PDA

View Full Version : Irma Thomas at the Barbican

test

theboyfromxtown
07-24-2011, 06:20 PM
What a fabulous show. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

randy_russi
07-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Where is the Barbican? I haven't seen Irma in years, but she is a fabulous performer. I used to go to New Orleans where
her and her husband, Emile Jackson, owned their own club--the Lion's Den. We had great fun there. I know they lost
quite a bit due to the hurricane Katrina, but hopefully all is well now.

theboyfromxtown
07-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Randy

The Barbican is in the City Of London.

Irma was warm, inviting and a terrific singer. She has a "cheat sheet" which is a book full of the lyrics of all her songs. So she asked what the audience wanted to sing and then sung them. And if the band didn't know, she just sung it a capella

A beautiful voice. I thoroughly enjoyed it...one of my favourite concerts.

randy_russi
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Great! Thanks for responding. Did she bring any of her own musicians with her?

motown_david
07-26-2011, 07:57 AM
I saw her in Gateshed in the UK where she performed the night before her Barbican appearance, John. As I told you, Irma is the BEST performer I've ever seen live in my life and I've seen more than a few artists both here and the in the States. Until Saturday night that number 1 position was held by Gladys Knight. Her 7 musicians that she brought over complemented her singing wonderfully. She had her "Cheat cheat" book with her which contains all the songs she's recorded in an over 50 year career. It was an obvious choice but I requested Breakaway and she sang it just for me on the front row[[LOL) She sang every song that you would have expected her to sing although Middnight Train To Georgia and Summertime were great surprises for me.
And Irma is such a gracious lady. She signed my records for me [["Oh you have the original 45s," she commented), plus a couple of photos, as well as having her photo taken with me. She looked fab - I looked 103 years old!
What a night!

randy_russi
07-26-2011, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed reading about your experience with Irma. She's always been like that.
In New Orleans she would sing anything requested. Nice, nice lady!!! By the way,
one time at the Lion's Den her sound was so good, my friend who went with me
thought she was lip-syncing on the first song.

MIKEW-UK
07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Reviews of London concert:

http://www.therockclubuk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=479:irma-thomas-soul-rebels-brass-band-barbican-london-24-july&catid=17:live-reviews&Itemid=23

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/462fc554-b83a-11e0-8d23-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1TK3jhhZD

theboyfromxtown
07-27-2011, 04:32 PM
We shouted for Take A Look, It's Raining and someone asked for a real obscure one that Irma sang a ccapella.

Thanks for the reviews Mike....