PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson & The Miracles-Come 'round Here [[I'm The One You Need)

test

theboyfromxtown
08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYudoVfEiX0&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Maybe only in a medley but this is the best I've seen.

paladin
08-20-2011, 08:17 PM
sweet ! Mr Tambourine Man.....hmmmm........haven't seen that before......lol..... beat his hip hurt after tha one.......seems like he was singing in a different key...good video though........

marv2
08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
sweet ! Mr Tambourine Man.....hmmmm........haven't seen that before......lol..... beat his hip hurt after tha one.......seems like he was singing in a different key...good video though........

This is a great clip. I am guessing this is a foreign appearance. He does seems to reaching over his regular key. The Miracles were looking rather sharp!

MIKEW-UK
08-20-2011, 09:23 PM
“COME ‘ROUND HERE”
[[To See the Miracle on Sycamore Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard)
By Larry Buford. http://www.editorialbylarry.com/

How fitting is this? In January 2008 a Fresh & Easy market opened on Sycamore Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard. On March 20, 2009 a “fresh & easy” group called the Miracles was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at the same intersection. I say “fresh & easy” because Motown’s Miracles, fronted by Smokey Robinson, delivered some of the most endearing, refreshing, and easy-listening music of all time. Songs like “Tracks of My Tears” and “More Love” are soundtracks to the world in which we live today. The event was engineered by Ron Brewington, Executive Director of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Motown Alumni Association [[MAA), who is also credited with getting the late Marvin Gaye on the star walk among others.
Few people can say they wrote songs that were recorded by the Miracles during the Motown heyday, because they [[Smokey being the principle writer) wrote their own songs. I was standing next to songwriters Eddie and Brian Holland [[of the Holland/Dozier/Holland [HDH] team) as the Miracles - Robinson, Bobby Rogers, Pete Moore, Claudette Robinson, Ronnie White [[posthumously), and Billy Griffin [[who took over lead vocal assignments after Smokey departed the group in 1972) – were being honored.
In 1966 HDH wrote and produced a song on the Miracles called “[[Come ‘Round Here) I’m the One You Need”. That song in my opinion epitomizes what the Miracles were all about. The single version of the song with “Save Me” as the “B” side showcased a determined and convincing Smokey Robinson lead vocal and an infectious background vocal pattern that was developed by Lamont Dozier as Eddie Holland recalls.
“Lamont was assigned background details…the Miracles were interesting and very provocative…Smokey was the best we had at Motown”, said Eddie. Even though his own reputation for writing great lyrics earned him the title of “the Pen”, Eddie went on to say, “I always felt Smokey was the best”.
The entire ceremony was fantastic! Smokey and Berry Gordy had just returned from a taping of American Idol staged at the Motown Museum the day before in Detroit. Stevie Wonder gave opening remarks, followed by Gordy, and the crowd was exuberant!
The reception was attended as if it were a Motown family reunion. Mary Wilson of the Supremes was there as well as Cornelius Grant, Scherrie and Freda Payne, Louis Price, Iris Gordy, Janie Bradford, Marvin Marshall, Robert Bateman, Betty Kelly, Miller London and a host of others.
The Miracles - as they were known before they became Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, were the premier Motown act with other such hits as “Shop Around”; “You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me”; and “I Second That Emotion”.

jeff9nyc
08-21-2011, 12:07 AM
I always thought this song would have made a great single for the Supremes.

motony
08-21-2011, 02:19 AM
It sounds like a Four Tops record. Not the best record by the Miracles nor HDH. "Mickeys Monkey" now thats one of the best.And one of Motowns best records period.

uptight
08-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Great clip and performance. Jeff, come to think of it, Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Supremes or Marvelettes would have sounded great with this tune, as well. And we know how smoothly Wanda Rogers' voice handled Smokey's productions. I also like the J5 version, which I was familiar with prior to discovering The Miracles' original.

reese
08-21-2011, 09:14 AM
From the looks of it, I think this clip is from the show POPENDITY. It was filmed at a theatre in the round in Rhode Island. Other acts on the show were Aretha Franklin and Frankie Valli. On YouTube, there's a short clip of the three of them singing THAT'S LIFE.

marv2
08-21-2011, 10:03 AM
From the looks of it, I think this clip is from the show POPENDITY. It was filmed at a theatre in the round in Rhode Island. Other acts on the show were Aretha Franklin and Frankie Valli. On YouTube, there's a short clip of the three of them singing THAT'S LIFE.

Wait a minute! Rhode Island had a show? LOL!!! I use to work up there, Providence, Cranston . Never heard of this show. Was it just broadcast locally?

marv2
08-21-2011, 10:07 AM
This is what I was able to find out about the show:

Popendipity

Neil was on a TV special called "Popendipity" which aired on Thursday night, November 16, 1967. I don't remember the network; it may have been ABC. It was scheduled at the last minute because of some kind of strike at the network that prevented regular programming from being shown. Neil sang "Shilo". The hosts were Flip Wilson, the well-known U.S. comedian, and Robie Porter, an Australian, whom I think was also a comedian. There were many other guests, including the Buffalo Springfield and Aretha Franklin. -- Regina Litman

Thanks Reese!

danman869
08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Doing a little 'net research, I discovered that this clip was taken from the ABC-TV special, "Popendipity," featuring The Buffalo Springfield, The Four Seasons, The Cake, Neil Diamond, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Aretha Franklin, Astrud Gilberto, Buffy Sainte-Marie, and Frank Converse, and hosted by Flip Wilson and Robbie Porter. It was filmed during two shows on Thursday, September 28, 1967 at the Warwick Theater in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. ABC-TV aired it as a music special on Thursday, November 16, 1967.

Great performance of a song that certainly stretched the limits of Smokey's voice. Nice to see something unusual like this pop up on YouTube! As for the original song, I would've loved to have heard either The Supremes or The Four Tops tackle it. Not sure about The Marvelettes trying it as it would've had Wanda singing in her falsetto the entire song...I love Wanda's [[and Gladys') voice, but I'm not sure that would've been a great sound the whole way through.

kenneth
08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Doing a little 'net research, I discovered that this clip was taken from the ABC-TV special, "Popendipity," featuring The Buffalo Springfield, The Four Seasons, The Cake, Neil Diamond, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Aretha Franklin, Astrud Gilberto, Buffy Sainte-Marie, and Frank Converse, and hosted by Flip Wilson and Robbie Porter. It was filmed during two shows on Thursday, September 28, 1967 at the Warwick Theater in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. ABC-TV aired it as a music special on Thursday, November 16, 1967.

Great performance of a song that certainly stretched the limits of Smokey's voice. Nice to see something unusual like this pop up on YouTube! As for the original song, I would've loved to have heard either The Supremes or The Four Tops tackle it. Not sure about The Marvelettes trying it as it would've had Wanda singing in her falsetto the entire song...I love Wanda's [[and Gladys') voice, but I'm not sure that would've been a great sound the whole way through.

But an interesting Marvelettes arrangement could have had Gladys singing the main verse and then Wanda coming in on "Now I may not be the one..." similar to how they shared the vocals on "As Long As I Know He's Mine." I would love to hear it done that way!

danman869
08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
OK, Kenneth... you're right; that might have been worth listening to! Everything Motown would be worth listening to...even if it didn't ultimately work.

danman869
08-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh--and apparently Smokey & The Miracles sang this medley, plus "Yesterday" and participated in the finale [[as mentioned above) singing with others on "That's Life."

kenneth
08-21-2011, 02:52 PM
OK, Kenneth... you're right; that might have been worth listening to! Everything Motown would be worth listening to...even if it didn't ultimately work.

Thank you. Wanda is my all time favorite Motown singer so I'm always anxious to hear her. I'm hoping we'll hear lots of unreleased stuff when the second Marvelettes box comes out. Although that wasn't their hit making period, to me they never sounded better than on the last 2 albums.

thisoldheart
08-21-2011, 09:08 PM
what about the single just before this? it was another not penned by smokey. it was another fast great one, this time by frank wilson, i believe ... "whole lotta shakin' going on [[since i met you)". think this pair are two of the greatest non smokey hits the miracles ever recorded. think they were trying to get that hyper fast sound of "going to a-go-go". never could figure out why these didn't make it, and were frequently left off greatest hits compilations.

motony
08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
[[Come Round Here)I'm The One You Need was a top twenty Pop hit [[#17 I think) and top ten R & B. The Frank Wilson tune wasn't a hit, but I liked it better.

tomato tom
08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I love em both. Think they are the best of the uptempo Miracles tunes of the time.Indeed, two of the best dance Motown tunes of that era. Paulo xxx

stephanie
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
My mother did not care for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles this is the ONLY song by them she liked. Seeing as though she was a Supremes and Four Tops nut I can understand why because of the arrangement. I never tire of this song and I wish the Miracles had done more songs like this.