PDA

View Full Version : Is there an "Unsung" on Jean Terrell/70's Supremes?

test

Jimi LaLumia
07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
..if not, why not?

jobeterob
07-21-2011, 01:35 AM
It seems to me they don't quite fit........even if it is just because the name "Supremes" is very sung as opposed to unsung.

tamla617
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
bump.......

Jimi LaLumia
07-21-2011, 05:26 PM
well, all things considered, in this day and age, Jean Terrell is extremely 'unsung';
the average Motown fan knows Tammi Terrell[[through her Marvin Gaye association) more than they do Jean, and Tammi got an 'unsung'

jobeterob
07-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I do agree with what you say; and general music fans think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love and Ain't No Mountain High Enough with Marvin.

Jimi LaLumia
07-21-2011, 07:04 PM
exactly!..I'm always getting into arguements with morons who think that "Stoned Love" was Ross; and it sounds nothing like her!!!

marv2
07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
I do agree with what you say; and general music fans think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love and Ain't No Mountain High Enough with Marvin.

No they don't! What neighborhood are you talking about? "General music fans" [[whatever that means...), know it was Jean Terrell singing lead on "Stoned Love". Go to Youtube, type in the Supremes "Stoned Love" [[look at any of the videos for that song for starters) and just read..........!

Jimi LaLumia
07-21-2011, 08:40 PM
you,and the rest of us on this board, are not the average, radio listening music fan...c'mon,you're kidding, right?

Roberta75
07-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Jean Terrell has a fabulous voice and the most elegant feet I have ever seen on a woman. I am envious of her feet. I have a photo of Jean in sandals and i would kill for feet like Jean has.

Roberta.

marv2
07-21-2011, 09:13 PM
you,and the rest of us on this board, are not the average, radio listening music fan...c'mon,you're kidding, right?

I am not kidding Jim. I have a clip of The Supremes doing "Stoned Love" up on Youtube that has around 100,000 views [[ the last time I had it up, it got around 175,000) and judging by the comments, they all know it is Jean Terrell singing with Mary and Cindy. Only a very few, uninformed, disinterested Oldies DJ's have made that slip up on the radio as far as I know.........

Now polling the "general public" now about a 40 year old record would prove nothing. When it was new, when it was hot and on the radio, the general public knew that it was not Diana Ross with Mary and Cindy singing Stoned Love that I do know because I was around back then.

marv2
07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Jim! "don't you feel the wind blowin'.......can't you feel it?" LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rglxw5cbZWY

jeff9nyc
07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
No they don't! What neighborhood are you talking about? "General music fans" [[whatever that means...), know it was Jean Terrell singing lead on "Stoned Love". Go to Youtube, type in the Supremes "Stoned Love" [[look at any of the videos for that song for starters) and just read..........!

Marv2...I have to agree with jobetrob on this one. Several people I've come in contact with think it's Diana Ross singing "Stoned Love." I just had to correct a friend a month or so ago. I think that the name Supremes and Diana Ross are so tied that when people hear a song that they recognise by the Supremes they assume it's her.

marv2
07-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Marv2...I have to agree with jobetrob on this one. Several people I've come in contact with think it's Diana Ross singing "Stoned Love." I just had to correct a friend a month or so ago. I think that the name Supremes and Diana Ross are so tied that when people hear a song that they recognise by the Supremes they assume it's her.

Jeff, I believe you, because I know you wouldn't lie to me....BUT that never happened with people I have been in contact in my life here in New York, in Detroit, Philly, Cleveland, Boston etc,etc. The subject never comes up today to be frank, but back when those records were new and on the radio, we all knew it was the "New Supremes" with Jean Terrell. The closest thing I can steer you towards that verifies what I am saying is Youtube and the RECENT comments made about that record by the general public.

marv2
07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
The reason I do not believe there will be an Unsung episode done on the Supremes in the 70's is because they were still "The Supremes" seen and heard all over the World. Besides, they did that episode on Florence Ballard who had the most compelling story by far in terms of the Supremes.

jobeterob
07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Sadly, I also think this is why there won't be an Unsung Supremes ~ for the same reason so many people think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love ~ and that is what Jeff states: the names "Supremes" and "Diana Ross" are too closely associated.

Jimi LaLumia
07-22-2011, 01:04 AM
the names "Supremes" and "Diana Ross" are too closely associated
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and that's how the 70's version winds up being 'unsung'

smark21
07-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Well in that case, then there should be no Unsung devoted to Jean Terrell/70's Supremes as the show is dedicated to featuring acts the public might have forgotten.

marv2
07-22-2011, 08:42 AM
the names "Supremes" and "Diana Ross" are too closely associated
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and that's how the 70's version winds up being 'unsung'

Point taken!!!! Maybe they should give it go. They may be able to educate those folks that Jobeterob and Jeff9nyc referred to, those believing all Supremes songs had Diane on them. Who knows?

marv2
07-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Well in that case, then there should be no Unsung devoted to Jean Terrell/70's Supremes as the show is dedicated to featuring acts the public might have forgotten.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make Smark! Almost every musical act from the 50's, 60's and 70's could now be considered "Unsung" because they are now past their heyday and get limited if any exposure. Many have passed on or retired and the way radio playlists are these days, only a good 20 -25 artists get played over and over. I am talking classic artist at that!

The Supremes with Jean Terrell and the others were still considered the top female music act draw in the 70's. It was Motown that neglected them and refused to no longer promote them. The public was VERY aware of them. They just couldn't always hear or find their records in the stores.

Roberta75
07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
The Supremes with Jean Terrell and the others were still considered the top female music act draw in the 70's. It was Motown that neglected them and refused to no longer promote them. The public was VERY aware of them. They just couldn't always hear or find their records in the stores.

LOL at your "The Supremes with Jean Terrell and the others were still considered the top female music act draw in the 70's" comment. You really need to reread Mary's book Supreme Faith because she tells a totally different story.

jobeterob
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe we are making a case for a 70's Supremes Unsung, styled as such..............especially if the public thinks Diana did all the Jean Terrell songs and because they've always thought Mary Wells was Mary Wilson............so maybe it's a plan.

Roberta............Mary Wilson has already said she disagrees with certain fans..............so, we all indulge in idle chitter chatter here at times!

marv2
07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
exactly!..I'm always getting into arguements with morons who think that "Stoned Love" was Ross; and it sounds nothing like her!!!

That is exactly what they are to argue about something clearly they don't know anything about! Morons.

marv2
07-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Maybe we are making a case for a 70's Supremes Unsung, styled as such..............especially if the public thinks Diana did all the Jean Terrell songs and because they've always thought Mary Wells was Mary Wilson............so maybe it's a plan.

Roberta............Mary Wilson has already said she disagrees with certain fans..............so, we all indulge in idle chitter chatter here at times!

Anyone in the public that thinks Diane sang all of the songs that Jean Terrell sang on are simply STUPID! There was a much publicized farewell of Diane from the Supremes in 1969/70 so, anyone that thinks she stuck around to continue to sing lead for the Supremes must :
1) Got left on the moon by Neil Armstrong
2) Can neither read, write or hear the news
3) Was locked up in solitary confinement or a State Mental Ward for most of the sixties and seventies
4) Are just so dumb and country that you can show them the writing, but you cannot make them read and comprehend anything........LOL!!!!
5) They are just lying to avoid giving the ladies their much deserved credit and to create an argument out of nothing...... So who would care or give much time or thought to people like that?
!
*** All the above also goes for anyone that were over the age of 10 in the 60's and 70's that say they never heard of the Supremes LOL!

Mary also checks with "certain people" for facts that she may not remember...........!

BayouMotownMan
07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I can't see Jean Terrell participating in this

jobeterob
07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Why do you think she would not participate Bayou?

REDHOT
07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I would love to see TVONE do a Unsung,on all The Supremes,Mary,Cindy,Jean,Lynda,Scherrie,and Susaye,from the 70s,what a story that would be,
Please stay positive

marv2
07-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I would love to see TVONE do a Unsung,on all The Supremes,Mary,Cindy,Jean,Lynda,Scherrie,and Susaye,from the 70s,what a story that would be,
Please stay positive

That would be quite a story, but I would much rather see an Unsung done on High Inergy, Rare Earth, The Dramatics, Stargard or Kashif.

BayouMotownMan
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Jean has never participated in anything Supremes related Jobete. I tried to get her for E TRUE HOLLYWOOD DIANA ROSS and Universal has sought her participation in both of the extensive collections they did on the Supremes and Supremes and Four Tops. I also tried to get Jean to comment on her work, but ultimately she declined. There are a lot of reasons for this, and I think she should comment on it rather than I. I think it safe to say that she leaves all Supremes retrospectives to Mary Wilson. After Mary sued Jean, Scherrie and Lynda over the name Supremes, Jean backed away and never came back except for a one-off performance in LA to raise funds for their defense. Mary's case was of course thrown out of court. But it stuck in Jean's throat. She and Mary are friendly again but Jean I think enjoys her retirement and comes out every now and then if she feels like singing again. A great voice horribly misrepresented by Motown.

Jimi LaLumia
07-22-2011, 11:33 PM
as a Broadway show tune states...
All I can say is 'wow'.....WOW!..had no idea..sad..

jobeterob
07-23-2011, 04:28 AM
My sentiments too........sad.

jaybs
07-23-2011, 04:36 AM
No one here in the UK I ever knew confused JEAN with Diana and Stoned Love, the only problem with the original was in Disco's when you had to edit out the intro when lining up to play on 45 as the dance floor would empty, it was Great to play it on air though.

stephanie
07-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I have never in my life heard of anyone thinking that any Jean led song was Diana Ross I dont even hear a resemblance. I think Jean Terrell likes her fans but she doesnt want to get caught up in internet fury or any more arguments over Supreme battles and I cant quite blame her. What a voice Bayouman is right she is someone who should have had a great solo career and a much longer Supremes career. I have to give it to her though she along with the other Supremes [[post Diana) have left a great legacy.

marv2
07-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I have never in my life heard of anyone thinking that any Jean led song was Diana Ross I dont even hear a resemblance. I think Jean Terrell likes her fans but she doesnt want to get caught up in internet fury or any more arguments over Supreme battles and I cant quite blame her. What a voice Bayouman is right she is someone who should have had a great solo career and a much longer Supremes career. I have to give it to her though she along with the other Supremes [[post Diana) have left a great legacy.

I am still trying to figure out where these people that mistake Jean Terrell and her voice for Diana Ross are from? Amazing! LOL!!!!

marv2
07-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Jean has never participated in anything Supremes related Jobete. I tried to get her for E TRUE HOLLYWOOD DIANA ROSS and Universal has sought her participation in both of the extensive collections they did on the Supremes and Supremes and Four Tops. I also tried to get Jean to comment on her work, but ultimately she declined. There are a lot of reasons for this, and I think she should comment on it rather than I. I think it safe to say that she leaves all Supremes retrospectives to Mary Wilson. After Mary sued Jean, Scherrie and Lynda over the name Supremes, Jean backed away and never came back except for a one-off performance in LA to raise funds for their defense. Mary's case was of course thrown out of court. But it stuck in Jean's throat. She and Mary are friendly again but Jean I think enjoys her retirement and comes out every now and then if she feels like singing again. A great voice horribly misrepresented by Motown.

That is not completely accurate....... "Jean has never participated in anything Supremes related
Jobete."

Except when she wants to!

Here Jean is in 2003 with Mary and Cindy at the "Heroes and Legends Awards", in 2002 at the "70's Supremes CD Signing" and in 2005 with Scherrie and Cindy at the "H.E.R.B.I.E Awards"

jobeterob
07-25-2011, 01:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKlXqVVOOIs

Here's one example! LOL

marybrewster
07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Does anyone remember the episode of "Designing Women" when The Supremes [[Charlene, Mary Jo, Suzanne and Julia) sang "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? Funny stuff.

I'd love to see an "Unsung" on Jean Terrell. They could talk about her early career with her brother Ernie [[Tammi's husband.....just kidding), her joining the Supremes, her solo LP, and her time with the FLO's.

jobeterob
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Great idea Mary; it would help end the confusion. And would cause no argument regarding the well known name "Supremes".

And Jean actually had hits in her days with the Supremes, led of course by Stoned Love.

marv2
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Great idea Mary; it would help end the confusion. And would cause no argument regarding the well known name "Supremes".

And Jean actually had hits in her days with the Supremes, led of course by Stoned Love.

I think that is a poor idea [[since Jean did not have much of a solo career before or after the Supremes) But she was a Supreme and she was not technically, "UNSUNG"!

There is no confusion other than with these handful of strange folks that only you seem to know LOL!

Roberta75
07-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Does anyone remember the episode of "Designing Women" when The Supremes [[Charlene, Mary Jo, Suzanne and Julia) sang "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? Funny stuff.

I'd love to see an "Unsung" on Jean Terrell. They could talk about her early career with her brother Ernie [[Tammi's husband.....just kidding), her joining the Supremes, her solo LP, and her time with the FLO's.

Great idea marybrewster.

marv2
07-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Sounds like another of those lowest common denominator types programs. I don't watch that stuff. To do an episode on Jean Terrell /Supremes, would change the whole premise of the "Unsung" series. Maybe they could develop another series of programs or specials involving "Golden Greats from The Past".

These women were not unsung and it is wrong to try to shoe-horn them into a program format where their story DOES NOT fit! simply because the fans want to see them on television.

Jimi LaLumia
07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Jean was UNSUNG by Motown then, and she certainly is UNSUNG now, not even treated as a part of Motown history, including when "The Supremes" were inducted into the Rock & roll Hall Of Fame..

jobeterob
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
While as a Motown fan, I think an Unsung Jean would be great, I think it's a long shot. No Supreme had a solo career that did anything other than Diana; perhaps Scherrie had a small one. So to do an Unsung on Jean, while I'd love it, doesn't make a lot of sense. And then we get back to that Supremes thing ~ and that name doesn't belong in "Unsung".

So, I guess it's Jean or nothing. And I can easily convince myself it's a good idea.

thommg
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I was at the Supremes Convention at the Motown Cafe in NYC [[a year or so before the cafe was closed). The DJ at the cafe played the original Stoned Love and announced that it was Diana Ross and The Supremes. He was quickly shouted down and corrected himself. So, yes, it happens all the time....

luke
07-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Ive never heard of anyone thinking Diana sang Stoned Love. I have heard people confusing who sang Reach Out and Touch and Aint no Mt-thinking it was the Surpemes. Mary made it clear to Jean she regretted including her in lawsuit, but had no choice. Many people feel Jean has had a problem with Lynda, not Mary.

Roberta75
07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Many people feel Jean has had a problem with Lynda, not Mary.

Yet Jean seemed friendly enough with Lynda at the Supremes CD signing back in 2002. The point is NONE of us know who Jean likes or dislikes and at the end of the day it is really none of our business.

marv2
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Jean was UNSUNG by Motown then, and she certainly is UNSUNG now, not even treated as a part of Motown history, including when "The Supremes" were inducted into the Rock & roll Hall Of Fame..

Jimi, that is true to a certain extent, but it has nothing to do with this television program which focuses on the more obscure R&B,Soul and Hip-Hop acts.

Jean may seem unsung now, but that is only because the height of her fame was decades ago. You could count nearly all performers from the 50's , 60's, 70's and even 80's into category. It's not that they did not achieve fame and recognition, it is because it occurred long ago and people no longer talk about it. Should they do an Unsung program on say, Sammy Davis Jr? Heck NO! He isn't talked about much these days, but he could never be classified as "unsung". Where do you draw the line? Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes focusing on George Clinton and the O'Jays, neither in any way , shape or form were "Unsung"! I can remember seeing both acts in huge arena concerts in the 70's with 10,000-20,000 in attendance..........hardly unsung! LOL!

marv2
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
While as a Motown fan, I think an Unsung Jean would be great, I think it's a long shot. No Supreme had a solo career that did anything other than Diana; perhaps Scherrie had a small one. So to do an Unsung on Jean, while I'd love it, doesn't make a lot of sense. And then we get back to that Supremes thing ~ and that name doesn't belong in "Unsung".

So, I guess it's Jean or nothing. And I can easily convince myself it's a good idea.

It is a bad idea to present The Supremes or Jean Terrell in this show's format. It worked somewhat for Florence Ballard because her story was very compelling, lots of drama etc. Still it fell short because there wasn't enough time to do ut [[Flo's story}) justice.

They may need to develop a "Where Are They Now ?" format type program to include subjects like the Supremes, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder etc To bring folks up to date on some of more well known R&B/Pop acts from back in the day.

RossHolloway
07-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Question: Has Diana Ross ever sang any of the 70's Supremes songs in concert? How great would that be?

marv2
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I was at the Supremes Convention at the Motown Cafe in NYC [[a year or so before the cafe was closed). The DJ at the cafe played the original Stoned Love and announced that it was Diana Ross and The Supremes. He was quickly shouted down and corrected himself. So, yes, it happens all the time....

I was there too, in 1998 and although I don't recall the DJ, Stoned Love or mistaken identity, It does not happen all the time!

How can you even say that based on that one, very specific incident that evidently jarred you enough to even remember it in some amount of detail? Do you also recall the "Motown Moments"? They were the three black girls that performed songs by the Supremes , Marvelettes, Martha & the Vandellas , etc without ever giving props or ID'ing the artists and the songs? I use to go there for lunch whenever I was in that part of town. They had the BEST sampler platter , heheheheh!

marv2
07-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Ive never heard of anyone thinking Diana sang Stoned Love. I have heard people confusing who sang Reach Out and Touch and Aint no Mt-thinking it was the Surpemes. Mary made it clear to Jean she regretted including her in lawsuit, but had no choice. Many people feel Jean has had a problem with Lynda, not Mary.

Luke, you have probably one of the most accurate, factual posts in this thread. I have heard DJ's say that too, but I know they are mistaken. Mary made it very clear that she was not suing Jean..........

marv2
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Yet Jean seemed friendly enough with Lynda at the Supremes CD signing back in 2002. The point is NONE of us know who Jean likes or dislikes and at the end of the day it is really none of our business.

I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't ...........

BayouMotownMan
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I think what would be more appropo, and something I'd want to see, is Unsung: The Marvelettes. They have never been given their props for being the first Motown group to score and No. 1 record

marv2
07-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Mary Wilson has a solo career and it is still going on. You haven't seen or heard of her concerts or that she is still recording? Nothing in these last 32 years or so? LOL!!!!

She has a new song out right now even called "Life's Been Good to Me".

Roberta75
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't ...........

Fact, fiction or fan fabrication?

thommg
07-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I was there too, in 1998 and although I don't recall the DJ, Stoned Love or mistaken identity, It does not happen all the time!

How can you even say that based on that one, very specific incident that evidently jarred you enough to even remember it in some amount of detail? Do you also recall the "Motown Moments"? They were the three black girls that performed songs by the Supremes , Marvelettes, Martha & the Vandellas , etc without ever giving props or ID'ing the artists and the songs? I use to go there for lunch whenever I was in that part of town. They had the BEST sampler platter , heheheheh!

Yes, Marv, I do remember that. In fact I have a pictures of Betty Kelly teaching the fake Vandellas how to do the real steps. And the DJ did announce Diana Ross and the Supremes and then corrected himself. I have also heard DJs on the radio play the song and announce that is was Diana Ross and the Supremes. It happens whether you choose to hear it or not, Marv.

Jimi LaLumia
07-25-2011, 06:16 PM
It happens whether you choose to hear it or not, Marv
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I second that e-motion!

marv2
07-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Fact, fiction or fan fabrication?

I don't have to lie. It's up to you to believe what you want...... Amen?

marv2
07-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, Marv, I do remember that. In fact I have a pictures of Betty Kelly teaching the fake Vandellas how to do the real steps. And the DJ did announce Diana Ross and the Supremes and then corrected himself. I have also heard DJs on the radio play the song and announce that is was Diana Ross and the Supremes. It happens whether you choose to hear it or not, Marv.

It don't happen often and only with stupid or disinterested DJ's that don't respect Black Music or the artists. You never hear them mix up John Lennon or Paul McCartney's solo work with anything they ever did with the Beatles. Still I do not know anyone that does not know the difference of when Jean Terrell was singing with the Supremes vs when Diane Ross was singing with them.

Yeah, I hung out with Betty. She was the first to let me know that Obie and Levi had taken ill, among some other things she told me that day.

Roberta75
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't.

I don't have to lie. It's up to you to believe what you want...... Amen?

I didn't accuse you of lying. I simply asked if this was fact, fiction or fan fabrication. Your defensive answer tells me it is more than likely fiction.

No need to respond.

Thanks.

Roberta

smark21
07-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I think what would be more appropo, and something I'd want to see, is Unsung: The Marvelettes. They have never been given their props for being the first Motown group to score and No. 1 record

A Marvelettes Unsung would be good.

Jimi LaLumia
07-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I like the Marvelettes idea..

marv2
07-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't.

I didn't accuse you of lying. I simply asked if this was fact, fiction or fan fabrication. Your defensive answer tells me it is more than likely fiction.

No need to respond.

Thanks.

Roberta

Like I said, you can believe what you want, because it is not important to me what you chose to believe. It don't change anything.......

marv2
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
The Marvelettes! Good choice! They fit perfectly with this program's format as they are truly unsung and their contributions to the music industry and Motown in particular are invaluable!

kenneth
07-25-2011, 08:20 PM
The Marvelettes! Good choice! They fit perfectly with this program's format as they are truly unsung and their contributions to the music industry and Motown in particular are invaluable!

That would be fantastic. They are and always will be my favorite Motown group.

Jimi LaLumia
07-25-2011, 09:11 PM
and The Marvelettes story is QUITE a story!!!

marv2
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
and The Marvelettes story is QUITE a story!!!

If you could just see where they, the Marvelettes actually came from.....Inkster, Michigan, you would have an even greater appreciation for their historical accomplishments! I believe everyone would. It definitely is not the type of place where dreams are made......

captainjames
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
uhhhhhhh no she didn't !!!!!

marv2
07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
uhhhhhhh no she didn't !!!!!

Uh HUH! LOL!

marybrewster
07-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Unless you live under a rock, you have heard of The Supremes and you have heard of Diana Ross. In someway or another, Diana Ross will ALWAYS be associated with the name "Supremes". Therefore, I do believe it's quite possible that an unskilled DJ or casual listener/fan could EASILY mistake something LABELED "The Supremes" as including Diana Ross.

Point: One of my favorite 70's albums is "New Ways". I have had SEVERAL friends see the LP and look at the back cover, trying to figure out which one is Diana. Yes, MANY people know the Supremes continued into the 70's, but I would also bet that JUST AS MANY thought the Supremes disbanded when Diana left.

jobeterob
07-26-2011, 01:36 AM
In the end, none of the 70's Supremes songs are well enough known to be done by Diana. They just wouldn't fit in her concert.

I wonder how many of them Mary does? Or the FLO's. I think the FLO's and Mary sing Diana's 60's songs because that's what the concert goers want.

Can you write somewhere and suggest people or groups for Unsung? Or do they just do individuals? Nobody seems to have thought of an Unsung on Mary.

marv2
07-26-2011, 03:03 AM
In the end, none of the 70's Supremes songs are well enough known to be done by Diana. They just wouldn't fit in her concert.

I wonder how many of them Mary does? Or the FLO's. I think the FLO's and Mary sing Diana's 60's songs because that's what the concert goers want.

Can you write somewhere and suggest people or groups for Unsung? Or do they just do individuals? Nobody seems to have thought of an Unsung on Mary.

The 70's Supremes songs were very well known during the times of their original releases. The 70's Supremes material would have been too complexed and required far more vocal ability than Diane could even have dreamt of, live and in concert. Why would she attempt to sing them anyway? She wasn't a Supreme when they were released and she had nothing to do with selling them?

Now as much as you mention Mary Wilson, I would have thought you would have known this easily. Mary performs no less than 5 of the 70's Supremes hits in concert currently, "Stoned Love", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Nathan Jones", "Floy Joy" and "Bad Weather", she's getting great reactions to them from her audiences I might add. I do not believe the FLO's perform any of the songs from the 70's.

If they were to do an Unsung on Mary, they might as well do one on Diana too. That way all 3 of the Original Supremes would have gotten an episode and the show would be a FARCE if it continued to promote itself as presenting the stories of Unsung musical performers! The Supremes are in the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" and that includes Mary Wilson! Geez!

At the end of each season, people are allowed and asked to suggest those artists that would make good subjects for the series. Several groups have had profiles on the show already.

y

marv2
07-26-2011, 03:14 AM

Furthermore, in regards to the 70's Supremes songs not being well enough known for Diana Ross to sing any of them. Bette Midler, Melissa Manchester, Angie Stone, Bananarama, Celine Dion , the cast of television's "Living Single" and just about every University, College and High School Choir, Glee Club and Chorus around the Nation have performed them in concert. It's impossible to count the numbers of times "Up the Ladder to the Roof" has been perform by young people that weren't even born when that song was released! So much for not being well known enough, eh?

Jimi LaLumia
07-26-2011, 06:06 AM
I recall hearing that during the "Return To Love" Tour that Ross supposedly reached out to Jean to perform "Stoned Love" and Jean declined...

jobeterob
07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
What a shame that Jean declined.

What channel are the Unsung shows on? How many Motown artists have been featured? I wonder if you can see any online or on Youtube.

A Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas or Mary Wilson one would be good.

Jimi LaLumia
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Jean declined "Return To Love" after Mary and Cindy had declined;
she probably wanted to show some solidarity,and i doubt that she ever became chums with Ross..

mysterysinger
07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
For what its worth, I just asked my Mrs. who sang Stoned Love. After a recognising "Ummm" and a quick rendition of the song from me, her answer was..........Diana Ross.

Clearly that's without having just heard Jean singing it BUT....[[maybe others should perform the above test!).

As for Diana Ross really singing 70s Supremes songs, that would be like The Supremes singing a Kiki Dee number.

jobeterob
07-27-2011, 02:02 AM
The misconceptions about Stoned Love/Diana/Jean are unfortunate. Us fans can't believe it and don't like it.

You make a good analogy about Diana and Kiki Dee.

rod_rick
07-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Unless you live under a rock, you have heard of The Supremes and you have heard of Diana Ross. In someway or another, Diana Ross will ALWAYS be associated with the name "Supremes". Therefore, I do believe it's quite possible that an unskilled DJ or casual listener/fan could EASILY mistake something LABELED "The Supremes" as including Diana Ross.

Point: One of my favorite 70's albums is "New Ways". I have had SEVERAL friends see the LP and look at the back cover, trying to figure out which one is Diana. Yes, MANY people know the Supremes continued into the 70's, but I would also bet that JUST AS MANY thought the Supremes disbanded when Diana left.

and Vice versa, anyone see the episode of Designing Women when they [[cast members) Lip synced Aint No Mountan High Enough the said called them Diana Ross and the Supremes. Hell even Motown put out product that was The Supremes and credited to Diana Ross & Supremes, check out some of those budget cds. It should not happen but it does.

Jimi LaLumia
07-27-2011, 08:49 AM
yes, I have some of the Motown casstte re-releases with Jean singing lead that are credited to Diana Ross & The Supremes;THAT tells you all you need to know..

jobeterob
07-27-2011, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIMwcRk4qc

thommg
07-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Even Motown couldn't tell the groups apart. For the longest time, the only place you could get songs from the Jimmy Webb album were on a cd titled The Supremes - Motown Legends which featured Diana, Mary & Florence on the cover!!!!

But don't worry Marv, this never really happens.

jobeterob
07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I bought that CD to get one of those Jimmy Webb songs on CD.

ivyfield
02-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Jean Terrell has a fabulous voice and the most elegant feet I have ever seen on a woman. I am envious of her feet. I have a photo of Jean in sandals and i would kill for feet like Jean has.

Roberta.

Roberta - care to share the pic here?

Constantin
02-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Teenagers think that Ross sings "Can't Take My Yes Off You" because in the 80's an Italian singer named "Ross" released her cover of that song. And for many file sharing programs they were the same person.