PDA

View Full Version : Oh?? So now you want me??

test

arrr&bee
08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi gang,i always like to come back to this age old question from time to time,many of us here are collectors[me being the bargain basement kind,hehe]but why is it that songs that hardly sold when they were released[alone with no love-i ain't got the love]are worth hundreds today and are very rare in some instances the songs i mentioned are just two of many outthere but this is always fasinating to me as it may be to some of you also,what are your thoughts?

marv2
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi gang,i always like to come back to this age old question from time to time,many of us here are collectors[me being the bargain basement kind,hehe]but why is it that songs that hardly sold when they were released[alone with no love-i ain't got the love]are worth hundreds today and are very rare in some instances the songs i mentioned are just two of many outthere but this is always fasinating to me as it may be to some of you also,what are your thoughts?

I believe they are so expensive now and are rare because there may have been fewer pressing made during a song's original release because it was not selling. I bought a few 45's years ago something like $75-100 that were not big sellers when they came out in the sixties.

soulster
08-08-2011, 11:09 PM
The songs came out in a time where the music couldn't have been appreciated.

arrr&bee
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
And what really tickles me is that the rare songs that i seek it seems that everyone else is after too,which of course drives the price up,up,up...even the thrift stores are upping the price for rare vinyl!!

stephanie
08-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Arr and Bee I think that the price has gone down on some things though because of old titles being reissued on CD. There are many albums that were worth the hundreds [[like Spectors stuff) and now that it has been released on CD the price has gone down. I bought a Meet the Supremes on vinyl for 75.00 20 years ago and now its on CD and it doesnt command anywhere near what it used to. I know someone who got one for 300.00! At one time you couldnt find a Flo Ballard single now because of the net its not hard to acquire her 45s there must have been more pressings that what we had assumed at the time. Even though her stuff is on CD now you can always find her 45s on EBAY. I think the hardest stuff to find is the Nothern Soul stuff and original Doo Wop.

marv2
08-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Arr and Bee I think that the price has gone down on some things though because of old titles being reissued on CD. There are many albums that were worth the hundreds [[like Spectors stuff) and now that it has been released on CD the price has gone down. I bought a Meet the Supremes on vinyl for 75.00 20 years ago and now its on CD and it doesnt command anywhere near what it used to. I know someone who got one for 300.00! At one time you couldnt find a Flo Ballard single now because of the net its not hard to acquire her 45s there must have been more pressings that what we had assumed at the time. Even though her stuff is on CD now you can always find her 45s on EBAY. I think the hardest stuff to find is the Nothern Soul stuff and original Doo Wop.

Stephanie you are right. Back in the mid 80's I found a copy of one of Flo's 45's at a small record shop out in the middle of Pennsylvania and it cost $80.00! I have several of the "Meet the Supremes" albums, two are original pressings that use to be worth a lot more than I can get now.