PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes Reflections Definitive Performances DVD goes PLATINUM!

test

carlo
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I checked the RIAA database this morning. As of July 28th, 2011, The Supremes' Reflections: The Definitive Performances DVD has been certified platinum!

Does anyone know how many DVD's need to be shipped/sold to earn a platinum certification? I don't think it's 1,000,000 like it is for CD sales?

carlo
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Hopefully a Volume 2 is on the way? :D

reese
08-10-2011, 10:56 AM
According to Wikipedia, a dvd/vhs platinum certification equals 100,000 copies sold.

marv2
08-10-2011, 11:07 AM
So much for lack of interest in a 50 year old group huh, Jobeterob? LOL!@

jobeterob
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for these postings Skool. Not bad!

carlo
08-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey! It's Mister-Carlo-to-YOU! :p:)

marv2
08-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Hey! It's Mister-Carlo-to-YOU! :p:)

Ohhhh, and should we also "avert the eyes..." for fear of being turned to stone? LOL!!!!

Ramone Verona
08-10-2011, 04:24 PM
100,000 copies is platinum?
How long was this on the market to achieve a number that wouldn't serve my part of one small town in the world?
If I had a dollar for each copy; I could my a car, couldn't buy a house, could make a down on my children's college tuition.
Back in the 60's, platinum was a big deal.
Today, a tiny sum.

Roberta75
08-10-2011, 04:37 PM
100,000 copies is platinum?
How long was this on the market to achieve a number that wouldn't serve my part of one small town in the world?
If I had a dollar for each copy; I could my a car, couldn't buy a house, could make a down on my children's college tuition.
Back in the 60's, platinum was a big deal.
Today, a tiny sum.

I think selling 100,000 copies of a DVD containing clips from TV shows that are more than 40 years old is a big deal. It certainly put a smile on my face.

Roberta

carlo
08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, they have this RIAA certification for a reason. If it was certified platinum for 100,000 copies, obviously that's a big deal, considering all of the other music DVD's that are out there on the market.

It's funny because now we have some solid proof that there's still a market out there for The Supremes and some people are still trying to argue it. According to the RIAA, this release has been a success. Period.

supremesouluk2
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Hopefully a collection of 70s Supremes or indeed a Diana Ross solo dvd may come about!

robbert
08-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Mmmm, Ross made uneventful videos in the past 40 years, IMO. Never a small work of art atached to one of her single releases, like other artists have accomplished. For instance, Lionel, Whitney, could do it in the eighties, so why couldn't Diana? Money wasn't the issue, I suspect.

Ramone Verona
08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Fortunately Diana's movies are of more interest with her fans!

jeff9nyc
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Mmmm, Ross made uneventful videos in the past 40 years, IMO. Never a small work of art atached to one of her single releases, like other artists have accomplished. For instance, Lionel, Whitney, could do it in the eighties, so why couldn't Diana? Money wasn't the issue, I suspect.

I think our Miss Ross is brilliant with the right management. Unfortunately, I also believe that she is her own worst enemy and gets in her own way when she manages herself. I think that's why Diana couldn't. But after the huge successes she's had, and the amazing career that has spanned 50 years, she has earned the right to manage herself, or do whatever she damn well pleases. She's earned it.

jillfoster
08-10-2011, 11:15 PM
HA. HA. and DOUBLE HA!! So there, Rob....how would like your crow served, fried or poached?

chestersong
08-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I think our Miss Ross is brilliant with the right management. Unfortunately, I also believe that she is her own worst enemy and gets in her own way when she manages herself. I think that's why Diana couldn't. But after the huge successes she's had, and the amazing career that has spanned 50 years, she has earned the right to manage herself, or do whatever she damn well pleases. She's earned it.

you are so right! it seems no matter how good the supremes were or how well diana has done, it's never enough for some folk. they think they could have advised different when most were not even born or couldn't keep their diapers clean! :)

tomato tom
08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Hasnt this old, old stance, not been done to death? The for and against Diana and / or Supremes? The general public surely has decided on sales alone, past and present,as this thread title shows. Let the next platinum award come!..Paulo xxx