PDA

View Full Version : Why did R&B/soul have to get horrible after the mid 1980's?

test

homebody
07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I have no issue with hip hop but its like in order to get a hit you have to have a rapper on a R&B track and vice versa,rappers rap more about things that weren't what rap was meant for.I like soul music like Al Green although I think Motown had the best kind of Rhythm and blues I really didn't like Bobby Brown,Al b sure or later on TLC cause everybody wants to look hard and like a thug which think this trend was mainly started by Jodeci and R.Kelly now females want male singers who look like rappers but do you think there is any way this trend could have been avoided it was called contemporary R&B but I did like some early to mid 80's but later it kind of got more hip hop sounding new jack swing.Nowadays you cant tell which genre is which but could this have been avoided if more soul singers were still around?

ceasar
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Hello homebody,
I'm glad that you bought up the topic about apperance.
I for one don"t like this new wave hip hop dressing.
But that is I guess the happening thing.
I look at the award shows, and watch some of the artist go up to get their awards,
All I can say is my goodness.
We [[ THE TYMES ) still try to keep our imagae together.
We have a tailor here in PHILA. that keeps us looking good.
Even if it is just a top and pants it came from him.
If, on SEPT. 18th on PBS you will see what I mean.
We taped a special from CEASAR'S in ATLANTIC CITY.
If you get a chance, check us out, we open up the show.
CEASAR
THE
ORIGINAL
TYMES

paladin
07-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Welcome homebody, No offense but I think your post is confusing and conflicted. I respect your opinion, I just don't know what it is.......lets try this again....

daddyacey
07-29-2011, 03:39 AM
First of all , like it or not ....we are and have become what we used to call back in da day....."The Establishment". We took things to another level ,and the older generation thought we were out of our minds. We wore our hair long , we made our music Blues ,Soul ,Jazz, Classical ,International,Country, Black/White a genre called POP ,that in turn spun off other genres. Our generation [[from 1945-1960) have changed the world dramatically). Made comic book shizzit like Iron Man ,Bat Man , Fantastic 4 ,both technically credible and VISUALLY credible. Star Trek communicators .....now real life cell phones.
TRI-CORDERS are a reality today. Remember that watch Dick Tracy had with the screen and shii in it that you could talk to other people on. Can you admit that at 10 years old you didnt dream that you could have a device like a cell phone at 10 years old. Imagine having a cell phone back in 1960 or 65 at 10 to 12 years old. Yeahhh boy!!!!!!!! 200 channels on T.V. instead of 2-13 ,in color not Black and White , that didn't go off with the Star Spangled Banner at 2:00 am , cartoons at all hours of the day or night. We would have been out of our minds , and thats why kids are the way they are today. They are born into our world ,technically and in ethic's wise not like the world we were born in. I.M.O. that's what we have to understand. No wonder......................

paladin
07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I didn't have time last night so to clarify:

Why did R&B/soul have to get horrible after the mid 1980's?

DaddyAcey cites change, cause and effect......future is now lol.....

I have no issue with hip hop but its like in order to get a hit you have to have a rapper on a R&B track and vice versa,rappers rap more about things that weren't what rap was meant for.

Thats a slippery slope if you ask me and had me puzzled....for instance rappers have been rapping about everything under the sun since its inception from Santa Claus to moonshots......?????????

I like soul music like Al Green although I think Motown had the best kind of Rhythm and blues I really didn't like Bobby Brown,Al b sure or later on TLC cause everybody wants to look hard and like a thug which think this trend was mainly started by Jodeci and R.Kelly

I would disagree with that, theres an entire generation of artists who present themselves in a manner that was totally opposite of Motown/Philly and it certainly didn't start with R Kelly or Jodeci........

now females want male singers who look like rappers but do you think there is any way this trend could have been avoided it was called contemporary R&B but I did like some early to mid 80's but later it kind of got more hip hop sounding new jack swing.Nowadays you cant tell which genre is which but could this have been avoided if more soul singers were still around?

The unnamed soul singers you mentioned were still around per se, but the rest of your statement seems at best conflicted, I could assume that I know what you're actually talking about but I'd rather have you explain it better so I understand.

This is what I gleaned from your post:

You don't like rap but you like hip hop ?
You don't like the appearance of modern R&B artists?
You don't like Al B Sure, Bobby Brown & TLC, R Kelly and Jodeci ?
You Like Al Green and Motown ?
You don't like female singers who have rap artists appear on their tracks or videos?
You like some 80's music but dislike other eighties music that fits into one of the categories above ?

Recently we have discussed the impact of hip-hop on traditional R & B and theres a very recent thread on New Jack Swing ? You may want to take a look at those ...

Kdubya

MIKEW-UK
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Never heard of him, but clearly a colossus in the USA. Caesar, I'm with you, DON'T CHANGE YOUR STYLE TO THIS!!
belt/belt/
Noun: A strip of leather or other material worn around the waist or across the chest, esp. in order to support clothes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2020322/Soulja-Boy-splashes-55m-private-jet-21st-milestone.html

arrr&bee
07-30-2011, 06:11 PM
hello homebody,
i'm glad that you bought up the topic about apperance.
I for one don"t like this new wave hip hop dressing.
But that is i guess the happening thing.
I look at the award shows, and watch some of the artist go up to get their awards,
all i can say is my goodness.
We [[ the tymes ) still try to keep our imagae together.
We have a tailor here in phila. That keeps us looking good.
Even if it is just a top and pants it came from him.
If, on sept. 18th on pbs you will see what i mean.
We taped a special from ceasar's in atlantic city.
If you get a chance, check us out, we open up the show.
Ceasar
the
original
tymes

hi ceasar,those youngsters could learn alot from observing legends like the tymes and others who are still with us today,you guys not only sing great but look the part as well,but it's the times we live in but maybe the day will come when once again singers will actually sing and dress too,we can only hope..keep on keeping on ceasar and setting the example,your fan always,jai.

tsull1
07-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Where I think the confusion is, is that society puts all black music into one big pot. Hey, soul music is blues which in turn is rap. Uh, no, just like rock isn't folk for white music. There are many forms of jazz such as traditional, smooth, fusion, dixieland, big band, etc. They're not all the same.

Hey, I even bought the b.s., thinking rap [[which I really don't like) was bringing down soul. Actually, they're two different genres and once I got past that I could just hunt for newer soul artists of today.

I think the 90's, however, let rap dominate the music scene so much that good soul was either not being produced much or buried. Today, I've found some great stuff like Kings Go Forth, Sharon Jones, Mayer Hawthorne, etc. I don't like it as much as my Motown, Philly, Stax collection, but I like it ... a lot.

For people who do like rap, there's a wide variety to choose from and I'm guessing there are even sub-genres of rap.

I just don't browse rap at the record store and find the soul. But society has told us all black music belongs in one pot, which is stupid. They don't do that for anyone else.

soulster
07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Where I think the confusion is, is that society puts all black music into one big pot.

I'm glad someone else recognizes this. If the artist has a black face, they just throw it all in one big lump, unless it's jazz.