Temptations - it was the B side to I'll Try Something New.

carlo
08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the link. The cover looks ok, but not fantastic. Why is Mary's lipstick so purple? That pic looks like it was touched up too much by the art department. It looks like she just finished drinking some Welches' Grape Juice.

carlo
08-31-2011, 05:53 PM
The original photo looks much better to me...with no Welches' Grape Juice...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/61512_130317343684448_129796507069865_162405_62414 18_n.jpg

carlo
08-31-2011, 06:08 PM
...But I guess I should be thankful that everyone's heads are shown in full on the cover.

ladonna
08-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes; please stay positive.

johnjeb
08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Release date October 24th!!! Why is everything coming out at once?

I really want "More Hits" and The Marvelettes "Forever More" due out in November so I will just put this collection, and possibly The Temptations collection, on my Christmas list.

I like the addition of the foreign-language releases in this collection. Might be nice having them alongside the US releases. Maybe I'll gift this collection to a few friends and/or loved ones.

Hopefully, the cover might look better than the reproduced image on Amazon. Diana's hair is a bit poofy, always thought that of this picture of her. Florence looks great, as does Mary. They should have used the original picture full-length. Got to love those shoes! Never noticed them before.

Are these the dresses that they wore on Red Skelton when they sang "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody"? I only saw that show in B&W. All pics that I've seen from that performance have been B&W. The pics of them singing "Mother Dear" in the orange paisley dresses from the same show are in color.

longtimefan
08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
This is NOT a complaint ... just a "thought!" LOL

If the picture is DMF .... well, the title should be THE SUPREMES 50th Anniversary. Flo was never a part of "Diana Ross and The Supremes." I guess I am a purist! :-)

Of course, I know that the 70s Supremes are not on this release [[nor should they necessarily be), but like the 2000 Box Set, I would have LOVED to see this new set titled "The Supremes."

NO disrepsect to Diana, in the least!

Jimi LaLumia
08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
everything is coming out at once because it's the holiday season, when people are most likely to splurge on themselves and others...I know that I will!..one of everything..

Ramone Verona
09-01-2011, 12:14 AM

If the picture is DMF .... well, the title should be THE SUPREMES 50th Anniversary. Flo was never a part of "Diana Ross and The Supremes." I guess I am a purist! :-)

Of course, I know that the 70s Supremes are not on this release [[nor should they necessarily be), but like the 2000 Box Set, I would have LOVED to see this new set titled "The Supremes."

Wasn't DRATS "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2" the wonderful album with an insert of Flo, Mary and Diana?
And wasn't most of the REFLECTIONS LP recorded with Flo?

longtimefan
09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Yes, the "Reflections" LP was recorded with Flo, but she was not pictured nor did she perform with that billing. In actuality, they re-designed the cover art work, eliminating her pictures and inserting Cindy's pictures.

That being said, I was merely trying to indicate -- in a positive way -- that although it is a technicality, I would personally love to see this 50th anniversary effort be titled "The Supremes." As part of their legacy, this is an important release. It was just my "thought" -- not a complaint.

Jimi LaLumia
09-01-2011, 02:17 AM
the billing lets everyone knows that these are the Ross-led hits[[and the everyday consumer knows the name Diana Ross just as powerfully as they know The Supremes,if not more so,so there's a 'sales' plus there);
with all the 70's re issues recently , "The Supremes" could mean a lot of things; The Beatles was always The Beatles, but The Supremes...different story[[and I love all versions, but I'm just saying)

rovereab
09-01-2011, 04:32 AM
...But I guess I should be thankful that everyone's heads are shown in full on the cover.

Well in the UK we only got the lips on this album :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Golden_Greats_%28The_Supremes_album%29

Eamonn

RossHolloway
09-01-2011, 09:00 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, there is one picture of Florence and Mary taken outside of a venue with the billing of Diana Ross and The Supremes behind them. If I'm not mistaken it was a small photo in the insert from their Anthology album. Does anyone else remember this pic?

honest man
09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Hello someone further up the thread asked why THE WAY YOU DO ....,Is included it was from TCB,i know it was the b side of I SECOND THAT EMOTION,In the uk.cheers.

carlo
09-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Well in the UK we only got the lips on this album :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Golden_Greats_%28The_Supremes_album%29

Eamonn

lol!!! Hehehehehehe

redlabs
09-03-2011, 09:27 AM
If I'm remembering correctly, there is one picture of Florence and Mary taken outside of a venue with the billing of Diana Ross and The Supremes behind them. If I'm not mistaken it was a small photo in the insert from their Anthology album. Does anyone else remember this pic?

i remember a pix with Mary and Cindy in the Anthology set where they are wearing street clothes and the sign is behind them and it reads DRATS.

stopinthenameoflove
09-03-2011, 07:14 PM
i remember a pix with Mary and Cindy in the Anthology set where they are wearing street clothes and the sign is behind them and it reads DRATS.

I think this is the one you remember? Definitely Cindy, not Florence

johnjeb
09-05-2011, 11:41 AM
How come The Temptations' collection gets a real picture

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Singles-Collection-1961-1971/dp/B005KOMLYE/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315232979&sr=301-1

and The Supremes' collection gets an artsy makeover? First it was 'off with their heads' now it's 'let's make them look like clowns'!

[[I even like The Temptations picture chosen for their upcoming DVD better than the one that was chosen for The Supremes DVD.)

I'm OK with referring to the group as Diana Ross & The Supremes for this collection. It looks good the way it is done with Diana Ross on one line and The Supremes on the next. I always prefer that a capital "T" is used for "The Supremes". I'm OK with either an ampersand or a lower case "and" depending on the graphics.

Of course my preference is always to see just "The Supremes" when it is just for the classic line-up of Diana, Mary and Florence. However, now 41 years since Diana Ross left the group, and with her successful solo career that followed, I feel adding her name whenever possible is a testament to her career and does not detract from the group or any individual who was a part of that group. It also will generate more sales, which is good for all concerned, and keep the name The Supremes in the public eye. [[In recent years, sometimes seeing just the name "The Supremes" on a CD was misleading if you didn't read the fine print!!!)

In the mid-80s when I visited the UK I purchased some reissue vinyl albums and cassette tapes. My collection is packed-away due to my recent move, but if I recall, some of their early albums had the name changed to Diana Ross and The Supremes on those reissues. I had mixed reaction to that at the time.

My UK reissue cassette of More Hits does say The Supremes on the cover. However, all other graphics refer to the group as "Diana Ross & The Supremes". [[I am fairly certain my UK Sam Cooke vinyl reissue says Diana Ross & The Supremes on the cover.)

Interesting thing about the More Hits cassette cover is that they modifed the square LP cover to fit a rectangular cassette cover. The picture of Diana is in the top left quadrant and Florence beneath her at lower left and Mary at lower right. Upper right quadrant is all the text from the vinyl album cover.

Having said all this I hope the upcoming expanded edition is not "More Hits By Diana Ross & The Supremes".

danman869
09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Looking at that pic of The Temptations' new 50th Anniversary CD set, I'd say they got "an artsy makeover," too. Those suits are awfully blue [[as though they'd been tinted in a computer program) and the skin tone on all the guys is identical. The Supremes and their anachronistic plum-colored lipstick aren't the only ones who were "re-imagined" for the cover of their 50th Anniversary set!

Knowing Andy and his track record with the Motown catalog, I'm 99.9% certain that the upcoming expanded edition of "More Hits" will be credited to "The Supremes" and not "DRATS." If the deluxe editions of "Meet The Supremes" and "Where Did Our Love Go" were [[properly) credited as originally released, so will this set. Let's hang in there until November! ;-)

marv2
09-05-2011, 02:34 PM
lol!!! Hehehehehehe

I remember that album from 1977. They made a very big deal about it.

marv2
09-05-2011, 02:35 PM

I remember that too. I believe that was from Expo '67 in Montreal.

marv2
09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I think this is the one you remember? Definitely Cindy, not Florence

That was in Montreal at Expo '67.

stopinthenameoflove
09-05-2011, 05:46 PM
That was in Montreal at Expo '67.

Thanks for the info marv2

marv2
09-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info marv2

You are welcome.

ladonna
09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
How come The Temptations' collection gets a real picture

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Singles-Collection-1961-1971/dp/B005KOMLYE/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315232979&sr=301-1

and The Supremes' collection gets an artsy makeover? First it was 'off with their heads' now it's 'let's make them look like clowns'!

[[I even like The Temptations picture chosen for their upcoming DVD better than the one that was chosen for The Supremes DVD.)

I'm OK with referring to the group as Diana Ross & The Supremes for this collection. It looks good the way it is done with Diana Ross on one line and The Supremes on the next. I always prefer that a capital "T" is used for "The Supremes". I'm OK with either an ampersand or a lower case "and" depending on the graphics.

Of course my preference is always to see just "The Supremes" when it is just for the classic line-up of Diana, Mary and Florence. However, now 41 years since Diana Ross left the group, and with her successful solo career that followed, I feel adding her name whenever possible is a testament to her career and does not detract from the group or any individual who was a part of that group. It also will generate more sales, which is good for all concerned, and keep the name The Supremes in the public eye. [[In recent years, sometimes seeing just the name "The Supremes" on a CD was misleading if you didn't read the fine print!!!)

In the mid-80s when I visited the UK I purchased some reissue vinyl albums and cassette tapes. My collection is packed-away due to my recent move, but if I recall, some of their early albums had the name changed to Diana Ross and The Supremes on those reissues. I had mixed reaction to that at the time.

My UK reissue cassette of More Hits does say The Supremes on the cover. However, all other graphics refer to the group as "Diana Ross & The Supremes". [[I am fairly certain my UK Sam Cooke vinyl reissue says Diana Ross & The Supremes on the cover.)

Interesting thing about the More Hits cassette cover is that they modifed the square LP cover to fit a rectangular cassette cover. The picture of Diana is in the top left quadrant and Florence beneath her at lower left and Mary at lower right. Upper right quadrant is all the text from the vinyl album cover.

Having said all this I hope the upcoming expanded edition is not "More Hits By Diana Ross & The Supremes".

Is it just me, or is this post beyond obsessive?

nabob
09-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Is it just me, or is this post beyond obsessive?Everything on this site about our "girls/ladies" is bred from obsession.

Roberta75
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Just a tad. LOL

johnjeb
09-06-2011, 06:59 PM

OK, so I went over-the-top in my post. But I have been an avid Supremes and Motown collector for 45 years. I'm a collector what do you expect?! Collectors are obsessive.

I'm not sure my comments are more obsessive than other comments on this Forum but maybe I did ramble on a bit.

I've been following this thread but have been too busy to comment on specific posts and just got carried away when I finally did.

I'm not apologizing for my post, just acknowledging how others saw it. I'm sorry my mind-relaxing exercise was mind-numbing for some.

longtimefan
09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Johnjeb,

You have no reason to apologize. This a "forum" where fans can share ideas and thoughts. You thoughts were interesting to many of us. I do not feel a need to examine your "personality traits" in order to read your message. I hope you continue to post.

carlo
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Johnjeb,

You have no reason to apologize. This a "forum" where fans can share ideas and thoughts. You thoughts were interesting to many of us. I do not feel a need to examine your "personality traits" in order to read your message. I hope you continue to post.

I totally agree with longtimefan. No need to apologize. I did not find anything wrong with your post, Johnjeb.

Bokiluis
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
As several posters have stated, a collection like the "50th Anniversary: Singles Collection" is for fans. The Beatles may not have as many compilations out as Motown has released on The Supremes, but, make no mistake, they have quite a few. In fact, the latest is a remastering of their "#1s" set that they are treating like a new release.
I, for one, am happy that it only features the Diana Ross-led Supremes. At the risk of stirring controversy, The Suprms 70s, were entirely different group in my view. The fact that they included "Up the Ladder to the Roof" on the Ed Sullivan video reels is annoying enough. I think to keep the peace in general, wherever possible, do not mix the material together. Both groups have distinctly different fan bases. Where there is overlapping, I'll venture to say that the preference is not to mingle where possible.

Bokiluis
09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
How can it be obsessive when that is what the forum was created for? If you are a casual, fair weather fan that cares little about the finer distinctions, then this forum is not designed for you. I own multiple copies of most Diana Ross and The Supremes albums. Am I obsessive? You bet I am. From a young lad, I remember staring at the "Where Did Our Love Go" album art for seemingly days on end. Was I obsessive? You bet that I was even at that young of an age. That is what a fan does. And from the summer of '64, I became a huge admirer of Diana Ross and The Supremes...until today as a Diana Ross fan exclusively.

Bokiluis
09-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Actually the photo on the "50th", hard to believe I am saying 50 when it still sometimes feels like yesterday, is what got my attention first. It seemed colorized but more vivid. I like it. By the time they got to their first Greatest Hits, weren't they already called Diana Ross and The Supremes? My main issue is once Jean led the group, I saw them as a completely different group that I couldn't associate with the original line-up.

skooldem1
The fact that they included "Up the Ladder to the Roof" on the Ed Sullivan video reels is annoying enough.

I never really thought about that. I also didn't like that they include a Jean song on the #1's CD, or the fact that they think "Up the ladder" is a bonus for their new DVD. That's like including "Someday we'll be together" on 70's compilations just because its the Supremes most successful single.

longtimefan
A beautiful reply, Bokiluis. Anyone who enjoys a particular hobby, whether knitting, collecting stamps, ice skating, music, etc., uses that interest to occupy time. Hobbies/interests allow us the opportunity to mentally "step away" from life's daily routines. Hence, we have different interests and depths of interest/involvement, too. I appreciate this foum and value its members.

kenneth
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Actually the photo on the "50th", hard to believe I am saying 50 when it still sometimes feels like yesterday, is what got my attention first. It seemed colorized but more vivid. I like it. By the time they got to their first Greatest Hits, weren't they already called Diana Ross and The Supremes? My main issue is once Jean led the group, I saw them as a completely different group that I couldn't associate with the original line-up.

Yes, the original double LP "Greatest Hits," which ended up being called later "Greatest Hits Vols. 1 and 2" was the first LP where they were referred to as Diana Ross and the Supremes. This was the LP which included the portraits of Diane, Flo and Mary.

The first single where they were referred to as DRATS was "Reflections," which I think came out out shortly after the double LP greatest hits package.

smark21
09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I think the reason why some Supremes fans get a little upset when songs like Up the Ladder and Stoned Love are left off a Supremes greatest hits set is because they love the 70's Supremes and a greatest hits album is usually entree for new fans to discover a group and these die hard fans want potential fans to be get a sample of the 70's Supremes and appreciate them as well and know that the group carried on without Diana Ross and put out some good recordings.

marybrewster
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
One question that comes to mind when talking about including 70's Supremes with 60's Supremes:

I wonder why "He's My Man" was left off the Supremes #1's. "Reflections" which was a [[I believe) regional #1 is there and "Stoned Love" which was an R & B #1 was included.....didn't "HMM" reach #1 on the dance charts? Or is that stretching it? :)

carlo
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
One question that comes to mind when talking about including 70's Supremes with 60's Supremes:

I wonder why "He's My Man" was left off the Supremes #1's. "Reflections" which was a [[I believe) regional #1 is there and "Stoned Love" which was an R & B #1 was included.....didn't "HMM" reach #1 on the dance charts? Or is that stretching it? :)

Yes, "He's My Man" was a # 1 on the Dance Charts. If you look at the booklet included with the # 1's, it lists other number one hits by The Supremes and Diana Ross as a solo artist that were not included on the set. I think they purposely included the most popular and commercial songs for the sake of appealing to the general music buying market. They're the ones who prefer the usual hits, versus some of the other number one hits like "He's My Man" and "All of You" by Diana and Julio [[I think it was # 1 on the A.C. charts? Jobeterob would know! Hehehe :) ).

carlo
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
How can it be obsessive when that is what the forum was created for?

Exactly.

I think it's healthier to be obsessed with The Supremes than to be obsessed with individual Supremes fans, as I know there is a forum on Yahoo devoted to that sort of discussion.

jobeterob
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Good replies Longtimefan and Smark.

Carlo is pretty much right. While it is an accomplishment that songs like He's My Man and Take Me Higher reached #1 on the Dance Charts and Motown uses that to pump up Ross and/or the Supremes and their accomplishments, the truth is #1 Dance doesn't matter much. [[If I had a #1 Dance Hit, you'd never hear the end of it though!)

He's My Man hit #69 or so Pop and Take Me Higher hit about #102. Neither single sold much.

Reflections was lodged behind the #1 song of the year in 1967 - Ode to Billie Joe - which was #1 for 6 weeks. And I believe Reflections stayed at #2 for a month and may have hit #1 in Cashbox. It also went on to become the theme song for that TV show.......China Beach, was it? Reflections had a cultural impact; He's My Man was an effort to stay current that was barely noticed.

But to stick He's My Man or Take Me Higher on a one disc CD with all the #1 Pop songs would take the CD down a notch. And in reality, and Andy will confirm this..........those Icon CDS and The #'1s and the Greatest Hits CDS sell and sell and sell and sell..........and you can't give away recent releases by the FLO's etc. Even Extended Editions of Meet the Supremes are a harder sell.

These words from LongtimeFan, I really enjoyed them:

A beautiful reply, Bokiluis. Anyone who enjoys a particular hobby, whether knitting, collecting stamps, ice skating, music, etc., uses that interest to occupy time. Hobbies/interests allow us the opportunity to mentally "step away" from life's daily routines. Hence, we have different interests and depths of interest/involvement, too. I appreciate this foum and value its members.

And it is rude and unkind to make fun of people who enjoy these hobbies, be they Supremes, knitting, Diana Ross, weight lifting, fitness, FLOS, porn flicks or whatever.

soulster
09-08-2011, 08:28 PM
The company is also issuing one for The Temptations. I just hope this continues for Stevie Wonder and Jackson 5.

The digital release will come before the CD release.

ladonna
09-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Apparently, it is just me.

soulster
09-10-2011, 12:46 PM
OK, so I went over-the-top in my post. But I have been an avid Supremes and Motown collector for 45 years. I'm a collector what do you expect?! Collectors are obsessive.

I'm not sure my comments are more obsessive than other comments on this Forum but maybe I did ramble on a bit.

I've been following this thread but have been too busy to comment on specific posts and just got carried away when I finally did.

I'm not apologizing for my post, just acknowledging how others saw it. I'm sorry my mind-relaxing exercise was mind-numbing for some.

Surprisingly, I did not see your post as unusually obsessive, anymore that that of a fan. As you may know, Motown changed the name of the group in 1967 just as they did to Martha Reeves & The Vandellas and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. I suppose Berry Gordy saw solo careers for all three people. Too bad it didn't work for David Ruffin! Could you imagine "David Ruffin & The Temptations"??? Hah! Anyway, I also tend to think of the group as just "The Supremes" out of nostalgia for my childhood, and for when the group, as the original lineup, had most of their hits in the 60s. My same feeling goes for the other two groups that got a name change.

So, yeah, it's obsessive, as we collectors are. But at least you aren't talking about the gossip or how long their phony eyelashes are on a picture they took in London on April 4, 1965.

smark21
09-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Surprisingly, I did not see your post as unusually obsessive, anymore that that of a fan. As you may know, Motown changed the name of the group in 1967 just as they did to Martha Reeves & The Vandellas and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. I suppose Berry Gordy saw solo careers for all three people. Too bad it didn't work for David Ruffin! Could you imagine "David Ruffin & The Temptations"??? Hah! Anyway, I also tend to think of the group as just "The Supremes" out of nostalgia for my childhood, and for when the group, as the original lineup, had most of their hits in the 60s. My same feeling goes for the other two groups that got a name change.

So, yeah, it's obsessive, as we collectors are. But at least you aren't talking about the gossip or how long their phony eyelashes are on a picture they took in London on April 4, 1965.

To me the obsessive part of johnjeb's post was not about the name change, but his dwelling on the use of either an amperstand or the word "and" in billing DRATS. Or whether "Diana Ross and the Supremes" is all on one line or several lines. Ultimately, it's harmless, but reasonable people, even a die hard fan like me, could understandably construe attention on such minor matters as obsessive.

soulster
09-10-2011, 02:51 PM
To me the obsessive part of johnjeb's post was not about the name change, but his dwelling on the use of either an amperstand or the word "and" in billing DRATS. Or whether "Diana Ross and the Supremes" is all on one line or several lines. Ultimately, it's harmless, but reasonable people, even a die hard fan like me, could understandably construe attention on such minor matters as obsessive.

Yeah, an ampersand or a conjunction...what does it matter? I use ampersands just to be quick about it, and I think it looks better, aesthetically. But, either way, it's cool.

uptight
09-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Ampersand or "and," I don't care, either. I don't even mind the shorthand version "DRATS." That's the easiest to type, but I remember a few fans getting all tense about it a few years ago. And now we're all afraid to use "DRATS." I bet there are all kinds of master tapes and log entries with that code in the vault.

soulster
09-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Ampersand or "and," I don't care, either. I don't even mind the shorthand version "DRATS." That's the easiest to type, but I remember a few fans getting all tense about it a few years ago. And now we're all afraid to use "DRATS." I bet there are all kinds of master tapes and log entries with that code in the vault.

For real??? People got upset over seeing DRATS??? That's the kind of obsessive fanatical behavior I talk about! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS!

There! let's see somebody get pissed about that! :D:cool:

ladonna
09-10-2011, 10:30 PM
For real??? People got upset over seeing DRATS??? That's the kind of obsessive fanatical behavior I talk about! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS! DRATS!

There! let's see somebody get pissed about that! :D:cool:

They already have, dear; and Ralph has been notified. LOLOLOLOL!!

gordy_hunk
09-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Whatever Universal do will never get the full support of everyone. This is clearly a financial move, and one which will almost certainly generate a fair profit. Sure, many of us on here won't buy it, but it's not aimed at us specifically. By creating a good profit, Universal [[and therefore people such as HW) may be given more freedom to release those albums which are hard to find, or less likely to be a commercial success.

I have no objection to this [[even if it does contain my least favourite Motown record of all time). It will sell. that's all that matters.

Jimi LaLumia
09-11-2011, 10:52 AM
AMEN!..bring on "The Copa"...

stephanie
09-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey I am obsessive or I woul not be here. Imagine what it was like as a child picking up the needle and playing Make Someone Happy on the Supremes Live at the Copa 20 times. Experience listening to Martha and the Vandellas live and running to books and buying them and reading them and your friends dont understand. Picture at the age of 17 being in your grandmothers basement and finding It Doesnt Matter how I say it by Florence Ballard and questioning the whole family as to who bought this single and when and did you hear it on the radio. I found out it was my brother who bought it. Yes if you think that is bad talk to Xtown or go to England they are beyond obsessive. Imagine a grown man [[true story) sitting in the car with the Velvelettes and teaching them their vocal parts! Its ok obsess on. NO offense to the poster its just they way we are.

ejluther
09-24-2011, 08:13 AM
I have no objection to this [[even if it does contain my least favourite Motown record of all time). It will sell. that's all that matters.
What record is that? If you've already mentioned it in a previous post on this thread I've missed it. Just curious...

The first single where they were referred to as DRATS was "Reflections," which I
think came out out shortly after the double LP greatest hits
package.
"Reflections" was originally slated to be included on GREATEST HITS and, in fact, is included on the UK single-LP version of GREATEST HITS:
http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-And-The-Supremes-Greatest-Hits/release/1857420
I'm not entirely clear why "Reflections" was ultimately not included on the US version of GREATEST HITS but maybe "The Happening" was considered the "new" song? After all, it had not made an appearance on a proper Supremes LP yet...

kenneth
09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not entirely clear why "Reflections" was ultimately not included on the US version of GREATEST HITS but maybe "The Happening" was considered the "new" song? After all, it had not made an appearance on a proper Supremes LP yet...

Well...I can think of 2 reasons. One possible reason and one cynical [[and more likely) reason. The first is that "Reflections" was the first single to go by DRATS and which introduced Cindy Birdsong to the public, so it allowed the Greatest Hits to be the "old" group. The second and more likely reason is that they knew they'd have a "Reflections" LP to sell and didn't want sales of "Greatest Hits" to cannibalize the forthcoming product.

johnjeb
09-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Per Amazon it is 3-disc box-set to be released October 24:

Diana Ross & the Supremes - 50th Anniversary: The Complete Singles 1961-1969 is housed in packaging similar to the acclaimed series The Complete Motown Singles, accompanied by a booklet filled with detailed information about each single, reproductions of spectacular-looking picture sleeves from around the world, and classic and rare photos of the world's greatest female group of all time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JLN9XU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_g15_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1QQHNVWSW53E22QHY936&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

ejluther
09-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Well...I can think of 2 reasons. One possible reason and one cynical [[and more likely) reason. The first is that "Reflections" was the first single to go by DRATS and which introduced Cindy Birdsong to the public, so it allowed the Greatest Hits to be the "old" group. The second and more likely reason is that they knew they'd have a "Reflections" LP to sell and didn't want sales of "Greatest Hits" to cannibalize the forthcoming product.

Good points. In my own mind I often think of "Reflections" as the last single with Flo since it was slated to be on GREATEST HITS at one time and the song itself makes for a poignant break in the group's history [["Reflections of the way life used to be..."). On that topic, I've read conflicting reports about whether or not Flo is singing on "Reflections" [[and "Forever Came Today", too, for that matter) - I've read that the backgrounds are both Flo and Mary, Cindy and Mary, just the Andantes and no Mary/Flo/Cindy, etc. - any way to know for sure?

kenneth
09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Good points. In my own mind I often think of "Reflections" as the last single with Flo since it was slated to be on GREATEST HITS at one time and the song itself makes for a poignant break in the group's history [["Reflections of the way life used to be..."). On that topic, I've read conflicting reports about whether or not Flo is singing on "Reflections" [[and "Forever Came Today", too, for that matter) - I've read that the backgrounds are both Flo and Mary, Cindy and Mary, just the Andantes and no Mary/Flo/Cindy, etc. - any way to know for sure?

Does that mean Flo sang on "Reflections?" It certainly wasn't promoted as such, but that doesn't mean anything.

The Hip-O Singles sets generally say who is on the track, although they don't usually go into any detail as to the "anonymous" background singers. I checked Vol. 9 [[1969) and it does say "Although Florence Ballard took part in the sessions for these two tracks [[Reflections/Going Down for the 3rd Time), by the time the record was released she had been let go."

I always wondered why my copy of the LP "Reflections" had a paste-over on the back because I could see through that the text was the same, then I read later that there were some photos of Flo intermixed with those of Cindy with the group. Oddly, I've never seen a photo of the original back cover before it was pasted over. It would be interesting.

And, stranger still, TCMS Vol. 9 says that "In and Out of Love" was Flo's last session with the group but the background vocals were later overdubbed - by the Andantes! The notes seem to conclude that it was more due to the touring schedule of the girls, who were unavailable at the time to do the re-do of the backgrounds.

I doubt they ever thought 40 years later we'd be picking through this minutiae!

bradsupremes
09-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I always thought it was Mary & Marlene Barrow on "Reflections" or it was Mary dubbed twice. I just doesn't sound like Florence was on there. Her voice is so recognizable, but that recognizable voice isn't heard on the song. However, there have been times where I've heard either mono or stereo mixes of the song and I thought I would hear her. I'm not sure though. With the problems that were occurring within the group by that time, I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't on the recording.

Take a listen to "You Can't Hurry Love," "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart," and "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted"....the background vocals were recorded a few days apart in early July 1966. The background vocals for "You Can't Hurry Love," and "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart" were recorded on July 5, 1966. "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" had vocals added on July 8, 1966. Listen to the background vocals on those songs and then take a listen to "Reflections." Florence is absent on all four recordngs...

carlo
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
I used to like figuring out who sang backup on what, but I don't like it so much anymore because we're finding out a lot of things I would have preferred not to have known. For instance, the fact that Mary and Flo are absent from 95% of the Christmas album. Even though it isn't them, in my mind when I listen to the music, I still think of the Supremes [[Diana, Mary and Flo) and the good memories associated with the music.

Roberta75
09-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I used to like figuring out who sang backup on what, but I don't like it so much anymore because we're finding out a lot of things I would have preferred not to have known. For instance, the fact that Mary and Flo are absent from 95% of the Christmas album. Even though it isn't them, in my mind when I listen to the music, I still think of the Supremes [[Diana, Mary and Flo) and the good memories associated with the music.

Please don't let the fact that Flo and Mary are absent from most of the Christmas Album ruin your festive season Carlo. May the good memories of Diana, Mary and Flo stay with you every time you play this classic holiday album.

carlo
09-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Thank you, Roberta. After I had found out about the Andantes being on the album, the first two or three Christmases were really hard, but I have slowly managed to pull through.

Roberta75
09-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Thank you, Roberta. After I had found out about the Andantes being on the album, the first two or three Christmases were really hard, but I have slowly managed to pull through.

That's good Carlo. Life is full of surprises but we must keep on truckin.

Best to you.

Roberta

kenneth
09-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Hey, I wanna know if it's really Joe, Berry and Terry Gordy on the "Children's Christmas Song" or if it's just the Andantes pretending to be children!!!

nabob
09-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey, I wanna know if it's really Joe, Berry and Terry Gordy on the "Children's Christmas Song" or if it's just the Andantes pretending to be children!!!Can't answer regarding the Andantes vs the children. Good Question! Joe is actually Hazel Joy, the first Mrs Jermaine Jackson.

kenneth
09-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Can't answer regarding the Andantes vs the children. Good Question! Joe is actually Hazel Joy, the first Mrs Jermaine Jackson.

Oops! Now I do remember it was JOy not JOe, for the JO in Jobete...thanks.

Jimi LaLumia
09-24-2011, 10:20 PM
by the way,"Up The Ladder.." is on the Ed Sullivan DVD because the DVD is The Supremes on Ed Sullivan, and while it's not all the group's appearances, the DVD starts with the very first appearance "Come See About Me' and ends with the very last appearance, "Up The Ladder.."[[yes,that WAS by The Supremes)..by the time "Stoned Love" hit, Sullivan was no longer on the air,in fact I think the show was gone before "Everybody's Got The Right To Love"; Supremes singles were always helped/hyped nationally by a Sullivan appearance, and "Everybody's Got.." was the first single by the group to be denied that exposure..
singles that didn't get the Sullivan treatment like "The Composer" and "Somethings You Never Get Used To", suffered accordingly..for kids/fans like me, Sullivan is how we found out that there was a new Supremes single in the first place

carlo
09-25-2011, 01:39 AM
I always thought it was Mary & Marlene Barrow on "Reflections" or it was Mary dubbed twice.

Brad and I have been discussing this today. At first I was reluctant to believe it could be Mary and Marlene, since I always thought it was Mary and Flo on "Reflections". But I listened to some different mp3 files with the lead vocal removed and the background vocals isolated. I am convinced Flo is not on it. As Brad says, Flo's voice was very distinctive and somewhat overpowering. You could always pick it out. I don't hear it on "Reflections". Mary is definitely on there, and it sounds like Marlene's high soprano voice that always stands out in the Andantes' recordings.

ejluther
09-25-2011, 04:24 AM
I always wondered why my copy of the LP "Reflections" had a paste-over on the back because I could see through that the text was the same, then I read later that there were some photos of Flo intermixed with those of Cindy with the group. Oddly, I've never seen a photo of the original back cover before it was pasted over. It would be interesting.
I'd be very interested in seeing the original cover[[s) for the REFLECTIONS LP, too.

Take a listen to "You Can't Hurry Love," "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart," and "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted"....the
background vocals were recorded a few days apart in early July 1966. The background vocals for "You Can't Hurry Love," and "Misery Makes Its Home In My
Heart" were recorded on July 5, 1966. "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" had vocals added on July 8, 1966. Listen to the background vocals on those songs and
then take a listen to "Reflections." Florence is absent on all four recordngs..
You certainly don't hear Flo standing out on those like you can in other songs we know she's on - as you say, bradsupremes, her voice is very distinctive and hard to miss. I've read that she's not on "My World is Empty Without You", either, because she was sick the day they recorded it. Anyone else hear that?

I would have preferred not to have known. For instance, the fact that Mary
and Flo are absent from 95% of the Christmas album.
I know what you mean - I really want Flo to be on "Reflections" for sentimental reasons more than anything else.

As for the posts about being obsessed, one of my favorite quotes of all time comes from film director [[and obsessive fan of many things) John Waters: "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." Words to live by!

redlabs
09-25-2011, 07:36 AM
many times people have stated that Florence was not on MY WORLD IS EMPTY but after hearing the remix a year or so ago from the motown remix cd, you can hear Flo vocals in the background in this version. it seems her vocals were mixed in the background for the single version. also on the REFLECTIONS dvd ,you can hear Flo on the version that appears on it.
it could be the same on Reflections and HURRY LOVE so until i hear it for myself ,..its the Supremes.

redlabs
09-25-2011, 07:52 AM
for the record,reflections was going to be on the 1967 Greatest Hits lp as Florence had just been released from the group and shortly after HDH left to go in private production after a falling out with BG over royalties and having stock in motown. motown felt that the Supremes would not recover the loss of both FB and HDH and sought to disband the group and push Diana out as a single artist. the idea was to offer the Hits album with Reflections to bring the group to it's end.
they were going to bring FB back for a farewell tour but it fell through and Diana decided she was not ready to leave to go solo ,mostly out of her feelings for mary wilson. she decided to stay until her contract was up in the group on jan 13 1970.
so with the groups 67 hits album the name was changed to gear the public up for diana's eventual departure.

Jimi LaLumia
09-25-2011, 10:51 AM
wow, I never heard this tale before, not in anything from Taraborelli, nor Mary Wilson, or anywhere except this post above; why have we never this before? anyone know how valid the above post is?..I'm only curious cos I've never heard this before

carlo
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
This release is now available for pre-order on Hip-O Select's website. There will only be 7000 copies printed.

luke
09-27-2011, 09:41 AM
I do believe Mary and Andy S have been very clear Flo is on Reflections--I have never been able to hear her on Where did our love go but shes there too!! Ive never heard the above story either. I find it hard to believe Motown would bring back Flo so soon after all that happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNmm6kpscIn You can sure hear Flo here--I guess thats why our Miss Ross stood right in front of her;--and cant hear Mary!

bradsupremes
09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Mary does her best to uphold the original Supremes' image and I think she says that Florence is on "Reflections" just to protect Florence. If you look at the recording date information, the instrumental track for "Reflections" was recorded on March 2, 1967. "The Happening" and an unused instrumental of "In And Out Of Love" were recorded that day as well. The vocals for "Reflections" weren't added until May 9, 1967. By then, Florence was already on her way out the door. A week earlier, she missed the Hollywood Bowl performance and that marked the first time Cindy stood in for her. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't show up for the recording session or if Berry told her not to participate in the session as a way of teaching her a lesson for skipping out on a performance. I've heard parts of the isolated background vocals and I can definitely hear Mary on the bottom part. Unless Florence is doing her best not to sound like herself and singing very differently, she is not the soprano that is singing on the record. I believe the soprano who is singing is Marlene Barrow.

jobeterob
09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
You know the story from Vickie's book about the Andantes where Marlene Barrow says she is also on You Cant Hurry Love and that Florence is not........for what it's worth.

I have had a discussion with someone who works for Motown saying he believes she could be right. One of the reasons for this belief is that they could never really reproduce that song live; and the Supremes and Diana were very good at reproducing their sound.

The group was finished by 1967; if you read Mr. Abrams book, you will see a lengthy news story on Diana Ross from 1966, March, I believe and there were already rumours and news stories that she would be leaving. The one in the book does everything it can to push the possibility.

bradsupremes
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
For anyone wondering what Marlene Barrow sounds like, take a listen to P.J.'s "T.L.C" from 1971. From what I was told, Marlene is singing "T.L.C. is what you get from me" at the very beginning.

That's the voice that matches the one on "You Can't Hurry Love," "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart," and "Reflections."

P.J. - T.L.C. [[Tender Loving Care)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXP9V-EBBeM

luke
09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Thats why I said Andy S was also clear about Flo being on Reflections.

redlabs
09-27-2011, 05:06 PM
i got some of the info from the motown 40 special. even Smokey has said that that motown felt the Supremes would not recover from the loss of HDH.
with the belief that the Supremes were in fact done...it was the idea that diana would leave soon after Reflections was released in 1967.
just thought i would share some inside info.

daviddesper
09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I apologize if this question has already been brought up and maybe even answered, but will this concept be followed for any other artists other than the Supremes and Temptations? I wonder for example about Martha and the Vandellas. Several of their singles included B sides that never made it on to any album or collection [[case in point the song "I Tried") so a collection such as this by them would help us complete the Vandella experience.

ladonna
09-30-2011, 12:22 AM
it would be complete my darling, butt it will not sale.

jobeterob
09-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Very good research Brad. It is interesting reading because you've done some research and it leaves behind the emotion that has ruined the Supremes good name. We will need to listen to the songs you refer to. Thank you for doing this.

The Motown Executive I referred to who said the Supremes could not reproduce You Can't Hurry Love live also said that if we weren't prepared for unsettling answers about the group by 1967, it was best not to ask any more questions.

If you read Mr. Abrams new book, there is a lengthy newspaper article from March, 1966, from an Akron Ohio paper. In it, Diana is singled out in brutal terms; it says the Marvelettes, Shangrilas, and Toys have no one like her and that Mary and Flo have not grown like Diana has; it questions when she will be gone from the group.

That is the kind of pressure that built for her to go and it is what she, the group, and Motown faced. And it simply wasn't as easy to have other group members continue on like Destiny's Child ~ there was no Internet, no You Tube and Flo and Mary had no known sound and Flo had alcohol problems.

kenneth
09-30-2011, 01:48 AM
I apologize if this question has already been brought up and maybe even answered, but will this concept be followed for any other artists other than the Supremes and Temptations? I wonder for example about Martha and the Vandellas. Several of their singles included B sides that never made it on to any album or collection [[case in point the song "I Tried") so a collection such as this by them would help us complete the Vandella experience.

I thought the "Live Wire" box set was everything Vandellas...with the glaring omission of "A Love Like Yours," which had to be a mistake.

I think too the Marvelettes "Deliver" and Mary Wells "Looking Back" included all their singles and B-sides.

Those boxes were a revelation at the time they came out.

Jimi LaLumia
09-30-2011, 06:25 AM
"I Tried" is, indeed,on thev"Live Wire" Vandellas 2 CD "Box" set, great package from 1993, along side The Marvelettes "Deliver" set..

soulballad
09-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Going from memory I belive the song "It's Going All The Way To True True Love" was recorded at the same time as "Reflections" and that one does have Flo. No Supremes song sounded the same live as on the recorded version so that to me is a weak theory.

The thing you have to remember about the Supremes to keep things in perspective is they were all about image! Though all very talented singers and personalities in their own right, it was the projection of the image of three black dolls that "white" people could love/like that Motown was going after. After years of being around Supremes fans I would say it worked. My point is Motown and Berry knew how important the Supremes were to the public, if not it would have been made known much earlier on who didn't sing on what. A lot has come out about the Supremes story but I must say there was a LOT more to it, but at the same time it really doesnt even matter anymore. For future generations the Supremes will always be Diana,Flo and Mary. A very small % of people even care about anything else.

smark21
09-30-2011, 07:54 AM
I thought the "Live Wire" box set was everything Vandellas...with the glaring omission of "A Love Like Yours," which had to be a mistake.

I think too the Marvelettes "Deliver" and Mary Wells "Looking Back" included all their singles and B-sides.

Some of the B sides were excluded from the Deliver set.

bradsupremes
09-30-2011, 08:29 AM
The vocals for "It's Going All The Way [[To True Love)" was recorded on June 12-13, 1967 during the same session for "In And Out Of Love." It was Flo's last session. The vocals for "Reflections" were recorded on May 9, 1967. So far, I haven't found out what other songs were recorded on May 9, 1967. It seems like "Reflections" was recorded in its own session, so we don't have other songs to compare it with.

ejluther
09-30-2011, 08:55 AM
The vocals for "It's Going All The Way [[To True Love)" was recorded on June 12-13, 1967 during the same session for "In And Out Of Love." It was Flo's last session. The vocals for "Reflections" were recorded on May 9, 1967. So far, I haven't found out what other songs were recorded on May 9, 1967. It seems like "Reflections" was recorded in its own session, so we don't have other songs to compare it with.

Thanks for all the info, bradsupremes - so at least we know "Reflections" was recorded before Flo's last session. Of course, that doesn't mean Flo's singing on it, but it certainly means she could be. Still, as you also point out, this is a very real possibility:

By then, Florence was already on her way out the
door. A week earlier, she missed the Hollywood Bowl performance and that marked
the first time Cindy stood in for her. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't
show up for the recording session or if Berry told her not to participate in the
session as a way of teaching her a lesson for skipping out on a
performance
Also, were "It's Going All The Way [[To True Love)" and "In And Out Of Love" the only 2 songs at Flo's last session she would have sung on?

And I was thinking that it might make even more sentimental sense for "The Happening" to be the last single with Flo - some of the lyrics themselves seem ironically appropriate in retrospect:

One day you're up
When you turn around
You find your world is tumbling down
It happened to me and it can happen to you...

I saw the light too late
When that fickle finger of fate
Yeah! It came and broke my pretty balloon
I woke up
Suddenly I just woke up

RossHolloway
09-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the info, bradsupremes - so at least we know "Reflections" was recorded before Flo's last session. Of course, that doesn't mean Flo's singing on it, but it certainly means she could be. Still, as you also point out, this is a very real possibility:

Also, were "It's Going All The Way [[To True Love)" and "In And Out Of Love" the only 2 songs at Flo's last session she would have sung on?

And I was thinking that it might make even more sentimental sense for "The Happening" to be the last single with Flo - some of the lyrics themselves seem ironically appropriate in retrospect:

See I started thinking about Reflections in the same way. If you listen to the lyrics, never once is a lover referred to or boyfriend or guy. I think it could be interpreted as a broken friendship within the Supremes. For the girls to start off as good friends from humble beginnings to the height of popularity and fame, just to have their friendship shattered. "From the hollow of my tears, I see a dream that's lost, from the hurt that you have cost. Everywhere I turn, seems like everything I see Reflects the love that use to be." After all the years and hard work the Supreme's put into perfecting their craft, Florence wanted out of the group. How could Mary and Diana not feel betrayed and let down by the way things were going down. I know there's more to their story, but maybe HDH was actually capturing what was going on within the group with the song Reflections. The next time you listen to the song, imagine it as if Diana is singing the song to Florence and how Diana is feeling about the groups current situation as well as their relationship.

reese
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM

All three sets contained every A-side, as well as all B-sides that never made it to album.

The sets also included some notable b-sides like MOTORING, SHOW ME THE WAY and RAINY MOURNING. Why A LOVE LIKE YOURS was excluded is anyone's guess.

soulballad
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
See I started thinking about Reflections in the same way. If you listen to the lyrics, never once is a lover referred to or boyfriend or guy. I think it could be interpreted as a broken friendship within the Supremes. For the girls to start off as good friends from humble beginnings to the height of popularity and fame, just to have their friendship shattered. "From the hollow of my tears, I see a dream that's lost, from the hurt that you have cost. Everywhere I turn, seems like everything I see Reflects the love that use to be." After all the years and hard work the Supreme's put into perfecting their craft, Florence wanted out of the group. How could Mary and Diana not feel betrayed and let down by the way things were going down. I know there's more to their story, but maybe HDH was actually capturing what was going on within the group with the song Reflections. The next time you listen to the song, imagine it as if Diana is singing the song to Florence and how Diana is feeling about the groups current situation as well as their relationship.

Actually the song was perfect for Florence's situation to Berry and the Supremes. I wonder if HDH had this in mind when they wrote the song.

kenneth
09-30-2011, 11:30 AM
All three sets contained every A-side, as well as all B-sides that never made it to album.

The sets also included some notable b-sides like MOTORING, SHOW ME THE WAY and RAINY MOURNING. Why A LOVE LIKE YOURS was excluded is anyone's guess.

As Bob Hope used to say, "thanks for the memory." You are correct. Now I remember how glad I was to hear "Little Girl Blue," "Your Cheating Ways," and all the other great Marvelettes B-sides finally in great sound. All Mono too, as I recall. It was then that I got to hear "Too Hurt to Cry" for the first time as well. Not a great track, but a real curio how the Marvelettes might sound if produced by Phil Spector. Thanks Reese.

robbert
09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Funny, RossHolloway, I always thought that way about Reflections. IMO it was about the loss [[anyone's loss) of youth, teenage friendship. Three little girls from the Brewster Projects had to grow up, starting NOW. It was the beginning of the end for the Supremes as a group. The minimum of interacting they had on stage was well gone by 1967, Flo's funny remarks missing. In that respect Cindy never stepped in Flo's shoes.

The almighty tv had also grown up, you see, and the people wanted STARS!
After 1964 TV-directors always put Diana in front of Mary and Flo, so the cameras could easily single the lead singer out. Remember how on tv and in concert Diana was singled out. Especially on tv in shots from above, it always looked as if Diana was upstaging the other two. One of the last times they were standing as a tight threesome was with around the release of Come See About Me. After that year it was always Diana... & The Girls.

It's in fact miraculous how Mary and other subsequent Supremes kept the group alive until 1977.

RossHolloway
09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Funny, RossHolloway, I always thought that way about Reflections. IMO it was about the loss [[anyone's loss) of youth, teenage friendship. Three little girls from the Brewster Projects had to grow up, starting NOW. It was the beginning of the end for the Supremes as a group. The minimum of interacting they had on stage was well gone by 1967, Flo's funny remarks missing. In that respect Cindy never stepped in Flo's shoes.

After 1964 TV-directors always put Diana in front of Mary and Flo, so the cameras could easily single the lead singer out. Remember how on tv and in concert Diana was singled out. Especially on tv in shots from above, it always looked as if Diana was upstaging the other two. One of the last times they were standing as a tight threesome was with around the release of Come See About Me. After that year it was always Diana... & The Girls.

It's in fact miraculous how Mary and other subsequent Supremes kept the group alive until 1977.

Well the same could be said about Levi and the other Tops or Smokey and the Miracles. Have you seen old clips of Martha and the Vandellas? Or looked at clips of the Jackson 5, it's a very similar setup. Of course more air time is given to the singer singing lead vocals lol DUH. I really wish people would stop all this nonsense about how Diana Ross was just throw out in front without any regards for Mary and Florence or Cindy. *eyeroll*. Just give it a rest.

floyjoy678
09-30-2011, 04:39 PM
If you look at clips at ALL the vocal groups back in the 60s the lead singer is always on the right side pushed a little further up from the rest of the group, it wasn't just the Supremes.

marv2
09-30-2011, 07:43 PM
by the way,"Up The Ladder.." is on the Ed Sullivan DVD because the DVD is The Supremes on Ed Sullivan, and while it's not all the group's appearances, the DVD starts with the very first appearance "Come See About Me' and ends with the very last appearance, "Up The Ladder.."[[yes,that WAS by The Supremes)..by the time "Stoned Love" hit, Sullivan was no longer on the air,in fact I think the show was gone before "Everybody's Got The Right To Love"; Supremes singles were always helped/hyped nationally by a Sullivan appearance, and "Everybody's Got.." was the first single by the group to be denied that exposure..
singles that didn't get the Sullivan treatment like "The Composer" and "Somethings You Never Get Used To", suffered accordingly..for kids/fans like me, Sullivan is how we found out that there was a new Supremes single in the first place

Jimi, the Ed Sullivan Show ran until June, 1971 I believe.

marv2
09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Well the same could be said about Levi and the other Tops or Smokey and the Miracles. Have you seen old clips of Martha and the Vandellas? Or looked at clips of the Jackson 5, it's a very similar setup. Of course more air time is given to the singer singing lead vocals lol DUH. I really wish people would stop all this nonsense about how Diana Ross was just throw out in front without any regards for Mary and Florence or Cindy. *eyeroll*. Just give it a rest.

She requested that she be allowed to stand away from them as they were preparing for their first Copa gig. She also insisted that she should not have to follow Cholly Atkins directions as she felt that as the lead singer she did not need to learn the choreography. What is nonsense is your trying to change the facts in order to cover for Diana Ross. All of this is well documented and more than several of the actual participants, i.e. eyewitnessess are still alive. You were not even there!

Marv

marv2
09-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Great post Robbert. I might add that the very last time they appeared as a group standing side by side was for a few seconds as they sang "Someday We'll Be Together" on the Ed Sullivan Show December, 1969. You post is very right on!

Marv

marv2
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Actually the song was perfect for Florence's situation to Berry and the Supremes. I wonder if HDH had this in mind when they wrote the song.

Excellent observation Soulballad!

luke
09-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I think HDH were protective of Flo, as much as they felt they could. Flo recollected how grateful she was to them for You Keep Me Hangin On.

smark21
09-30-2011, 10:00 PM
It should be noted in many of the Supremes songs in the Diana era, the girl was generally on the heartache side of love rather than the joyous side. Jean tended to sing happier songs, or in Nathan Jones, played a more assertive role.

RossHolloway
10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
She requested that she be allowed to stand away from them as they were preparing for their first Copa gig. She also insisted that she should not have to follow Cholly Atkins directions as she felt that as the lead singer she did not need to learn the choreography. What is nonsense is your trying to change the facts in order to cover for Diana Ross. All of this is well documented and more than several of the actual participants, i.e. eyewitnessess are still alive. You were not even there!

Marv

You're an idiot. Do you really believe that this was something that was unique to just the Supremes? Do you not think that stage positioning for either concert or television is not something that is discussed with every group or singer? Do you think in the performing history of the Miracles or Temptations or Marvelettes or Martha & The Vandellas or Marvin Gaye or The Beatles or Beach Boys or James Brown or WHOM EVER they never once had a discussion with a tv producer or their management of where they should stand for either the television camera sake or just performance sake? Never once?! Do you really think that this was something that was just unique to the Supremes? You're an idiot.

soulballad
10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Mary does her best to uphold the original Supremes' image and I think she says that Florence is on "Reflections" just to protect Florence. If you look at the recording date information, the instrumental track for "Reflections" was recorded on March 2, 1967. "The Happening" and an unused instrumental of "In And Out Of Love" were recorded that day as well. The vocals for "Reflections" weren't added until May 9, 1967. By then, Florence was already on her way out the door. A week earlier, she missed the Hollywood Bowl performance and that marked the first time Cindy stood in for her. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't show up for the recording session or if Berry told her not to participate in the session as a way of teaching her a lesson for skipping out on a performance. I've heard parts of the isolated background vocals and I can definitely hear Mary on the bottom part. Unless Florence is doing her best not to sound like herself and singing very differently, she is not the soprano that is singing on the record. I believe the soprano who is singing is Marlene Barrow.

The song "Reflections" was completed right around their 1967 Copa engagement, in fact they started rehearsals for the Millie/Rose/Mame medley during the first week of May. The show was actually recorded on May 7th. They performed "The Happening" as well as the Millie Medley. The vocals to Reflections were done on May 9th. The Copa shows began around the 11th and ended around the 24th. During this time The Rogers & Hart Special aired and they also did the What's My line and Johnny Carson's. It's not very likely that anyone other than Diana, Mary and Flo are on this recording.

kenneth
10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
You're an idiot. Do you really believe that this was something that was unique to just the Supremes? Do you not think that stage positioning for either concert or television is not something that is discussed with every group or singer? Do you think in the performing history of the Miracles or Temptations or Marvelettes or Martha & The Vandellas or Marvin Gaye or The Beatles or Beach Boys or James Brown or WHOM EVER they never once had a discussion with a tv producer or their management of where they should stand for either the television camera sake or just performance sake? Never once?! Do you really think that this was something that was just unique to the Supremes? You're an idiot.

Agree or disagree, but the name calling is really obnoxious. We're not talking cancer treatments, no one's been murdered, no one's children are going hungry...it's just a discussion about a singing group, for God's sake. Have some perspective.

floyjoy678
10-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't get why Flo never had a problem before with being replaced on songs then all the sudden when they did "The Happening" with the Andantes she got pissed. I don't think it's Mary and Flo on "I Hear A Symphony" either it sounds too much like the Andantes to me, and that's another song that always sounded a lot different live.

jeff9nyc
10-01-2011, 06:40 PM
It should be noted in many of the Supremes songs in the Diana era, the girl was generally on the heartache side of love rather than the joyous side. Jean tended to sing happier songs, or in Nathan Jones, played a more assertive role.

I think that was as much a sign of the times as it was Jean and Diana's personalities. The role of women was changing.

helga
10-01-2011, 06:41 PM
The Motown Executive I referred to who said the Supremes could not reproduce You Can't Hurry Love live also said that if we weren't prepared for unsettling answers about the group by 1967, it was best not to ask any more questions.

Did the Supremes not perform You Can't Hurry Love live on the Sullivan show? Sounds good to me and remains to be one of the group's most celebrated performances.

helga
10-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Agree or disagree, but the name calling is really obnoxious. We're not talking cancer treatments, no one's been murdered, no one's children are going hungry...it's just a discussion about a singing group, for God's sake. Have some perspective.

Well said.

ejluther
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Speaking of HDH and the Supremes - I've always loved this photo of them together [[a cropped version is on the back of SUPREMES SING HDH, of course):
http://tinypic.com/r/24xdn4k/7

RossHolloway
10-01-2011, 11:57 PM

My point still stands. And perhaps you should be directing your remarks towards the idiot that made them.

franjoy56
10-03-2011, 12:04 AM
When the Supremes appeared on the Sullivan show in the summer of 1968 and sang
"Always" i think a cole porter song, featured on the new Supremes on the Ed Sullivan appearances, didn't they also sing "Some Things you never get used to" a song we hoped would bring the group back into the top 10 but stalled at #30. That should have been a hit.

longtimefan
10-03-2011, 12:10 AM
On May 5, 1968, The Supremes appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show and sang "Always." Because the show was a tribute to irving Berlin, their other performance that evening was an Irving Berlin medley with Ethel Merman [["Say It With Music," "It's A Lovely Day Today," "Heat Wave" and "Say It Isn't So").

Jimi LaLumia
10-03-2011, 12:48 AM
As far as I recall, "Somethings You Never Get Used To" was never performed on TV, neither was "The Composer",which was the lead off single from "Let The Sunshine In" album; that was a bad move: as a fan I enjoyed both of the singles mentioned here,in different circumstances they could have done much better..the lack of national promo for both singles made it look like Motown was asleep at the wheel..

franjoy56
10-03-2011, 02:05 AM
I appreciate your point of view, and for those who claim they won't buy the 70's Supremes final sessions because there are no hits boo hoo for them they are not real supremes fans anyhow, because haven't they heard: 'I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING" was a hit #40 pop #25 r&b and #3 disco. i love all of the supremes singing and different lineups and the best are

DIANA, MARY FLO
JEAN MARY CINDY
MARY, SHCERRIE, CINDY. "HE'S MY MAN" #1 DISCO SINGLE.

ejluther
10-03-2011, 06:54 AM
As far as I recall, "Somethings You Never Get Used To" was never performed on
TV, neither was "The Composer",which was the lead off single from "Let The
Sunshine In" album; that was a bad move:
I agree - for a group that thrived on TV it's very odd that no broadcast performances of either of these underappreciated songs seem to exist...

bradsupremes
10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I think the reason why there are no TV performances of those songs has to do with the songs themselves. I always loved "Some Things You Never Get Used To," but it never had smash hit written all over it like "Reflections" and "Love Child." Maybe Motown was waiting to see how well the song did on climbing the charts before scheduling a TV performance to push the sales higher. When the song stalled at #30 maybe they didn't see much hope to push it further. As for "The Composer," it was a song not worthy of being an A-side single. I think it's one of the worst Supremes singles ever and I don't think a TV performance would have helped the song. Motown certainly could have done better with releasing "I'll Set You Free," "You Gave Me Love," or "He's My Sunny Boy" in its place.

Jimi LaLumia
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
For the Supremes, Motown would generally schedule a tv appearance the DAY BEFORE a single's release, so that the hard core fans would give it a strong first week in sales[[There was no internet back then to alert the world to a new release); waiting till a record is in the Top Thirty and THEN scheduling a tv spot? I don't think so..

and if they didn't think they were hits,they wouldn't release them in the first place, especially not while Ross was 'still in the group'.
these 'flops'were both embarrassing stains on the legacy of a group that was competing with The Beatles for chart position through the 1960's...

franjoy56
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
This live performance coupled with the Ed Sullivan show on 2/19/66 are two of the best performance the supremes graced on the song "My world is emepty without you" flo is coming thru loud and clear. Also on this show the Supremes swaped songs with the Andrew Sisters and Flo is in the middle and leading the songs still sounding great in feb of 1966.

I do believe Mary and Andy S have been very clear Flo is on Reflections--I have never been able to hear her on Where did our love go but shes there too!! Ive never heard the above story either. I find it hard to believe Motown would bring back Flo so soon after all that happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNmm6kpscIn You can sure hear Flo here--I guess thats why our Miss Ross stood right in front of her;--and cant hear Mary!

rod_rick
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
This live performance coupled with the Ed Sullivan show on 2/19/66 are two of the best performance the supremes graced on the song "My world is emepty without you" flo is coming thru loud and clear. Also on this show the Supremes swaped songs with the Andrew Sisters and Flo is in the middle and leading the songs still sounding great in feb of 1966.

Flo is on Where Did Our Love Go. This one of the times where they had Flo standing several feet from the microphone and Mary is up close. Flo might be a mere echo in the background, but she's there

smark21
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM

I'll have to disagree. Flo's mic is set very high and as a result it ruins the blend and makes for an awful sounding harmony as she sounds loud and gravelly. Harmony vocals should blend and background vocals should complement and enhance the song, not overwhelm it. So some fault goes to the sound tech for botching the mic check and some fault to Flo for not trying harder to blend her voice with Mary.

ejluther
10-03-2011, 11:59 PM
. Motown certainly could have done better with releasing "I'll Set You Free," "You Gave Me Love," or "He's My Sunny Boy" in its place.
I agree with wholeheartedly about "I'll Set You Free" - a really great song that, if I remember correctly, was strongly considered as a single [[didn't Berry mix it himself several times or something?). As for "The Composer", I've always thought they might have been hoping the Smokey Robinson connection would help override the loss of HDH. I also think the title is not so good and "You Put A Song in My Heart" would have worked better [[and been a nice callback to "I Hear A Symphony" to boot). Regardless, I think the song has its charms but fully recognize that it's pretty slight when stacked up against other Supremes singles. As far as other songs to pull off the LET THE SUNSHINE IN LP as singles instead, I think "Hey Western Union Man" could have worked and I even have a soft spot for their cover of "Everyday People" and think Diana's vocal phrasing is especially strong there.

rod_rick
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM
There's NO Harmony on My World Is Empty. But you are right about the tech person the backing mic should have been closer to Mary. If Fo could hear Mary she may not have felt she was blending with Mary.

jobeterob
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Diana Ross - 50th Anniversary: Singles Collection 1961-1969 CD
Diana Ross

Our Price: $54.79
Scheduled to release
Monday, October 24, 2011

Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP3 Album Price: $42.99

Compatible with all MP3 players including iPod, iPad, iTunes and Window Media Player

Product Detail
Track Listing

Detailed Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Price $59.97 [[You save $5.18)
Category Rock/Pop, Pop, R&B, Box Sets
Label Motown
CD Universe Part number 8596975
Catalog number 001594302
Discs 1
Release Date Oct 24, 2011
Mono/Stereo Stereo

Diana Ross - 50th Anniversary: Singles Collection 1961-1969 CD Track Listing

Trk Song Time Price
1 I Want a Guy See All 5 3:06 $0.99
2 Never Again See All 2 3:03 $0.99
3 Buttered Popcorn See All 7 2:57 $0.99
4 Who's Lovin' You See All 2 2:50 $0.99
5 Buttered Popcorn See All 7 2:32 $0.99
6 Your Heart Belongs to Me See All 7 2:36 $0.99
7 [[He's) Seventeen See All 2 2:40 $0.99
8 Your Heart Belongs to Me See All 7 2:37 $0.99
9 Let Me Go the Right Way See All 9 2:33 $0.99
10 Time Changes Things See All 2 2:27 $0.99
11 My Heart Can't Take It No More See All 3 2:58 $0.99
12 You Bring Back Memories See All 3 2:37 $0.99
13 Breathtaking Guy See All 9 2:25 $0.99
14 [[the Man With the) Rock and Roll Banjo Band See All 2 3:05 $0.99
15 When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes See All 19 3:07 $0.99
16 Standing At The Crossroads Of Love See All 9 2:31 $0.99
17 Run, Run, Run See All 12 2:22 $0.99
18 I'm Giving You Your Freedom See All 6 2:35 $0.99
19 Where Did Our Love Go See All 34 2:33 $0.99
20 He Means The World To Me See All 5 1:51 $0.99
21 Baby Love See All 45 2:36 $1.29
22 Ask Any Girl See All 15 3:02 $0.99
23 Come See About Me See All 35 2:41 $1.29
24 You're Gone See All 4 2:28 $0.99
25 Moonlight And Kisses 2:45 $0.99
26 Baby, Baby, Wo Ist Unsere Liebe 2:40 $0.99
27 Thank You Darling 2:45 $0.99
28 Jonny Und Joe 2:38 $0.99

Disc 2
1 Stop! In The Name Of Love See All 46 2:53 $0.99
2 I'm In Love Again See All 5 2:21 $0.99
3 Back in My Arms Again See All 31 2:58 $0.99
4 Whisper You Love Me Boy See All 13 2:40 $0.99
5 Only Time I'm Happy See All 5 2:30 $0.99
6 Nothing But Heartaches See All 19 2:44 $0.99
7 He Holds His Own See All 3 2:31 $0.99
8 Things Are Changing See All 3 2:59 $0.99
9 Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine See All 2 2:23 $0.99
10 I Hear a Symphony See All 33 2:43 $1.29
11 Who Could Ever Doubt My Love See All 3 2:37 $0.99
12 Children's Christmas Song See All 7 2:47 $0.99
13 Twinkle Twinkle Little Me See All 6 3:03 $0.99
14 My World Is Empty Without You See All 28 2:36 $1.29
15 Everything Is Good About You See All 13 3:12 $0.99
16 Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart See All 15 2:55 $0.99
17 He's All I Got See All 5 2:45 $0.99
18 You Can't Hurry Love See All 37 2:55 $1.29
19 Put Yourself in My Place See All 3 2:17 $0.99
20 You Keep Me Hangin' On See All 36 2:48 $1.29
21 Remove This Doubt See All 4 2:54 $0.99
22 Love Is Here and Now You're Gone See All 26 2:49 $0.99
23 There's No Stopping Us Now See All 7 3:03 $0.99
24 Happening See All 29 2:52 $1.29
25 All I Know About You See All 5 1:57 $0.99
26 L'Amore Verra' 2:51 $0.99
27 Se Il Filo Spezzerai 2:45 $0.99
28 Supremes Interview 5:42 $0.99

Disc 3
1 Reflections See All 31 2:52 $1.29
2 Going Down For the Third Time See All 7 2:32 $0.99
3 In And Out Of Love See All 17 2:40 $0.99
4 I Guess I'll Always Love You See All 6 2:46 $0.99
5 Forever Came Today See All 17 3:19 $0.99
6 Some Things You Never Get Used To See All 18 2:25 $0.99
7 You've Been So Wonderful To Me See All 7 2:33 $0.99
8 Love Child See All 39 2:59 $1.29
9 Will This Be the Day See All 2 2:50 $0.99
10 Love Child See All 39 2:54 $0.99
11 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me See All 28 3:07 $1.29
12 Place In the Sun See All 6 3:30 $0.99
13 I'm Livin' In Shame See All 17 3:09 $0.99
14 I'm So Glad I Got Somebody See All 2 3:38 $0.99
15 I'm Livin' In Shame See All 17 3:04 $0.99
16 I'll Try Something New See All 15 2:26 $0.99
17 Way You Do the Things You Do See All 3 1:43 $0.99
18 Composer See All 16 2:55 $0.99
19 Beginning Of The End See All 4 2:29 $0.99
20 No Matter What Sign You Are See All 17 2:55 $0.99
21 Young Folks See All 8 3:16 $0.99
22 No Matter What Sign You Are See All 17 2:58 $0.99
23 Weight See All 5 3:03 $0.99
24 For better or worse See All 4 2:38 $0.99
25 Someday We'll Be Together See All 34 3:27 $1.29
26 He's My Sunny Boy See All 8 2:21 $0.99

Buy Diana Ross - 50th Anniversary: Singles Collection 1961-1969 Posters From Allposters.com

Diana Ross - Mahogany

Photo

Price: $14.99 Diana Ross - Lady Sings the Blues

Photo

Price: $19.99

Add to WishList

Share this Product

1. Evanescence
Evanescence
2. Eleven
Martina Mcbride
3. American Capitalist
Five Finger Death Punch
4. Duets II
Tony Bennett
5. 21
Adele

›All Time Top Sellers

This Week

1. Modern Day Prodigal Son
Brantley Gilbert
2. Good, The Bad, The Sexy
JOE
3. Live At B.B. King's Blues Club & Grill
Jeff Beck
4. Dystopia
Iced Earth
5. Beyond The Sun
Chris Isaak

Next Week

1. Live On Air
Yes
2. Graceland
Paul Simon
3. Mylo Xyloto
Coldplay
4. Christmas
Michael Buble
5. Essential Phil Spector
Phil Spector

1. Four The Record
Miranda Lambert
2. Someone To Watch Over Me
Susan Boyle
3. Th1rt3en
Megadeth
4. Achtung Baby
U2
5. Achtung Baby
U2

› Alternative
› Blues
› Box Sets
› Classical
› Country
› Dance
› Heavy Metal
› International
› Jazz
› Latin
› Live Performance
› Oldies
› R & B
› Rap/Hip Hop
› Rock/Pop
› Soundtrack
Music Features & More
› Vinyl Records
› Accessories
› Audiobooks
› Bobbleheads
› DVD Audio
› Enhanced CD
› Super Audio CD
› Calendars

› Bargain Bin
› Radio Top 20
› Top Music Charts
› Most Requested Lyrics
Browse Movies
› Action/Adventure
› Comedy
› Drama
› Horror
› Music Videos
› TV on DVD
Browse Games
› PlayStation 3
› Nintendo Wii
› XBox 360
› Nintendo DS
› Sony PSP
› PC Games
› Accessories

Tinta Roja
Andres Calamaro

Our Price: $8.97
You Save: $6.01

› More Bargains

To link directly to this page: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8596975&style=music&x=9795211565601

cdu4asppid music 8596975 cdu4pidall cdu4pls0 ver239cdu cdu4all 10/17/2011 4:35:19 PM

redlabs
10-18-2011, 08:56 PM
i have every supremes hits cd. has anyone bought this? what did u think? sound? booklet? thanks david

ajk93
10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Amazon's got it for $49.05. Can anyone beat that???

pj1
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM
http://www.deepdiscount.com/cd/ROSSDIANA-THE-SUPREMES-50TH-ANNIVERSARY-SINGLES-COLLECTION-1961-69

carlo
10-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Amazon.ca has the best deal for Canadians fans at $45.36:

http://www.amazon.ca/Single-Collection-1961-69-3CD-50th/dp/B005JLN9XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319546214&sr=8-1

pj1
10-28-2011, 05:17 PM
As I had a few extra bucks to spend, I sprang for the set and I'm glad I did. It is nice to have the singles in 1 collection. And a bonus to see a few new photos and several picture sleeves.
However I do have a question for Andy Skurow or George Solomon.
As you were revisting the essays from TCMS, I noticed that you correctly removed Dennis' name from the 'For Better Or Worse' paragraph.
However, you did not correct the write-up for "A Place In The Sun'. It still lists Dennis, but I'm hearing Paul. Or, are my ears really that bad?!
And once again, there is nothing written about 'I'm Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around)'.
And which of the 6 takes of the Supremes Interview will we be hearing on "More Hits? The essay rules out takes 1 & 2.
All in all, a great job in spite of a few glitches.

Jimi LaLumia
10-28-2011, 06:39 PM
there is also nothing written about "I Guess I'll Always Love You" as the flip of "In And Out Of Love"..
and as I pointed out here a while back, reference is made to no tv appearances in support of "Somethings You Never Get Used To" and "The Composer"...
what sums it all up is in the notes for "Someday We'll Be Together"..."Berger told Gordy"it will be a Supremes record if we tell them it's a Supremes record"....
'them' obviously being us!!!...lol

George Solomon
10-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally each song annotation had to fit on one page of the booklet. It was often difficult to fit all the information because obviously some songs would have a more interesting story than others and would require more space. There were a few cases when the B-side info ended up being edited to simply…’this song was included on “More Hits By The Supremes”. Also, there were edits made that were out of our hands. Sometimes things were cut randomly just for spacing.
I totally blew it with “A Place In The Sun” and honestly didn’t even notice it until it was mentioned here! Andy and I always laugh about these things [[Thank goodness we can laugh) because we try and try to make each one more perfect than the last and then there’s always something… We’ll keep trying!
We used one of the last takes of the Supremes interview for “More Hits”. Either take 5 or 6. It’s really fun and much more animated than the released interview.
Thanks for all the nice comments and the constructive ones as well!

Jimi LaLumia
10-28-2011, 10:12 PM
thank YOU,George...for being FABULOUS!!

JohnnyB
10-28-2011, 10:49 PM
George, this collection is awesome and the packaging is beautifully done. My copy sits proudly on my coffee table for guests to see. Thank you for your work!

ejluther
10-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm listening to my copy now [[it arrived this morning) - just finished DISC ONE and am loving it! Beautiful packaging, great notes and incredible sound -kudos to all involved! I do have one question - did "Moonlight & Kisses" and/or "Thank You Darling" chart as hits overseas?

Just wanted to add that "You Bring Back Memories" is really a great song - one of Diana's best and most assured early vocal performances in my book. I've always thought it was a hidden gem and hearing it again on this set only made me think it again...

One more thing - is there anything to say about the 2 versions of "No Matter What Sign You Are"? We got some nice backstory about the 2 versions of "Love Child" and "I'm Livin' In Shame" in the notes but not NMWSYA so I'm just curious...

MotownLover
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I received my copy of this great release several days ago [[ordered thru Amazon.com). I've pretty much read through the entire booklet. It's very well done and I'm glad I purchased it.

Although, one thing that I noticed is that it is shown on Hip-o Select to be a Limited Edition of 7,000 copies. I couldn't find that my copy indicated it was a Limited Edition item. Was this an oversight? Everything I've ordered in the past stated that it was limited. Just wondering here.

luke
11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Is there a good reason to buy it if we have the box set,anthology, etc etc? New pics? outstanding booklet?new info?

George Solomon
11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
"No Matter What Sign You Are" was just one of the many singles that received several single mixes. It's just one of the few that actually had two different versions released, either commercially or as a promo. On THE COMPLETE MOTOWN SINGLES series some of the other promos were included but they sound so similar we didn't repeat them here as we didn't have the space. Disc three had a little more room and we thought "Livin' In Shame" and "NMWSYA" sounded significantly different enough to include. And of course the alternate "Love Child" has a completely different vocal.
I wish it were a little more interesting but that pretty much sums it up!

ejluther
11-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info and all the great work, George!