PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else experiencing this problem with Billboard?

test

daviddesper
08-22-2011, 12:15 AM
I was wondering if there are any other Billboard magazine subscribers who might be fighting the same battle I am with them at the present time. Here is the story:

I had been a subscriber for a long time but had let it lapse. But they kept sending me overtures to re-up, and finally they sent one that seemed too good to pass up. It was for $149 a year [[If that sounds expensive, remember it is a weekly magazine that retails for about $7-8 per issue on the newsstands), but the subscription offer was supposed to also include a copy of a new book they were putting out. The book was entitled something like "The 1,000 greatest Billboard artists of all time" or "Billboard's 1,000 greatest hits" or something with the number 1,000 in it.

So I sent in the order form and have now received my first 6-8 issues of the magazine, but so far no book. When I finally e-mailed to ask about it, I got a reply from a customer service representative saying that she was not aware of any promotional offer that involved receiving a book. She pledged to look into it further, but something tells me I will not hear anything more unless I hound them about it.

So anyway, did anyone else ever receive this same offer so that I can convince them [[and myself) that I did not dream it? I would especially like to know if anyone actually received the book.

jobeterob
08-22-2011, 02:09 AM
I let my subscription lapse too.

Sounds like a Fred Bronson book; maybe go look up him or Joel Whitburn on line and see if you can pinpoint exactly what book it was. There are books they've written with a title like the one you mentioned. I might even have it.

I bet if you hassle them, they will cough with the book because they've lost a lot of readers as we entered the Online world and charts aren't what they used to be.

Doug-Morgan
08-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I hadn't read Billboard in years. When we had the radio station, we opted instead for Radio and Records, which aparently has been folded into Billboard. Is Billboard now a better music industry rag than it was 10 or 15 years ago? I guess what I'm asking is has folding R&R into it improved what was a worthless use of slick paper?

daviddesper
08-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for your feedback. One of the Whitburn books looks the most like what I remembered seeing in the advertisement that they had sent. That should help me in my discussions with them.

daviddesper
08-23-2011, 08:18 PM
The plot is thickening. They are now trying to tell me that the promotion they sent out promising a "book" occurred in 2008, yet I just received it within the last 3-4 months. I am not surprised they are losing subscribers if this is the way they operate.

The young lady who has been communicating with me has been very respectful and efficient, but that does change the fact that something is rotten in........whatever city they publish!