PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross - diana, the Terrana mix

test

soulster
07-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I played this album the other day on a car trip, and I suddenly realized while listening to "I'm Coming Out" that Ross, by having Russ remix the album, gave it more it more of a Chic sound than even Chic did.

I know the album, as produced by Nile N' Nard, was supposed to be somewhat experimental and loose, but Chic's productions prior to that were very produced, or tight. If the Bob Clearmountain mix had been released, it would have been less like Chic, despite the louder strings and extended guitar parts. What Russ did was actually restore the Chic sound. The best thing I think he did was use a different vocal track for "I'm Coming Out", the one that sounds more restrained.

I still like both versions of the album, but I just wanted to get this out there.

Damn! Is this the second Ross thread i've ever started here? I'm scared!

skooldem1
07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I agree. Ther Terrana mixes were tighter. Usually CHIC productions were always tight, but the diana project sounded almost unfinished. I'm glad for the remix. Never really thought about it, but it did sound more "CHIC".

rovereab
07-26-2011, 02:15 AM
I have never understood how the Chic mix of My Old Piano could have ever been considered complete - to me it sounds dire. The Terrana mix is much more polished.

soulster
07-26-2011, 03:40 AM
My favorite Chic mixes:

Tenderness
My Old Piano
Now That You're Gone
Give Up [[close to the same mix as the Terrana mix).

I'd prefer the Chic mix of "Friend To Friend" if it just weren't for that annoying guitar with the delay on it.

And, I still don't like how the mastering engineer compressed or slashed the bottom end.

jobeterob
07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
From the day I first heard the Chic mixes, all I've ever thought is "thank goodness for what Diana and Russ did".

soulster
07-27-2011, 08:27 PM
The Chic mixes aren't bad at all. I really think they weren't "cooked" enough.