PDA

View Full Version : Bring the boys home - Freda Payne

test

keith_h
08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
This track was originally concerning the soldiers serving in Vietnam, a conflict in which we in the UK didn't have any part and, possibly to our shame, we didn't really take as seriously as we should have. However, now we are all watching a conflict in Afghanistan in which UK and US forces are involved, a situation in which there is no answer, and this track is just as pertinent. I think we should get some hip radio jocks to resurrect it [[it's also a really good track!)

soulwally
08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Bloody hell Keith, I only dug the track out at the weekend simply because I hadn't played it for a while and it had crept into my head! I was thinking of it as a mid-tempo floorfiller [[it never got played as a dancer on release, wrong tempo then). Indeed it is very relevant today.

Kamasu_Jr
08-10-2011, 03:20 PM
THAT SONG IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE RELEVANT AS LONG AS wE KEEP SENDING TROOPS OFF TO FIGHT WARS.

Ramone Verona
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Makes me think of all the boys, and now girls, that will never come home.
Were my tax dollars responsible? :[[

keith_h
08-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey Kamasu, there are some wars that are completely justified. 75 years ago, a stand needed to be made against German and Japanese meglomaniacs. My dad was one of those people who gave up several years of his life, and a few other things besides. I'm talking about situations that we in the west have no business sticking out noses into.

Roberta75
08-10-2011, 04:35 PM
THAT SONG IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE RELEVANT AS LONG AS wE KEEP SENDING TROOPS OFF TO FIGHT WARS.

Especially senseless wars like Iraq.

jobeterob
08-10-2011, 06:57 PM
This song was redone recently by Jann Arden............somewhat of a Canadian legend.

I will post it in video form if I can find it; I thought she did an excellent job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6vUp9A1e2k

This is some lyp sync but it's Jann doing the singing.

acooolcat
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Freda's song was included on the ACE Kent CD 'A Solidier's Sad Story.' [[#226)

soulster
08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Especially senseless wars like Iraq.

You got that right! It also helped put the U.S. in serious debt.

soulfan
08-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I think the song needs to be resurrected, and who better to sing a song like this but the fabulous Freda.