PDA

View Full Version : Motown's Original Postman

test

MadLad
08-02-2011, 05:43 AM
my friend Dillion Gorman whos the son of Freddie Gorman of the Originals is working on a movie about his fathers life. Heres the teaser...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kARK2zLpFw&feature=share

milven
08-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I did not realize that one of the Originals wrote songs for Motown way back then. Just read up on him and he wasn't even credited on the original record. Interesting story. The movie clip looks interesting. Hope it actually gets made and does not wind up in the twilight zone with the Flo Ballad movie and the Supremes Reunion movie, IN THE NAME OF LOVE

marv2
08-02-2011, 07:01 AM
That was wonderful. I am happy to see that Freddie's story will be told. Thanks MadLad

soulwally
08-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Good luck to Dillion. This should fit right in with those Unsung documentaries, not only Freddie himself but the Originals as a group. Wonder if it will concentrate on the hit acts [[to draw the viewers in) or give a fulsome account of the Originals' career - waiting and hoping, getting a big hit, then the anti-climax of the rest of the Seventies.

theboyfromxtown
08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Looking forward to this too. The Originals performance in Manchester was one of my favourite concerts ever.

I caught a glimpse of Reggie Dozier for the first time and was struck by the resemblance to his brother Lamont Dozier.

paladin
08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Awewsome news......

MotownSteve
08-02-2011, 02:37 PM
The scene in the clip where he talks about how he was delivering mail and a guy started singing 'Please Mr. Postman' reminds me of the scene in Standing in the Shadows of Motown where Alan Slutsky talks about how he and Robert White entered a restaurant in Los Angeles and 'My Girl' was playing.

macuncle
08-08-2011, 12:57 AM
It is truly amasing how Gorman says "I wrote Please Mr. Postman". No, he "collaborated" on the lyrics. The song was brought to them [[Bateman, Holland, Gorman) by "Casinyets" aka The Marvelettes; written by William Garrett of Inkster, Mi. and re-written by Georgia Dobson of the Casinyets. I believe Gorman only said he wrote it because he did not share in the royalties generated by "Please Mr. Postman".

Ramone Verona
08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Didn't Katherine Anderson write in her and Marc Taylor's book about a song she [[Katherine) wrote post-Marvelettes that went on to do well for Gladys Knight; and Katherine was not credited or paid?

reese
08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Didn't Katherine Anderson write in her and Marc Taylor's book about a song she [[Katherine) wrote post-Marvelettes that went on to do well for Gladys Knight; and Katherine was not credited or paid?

She was referring to I DON'T WANT TO DO WRONG.

Catherine did receive credit, but so did Gladys, Pips Bubba and William, and Johnny Bristol. Catherine's position is that she basicially wrote the song, and sang it to William as she heard it, since she couldn't write music. William has said that he started writing the song back in the 10th grade, and got hung up on lyrics and later, the rest of the credited writers helped finish it.

Ramone Verona
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Too bad, since she said the experience made her turn away from "writing".

milven
08-13-2011, 11:07 AM
In another thread, there is an interview with Gladys Horton in which she states that Freddie Gorman did not write the song. It was written by William Garrett and Georgiana Tillman.

http://mickeynold.blogspot.com/2011/...ys-horton.html

theboyfromxtown
08-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Milvern

I think you made a mistake with Tillman - I heard Georgia Dobbins

milven
08-13-2011, 02:37 PM
You are right. It was Georgia Dobbins. I wonder what, if anything, Freddie Gorman actually contributed to the song.