PDA

View Full Version : MARILYN McLEOD CD ON TWINN RECORDS - CO- COMPOSER / OWNER JANIE BRADFORD

test

MIKEW-UK
08-20-2011, 07:21 PM
In case you are unaware, Marilyn McLeod has a CD out.....

PR RELEASE ON CD

Singer/songwriter Marilyn McLeod’s refreshingly smooth voice sounds as if she were still pitching songs to singer/actress Diana Ross, for whom she co-wrote the smash, Grammy-Nominated hit “Love Hangover.” And why not!? Ross has nothing new on the market and listening to McLeod’s renderings fills a musical void on today’s music scene. Her new CD, titled I Believe In Me, is a 9-track set co-written with veteran Motown songwriter Janie Bradford who is best known for hit songs like “Money,” and “Too Busy Thinking About My Baby.”

McLeod, whose stint with Motown Records spanned 15 years from 1970 to 1985, is credited for many songs controlled by the company’s Jobete publishing arm. Along with “Love Hangover,” she wrote and co-wrote a variety of songs like “Walk In The Night” by Junior Walker; “You Can’t Turn Me Off” by High Inergy; “Pops We Love You” by Diana Ross/Marvin Gaye/Smokey Robinson/Stevie Wonder; “Body And Soul” by The Four Tops; “I Get High” by Freda Payne; and “Same Ol’ Love” by Anita Baker to name a few.

Born in Detroit, Michigan, McLeod has a very rich musical background. Both parents were singers, and her pianist mother composed music. All of her five siblings were musical. Of note: older brother Ernie Farrow played upright bass with the great jazz musician Yusef Lateef, and her late sister world-class musician Alice Coltrane was married to the legendary saxophone player John Coltrane.

Produced by McLeod on Twinn Records – a label she co-founded and co-owns with Bradford – the set includes the very timely breakout tune “What Would Marvin Say” [[a tribute to Marvin Gaye), the title track “I Believe In Me” [[which has a fabulous guitar track reminiscent of the Stax Records sound), “Stand Up,” “About U,” and “It’s Gonna Be A Beautiful Day.” The sincerity in McLeod’s voice enhances the warmth in the honesty of the lyrics. The CD lists a host of background singers and musicians well-known in the music industry, including members of the Coltrane family. It’s no wonder McLeod is creating quite a buzz in Jazz and Blues circles. She and Bradford have come up with a winning combination!

For further information please visit the website at :
www.twinnrecords.com

PUBLICITY RELEASE BY LARRY BUFORD
Larry Buford is a Los Angeles-based freelance writer. Author of “Things Are Gettin’ Outta Hand” [[Steuben Pub. www.amazon.com), available at Chaucer’s Bookstore in Santa Barbara, CA. Visit the author at www.editorialbylarry.com [[213) 220-8101

TRACK LISTING

1. What Would Marvin Say
2. Losing You
3. Stand Up
4. I Believe In Me
5. About U
6. Its Gonna Be A Beauiful Day
7. Future
8. Keep God In Your Life
9. What Would Marvin Say [[finale)

tomato tom
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
For your info, Marolyn also released a single I Got Love On My Mind in 1979 for Fantasy records. I seem to remember as well that she recorded and / or wrote for Motorcity for Mr Levine, but my memory hazy on that one. Glad to see this release. WIll check out the web address..Paulo xxx

R. Mark Desjardins
05-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Marilyn McLeod is one of those music industry best kept secrets who seems to never had gotten the big break that would have established her as a better known talent. She was part of the one only single group Nu Page on Mowest in 1973, featured on the recent Mowest Story compilation. She also recorded a single 45 rpm on Motown released as Pure Magic featuring Marilyn McLeod entitled "Perfect Timing" [[On Valentine's Day.) The biggest treat for me was to hear Marilyn and Pam Sawyer harmonize on a snippet of their fabulous co-written song, "Love Hangover" which can be listened to at the following site.

http://castroller.com/Podcasts/Motown/1075499?start=7.8

Her "I Believe In Me" CD is well worth obtaining. Easily available on amazon, it features some very hip grooves cowritten with veteran Motown songwriter, Janie Bradford.

Hotspurman
05-31-2012, 04:27 AM
Do you have any further info on the Pure Magic track - I can find no artist called Pure Magic and no track called Perfect Timing by anyone on Motown. I also couldn't find any info on either artist or track on Discogs.

copley
05-31-2012, 05:57 AM
This CD was released two years ago!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marilynmcleod1

144man
05-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Do you have any further info on the Pure Magic track - I can find no artist called Pure Magic and no track called Perfect Timing by anyone on Motown. I also couldn't find any info on either artist or track on Discogs.

I've never heard it. It was a promotional record bearing the catalogue number PR 47A. The flip was an instrumental version. It dates from 1979.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-31-2012, 04:42 PM
I just checked eBay and the gemm site and there is a copy of the promotional 45 rpm of "Perfect Timing" [[On Valentine's Day) currently listed. It was issued to radio stations with a gatefold jacket with the lyrics printed inside. One wonders if the label was testing the waters to see if their was a demand for airplay before releasing the single.

There was also an entire vinyl album pressed entitled "Pam & Marilyn Pure Magic" featuring 32 snippets of compositions that this songwriting team had composed to stimulate interest in their Jobete catalogue. I believe similar releases were prepared for Norman Whitfield, William Robinson, and Holland Dozier Holland.
Unfortunately the Pam Sawyer & Marilyn McLeod package did not include them singing "Love Hangover," but that link is to be found above. 4972

thommg
05-31-2012, 05:39 PM
I believe there was also one of those songwriter albums for Ashford & Simpson. I believe I saw it many years ago at a used record store in NYC but it was too rich for my blood.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-31-2012, 11:38 PM
A quick search on various music sites revealed that other volumes on the Jobete label are readily available. The Songs of Johnny Bristol, Frank Wilson and Freddie Perron as well as The Songs Of Marvin Gaye are quite reasonably priced, but The Songs Of Stevie Wonder is quite expensive.

thommg;
I just found a sealed copy of the Ashford & Simpson sampler for a very fair price on the net, and I'm hoping that the snippets feature them singing their own compositions. I have heard that they did record some of their songs while writing at Motown, but nothing has ever surfaced. Anyone have any inside information on this possibility?

R. Mark Desjardins
06-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Since this this thread has opened up to other songs by Marilyn McLeod I thought the following would be of interest to her fans. On a past Nightflight radio program, George Solomon from Universal commented that in 2009, as part of Motown 50, an interview with longtime Motown composers, Pam Sawyer and Marilyn McLeod discussed the creation of their megahit, "Love Hangover." Much to my delight, the segment entitled "Love Hangover Part 1" includes the two women signing a snippet of their composition. Very rare indeed, and very much worth while checking out!

http://castroller.com/Podcasts/Motown/1075499