PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to Ken Sands

test

ralpht
07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Legendary United Sound and Motown engineer, Ken Sands, is checking in with us. Ken also contributed to the construction of the Tera Shirma console. An all around talented guy and old friend. Ken told me he would be checking in this evening, so if you have any questions, start posting them, or at least extend a warm Soulful Detroit welcome to this very talented individual. Welcome to the forum, Ken.

chidrummer
07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
You are ever so welcome to the forum, Mr. Sands. A few opening questions:

1. The sound of United Sound vs Hitsville [[studio A)
2. Were the facilities similar?
3. Why there's been no effort to preserve US?
4. What did you change and/or like best about the Tera Shirma console?

ms_m
07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi Ken and welcome to the loony bin....have fun while you're here and it's great to have you in our little world!

theboyfromxtown
07-21-2011, 06:08 PM
What's Going On??.

Welcome to you Mr Sands

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Wow you are testing my "grey matter!! United sound 1974 version was more like the large Westlake Studio sound, kind of "dead" with very little if any "room" sound to it. There was a lot of acoustic deadening on the walls cause it was also used as a "sound stage" for car shoots in the olden days. Hitsville studio "A" had a "tight" acoustic signature because the room was very small and the wall treatment broke up the "standing waves" so the return waves were heavily "damped"..
When my boss Don Davis left the music studio business the upkeep went down hill because not many groups were into "studio" recording any more.So United Sound went wanting for a new owner.
If memory serves Tera Shirma had an Audio Designs console with Bobs "class "A" amplifiers that had great transient response and frequency response but had noisy germanium transistors,...I would have changed them to low noise silicon units.

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome! We old guys have to conserve our energy so be gentle,[[heh-heh)...OK??

ralpht
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Silicon? Ken, you're telling me I had the option of low noise silicon? Actually, the amplifiers were from Ed Wolfrum, if I remember correctly. Anyway...good to see you, Ken.

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks!! I have lived in a "looney bin" most of my life,..... so I am very comfortable!!

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Ralph!! Ed Wolfrum,...huh?? Well be that as it may it is good to be here Ralph,[[its good to be anywhere,Ralph)!!
Did I ask how Russ is??

smooth
07-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome Mr Ken Sands to Soulful Detroit.
Do you remember any sessions done at United sound that in your opinion were just exceptional.
Who was your favorite vocalist and group to record?
Do you prefer Analog sessions of Yesterday to the Pro-Tools Digital sessions of Today?

Smooth

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
What's Going On??.

Welcome to you Mr Sands

Thanks for the hello!!

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I recall doing Jackie Wilsons last album at United in 1975 or so before he passed away,...what a really NICE man he was!! His music was becoming "Motown-ized" again but with a real mellow voice[[due to his age no doubt). He had a new son then with his new wife and he was so happy a man!
My favorite group to record was Gladys and the Pips!! Last worked with them when they went to Buddah records,...we did Midnite Train to Georgia at Artie Fields Studios when I left Motown.
I prefer analog sessions for "warmth of sound" but everybody uses ProTools...They are both OK,...many acts are doing a little "mixture" of both these days...

marv2
07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Hello Ken and indeed welcome! I know this question may not sound serious, but I really would like to know if they really did use a bathroom as a recording booth at Hitsville back in the day or was that more of a myth?

ralpht
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Ken,
Russ is doing well.

Ken Sands
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes that bathroom was behind the racks and is not in use now, back in the "day" we used it to add a demo vocal when cutting rhythm tracks.

marv2
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Yes that bathroom was behind the racks and is not in use now, back in the "day" we used it to add a demo vocal when cutting rhythm tracks.

Ken thank you for taking the time to answer. I have been down in that studio many times AFTER they stop using it and never even thought to look for that famous bathroom! LOL! Thanks again.

MotownSteve
07-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Ken,
Welome aboard.

paladin
07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Welcome Ken, man your brain is about to bust, but I'll throw this one at you anyway. How was it working with Don Davis and what were some of your collaborations?

stephanie
07-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Ken
Welcome to SDF! I have a question for you "What was it like working with Walter Junie Morrison? I know he was a prodigy and could play guitars, drums, bass and you all did something with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra didnt you? I think it was the album his song Tightrope was on. Since you are an engineer I remember him saying both of you did the mixes and I wonder what that was like seeing as though he likes to do everything. Welcome to the board it is an honor. Oh I have always wondered why Junie was not bigger. I know he is known behind the scenes but do you think his taste were ahead of his time?
Stephanie

Ken Sands
07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I worked with Don on "Disco Lady" [[that is my tune title), "You Don't Have to Be A Star", "Brides of Funkenstein," "Junie", and many others. Don is a very precise and gifted producer, not to mention an excellent R & B guitarist. It was a challenge working with him.

Ken Sands
07-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi Stephanie,
Yes, Junie is way ahead of his time. One of the most gifted writers and producers I had ever worked with. We worked together doing the mixes. We were on the same frequency when we were doing the mixes. We heard the same kinds of things at the same time. It was easy mixing with Junie. I believe Junie is just as gifted as Stevie Wonder.
Ken

paladin
07-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks Mr. Sands ever did anything with him and The Dramatics ?

Ken Sands
07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, I worked with the Dramatics in 1974-1975, rhythm tracks, strings and horns, and vocals. Also worked on an album for Jeannie Reynolds, sister of L.J. Reynolds of the Dramatics. We were producing a lot of good sounding product at United Sound. Jim Vitti and I worked long hours there.

paladin
07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Indeed you were. I have one of her Lp's [[may have both) but my favorite was always The Fruit Song taken from Cherries , banana's and other Fine Things.

Ken Sands
07-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I remember that one, yes, Jeannie did a fine job. She was a really talented lady.

ralpht
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Ken,
What are you into these days?

theboyfromxtown
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Mr Sands

What would be some of the sessions that stand out for you?

russ_t
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey Ken ... It has been a very long time since we recked havoc in the studios together! It's great to see you here and I hope all is good with you.
Russ

tamla617
07-27-2011, 05:43 PM
hi ken sands
welcome to sdf.i've just seen your resume!ooh eddie russ! see the light

here's some of yours

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ken+Sands#p=1&t=Credits_All

some good stuff there!

paladin
07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Dam Tamla617, I got to pull out that Eddie Russ, haven't played it in years, and of course Joyride , hmmmm didn't know about Jackie Wilson Chilites cut either wow......!!!

theboyfromxtown
07-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Mr Sands

As you are aware, Motown 45's would often contain a check letter to indicate the persons working on that song. My records indicate your reference as "S", is that correct?

tamla617
07-28-2011, 05:27 PM
paladin
when metal cassette tapes came out in 79/80 the 1st lp i recorded on metal was eddie russ i bought a pioneer equaliser and had me car door skins turn to "liquid" ripples!

paladin
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM
That was a very good album,,,,,,,lol........liquid ripple's oh my goodness......

MIKEW-UK
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Ken , remember this one?

Larry Buford - I Think I'm Gonna Be Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1vnLcMdCus

Ken Sands
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Well Ralph no session work! I am the engineer in charge for The "Detroit Media Services",
our department [[for the City of Detroit) answers to Mayor Bings Office. We transmit channel 10 in Detroit [[Comcast Cable) and provide programming for this channel, and we transmit channel 22 for the Detroit City Council sessions. I oversee four camera/production crews who write, shoot, and edit for air programming relevant to the city of Detroit. I technically oversee the operation of both servers for channels 10 and 22 as well as maintain the equipment for the production crews.
I have worked with Larry Buford on a couple of sides that he has released,"I think I'm Gonna Be Blue" and others.
I am getting ready to go into the studio with my son Brian Shensky to record an album of his original songs, stay tuned!

ralpht
08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi Ken,
Yeah, I thought you were doing media work. Boy, are they lucky to have you.

Recording your son, huh? Does he realize who his engineer is? Another lucky guy.

When you get the final mixes, bring it over to the forum. We can do a little promo.