PDA

View Full Version : How to convert stereo recordings to mono

test

rovereab
08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I wonder if any SDFers can help me with this please....

I generally do not like the approach used in the 60s to some stereo recordings with voices in one channel and instruments in the other, e.g. early Beatles recordings and Mamas & Papas recordings.

For me this is made slightly worse by having a hearing problem in one ear whereby some frequencies are compromised - I sometimes get a very strange stereo image when using headphones lol.

Ideally, for those songs with drastic separation across the channels, I'd like to turn them into mono before say adding them to my iTunes library.

Any ideas on how to do this please?

Thanks.

Eamonn

soulster
08-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Good news! Those so-called stereo recordings were never meant to be heard that way. They were supposed to be mono. The only reason they released those in two-track is because the public wanted them.

Before I offer suggestions, it would help to know what software you are using.

Doug-Morgan
08-02-2011, 01:53 PM
A jack [[or cables) to turn a stereo output feed into a mono one is an easy fix. Should be able to find one at Radio Shack, assuming you can find anyone there a) over the age of 17 and b) who knows what mono is.

soulster
08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
It's better to sum with software rather than a "Y" jack.

Doug-Morgan
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Never had a problem with it, but I can see why. I would assume at some times one would have issues with balance......

rovereab
08-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I would prefer to sum the specific tracks with software before loading to my iTunes library otherwise I would be plugging and unplugging a Y jack.

Soulster - I would welcome suggestions on software to process stereo to mono please.

Eamonn

soulster
08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
The reason you don't want to use a Y connector is because of phase issues within the recording, the cartridge/alignment, or the gear. It's better to correct any phase issues with software, or, if you are recording a mono record or tape, to pick one channel or the other.

If you want to convert a stereo into mono, remember that the balance will still be off if you attempt to do so. Not only that, you will still likely have phase issues, as many stereo recordings are either, or have elements in it that are out of phase.