PDA

View Full Version : Re-issue of Luther Ingram "If It's All The Same To You Babe"/ "Exus Trek" on H.I.B

test

Neil Rushton
08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
By arrangement with Robert Bateman, a UK re-issue of the classic Detroit 60's gem "If It's All The Same To You Babe" - Luther Ingram b.w "Exus Luther" - Luther Ingram Orchestra is available on seven inch 45. The label is a lookalike [[with current credits) of he original release on Robert's H.I.B logo. It's been remastered and sounds great.

As well as a regular release on black vinyl, a 150 run, all individually numbered, has been done on multi-cololured vinyl. Anyone interested in purchasing a copy on either format please PM me, or e-mail me on - neilrushton2@btinternet.com.

Robert's memories of the making and selling one of the all time great Northern Soul classics are fascinating -

"We recorded it at Golden World and the musicans were The Funk Brothers moonlighting from Motown. Popcorn Wylie worked with me on that session. I then took the tapes to New York and pulled a favour to get to use the Mercury Studios where I overdubbed two violonists to get the so called orchestra. That was a technique I learnt from my own time at Motown. I then manufactured the records on H.I.B and put my address in Detroit on the labels. I stood for Ingram, B for Bateman and H was the initial of my girfiriend of the time. Luther was very popular in St. Louis and we immediately got radio plays there.
I sold maybe 5,000 copies and the distributor in St. Louis wanted more copies and I got a bit wary about the costs. He said not to worry, he would get someone to call me who could help. A few days later Jerry Wexler from Atlantic was on the phone and said they wanted to distribute the record and could we cut a deal? He gave me an advance so I was real happy as I had made money selling the copies I had sold, and then got paid again from Atlantic. The copies they later manufactured had an Atco credit on them. Why did I make a record with such a fast beat?I just wanted to come out with something like The Four Tops were doing!"

Thanks to Al Abrams for helping arrange the release with Robert.

acooolcat
08-25-2011, 07:41 PM
A great record, Neil - and Robert is a real gentleman.

Neil Rushton
08-27-2011, 08:12 AM
A great record, Neil - and Robert is a real gentleman.

We have remastered it and it sounds fantastic. Copies on way to Robert so I hope he likes them.

The vocal version is of course spine tingling, but constantly listening to "Exus Trek" again this week made me think about how Robert did an amazing job all those years ago overdubbing the 2 violinists until they sounded like the "Orchestra" credited on the label, and mixing the instrumental and making it so exciting, it is simply PERFECT for the Northern Soul scene, which of course did not exist when Robert made the record!

I diistribute other labels releases too, and going out in same parcels as Luther Ingram this were copies of a new reissue of another Detroit gem, Gwen Owens "Just Say You're Wanted [[And Needed)" on a lookalike Velgo label which Outta Sight have licenced from Johnny Powers UK agent. It made me think. not for the first time, how amazing it is that all these years on, so many Detroit 60's releases are still so revered in the UK.

The Brothers Of Soul - Bridges, Kniight and Eaton - are doing a one-off show in the UK in October and they are going to get an incredible "We Love Detroit" reception. If they perform their song "Baby Don't You Weep" as released by Edward Hamilton on Mary Jane the place will go absolutely wild.

Thanks,

Neil

mark speck
08-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Neil, how much for a copy? I may not ever have an original, but I can at least have a repro.

Best,

Mark

robb_k
08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Understand, Mark that it's form is the British, with the small hole, and so, doesn't look like the American original, in that respect. But, if it's just for listening that you want it, it will be a great thing to have. The nice vinyl will certainly last a LOT longer than the styrene on the ATCO pressings.

mark speck
08-28-2011, 09:43 PM
It's a great record to have, Robb...major want of mine in the original form...I'll settle for what I can get!

Best,

Mark

Neil Rushton
08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Understand, Mark that it's form is the British, with the small hole, and so, doesn't look like the American original, in that respect. But, if it's just for listening that you want it, it will be a great thing to have. The nice vinyl will certainly last a LOT longer than the styrene on the ATCO pressings.

Hi there,

The regular issue in black vinyl has big hole, like a USA import, but not same size.So looks petty much like USA import.
The limited edition Audition Copy discs - 150 copies only in multi-coloured vinyl, all individually numbered - are solid centre.

All The Best,

Neil

robb_k
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Neil. So Mark, you should get the regular issue. I saw a scan of the limited edition. The printing of the label looks pretty much like the original.