PDA

View Full Version : Four Tops Live! at the Roostertail [[1966) Questions

test

stevie
08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Just got a replacement copy of the original Four Tops Live! album having lost mine from childhood many years ago. The liner notes, by Scott Regen, say that during rehearsal the afternoon the album was recorded..."you could hear the Earl Van Dyke band playing and the Four Tops singing". Does anyone know who played in the band that night? I assume that since these shows were in Detroit it's conceivable that some of the Funk Brothers were there. Also, who are the two ladies on stage with the Tops on the back cover photo? Thanks for any info you can provide.

jeff9nyc
08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Mary Wilson and Diana Ross of the Supremes. Flo is up there too if you look carefully.

marv2
08-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Marvin Gaye and the Everly Brothers were up there with them as well. EVERYBODY was in the audience that night! Who the band members were that particular night is a hard one.

marv2
08-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Here's a photo from that evenings show:

stevie
08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Marv2. I've never seen that photo before. Mary Wilson is a gorgeous woman...I've never seen a bad picture of her!

marv2
08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
You will not get any arguments here!

RossHolloway
08-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Who is the man that Berry is talking to?

marv2
08-30-2010, 12:52 AM
That's William "Mickey" Stevenson that Berry is talking to in the photo.

hwume
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Original tape boxes from the Motown Mondays recordings including the Four Tops show have listed the "Earl Van Dyke Group" as one of the opening acts. One of the folks who were there and sometimes check in at SDF hopefully can confirm who may have been in the group with EVD, but the set-up usually included Robert White on guitar, perhaps Uriel Jones on drums. Better to be certain, though.

P.S. That photo? Seems like Berry Gordy is intently watching the stage show and Mickey Stevenson is trying to get a word in with the boss.

RossHolloway
09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
HW do we know all of the artists who performed during the various Motown Mondays? And besides the shows that ended up on LP, do we know if any of the tapes still exist? I know on the old boards I believe you had mentioned that the Marvelettes performance was edited for radio, but that there wasn't much there. Do we know of who else performed and was recorded?