PDA

View Full Version : Reunion of James Brown's Funky Divas in Washington D.C.

test

randy_russi
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
I saw on Marva Whitney's facebook where she was to reunite with Vicki Anderson and
Martha High as James Brown's Funky Divas on a show in Washington, D.C. which also
featured the Impressions June 4, 2011 [[and some comments say June 4, 2010), so
I am not sure which year, but it was cancelled due to low ticket sales.
What a shame! Several former JB players were to join the backing band and legendary
JB mc Danny Ray was to host.
I think what the agent handling them needs to do is get them on some big festivals
such as Jazz Fest in New Orleans where they get some good PR and [[hopefully) great
reviews and perhaps that could open up venues here in the U.S.
These women draw quite well overseas, but not here. I am sure it would have been
a fabulous show.
Anyone have any further info?

Also, WHERE OH WHERE is Marva's book???

destruction
07-23-2011, 10:19 PM
One of the Funkist songs the girls I have played in 2011.......You shld hear them on that first break..... Car be bouncin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4vJ2PlenRM&feature=related

Soulpower
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I am one of the promoters of this show. It is very unfortunate that we had to cancel. But the pre-sale was catastrophic, which is quite a surprise because we did expect a sell-out in a city like Washington DC. Unfortunately, the James Brown brand isn't as powerful in the United States as it used to be.

We did consider offering this package to different cities, including the Jazz Fest. But as of late, both Marva Whitney and Vicki Anderson are struggling with health issues, which is why I'm not sure if this reunion show is ever going to happen.

randy_russi
07-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your response! What a shame! I do think a city like Orlando, FL would
sell better than D.C. as we have so many tourists here for the theme parks,
especially from Europe.
My brother and I knew Vicki and her husband [[Bobby Byrd) very well. In fact my
brother actually visited them in the early 70s when they were living in Houston.
I've lost contact with Vicki since Bobby passed, however, is she still living
near Stone Mountain, GA?
Please give her my best! We knew Marva too, but not like we knew Vicki.
It seems former players with James Brown do better targeting the young college age
crowd. I know the last time I saw Maceo Parker the place was packed with young,
white college kids. The same for Bootsy Collins.
Anyway, thank you for your response and the best always to Marva, Vicki and
Martha High. I always liked Danny Ray as mc. The show would've been GREAT!!!
I do hope it happens so please keep us posted here on SDF.
Also, let Vicki know my # is listed in Sanford, FL.
:)
Thanks, Randy Russi

Soulpower
07-28-2011, 04:42 PM
You're welcome.
Vicki does not live in GA anymore, she goes back and forth between Nashville and Houston. As you probably know, she has family in both places.
You're right about the college crowd being into Funk these days. In Europe, that's our main audience [[apart from the Northern Soul crowd in some parts of the UK.) Here in the States, we also have lots of support from the college crowd, but they don't usually frequent more upscale larger venues like D.A.R. Constitution Hall, where we had booked the Divas Reunion.

phil
07-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Also, WHERE OH WHERE is Marva's book???

I'd like to know, Randy. Here is the latest message I got from Bank House:

"The author has decided to make further revisions to the text which he feels are necessary.
We have asked him to finalise these by the end of this month so we can go to print.
We will have to draw the line sometime soon so i hope this will be the last time !
Please keep an eye on our website for further updates and i thank you once again for your patience."

It was on April, 4th...

Soulpower
07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
The book is done ... it's the paperwork that takes a while.
It's a fantastic read, definitely one of the best books by a former James Brown associate.

phil
07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the good news, Soulpower !

Do you know when it's available ?

Soulpower
07-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately not. The manuscript is ready and the paperwork is going through the proper legal channels ..

randy_russi
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
soulpower, the last time I saw Maceo Parker he was at the House of Blues by downtown
Disney and the place was packed.
Also, thanks for the tip on the book as my brother already ordered and paid for two
copies quite some time ago.

Soulpower
08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I had no idea that you can already pre-order the book. I'm gonna look into that.

randy_russi
08-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes, several months ago through the publisher, Bankhouse Books, my brother ordered two copies.

phil
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
my brother ordered two copies.

Me too, and I just realized it was in July...2010 ! Where are you Bankhouse Dave ? :)

jobeterob
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
http://bankhousebooks.com/

There is the website; but it's true, Dave hasn't been heard from on here for a while.