PDA

View Full Version : The Originals - "Baby I'm For Real"

test

marv2
08-08-2011, 11:43 PM
This song is one of those that I would classify as one of very best to come from Motown, "Baby I'm For Real" from winter 1969-70. It has all the elements, great lyrics, doo wop harmonies and a masterful lead. The Originals would be a great subject for the "Unsung" program on TV One if they would deal with artists beyond mostly the 70's and 80's :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcHGP8_9p0

soulwally
08-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Indeed, Marv. In fact four masterful leads, Freddie Gorman starting things off, Hank Dixon upping the ante in the second verse, Walter Gaines bringing in his soft contrast, then CP Spencer taking it away to the chorus. Then it's he and Hank vamping it to the close.

A gorgeous, gorgeous record I never tire of.

marv2
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Indeed, Marv. In fact four masterful leads, Freddie Gorman starting things off, Hank Dixon upping the ante in the second verse, Walter Gaines bringing in his soft contrast, then CP Spencer taking it away to the chorus. Then it's he and Hank vamping it to the close.

A gorgeous, gorgeous record I never tire of.

Amazing! It shows that the Originals were ahead of their time. Marvin Gaye produced this record that somehow just never seems to get "old".

milven
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
This is the kind of group that I like. They each sing part of the lead and also sing in harmony. One of my favorites

tomato tom
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
The Originals had some great, great harmonies. Some great hits too! Im someone who cares, God bless whoever sent you, The Bells. Wonderful...Paulo xxx

Kamasu_Jr
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
The Originals had some great, great harmonies. Some great hits too! Im someone who cares, God bless whoever sent you, The Bells. Wonderful...Paulo xxx

I'm in the minority here. Baby I'm For Real is one of my least favorite Motown songs because of over exposure on radio. It's OK, BUT I much rather prefer The Bells, We've Got A Way Out Love or Green Grow the Lilacs. Baby I'm for Real grates on my nerves!

rovereab
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
One of Motown's finest songs IMO.

A Marvin & Tammi version would have been great too.

Eamonn

marv2
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
One of Motown's finest songs IMO.

A Marvin & Tammi version would have been great too.

Eamonn

It is truly Motown at it's best. Oh Marvin and Tammi would have knocked this song out of the park as well! That would have been an awesome version I am imaging.

rovereab
08-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I can hear M&T singing it in my mind right now :)

marv2
08-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I can hear M&T singing it in my mind right now :)

It is sad and mostly frustrating that it can only be a nice thought now. It is equally sad that there aren't any current artists that I can imagine doing this song justice!

sunshineonacloudyday
08-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Marv2,
I'm with you..."Baby I'm for Real" is among my top all time favorites of any label. It's just a beautiful song, beautifully crafted. And no cover of the song could surpass The Originals, IMHO, though I do also love Esther Phillips' version.

marv2
08-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Marv2,
I'm with you..."Baby I'm for Real" is among my top all time favorites of any label. It's just a beautiful song, beautifully crafted. And no cover of the song could surpass The Originals, IMHO, though I do also love Esther Phillips' version.

She did a version of it? I didn't know that. Now I am going to have to search it out and hear it. Thank you sunshineonacloudyday!

rovereab
08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Is Marvin singing anywhere on the BIFR?

It does sound a bit like him at track time 0:12 to 0:17.

Eamonn

soulwally
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Eamonn, I've often wondered that, but haven't read anywhere that he's on it. That's not to say he isn't. Gaines in the group is the one whose voice is nearest to Marvin's [[at least singing in that high register), but I'm not totally sure it;s him. Listen to Gaines singing the first few lines of The Bells, and you can definitely 'hear' Marvin singing it.

Laserdk
08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
marv2,

Esther's version is on this great album:-

http://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Scream-Esther-Phillips/dp/B000M5BA34/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312922644&sr=1-1

Ivor

marv2
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Is Marvin singing anywhere on the BIFR?

It does sound a bit like him at track time 0:12 to 0:17.

Eamonn

It sounds so much like him......I be he is on this record! LOL! Knowing him.

marv2
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Eamonn, I've often wondered that, but haven't read anywhere that he's on it. That's not to say he isn't. Gaines in the group is the one whose voice is nearest to Marvin's [[at least singing in that high register), but I'm not totally sure it;s him. Listen to Gaines singing the first few lines of The Bells, and you can definitely 'hear' Marvin singing it.

I had heard Marvin say years ago that he was going to record it himself but decided to produce it on the Originals and that it reminded him so much of his Moonglow days.

marv2
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
marv2,

Esther's version is on this great album:-

http://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Scream-Esther-Phillips/dp/B000M5BA34/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312922644&sr=1-1

Ivor

Hey Ivor, great man thank you!

nabob
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
After 7 did a credible job in a medley of this song with Natural High on their 1992 album [B]Takin' My Time. IMO Natural High in the medley detracted from the impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDGHYpLoqQ&feature=fvst

sunshineonacloudyday
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
BTW...My second favorite song on the Baby I'm For Real/Green Grow the Lilacs Lp is "You're The One", [[with I think CP Spencer on lead?) But what happened to the mix on this song? The lead vocal sounds like a cut & paste--like he's over in the left speaker all by himself, lol.

marv2
08-09-2011, 10:28 PM
After 7 did a credible job in a medley of this song with Natural High on their 1992 album [B]Takin' My Time. IMO Natural High in the medley detracted from the impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDGHYpLoqQ&feature=fvst

Nabob, I had forgotten about After 7's version. It's hard to believe even it is now 20 years old. They do a good job, but as you said had they left it alone and not added Bloodstone's "Natural High" I probably would have bought it at the time. Thanks for finding this.

marv2
08-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I found Esther Phillips version here. It's nice.....I'm mean really nice! Check her out and thanks again sunshineonacloudyday and Laserdk :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ESqtA34lA

daddyacey
08-10-2011, 03:42 AM
There is the MOTOWN SINGING MACHINE KARAOKE CD , that has the vocal track isolated of Baby I'm For Real.
The backing track was originally recorded in June of 68 as "The Bells" and Bobby Taylor laid down vocals. That set of lyrics was eventually reworked by Marvin into "The Bells" as performed later by The Originals , because the Taylor track was rejected by Q.C. Marvin kept the basic track and added reworked vocals which was Baby ,I'm For Real ,in August of 68. The both versions ,B.T.'s , "The Bells" and The Originals ,"Baby I'm For Real" ,can be sync'd up and mixed together with AWESOME results.
Felix Hernandez did a mix that he plays on his show on Sundays.
The Bobby Taylor track can be heard on the 2 disc issue of "MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES". When I first heard the vaulted B.T. version ,I was floored!!! A beautiful track on its own merit ,it's astonishing that it was rejected ,#1 ,and #2, amazing just how Marvin reworked it into an entirely different production ,by writing new lyrics and background vocals and adding the horn figure into the track.
I.M.O. :D ,when you have heard them both a few times and played around by mixing them together ,you can see how Marvin was developing his later style. The harmonics of the Doo-Wop style ,multiple leads of the same voices in the background ,are from his MOONGLOWS days. This showed up in the revised "The Bells" from the Originals and later in The Miracles ,"I Love You Secretly". Marvin would next apply the multi voiced lead and background used in the group setting ,but only using his own multiple range as the group voices ,in layers. [[See the second set of Vulnerable tracks ,as opposed to the early versions of 65/66.) Also the arrangements by Riser and Marvins use of strings and horns added a soft silky depth to the music. It was a ballard not only in words but in the supporting music track as well. Now put into perspective that B.T.'s "Bell's" and the "Vulnerable" tracks,[[an experiment of Marvin's), were not known to the public back then ,but actually going on behind the scenes ,in 68-69. Everything you hear in all the tracks I mentioned above come together after a lot of drama in 1971 as............ ,
What's Going On. :D

marv2
08-10-2011, 09:04 AM
There is the MOTOWN SINGING MACHINE KARAOKE CD , that has the vocal track isolated of Baby I'm For Real.
The backing track was originally recorded in June of 68 as "The Bells" and Bobby Taylor laid down vocals. That set of lyrics was eventually reworked by Marvin into "The Bells" as performed later by The Originals , because the Taylor track was rejected by Q.C. Marvin kept the basic track and added reworked vocals which was Baby ,I'm For Real ,in August of 68. The both versions ,B.T.'s , "The Bells" and The Originals ,"Baby I'm For Real" ,can be sync'd up and mixed together with AWESOME results.
Felix Hernandez did a mix that he plays on his show on Sundays.
The Bobby Taylor track can be heard on the 2 disc issue of "MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES". When I first heard the vaulted B.T. version ,I was floored!!! A beautiful track on its own merit ,it's astonishing that it was rejected ,#1 ,and #2, amazing just how Marvin reworked it into an entirely different production ,by writing new lyrics and background vocals and adding the horn figure into the track.
I.M.O. :D ,when you have heard them both a few times and played around by mixing them together ,you can see how Marvin was developing his later style. The harmonics of the Doo-Wop style ,multiple leads of the same voices in the background ,are from his MOONGLOWS days. This showed up in the revised "The Bells" from the Originals and later in The Miracles ,"I Love You Secretly". Marvin would next apply the multi voiced lead and background used in the group setting ,but only using his own multiple range as the group voices ,in layers. [[See the second set of Vulnerable tracks ,as opposed to the early versions of 65/66.) Also the arrangements by Riser and Marvins use of strings and horns added a soft silky depth to the music. It was a ballard not only in words but in the supporting music track as well. Now put into perspective that B.T.'s "Bell's" and the "Vulnerable" tracks,[[an experiment of Marvin's), were not known to the public back then ,but actually going on behind the scenes ,in 68-69. Everything you hear in all the tracks I mentioned above come together after a lot of drama in 1971 as............ ,
What's Going On. :D

Daddy, this is great background information. I never knew Bobby Taylor recorded a version of "The Bells", but it and "Baby I'm For Real" do remind me of the type of material Bobby might have recorded....

I listen to Felix's "Rhythm Revue" fairly regularly on Sundays, so I'll have to be on the lookout for his mix of the songs which sounds like something very nice. Thanks!

soulwally
08-10-2011, 11:33 AM
sunshineonacloudyday: it indeed is CP on You're the One. I had a stereo copy of the Green grow The Lilacs album, and the vocal separation was odd on more than one track. I seem to remember We've Got A Way Out Love was similar. Incidentally, Freddie Gorman said the track was issued as a single without the planned sweetening, because HDH had moved on to other tracks. The LP track's the same

tomato tom
08-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Didnt 21st Creation record a version on their Motown album Breakin Thru? Not at home to check, but I seem to remember it. Always did love Esthers version. Paulo xx

Laserdk
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes Paulo, they certainly did plus a cover of Marvin's "After The Dance".

Ivor

tomato tom
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Ah yes..I remember dancin to their version of After The Dance. In fact, I think its why I bought the album originaly...Paulo xxx

nosey
08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Since, C.P. is/was my cousin, this is the order of the song, [[I've seen them live so many times) Freddie, Walt, Hank & C.P. I just saw his widow and daughter at our recent family reunion in NOLA two weeks ago. RIP C.P.