PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Aug 23, 9P-12M ET: A Loving Tribute to Nick Ashford....

test

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 03:40 PM

...with Valerie Simpson...and friends.

Hello folks. A very sad day today, after hearing the news of the passing of Nick Ashford.
Due to this event, which is very significant to me, and I'm sure to many of you, there has been a change in tonight's "Nightflight" theme.

Originally, tonight was to be a brand new "Listener's Choice" show compiled by our own Jim Bagley and featuring his favorite Philly tracks. After speaking with Jim, who was very agreeable and generous, we decided that it would be important tonight to pay tribute to Nick and Val. Jim will be on "Nightflight" next week, Aug 30th, with his very special Philly "Listener's Choice" show.

The music of Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson has been almost as much of a hallmark of "Nightflight" as Motown is. So much of what they created together is woven into the fabric of popular and soul music...and of course, Motown. So please join me tonight as I pay tribute to Nick with the music of Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson...and their friends...on "Nightflight"...
on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 92.1 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stero at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

Thanks, everyone...and thanks so much to you, Jim...
John

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Very fitting midnight johnny. Thank you for doing this.

Regards,

Roberta

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Roberta...hope you can listen in....thanks.

John

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
The loss of two such influential songwriters at once is mind numbing. Leiber & Stoller's historic contributions to music are many and varied. And Ashford & Simpson - well I'm just kind of at a loss for words. They were very special to me. Nick and Val are two of the most loved, respected, and talented people in the business, with good reason. My heart goes out to Valerie and family. Let's celebrate Nick's life and work together tonight. I'm sure it will help to lift the sadness so many of us feel.

Hey Jim, we'll be looking forward to your Philly show next week!:)

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks JOsEph. Looking forward to tonight's show.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
The loss of two such influential songwriters at once is mind numbing. Leiber & Stoller's historic contributions to music are many and varied. And Ashford & Simpson - well I'm just kind of at a loss for words. They were very special to me. Nick and Val are two of the most loved, respected, and talented people in the business, with good reason. My heart goes out to Valerie and family. Let's celebrate Nick's life and work together tonight. I'm sure it will help to lift the sadness so many of us feels

Hey Jim, we'll be looking forward to your Philly show next week!:)

Joseph...I echo your words completely. Jerry Leiber's passing, along with Nick's, is such a profound loss.

lovechild
08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Johnny - even though it has been almost 24 hours since Joseph broke this sad news to me, I am still sitting here not knowing what to say or think. What a huge loss for all music fans. May Nick and Jerry rest in peace .... looking forward to
the show tonight and Jim - looking forward to your show next week :)

lovechild
08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
oh yeah I forgot to mention, Jim- how did you enjoy the quake today?

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
oh yeah I forgot to mention, Jim- how did you enjoy the quake today?

We had 10 seconds of cubicle and desk shaking. I think you west coast folks would laugh at some of the panicking that went on.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Johnny - even though it has been almost 24 hours since Joseph broke this sad news to me, I am still sitting here not knowing what to say or think. What a huge loss for all music fans. May Nick and Jerry rest in peace .... looking forward to
the show tonight and Jim - looking forward to your show next week :)

Tony...hey there! I know what you mean...I almost can't believe it...but there is too much evidence everywhere on the media....it might hit me through the show. If it does...watchout!

carlo
08-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I will be tuning in. Thank you for doing this tribute show.

lovechild
08-23-2011, 09:04 PM
yes I was teasing people at our corporate office in NJ. they even closed the airports and the Pentagon lol

We had 10 seconds of cubicle and desk shaking. I think you west coast folks would laugh at some of the panicking that went on.

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks John. Nick Ashford is floating in the CLOUDS. And Chaka's vocals are heavenly on this recording.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 09:10 PM
I will be tuning in. Thank you for doing this tribute show.

Carlo...so good to have you with us for this tribute...thanks!

lovechild
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
oh wow I didnt realize it was felt up your way too JP

JimBagley
I'm glad the tribute to Nick could be done in a timely fashion. Nick deserves this.

sophisticated_soul
yes I was teasing people at our corporate office in NJ. they even closed the airports and the Pentagon lol

Here in the Shimmy Shimmy Shake state a 5.0 is barely newsworthy. LOL!!!!:)

carlo
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you Midnight Johnny!

I didn't realize Nick and Val had written "Clouds"! Wow.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks John. Nick Ashford is floating in the CLOUDS. And Chaka's vocals are heavenly on this recording.

Jim....thank YOU....!

lovechild
08-23-2011, 09:15 PM
JP are you going to be playing Found A Cure?

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Thank you Midnight Johnny!

I didn't realize Nick and Val had written "Clouds"! Wow.

HI Carlo.

Please come back for the Music Of Philadelphia show as well. I promise you a few musical surprises.

Jim

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Johnny, if you got it, I'd love to hear "Your Precious Love". One of the great love songs of ALL time period. Nick & Val and Marvin & Tammi! A match truly made in heaven. A fine, fine song.:cool:

carlo
08-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I will try my very best, Jim! Sounds great.

lovechild
08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
as I hear Ain't Nothing.. start to play - it really starts to sink in and now here come the tears :[[

lovechild
08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Thank you for doing this show Johnny...do you have Found a Cure?

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Can you please play the extended version of the Diana version of Ain't No Mountain?

Thank you kindly.

Roberta

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Marvin and Tammi and Ashford and Simpson: awesome collaboration

Motown Andy
08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I just got here, what did I miss besides Clouds? It's one of my 25 top favorite A&S songs. Oh what the hell, I love them all.
Nick was such a special man, and Nick & Val together, I love them very much.
John, thank you for doing this tonight.

carlo
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
What You Gave Me!!! :) My fav!!

lovechild
08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I know!! when is the last time anyone has heard this on the air waves
LOVE IT ...

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Can you please play the extended version of the Diana version of Ain't No Mountain?

Thank you kindly.

Roberta
Roberta...do you mean my extended version?

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 09:51 PM
I just got here, what did I miss besides Clouds? It's one of my 25 top favorite A&S songs. Oh what the hell, I love them all.

HI Andy,

I hope you'll join us next week for our Music Of Philadelphia Show.

Jim

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Roberta...do you mean my extended version?

Yes please midnight johnny.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Andy...how great to see you....any requests? I can do that...I know the DJ...

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes please midnight johnny.

Of course Roberta..and thanks for asking....

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Of course Roberta..and thanks for asking....

No thank you dear.

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
John,
I like your extended version of Miss Ross's Ain't No Mountain High Enough better than the original. You often have ghosts singing in the instrumental sections.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Great, Carlo!!!

Motown Andy
08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes, but that was a dangerous thing to say. See, tonight I'm not a Producer, I'm a crazy Nick & Val & Nightflight fan. Here goes:
Bourgie Bourgie [[Gladys Knight & The Pips)
Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe [[A&S or Diana Ross)
Keep It Comin' [[Tata Vega)
Surrender [[2010 Mix) [[Diana Ross)
Remember Me [[2010 Mix) [[Diana Ross)
Is It Still Good To Ya [[A&S)
California Soul [[Marlena Shaw or Nick Ashford version)
I've Come To Love You So Much [[Diana & Marvin)
Tear It Down [[Marvin Gaye)
Bring Back The Sunshine [[Velvelettes)/Dark Side Of The World [[Diana/Marvin)
Nobody Knows [[A&S)
It Seems To Hang On [[A&S)
Clouds/Landlord/The Boss - Live Medley [[A&S)
Found A Cure
Don't Cost You Nothing
Stuff Like That
The Boss [[12")

I could go on and on and on [[Over and Over - Sylvester), so I'll stop now. Play whatever you want John, if it's A&S, I'll love it!
P.S. thanks for the shout out! Tonight's hint: I'm working on something with an A&S song on it!

lovechild
08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey welcome aboard Andy! good to cya

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you for the shout out midnight johnny.

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
When I was little, I thought angels were singing the backgrounds on You're All I Need To Get By. If it was Ashford and Simpson, I was close.

carlo
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Please play Bourgie Bourgie by Gladys Knight & the Pips if you can. That would be great!

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
John,
I like your extended version of Miss Ross's Ain't No Mountain High Enough better than the original. You often have ghosts singing in the instrumental sections.

Thanks, Jim. The ghosts happen on occasion because I can't completely remove the voice due to a very TIGHT original mixing.

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
It's on. Thanks so much midnight.

Roberta

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Love it. Diana's doing her Ahhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ah.

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
I didn't mean to confuse you Johnny, I requested "You're Precious Love". My reference was to Nick & Val's words and music plus Marvin & Tammi's superb vocal performance = perfection.:cool:

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't know if you have it handy, John, but Tear It On Down is one of my favorite Martha Reeves recordings. Someday, I hope you will do a superextended version of it.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, but that was a dangerous thing to say. See, tonight I'm not a Producer, I'm a crazy Nick & Val & Nightflight fan. Here goes:
Bourgie Bourgie [[Gladys Knight & The Pips)
Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe [[A&S or Diana Ross)
Keep It Comin' [[Tata Vega)
Surrender [[2010 Mix) [[Diana Ross)
Remember Me [[2010 Mix) [[Diana Ross)
Is It Still Good To Ya [[A&S)
California Soul [[Marlena Shaw or Nick Ashford version)
I've Come To Love You So Much [[Diana & Marvin)
Tear It Down [[Marvin Gaye)
Bring Back The Sunshine [[Velvelettes)/Dark Side Of The World [[Diana/Marvin)
Nobody Knows [[A&S)
It Seems To Hang On [[A&S)
Clouds/Landlord/The Boss - Live Medley [[A&S)
Found A Cure
Don't Cost You Nothing
Stuff Like That
The Boss [[12")

I could go on and on and on [[Over and Over - Sylvester), so I'll stop now. Play whatever you want John, if it's A&S, I'll love it!
P.S. thanks for the shout out! Tonight's hint: I'm working on something with an A&S song on it!

Thanks for the teeeeeeeeassssssssse! I LOVE a good tease myself! And many of those requests are in the offing...

pj1
08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
And if you have them-
David Ruffin- Show Her In Another Way
Supremes & Four Tops- One More Bridge To Cross

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I am sobbing while listening to Ain't No Mountain. My tears are for Val and for all of us. It's so sad that we have lost this beautiful and talented man.

carlo
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
I loved that extended remix of ANMHE!! Great!!

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't know if you have it handy, John, but Tear It On Down is one of my favorite Martha Reeves recordings. Someday, I hope you will do a superextended version of it.

Mine to, Jim...I will play that for you and Marvin's version for Andy!

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
I loved that extended remix of ANMHE!! Great!!

It's wonderful isn't it Carlo.

pj1
08-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Diana's version of 'Baby I'll Come' is found on the expanded edition of the "Surrender" album.

carlo
08-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes!!! Bourgie Bourgie!!! This is my jam!!! Thank you

pj1
08-23-2011, 10:32 PM
'Won't it Be So Wonderful' is indeed from "Natural Resources"- and is truly a wonderfully uplifting song.
Did the album title remain implanted in the brains of those who thought up the Natural Resources label?

carlo
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Nick Ashford was all about love...he had so much love for his wife, for people and for God. It reflected in Nick and Val's productions. A very kind and gracious man.

Motown Andy
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm with you Carlo, Bourgie Bourgie is an all-time favorite of mine. Maybe we like it because we're so Bourgie Bourgie ourselves? :)
Remind me to tell you a story about that sometime. Too long to tell it here/now/tonight.
John, this show is fabulous, one of the best ever. Thank you.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
And if you have them-
David Ruffin- Show Her In Another Way
Supremes & Four Tops- One More Bridge To Cross

Wwelcome, pj1...I don't have them...but I'll check a few other sources.....

pj1
08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I beg to differ, MJ, but I think that Martha did a fantastic job on several of the non-Motown cover songs on the album. To each his own, as they say.

texassoul
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
"No One Gets The Prize"!!! John, sorry I'm late. Could you please start over? ;o))

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks John. Marvin and Martha's renditions of Tear It On Down sound like two different songs. Great to be able to compare them back to back.

Motown Andy
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
But of course Martha's is better, I just wasn't thinking clearly. It's nice to hear both. And yes, like Texassoul said, "No One Gets The Prize" [[12" version). Okay, I'll stop now, really. Why don't you just keep going all night until we've covered the catalog?

patty tomato
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Here I am!!!!!! Just been lurking in the backround and listening

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I beg to differ, MJ, but I think that Martha did a fantastic job on several of the non-Motown cover songs on the album. To each his own, as they say.

Now Now, pj1...all i said was that it was the only track I liked on the album...I made no criticism of Martha at all...there is no begging to differ...it's my opinion....

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
"No One Gets The Prize"!!! John, sorry I'm late. Could you please start over? ;o))

Mike Mike Mike...great to see you...of course!!!! The song...not the show...I don't have control over time and space like that...wish I did [[I think!):cool:

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi John,

Can we hear Found A Cure when you get a chance?

GREAT show.

lovechild
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
hey patty tomatoE the lurking listener lol

sophisticated_soul
Thank you Johnny. Such a lovely, lovely song. Great show!:cool:

carlo
I'm with you Carlo, Bourgie Bourgie is an all-time favorite of mine. Maybe we like it because we're so Bourgie Bourgie ourselves? :)
Remind me to tell you a story about that sometime. Too long to tell it here/now/tonight.
John, this show is fabulous, one of the best ever. Thank you.

Maybe!! :)

I must hear your story!

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Patty,
Hope you are having a good night. Hope to see you next week.

Jim

texassoul
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Aaaahahaha John. Just kidding!!! Thanks for the TUNE!! You're the best John.

lovechild
08-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I can hardly wait to hear Diana do this NOGTP in a few weeks ... thanks for playing it JP and thanks to all who requested it lol

texassoul
08-23-2011, 10:54 PM
John, a friend of mine from London is listening in for the first time. Could you give a shout to Steve Shaw who is recovering from surgery? Thank you.

Motown Andy
08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
John, you're so sweet. You're making me blush. I am going to have to go to bed soon, but I will dream sweet dreams. Hopefully I won't waken in the night with an enlarged ego.

And now, No One Gets The Prize!

Okay, story time before bed [[bed time story). I met Anthony Jackson a few years ago. He played bass on this track. He told us the story that they were doing the intro, and he decided to play the intro notes very low, and play it very loud. He was nervous Valerie wouldn't like it. But she loved it and said it would make a great dramatic opening. She was right! What an incredible song and an incredible album!

Roberta75
08-23-2011, 10:56 PM
This tribute show is fantastic midnight johnny. You are doing Nick Ashford proud.

lovechild
08-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Thank you for Found A Cure JP! memories of a sweaty dance floor lol

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:05 PM
John, if you haven't already played it, would you pleeez play "Bourgie Bourgie" for my friend in London, Steve Shaw. Thanks so much.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
John, you're so sweet. You're making me blush. I am going to have to go to bed soon, but I will dream sweet dreams. Hopefully I won't waken in the night with an enlarged ego.

And now, No One Gets The Prize!

Okay, story time before bed [[bed time story). I met Anthony Jackson a few years ago. He played bass on this track. He told us the story that they were doing the intro, and he decided to play the intro notes very low, and play it very loud. He was nervous Valerie wouldn't like it. But she loved it and said it would make a great dramatic opening. She was right! What an incredible song and an incredible album!

Andy...thanks so much for joining us!!!!! G'nite!

lovechild
08-23-2011, 11:16 PM
THANK YOU MR JOHN I AM DEFINTELY GONNA CRY NOW ....awesome tribute show!

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
John, many thanks for the shout......greatly appreciated. I stumbled across a recording on YouTube. It was Levi Stubbs singing lead with the Temps singing backup on "Just Another Lonely Night". Anything you can tell me about Levi singing with the Temps on that song?

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
John, if you haven't already played it, would you pleeez play "Bourgie Bourgie" for my friend in London, Steve Shaw. Thanks so much.

Mike...I did play it already by GK&TPS...but I might get the instrumental on toward the end of the show....

lovechild
08-23-2011, 11:19 PM
yahhh for California Soullllllllll!

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
P.S. The Temps version is much better IMHO!

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
yahhh for California Soullllllllll!

YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...me tooooo!

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Good Lovin' Ain't Easy......choooooon!!

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:27 PM
John, would you pleez tell us more about The Andantes? They're the vocal equivalent of The Funk Brothers....got NO credit.

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
This tribute show is fantastic midnight johnny. You are doing Nick Ashford proud.

Thank you Roberta....and thanks for being part of it!!!

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Destination: Anywhere - I love it! Great song. Great tribute John.:cool:

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for Destination Anywhere, John. Love that Wanda Young Rogers.

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Tammi! Excellent choice of songs, John. Wow, so unexpected - thank you.:cool:

carlo
08-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Excellent show! Thank you! :)

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Ullanda McCullough!! Love her!!

lovechild
08-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Thank you so much for the awesome tribute to Nick tongiht Johnny! RIP NICK and my heart to you Valerie.

see you next JIm! have a great week all!

JimBagley
08-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Amazing show from start to finish, John. Thank you.

Jim

midnight johnny
08-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Folks...thanks so much for being part of this tribute to Nick...and thanks for the requests and the kind words....much appreciated.
And, Jim...see you on stage next week! Have a great week all!

texassoul
08-23-2011, 11:53 PM
John, undoubtedly your most brilliant show ever!! Many thanks again for the request and the shout to my friend!! Take care. Until next week.

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
A very fitting tribute to Nick Ashford. Thank you, John. Thank you everybody who joined or listened in. It was an honor to be part of this celebration of life.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Looking forward to your Philly show next week Jim!:)

pj1
08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
John, many thanks for the shout......greatly appreciated. I stumbled across a recording on YouTube. It was Levi Stubbs singing lead with the Temps singing backup on "Just Another Lonely Night". Anything you can tell me about Levi singing with the Temps on that song?

The song first appeared on "Four Tops Forever", the Tops' 4 cd box set issued in 2001. It is track 10 on disc 2.
The annotation lists the following:
Just Another Lonely Night
[[William Stevenson- Ivy Jo Hunter)
Additional background vocals by the Temptations
Produced by William "Mickey" Stevenson & Ivy Jo Hunter
Working title: "In New York"
Recorded April 27, 1965, by Ivy Hunter; track assigned to the Temptations, vocals recorded, June 10, 1965;
Levi Stubbs' lead recorded July 4, 1965; Four Tops & Andantes backgrounds added July 13, 1967
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
@2001 Motown Records, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.

texassoul
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
PJ: many thanks for the interesting info. I have been very curious about this since I found that song. I know Barry Gordy would give the same song to several singers/groups and pick the best version for release, so I guess this is what happened with "Just Another Lonely Night". Makes you wonder how many other unreleased songs are sitting in the Motown vaults. Thanks again.

texassoul
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Looking forward to your Philly show next week Jim!:) SS when is this show? Is it during John's time slot?

midnight johnny
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
SS when is this show? Is it during John's time slot?

Mike...the same time...same station. It is "Nightflight" but it is my "Listener's Choice" series...and Jim is supplying the music!

I'll be engineering and speaking...Jim won't actually be here...but he will join me on the air by phone about halfway through the show.

JimBagley
08-24-2011, 07:46 PM
SS when is this show? Is it during John's time slot?

Mike,

I hope you will join us next Tuesday and post feedback.

Jim

theboyfromxtown
08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I just saw this thread about earthquakes. I dont know what us Brits would do if we ever got one of those. I hope you guys are ok.

Joseph....why do you stay there with all that going on so regularly....aren't you scared?