PDA

View Full Version : Dionne Bromfield - A new Motown-esque singer

test

bradsupremes
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
I just recently stumbled on this girl after learning she was Amy Winehouse's goddaugther. She grew up being influenced and listening to Motown music and is beginning a music career that certainly reflects that influence. Being only 15 years old, she certainly has what it takes to make it. She has this unique quality in her voice that I'm drawn to. Very similar to Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Syreeta Wright, and Tammi Terrell. So far she's released two albums already. Her first album was all covers including several Motown classics such as "Two Can Have A Party," "Until You Come Back To Me," "With A Child's Heart," "Beachwood 45789," and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Her second album is all new material, but it is very Motown/60's soul influenced with a modern twist. I certainly hope she hits it big here in the US as she has far more talent than a lot of female singers today [[Kesha, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, etc.)

Take a listen to this modern Motown-esque song! She's got a voice! ....must be the name Dionne.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idbnLUI9gk

uptight
08-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Nice. This track is reminiscent also of Thom Bell's music out of Philly, like when he produced the Spinners or Dionne Warwicke. The arrangement is so smooth. Love the tubular bells with the orchestra and tambourine.

The string arrangement also reminds me of Lisa Stansfield's "All Around The World" and "Time [[Clock of The Heart)" by Culture Club.

carlo
08-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks Brad! I think someone on this forum had mentioned her here last year. I remember listening to her debut album and not being impressed. At that time, she seemed like she had potential, but she was too young and to me, her album sounded like a compilation of cheesy covers. However, this follow-up album is VERY, VERY GOOD. I'm really impressed.

vcq
08-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Brad, your assessment is spot on. I listened to Dionne's Motown covers from 2009, and while commendable for a young singer, it didn't really knock my socks off like Joss Stone's "Soul Sessions" did.

However, as I'm sitting here listening to tracks from her sophomore album "Good for the Soul," it's clear that she's really developing. At times she sounds like a dead ringer for her godmother Amy Winehouse [[see "Foolin [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEcQacHzO6Y)'"); there's that same nasal tone and enunciation. I'd say her voice needs some more guidance; in two or three years, I think she'll be a force to be reckoned with.