PDA

View Full Version : 5th Dimension "Earthbound"

test

BobC
08-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey guys--pas question: do any of you know the 5th Dimension album "Earthbound," and if so, what did you think? I loved the record--still do--and Ron Townson told me it was the best record the 5th ever made. I also notice on many 5th forums, that that record is most definitely a fan favorite. Your thoughts?

Kamasu_Jr
08-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey guys--pas question: do any of you know the 5th Dimension album "Earthbound," and if so, what did you think? I loved the record--still do--and Ron Townson told me it was the best record the 5th ever made. I also notice on many 5th forums, that that record is most definitely a fan favorite. Your thoughts?

I liked that album as well and am waiting for some record company to reissue it [[ Are you listening David Nathan?).

BobC
08-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I have it on MP3's but nobody's ever officially released it, as you said. Some of Billy Davis Jr's best vocals are on that record. "Lean On Me Always" is still, IMO, one of Billy's two or three best vocal performances. What a gifted singer. Marilyn may have been more palatable to pop music fans, but Billy was, and still is, a vocal powerhouse. Anyone who sees him perform "A Change is Gonna Come" live can never argue that position.

carlo
08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
I've heard of this album, but I don't have it. I will have to check it out! Thanks.

Ramone Verona
08-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I have the vinyl and love it!
Can't figure why the 5th have such a tough time with re-issues.

carlo
08-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Same here, Ramone. They were a fantastic vocal group and sold a lot of records, yet their albums haven't been issued on CD very many times. Even now, they're out of print. Fortunately, I was able to purchase all of the twofers a few months ago through Marilyn and Billy's website. I think that's the only place you can still purchase them for a decent price.

MotownSteve
08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
If you really want it on CD, look here: http://www.musicstack.com/show.cgi?t=E&media=cd&find=5th+Dimension&search_type=artist

carlo
08-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Those are CD-R's. Don't waste your money. It's more worthwhile to transfer your own vinyl copy to mp3/CD-R.

Ramone Verona
08-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I guess I should have "hit them up" when I had the chance.
I went on a short driving trip with my sister and we stopped at a hotel in Palm Springs to have breakfast [[this was last winter) and saw Marilyn and Billy eating in the same restaurant.
They had had an engagement in town.
Should have walked over and ordered CDs and asked what the hold up was!
I would NEVER do that!
Was too star-struck!!
:)

rta5225
08-16-2011, 12:46 AM
"Anyone who sees him perform "A Change is Gonna Come" live can never argue that position." Amen BobC!! I LOVE the way Billy sings that song. I love the Earthbound album too. I love the way they do "Moonlight Mile." Florence does a nice job on "Magic in my Life" as well. I remember I was a senior in college when that came out. They were here at the Front Row Theatre and sang "Walk Your Feei in the Sunshine" at that concert. What an album. What a group!!!

jack020
08-16-2011, 02:52 AM
In 2007 Collector's Choice released most of their albums on two-fers! It seems they are already worth a lot of money.

BobC
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Glad to see that at least a few people know that record, and appreciate the group. When I was a kid I had an Aunt who was only maybe five years older than I was, and when I went over to her house, I'd always sneak into her room and play her albums--and my favorite was "Aquarius" by the 5th. Man I played that album down to a nub! I whined and cried and ranted and raved until my Dad finally went out and bought me my own Aquarius album.

UNFORTUNATELY he managed to come home with an Aquarius album alright--but it was by the RAY CONNIFF SINGERS!!!! I was completely devastated! I was like, what is THIS crap? hee hee! Oh well--he tried.

Anyway--when Earthbound came out I bought it and LOVED it.

RTA6226
02-12-2015, 11:48 AM
I know this was posted a long time ago but I saw this and HAD to respond as the 5th Dimension are one of two of my favorite singing groups. I agree that Billy is such a gifted singer. I LOVE "A Change is Gonna Come"! That's my favorite Billy song from the 5th. Anyway, the main question seems to be if Earthbound has been released again and it has. It was remastered in June, 2014. I've always loved the album. I thought their version of the Stones "Moonlight Mile" was fantastic. I also love Florence's lead on "Magic in My Life". Here is a link on getting the CD. I hope this helps. http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=9166297&style=music&fulldesc=T Also, the "Aquarius", "Stoned Soul Picnic" and "Soul and Inspiration" albums are on CDs with some GREAT bonus tracks. You can get those on Amazon.