PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson : Interview DELUXE!!!!!!

test

marv2
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I am telling you all. you don't want to miss this interview! It is absolutely AMAZING! I will warn you however, it is very LONG filled with a lot of Mary's and the Supremes music. She talks about EVERYTHING!!!! It is also VERY recent as she mentions the Misicordia University Gown Exhibit and her stint in Vegas at the Riveria! Check it out!!!!

http://harmonystreet.webstarts.com/mary_wilson.html

RossHolloway
07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Did Berry Gordy really reject Aretha Franklin as a recording artist?

marv2
07-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Did Berry Gordy really reject Aretha Franklin as a recording artist?

Yes he did! He was however interested in her sister, Erma and recording her at Motown.

luke
07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
I read he was more interested in Erma.

marv2
07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I read he was more interested in Erma.

Erma was hot in those days in more ways than one! hehehehehe......

marv2
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Mary Live in Vegas!!!

Roberta75
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Mary Live in Vegas!!!

That photo isn't from the Riviera. Where was this taken and how old is it?

marv2
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
That photo isn't from the Riviera. Where was this taken and how old is it?

Excuse me? I am going to tell you this one last time. I don't need to lie. Go here, scroll 1/5 of the way down the page and click on the picture:

http://marywilsonworld.com/

luke
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Whats with this person? The board had gotten so nice for awhile. Thx Marv for interview. I could only get half way thru it. Any intersting info?

Roberta75
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Excuse me? I am going to tell you this one last time. I don't need to lie. Go here, scroll 1/5 of the way down the page and click on the picture:

http://marywilsonworld.com/

I have been to the Riviera and that is not their stage. I think the wrong photo was mistakenly uploaded.

Roberta75
07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Whats with this person? The board had gotten so nice for awhile. Thx Marv for interview. I could only get half way thru it. Any intersting info?

This person has a name. That was exceedingly rude.

marv2
07-27-2011, 06:56 PM

I really don't know what is with this person other than constantly following my every post with a weak-kneed jab of some sort. But anyway, the interview is probably close to 3 hours long. She talks about RTL, Berry, The tour with Rolling Stone Bill Wyman, Florence, growing up in Detroit with Flo and Diane. She talks about the Primettes more than I have ever heard speak of them. She covers so, so many subjects to list here at the moment.

stalebagel
07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Marv:
Thanks for sharing this. Always great to hear from Mary who, unlike some people who apparently now post on this forum, has always been a class act and a capital L Lady. Mary is a true treasure.
Al

marv2
07-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Marv:
Thanks for sharing this. Always great to hear from Mary who, unlike some people who apparently now post on this forum, has always been a class act and a capital L Lady. Mary is a true treasure.
Al

You're welcome Al. It really is a great, entertaining and informative interview.

jillfoster
07-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Yes he did! He was however interested in her sister, Erma and recording her at Motown.
I always liked Erma's voice better, for whatever reason.

marv2
07-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I always liked Erma's voice better, for whatever reason.

Jill if you get the chance to listen to the interview, you will be surprised by all of the areas the interviewer touches upon and Mary's responses. Be prepared to relax, get a drink or whatever because it is a quite lengthy interview. Almost like sitting around someone's living room having an extended conversation.

randy_russi
07-28-2011, 09:53 AM
I believe the reason he was interested in Erma and not Aretha is because in those days you wanted Top 40 Radio to play
your records. Aretha sounded too gospel for the market at the time. Erma sounded more "pop".

marybrewster
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
She is currently working on a fourth book, which will be a coffee table hardcover featuring the gowns, history and legacy of the Supremes.

This has been long rumored; I hope this comes to fruition! I would LOVE it!

She is currently recording another album due for release in 2010

How old is this interview? I can't wait until "Clarity" is released! Yay!

reese
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I believe the reason he was interested in Erma and not Aretha is because in those days you wanted Top 40 Radio to play
your records. Aretha sounded too gospel for the market at the time. Erma sounded more "pop".

According to Billy Davis [[Berry's songwriting partner), they wanted to sign Aretha to a deal. She would become a teenage star singing their compositions. But her father, Rev. C.L. Franklin, thought she was too young at the time. But he consented to them recording Erma, who went on to do early versions of YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES and ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY.

marv2
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
She is currently working on a fourth book, which will be a coffee table hardcover featuring the gowns, history and legacy of the Supremes.

This has been long rumored; I hope this comes to fruition! I would LOVE it!

She is currently recording another album due for release in 2010

How old is this interview? I can't wait until "Clarity" is released! Yay!

This interview is from June 18, 2011 so it is from just last month.

It [[the coffee table book), is not a rumor. Two years ago Mary told me that she is working on the coffee book. I shared that information here and a few people that use to be members here didn't believe me and told me that I was lying.

The CD, "Clarity" is scheduled for release in the U.S. in 5 weeks.

blueskies
07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm excited to hear that "Clarity" will be released in 5 weeks. Marv, do you know if it will be available on Mary's web site or commercially [[i.e. amazon)? Thanks.

marv2
07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm excited to hear that "Clarity" will be released in 5 weeks. Marv, do you know if it will be available on Mary's web site or commercially [[i.e. amazon)? Thanks.

I'll ask her when I see her tonight and let you know. Thanks.

Roberta75
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I'll ask her when I see her tonight and let you know. Thanks.

Oh please let us know what Mary says about the release date for her Clarity CD. Would you mind asking her when it will be in itunes and if she's doing Letterman, Conan or ET to promote Clarity. Please tell Miss Wilson we all send her good wishes for tonight.

Thank you marv2.

Roberta

skooldem1
07-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I didn't realize Mary's Vegas show had all the lights and dancers. Looks like a big production. I may have to check her out in Vegas next time she is there.

marv2
07-30-2011, 12:24 PM
According to Billy Davis [[Berry's songwriting partner), they wanted to sign Aretha to a deal. She would become a teenage star singing their compositions. But her father, Rev. C.L. Franklin, thought she was too young at the time. But he consented to them recording Erma, who went on to do early versions of YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES and ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY.

Reese, I read that too somewhere, I just can't remember at the moment. I do remember that Rev. Franklin was against Aretha signing with Motown but thought that Columbia Records was better suited to introduce Aretha to the World.

reese
07-30-2011, 12:29 PM
I read it in Mark Bego's book on Aretha, which included an interview with Billy Davis.

stephanie
07-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Marv thanks for the interview. Mary just keeps going she must have a good agent.

marv2
07-30-2011, 04:01 PM
I read it in Mark Bego's book on Aretha, which included an interview with Billy Davis.

Ta DA! I have that book also. That must be where I read. Thanks Reese.

luke
07-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Im surprised Berry didnt go for Carolyn as I recall she had Dianaish like voice.

marv2
07-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Im surprised Berry didnt go for Carolyn as I recall she had Dianaish like voice.

All of the Franklins could sing. Back around this time, the very early 60's, Diana's voice was not selling records at Motown and I don't believe many people were that impressed with her high-pitch, whiney sound by then. Carolyn was a great singer and songwriter.

Roberta75
07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I didn't realize Mary's Vegas show had all the lights and dancers.

LOL. It didn't skooldem1. Mary performed at the old La Cage theatre at the Riviera Hotel which is now called the Starlite Theatre.

The Starlite theatre seats 600 and although Mary gave a fabulous show there wasn't a light show and there were no dancers.

The photo that marv2 posted above is actually Cher at the Colieseum and not Mary at the Riviera. [[see link below)

http://web.mac.com/bazhalpin/Gallery/Cher.html#38

skooldem1
07-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Well to be fair. That photo was uploaded on the Mary Wilson website- and I might add, its very hard to tell who it is. This seems like a case of shooting the messenger, when in fact the blame should go to who ever put that picture on her website.

Roberta75
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Well to be fair. That photo was uploaded on the Mary Wilson website- and I might add, its very hard to tell who it is. This seems like a case of shooting the messenger, when in fact the blame should go to who ever put that picture on her website.

I don't think there needs to be any blame skooldem1 but the photo I commented on was the one posted by marv2. I knew as soon as I saw it that it wasn't the Riviera stage. Whoever uploaded the photo to the Mary Wilson website should really take it down as there are probably royalties attached to the Cher photo.

skooldem1
07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Mary's show seems perfect for Vegas. Old timer with plenty of glitz and talent. How was the attendance for her shows?

jobeterob
07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
What's all the deviousness around pictures about?

It doesn't change the fact of who appeared where.

Roberta75
07-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Mary's show seems perfect for Vegas. Old timer with plenty of glitz and talent. How was the attendance for her shows?

According to a friend of mine who saw the show twice, Mary put on a great show. Attendance was good. She didn't sell out but he said it was between half and 3/4 full on both of the nights that he attended.

Roberta75
07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
What's all the deviousness around pictures about?

I'm not sure anyone was being devious jobeterob, I think it was a simple mistake. A photo claiming to be Mary Wilson live in Vegas was actually a photo of Cher at the Coliseum in Las Vegas.

randy_russi
08-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Apparently Mary performed on Treasure Island, off Florida's west coast, this past
Saturday night, July 30th. We only heard about it a day or two before so didn't
have plans to be there.

chestersong
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
talk about false advertising. i learned absolutely nothing new from this yawner of an interview and that picture was so obviously false of "Mary Wilson" on-stage. and the thread starter is always barking that he knows Mary so well and is such a fan. i sure see what so many others have stated down through time.

smark21
08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
talk about false advertising. i learned absolutely nothing new from this yawner of an interview and that picture was so obviously false of "Mary Wilson" on-stage. and the thread starter is always barking that he knows Mary so well and is such a fan. i sure see what so many others have stated down through time.

The Cher in performance in Vegas picture was initially posted at a site set up to promote Mary's soon to be released single and album. Someone should get in touch with whomever administers that site and let them know they are misrepresenting Mary and to take down the picture and substitute a picture of Mary in performance. Mary is a good looking woman, so it would certainly not be a visually unappealling picture.