PDA

View Full Version : Sade seduces Chicago

test

chidrummer
08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
OK, so it took me 25 years to figure it out, but now I’m on to ‘um. Sade [[the singer and the band) have figured out exactly how to do five world tours in support of five different releases and every time come off as a fresh and exciting band.

They figured out early on how absence makes the heart grow fonder and ever since the first world tour in ‘85/6, they’ve been quietly doubling the time between visits; two years, five years, eight years and now ten. This band has rewritten the book on how to romance the fans and it’s working perfectly.

That rule about not performing new songs on tour? Forget it. Release the new material and give everybody almost a year to hear it. I bought my ticket for the August 6 show on NOVEMBER 21 2010!!! Not long after Soldier of Love arrived in stores. Back in January while I was in Anaheim California for the NAMM convention I saw billboards and heard ads for the two shows Sade has there that she yet to be played.
I actually felt good we were getting our shows first [[damn southern California gets everything anyway).

So, by the time last Saturday’s show rolled around it felt like a free concert. The band performed on the barest stage I’ve ever seen. In fact, the stage was completely empty. The only wires on it were connected to the pedal boards of the two guitarists. Everything else was completely wireless. The group kicks off the opening riff to Soldier of Love and they’re not even visible on stage yet. The group emerges from UNDER the stage on four hydraulic platforms already at full power by the time the audience can see them. Sade herself slinks in from her own trap door filled with white light and smoke and the party is on.

A two hour tour de force featuring seven new songs [[a third of the show!) and most of the best stuff you’ve waited so long to hear. There have been some interesting tweaks to the arrangements of the group’s classic songs and the new tunes sounds better than the recordings now that the band has lived with them for while. Sade is still the absolute master of sexy subtlety. While other divas have to hit you with giant explosions, an army of dancers and a wardrobe that would make a stripper blush, Sade gives a simple twist of the hip that makes the audience explode and blush. Meanwhile Matthewman [[who’s tenor sax has never sounded better), Hale, Denman, Osbourne, Vanden Bossche, Murrell and new addition Ryan Waters are alternately smoldering and boiling hot. Their playing is seamlessly married to an interactive multimedia show that acts as a living music video. The effect of which is absolutely dazzling.

Cherish The Day is the group’s good night kiss and like the best dates of your life you feel exhausted but still wanting more. This group better not even think of doubling the time between our next meeting. We, the audience, can’t take it.

The Set List:

Soldier of Love
Your Love is King
Skin
Kiss of Life
Love is Found
In Another Time
Smooth Operator
Jezebel
Bring Me Home
Is It a Crime
Love is Stronger Than Pride
All About Our Love
Paradise
Nothing Can Come Between Us
Morning Bird
King of Sorrow
Sweetest Taboo
The Moon & The Sky
Pearls
Ordinary Love
By Your Side
ENCORE: Cherish the Day

pics, concert video and more info here:
http://www.sade.com/us/news/

RossHolloway
08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Great review. I'm so sorry I missed her two shows here in Atlanta.

tsull1
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
What a great review, thanks! I still haven't seen her, but must soon. You're right, the slow delay on albums and concerts just makes fans want the music more. And yes, her sexuality doesn't have to be blatant, it's very sensual and sexy. If you're attractive and sexy you don't have to scream it, you just are.

You Chicagoites [[yes, you too, Paladin) are killing me -- one great concert after another. I can't take it anymore! The typical nighit in the Chidrummer and/or Paladin household:

Chi or Paladin: "Honey,hurry up or we won't make the concert."
Wife/significant other: "Which one?"
Chi or Paladin: "Sade."
Wife or significant other: "Oh, that's right, I almost forgot, I was too busy thinking about the Earth, Wind, and Fire, concert were going to next weekend."
Chi or Paladin: "That's right, but don't forget about The Whispers at mid-week."

Ugh! I can't move due to job circumstances, but you guys are killing me. I gotta get to a soulful city.

ms_m
08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Great review Chi...I love the idea of the bare stage...no distractions...less is more and all that jazz!!!!

marv2
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Great review ChiDrummer really nice and thank you. Sade? Let's just say that she and I are estranged at the moment. At least that's how I feel hehehehehe....

You see, I was one of those people that went out in late 1984 and bought the first album. I took it home and played it everyday for about a week. I raved and raved to just about anyone who would listen, that "Sade was the next big thing!" and she was! I followed along and bought each album as soon as it dropped up until about 1990 or so.......then the long wait! The waiting was killing me. I was ready to pay whatever they wanted for concert tickets in those days, but it never happened at least where I was.

They began advertising her concerts for here in New York like last summer! I was like "HA! Wake me when she gets here...." A lot could happen in a year and I couldn't be certain that I will not have misplaced tickets bought that far in advance. Still, I love Sade's music. Sadly I will never see them in person.

uptight
08-08-2011, 09:15 PM
This is a well written review of their show, Chidrummer! I've seen them at least twice over the years. Maybe I will get to see 'em this time around.

chidrummer
08-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Thank you all. If I'd known they were cool with cameras in the house I'd have taken some shots.

Tsull1, I'm here to make feel even WORSE!! During that same night [[Saturday) George Duke, David Sanborn and Marcus Miller were playing two shows at Park West. Cee Lo Green, My Morning Jacket and Eminem were all playing Lollapalooza in Grant Park. The Foo Fighters were at Metro and Itzhak Perlman was conducting the CSO at Ravina.

God, I love summers here

tsull1
08-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I would've loved George Duke and Sanborn ... stop it Chi! :cool:

marv2
08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I would've loved George Duke and Sanborn ... stop it Chi! :cool:

Now those two should be here in NEW YORK!

chidrummer
08-08-2011, 11:02 PM
You know, I'd forgotten to mention how well John Legend and his band played the opening set.

That's somehow typical of the dilemma facing today's musicians. They used to say Madonna had a whole career between Michael Jackson records [[Thriller and Bad). The same could be truly said about John Legend. Back in 2001, Legend was still playing local clubs in Philly and had just self released a live CD. He's now won several Grammy's played and sung on a variety of major releases by his contemporary artists, released four of his own CD which have gone Gold and Platinium. He's even been on Sesame Street for God's sake! This cat should be a household name.

Unfortunately he's a symbol of the fragmentation that is today's music business. The United Center seats 23,500 for concerts. When John and his band took the stage, just after 7:30, the house was only two thirds full. That means almost eight thousand people couldn't be bothered to show up on time, at an average ticket price of $89, to see one of the industry's best new songwriters.

Their lost.

Legend and company put on a one hour set that was better than many bands at twice the price. The rhythm section was ultra tight. His three background singers were channeling The Supremes with their choreographed movements and impeccable harmony. His horn section was top notch. But it was Legend himself that was the big surprise. This guy really knows how to work an audience. He was playful, fun, sexy and above all very entertaining. Sadly, aside from Green Light and Ordinary People the crowd just didn't know enough of John's music to really appreciate him. I can't help thinking he was just born too late. Had he been born a generation earlier, I'm sure he'd be well on the way to icon status.

chidrummer
08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Sorry marv2 Duke & Co. are headed for the West Coast, they've already played in the east.

paladin
08-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Great review Chi, and Tsull don't be in such a hurry bro, Neither you, me, Chi, GT, or Debra have enough money or time to see all the great acts that "flow" through this city. I tell you its hard as hell sometime just to decide which show to go to. Sade was an exception,,,,,,,,but unfortunately I couldn't make the show. I'll probably be kickin myself for days, I'd miss Lollapolloza because I have an aversion for dense crowds in an outdoor setting and this year there was plenty of rain & mud......plus the city and promoters have really branched out and you can pick any part of the city and suburbs to jam. Its unreal.......so if you got an unlimited bank account or one of them radioactive Visa's or American Express come on down.......

tsull1
08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Sade and John Legend are going to be kind of in my area, Portland/Seattle, still an hour flight or 500-mile [[one-way) drive for me. Can't make either date. I am going to Hall and Oates in Portland over Labor Day, which should be fun.

Just having fun with Chi and Paladin. Yes, it's too expensive to hit every act coming to the Windy City, but I do envy your concert options.

marv2
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Sade and John Legend are going to be kind of in my area, Portland/Seattle, still an hour flight or 500-mile [[one-way) drive for me. Can't make either date. I am going to Hall and Oates in Portland over Labor Day, which should be fun.

Just having fun with Chi and Paladin. Yes, it's too expensive to hit every act coming to the Windy City, but I do envy your concert options.

John Oates is playing in my little seaside town this week here on Long Island.

paladin
08-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I know T, imagine how I feel when a great concert comes along and I'm all tapped out ?