PDA

View Full Version : What is the Rarest 45 Single That You Own?

test

kenneth
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I was reading on another thread about why some records are so scarce, and the responses that usually it's because they sold so little, hence few copies around. I was wondering about this the other day and thought it might be fun to compare. I collect mainly LPs, not 45s, but I do have a few rare ones. I think the rarest single I have is one - whose name escapes me - but is shown as being by "Sylvester Stewart." Yes, the fellow we know better as Sly Stone.

I saw once in a record guide it was worth a few hundred dollars. I found it in a library sale where what looked to be an ex-supplier to juke boxes had donated his collection. All the singles were relatively untouched [[and unplayed), and many were promo copies, though I don't believe the Sly Stone single is a promo. The reason I knew it was a juke box fellow was because most of the singles had those little id tags that would be placed in the juke box selector.

I apologize to all those who are too young to remember juke boxes...

Oh, and I guess I shouldn't have limited this to 45s. I don't think our friends in the UK ever gravitated to 45 RPM. I believe their 7" singles were still 33s.

So what about you guys?

timmyfunk
08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
This thread really should be in the main section. But hell, I'll bite.

Lonely Island-The Parliaments

Usually goes for around $700.00 on eBay.

mark speck
08-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Don't know if I have anything rarer than this...a WLP of Brice Coefield's "Ain't That Right" on Omen. It's a well-known Northern soul tune. I found it real cheap in the thrift store, along with a couple of other Omen and A&M promo things. Unfortunately, this is not one of my favorite Northern records...wish I could trade it for one I love. I was going to trade to Frank Driscoll, an Aussie collector, but I didn't see anything he had that blew me away...he wanted to offer me a George Jackson on Mercury, that I didn't know at the time, and I turned him down. I did hear the Jackson single eventually and didn't like that one, either.

Best,

Mark

theboyfromxtown
08-15-2011, 02:43 AM
I would exercise extreme care about posting stuff like this. I remember an occasion when a collector went into print on his collection and not long after that, his house was ransacked and his collection was no more. I replaced all my entire London, Fontana, and Oriole collection with US versions because of it.

My copy of the Primettes' "Tears Of Sorrow" on a 78 and also their Lupine 45 are no longer with me but they might have been my most rarest records. Nowadays it's more about the sentimentality rather than the value. The Supremes "Meet The Supremes" vinyl album with the bar stools cover was once a very rare item but I am not so sure about it, these days

tamla617
08-15-2011, 05:41 PM
the boy...
i got that mint 3/4 years ago,only put on a turn table once.b side unplayed.ok then,only one witness mark on the b side.[[the spindle leaves a shiny trace on on a black label!) on stateside of course.i think its around £100 mint.i paid 20 quid for that,a mint tammi irresistable[[no label marks),right on supremes and a mint shorty [[1 b side mark only) long here comes the judge from a s/hand record shop in blackpool not bad eh?
i agree with you on the advertising your collection worries...........oops what have i done?

kenneth
uk never gravitated to 45's?
whats a 45?please could you give your answer in egyptian hieroglyphs as we havent mastered the reading of english yet either.........................................lol !

actually thinking about it,i'm not to good on the dog and the eye of horus,a straight cave painting should be ok

kenneth
08-15-2011, 11:56 PM
kenneth
uk never gravitated to 45's?
whats a 45?please could you give your answer in egyptian hieroglyphs as we havent mastered the reading of english yet either.........................................lol !

actually thinking about it,i'm not to good on the dog and the eye of horus,a straight cave painting should be ok

Guess I was wrong then. Maybe I just thought they were 33s because the 7 inchers in the UK didn't have the big hole in the middle like in the US...now you know I'm right about that one!

tamla617
08-16-2011, 05:40 AM
kenneth
you're right,most singles here had a solid center,some came with spiders fitted.but not that many.i cant remember off hand which companies did what.polydor,mojo are 2 i remember tho'.tamla motown uk,didnt

144man
08-16-2011, 07:33 AM
I bought a lot of ex-jukebox records cheap. They all had spiders fitted because the center had been cut out.

Some 12-inchers played at 45rpm, some at 33.

stephanie
08-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Christine Cooper - Heartaches Away My Boy mom bought it as soon as she heard it on the radio. Little did we know that it would become a Northern Soul classic that everyone raves about.

theboyfromxtown
08-17-2011, 03:15 AM
Steph

I never heard it until I saw your post.

It reminds me of "How gentle is the rain....that falls softly on the meadow..."

roger
08-17-2011, 04:33 AM
kenneth
you're right,most singles here had a solid center,some came with spiders fitted.but not that many.i cant remember off hand which companies did what.polydor,mojo are 2 i remember tho'.tamla motown uk,didnt

Back in the early/mid '70s the U.K. 45s with the big centres and the fitted "spiders" were predominantly those manufactured and distributed by Polydor/Phonogram .. Polydor/Mojo/Phillips/Mercury/Chess/Stax/Janus/All-Platinum/Avco. They were also the labels that occasionally released records that did have small centres but had the artist details imprinted in the vinyl, rather than having a paper label.

Polydor/Phonogram had strong Continental [[German/Dutch) connections, which I think had something to do with it.

And ..

Having read boyfromxtowns earlier post I would like to go on record as saying that the rarest record in my collection is an original U.K. stock copy 45 of "I Want You Back" by THE JACKSON FIVE .. TMG 724. :)

Roger

mr soul
08-17-2011, 04:41 AM
and where do you live? Roger. lol.