PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with Spotify....can anyone help?

test

daviddesper
08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I had read about this new music sharing file [[Spotify) that is supposed to be so exciting and revolutionary, but so far I can't make any sense out of it. So hopefully some of you are members and can guide me.

I got my "invitation," and then I created an account and password. I then indicated that I was interested in the free version and I downloaded it. Then I got a message saying "all systems are up and running" or something to that effect, so I thought I was ready.

I just wanted to search first and see what artists or songs are already on there, since they claim to have 15 million songs on file. It says all I need to do is click on the Search bar, but I cannot find any Search bar, and nothing in the Help or FAQ section seems to answer that question.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what I should do?

ms_m
08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
David, Spotify is more or less a music player in the same vain as Media Player and Itunes. Once you upgrade [[pay) you can then share your files and/or access the files of other Spotify users. Think of it as social networking for music lovers.... a p2p type deal that's legal because you are paying for the service.

I downloaded it a few weeks ago and only played around with it for a short period of time and not particular impressed. It looks cool and not a bad player but I prefer my Itunes.

What I don't know is if you are obligated to share your files, haven't checked that closely but I'm guessing once you upgrade... the top slot on the right [[underneath your username) is where you would type in the name and or artist of the song you may be looking for.

Hope this helps.

soulster
08-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I got in on the free offer when it first came to the U.S.

I don't use it much except for previewing albums or songs to help me decide if I would want to buy them.

So far, I am not impressed with the service, as they do not have lots of things I am interested in.

daviddesper
08-15-2011, 12:28 AM
ms m:

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have looked and looked and am just not seeing that "search bar", under my user name or anyplace else. So I must be doing something wrong. Fortunately I finally found a "contact us" feature and I have written to them with my question. Frankly I use and enjoy Pandora so much that this would have to be pretty spectacular to top that.

ms_m
08-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Give me a sec, I'll post a pic

ms_m
08-15-2011, 12:58 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/spotify.jpg

do you see a screen that looks anything like this? Now keep in mind these tracks are from my library [[computer)

ms_m
08-15-2011, 01:01 AM
These are the upgrade prices …. EMI, Universal, Warner and I think a couple of others have uploaded music so it may be worth it depending on what you’re looking for. Plus you will also have access to other spotify users that are sharing music.

If you still have your invite email, check to see if there was a code….if so, you can upgrade for a specific period of time for free.

Whether any of these labels are uploading music from their vaults that they have not released …I don’t know …and I’m guessing probably not but who knows….but keep in mind, like any other p2p, another user may have something you like and or want.

Can’t say I would rec it, can’t say I wouldn’t…your call but you will need to pay or find a code to go beyond the basic player.

P.S. I would stay away from anything on the net that offers a code…if it didn’t come with your invite or a reputable service that you are familiar with…it’s not legit [[even if it works)

Good Luck!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/mmandmusic/Spot1.jpg

BTW....the red spot you see is where your username should be [[I blurred mine out:))

but on the top left you should also see a search box

ms_m
08-15-2011, 01:11 AM
I just clicked on what's new and I'm still showing the search box. Now I'm really curious....is your screen anything like this? [[top pic above)

Do you mind if I ask how did you get your invite?

daviddesper
08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Ms. M:

Well apparently I have completely lost whatever little bit of computer knowledge I ever had, because I typed a nice long reply to you earlier today thanking you for all your help and I have no idea where that reply went! Anyway, I do thank you and I told you in that first reply that I have indeed received a response from their support team that hopefully will have me up and running soon. As for the invitation question that you asked about, all I remember is that I Googled Spotify, I was asked for an e-mail address, and then they e-mailed me the invitation. We shall see where it all goes. Thanks again!

ms_m
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I've lost more post than I can count since the change over. I think it's a combination of the new platform and user error....these things happen.

Cool beans on hearing from support, let me know how it all works out.

The good thing about this conversation.....I hadn't been to Pandora in a long while so I listened last night....thanks for reminding me about them....LOL

Take Care David

daviddesper
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Ohhhhhhh I LOVE Pandora!!!!!!!!!!!! I have discovered so many new artists that I never knew existed, which is of course the goal. I kind of get the idea that Spotify might offer some similar adventures, which is why I wanted to try it.

ms_m
08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Pandora was funny....it pulled from the Ronnie McNeir FaceBook account to give me what they thought I wanted to hear but it was a Tempt song....LOL...that cracked me up but I did enjoy listening.

I received my Spotify invite from BMI and there was a code that I blew off. Didn't realize I needed it for a free upgrade until after I deleted it. I refuse to pay a monthly fee...I just don't have it like that to spare.

I can see how it may be useful for discovering music though, especially since artists and labels are allowing their music into the grid.

Once you get things all worked out let me know how you like it. I'll hold on to it for now just for the player feature although Itunes will always be my go to music player...but who knows what the future will bring. The industry is changing everyday in every way.:cool:

daviddesper
08-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Well, with a little help from my friends [[hmmm I"ll bet that song is on their list!) I finally have Spotify up and running. I have only had about an hour to play around with it and all I am doing so far is listening to the existing playlist. So far I am very impressed with the sound quality and also very pleased to see that there are apparently many people around the world who share my musical tastes. So I am glad I joined.

However, having said that, I think ultimately I will decide that I like Pandora better. I say that because you can turn Pandora on and listen to it while you are doing other things, as I am now. Whereas with Spotify, it appears that you have to choose each song you want to listen to individually, which means it will require more of your attention. At least, I assume that you can't program a list of tracks and have them play in order. Guess I will find out as I explore it further.