PDA

View Full Version : UK - Legal change for CD ripping

test

theboyfromxtown
08-03-2011, 04:23 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14372698

jobeterob
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
The world is always changing and it takes time for the law to catch up, more so these days than ever.

Ramone Verona
08-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Me and Mrs. Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum occasionally get ripped; it takes us several days to catch up and recover.
Sigh.

Doug-Morgan
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I sometimes wonder if this issue will ever die. It was first argued in the early days of cassettes.....

ms_m
08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Doug, the problem, there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument....even major labels use illegal file sharing to their advantage to promote songs....but of course it's not openly discussed.

tamla617
08-06-2011, 03:03 PM
i found out that its actually illegal to make copies [[as back up) or load your cd on to a computer.i remember it was ok to record your own lp and singles on to tape.
its also illegal to lend and borrow,re sell.how much control does the industy want?all the 2nd hand shops are as much outside the law as file sharers.along with libraries.just another way to make criminals out of everyone.ker ching!

ms_m
08-06-2011, 03:42 PM
tamla617 that's interesting. Here in the states you can check out LP's Cd's and DVD's from the library.

My biggest pet peeve with all this, the industry tries to pretend they are looking out for artist...BULL....Now there are always exceptions to the rule but a quick and cursory glance on the US Copyright website will show you a large majority of copyrights [[for the popular stuff; old and new) are owned by the major labels. It's THEIR bottom line they are looking out for.

tamla617
08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
ms_m
we can get them from the libraries too.if they're not doing anything illegal [[because its illegal to lend them out)they must be paying the music copywriters something.but most of the people borrowing from the library are copying them.and the copywriters mafia are part of that deal with the libraries.it doesnt make sense to lend out cd's etc knowing fullwell that they will be copied.

i havent got much time with copywrite holders because the artists are not getting their bit and its them we want to listen to,them that made the record what it is,them that [[in some cases)dying with out much in the bank.

ms_m
08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
i havent got much time with copywrite holders

LOL....I'm afraid we have to part company here because many artists are copyright holders. I wish more would become copy write holders or at least learn how to negotiate for a piece of the pie.

Tamla67, many , many years ago, Frank Sinatra tried to get artist united so they could fight for a piece of the action if they were not writers or holding on to their copyrights. [[many gave them away for Cadillacs) For numerous reasons, he wasn't successful and yes as a result, some are penniless.

I'm not going to go into it more than that because I've had this argument on SDF and I'm not going down that road again...but I do take offense with major companies trying to pretend they care about artist when in reality they don't. [[with a few exceptions) I also have a pet peeve with artists that don't LEARN the business of music....shrugs.

tamla617
08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
ms_m
i think we are on the same side as far as copywright holders go.
if the copywrite holder is the artist,thats ok with me.if the copywrite holder has paid the artist the right amount of money.thats good too.[[including the service on the cadillacs!)

all the others can take a hike!

ms_m
08-07-2011, 05:05 PM
LOL...pretty much sums it up:cool: