PDA

View Full Version : Smokey & The Miracles

test

RossHolloway
07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
After Smokey went solo in 1972 did he and the group ever reunite? I wonder why they never did a reunion tour or record together again. Most of the other major and minor acts either did or attempted to reunite at some point. What about the Miracles? Does any have a back-story on Smokey and the Miracles post-1972?

randy_russi
07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
They did reunite for the Motown 25 TV Special in 1983--Smokey, Claudette, Bobby,
Pete.

RossHolloway
07-20-2011, 10:58 AM
They did reunite for the Motown 25 TV Special in 1983--Smokey, Claudette, Bobby,
Pete.

I knew of this appearance...but where was Ronnie White in 1983, why didn't he join them? And why didn't they really reunite a la the Temptations or Martha & The Vandellas, or The Velvelettes and really do something? And 1983 was 28 years ago..so in 39 years Smokey and The Miracles have only been on stage once? Doesn't that seem odd?

reese
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I thought there was a reunion fairly recently at an event where they might have received an award. But I can't recall specifics.

randy_russi
07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
They were together for an award or perhaps a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame,
but that wasn't to perform.
I can't remember why Ronnie White didn't join them for Motown 25, perhaps he
was already terminally ill.

nabob
07-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Whenever the subject of the Miracles arises in a Smokey Robinson interview, very little is said. I doubt very seriously that there is or ever was any bad blood amongst the group members. I think Smokey wants to recognized and lauded as a solo artist without relying on the laurels of the Miracles.

jobeterob
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I was told that Smokey strongly resists anything that might label him an "oldies" artist.

It seems a bit odd to me because he never really had the biggest of careers and his album output doesn't contain a lot of huge sellers. I would have thought he would do what he could to pump the career, no matter what form it took.

RossHolloway
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
I had a chance to see Smokey for the first time in concert last summer here in Atlanta and for a fellow in his 70s he was full of energy and put on an outstanding concert. I would have loved to have seen the Miracles in concert. Much has been written about Lionel Ritchel not really reuniting with the Commodores or Diana with the Supremes. I just found it odd that this board never discusses The Miracles and Smokey or why they never reunited. I can completely understand Smokey not wanting to be branded an oldies act, and I don't think there is any riff between him and the other Miracles, it's just too bad that they never embarked on a reunion tour or recorded together again.

jobeterob
07-20-2011, 06:42 PM
It is so clear to me that any Motown fan would love reunions of any of the Motown groups ~ so long as we can stay away from groups that bear little resemblance to the originals; not many "fans" are interested in the latest incarnations of the Temptations or the Four Tops.

But if we can get even one time reunions of Martha and the Vandellas, Gladys Knight and most of the Pips, Smokey Robinson and most of the Miracles, Lionel Richie and most of the Commodores, Diana Ross and the Supremes ~ then we are all for it. Those reunions have to have Martha, Gladys, Smokey, Lionel and Diana in them to mean very much though. Although a Jean-led Supremes reunion would be good for fans as well.

I suppose all of these potential reunions have baggage and issues that go with them but it would be nice to see them overcome.

uptight
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
We have to consider their age now. And illnesses are sometimes too personal to discuss with the public.

smark21
07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
The main reason why bands reunite for a tour is because the career of whoever emerges as the star of the group has a solo career that's gone dry. Smokey Robinson has managed to maintain a decent solo career as a touring act all these years. He doesn't need to reunite with The Miracles for a tour.

marv2
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
It had been said [[back around the the time Smokey announced his departure from the Miracles), that Smokey Robinson was leaving the Miracles in 1972. His plan was to retire from the road and performing to concentrate on his role as V.P. at Motown, producing & writing and just being a dad.

In just about a year later, in 1973, Smokey began his solo career! I forget at the moment what HE said, but it had been said that the way he explained his reason for leaving the Miracles only to return to performing a year later was a very slick way of dumping his old group! That was the "word" from the insiders that were around at that time.........

marv2
07-20-2011, 08:36 PM
After Smokey went solo in 1972 did he and the group ever reunite? I wonder why they never did a reunion tour or record together again. Most of the other major and minor acts either did or attempted to reunite at some point. What about the Miracles? Does any have a back-story on Smokey and the Miracles post-1972?

Ross, he officially went solo in '73. In 1972 when he did his farewell tour with the Miracles it was because he was retiring from the performing and recording end of the business. That is was what we were told in 1972. LOL!

marv2
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
It had been said [[back around the the time Smokey announced his departure from the Miracles), that Smokey Robinson was leaving the Miracles in 1972. His plan was to retire from the road and performing to concentrate on his role as V.P. at Motown, producing & writing and just being a dad.

In just about a year later, in 1973, Smokey began his solo career! I forget at the moment what HE said, but it had been said that the way he explained his reason for leaving the Miracles only to return to performing a year later was a very slick way of dumping his old group! That was the "word" from the insiders that were around at that time.........

Ok now I remember what he said, hehehehe..... Smokey came out of retirement in 1973 saying he just couldn't stand staying at home or just working in the office. He missed the stage, the audiences and yep.....the road! LOL!!!!!

mellow_q
07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Don't hold me to it, but if my memory serves me right, Ronnie White lost a child or someone very close to him sometime around Motown 25. That's why he wasn't on the program.

marv2
07-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't hold me to it, but if my memory serves me right, Ronnie White lost a child or someone very close to him sometime around Motown 25. That's why he wasn't on the program.

Something like that did happen. I have to ask to get the detail.

jobeterob
07-21-2011, 01:00 AM
I think Smark is pretty much right; Smokey has little to gain from a reunion; and the reunion dates won't be that much bigger than what Smokey gets on his own.

tamla617
07-21-2011, 07:45 AM
bump.......

RossHolloway
07-21-2011, 09:16 AM

I just read that it was his wife.

randy_russi
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
His wife did die from cancer, but I don't remember when. However, Ronnie had remarried and his widow lives down here
in central Florida, Gloria Hall-White. I met her many years ago from Claudette at the opening of the Motown Cafe at
Universal Studios. Motown Cafe, however, is no longer. Ronnie's first wife was named Lynn, I think.

dickiemint
07-22-2011, 05:57 PM
A post over on the soulful detroit fourm reports that Bobby Rodgers has recently had his leg amputated, if his health is poor that could rule out any reunion, sad to read this, I met Mr Rodgers at Pontins Motown weekender a couple of years ago and he was very happy to meet fans and was pleased at the response that his Miracles received.

Motown Eddie
07-23-2011, 09:08 AM
A post over on the soulful detroit fourm reports that Bobby Rodgers has recently had his leg amputated, if his health is poor that could rule out any reunion, sad to read this, I met Mr Rodgers at Pontins Motown weekender a couple of years ago and he was very happy to meet fans and was pleased at the response that his Miracles received.

The "Definitive Performances 1963-1987" DVD from 2006 features an in-depth interview with Smokey, Pete Moore and Bobby Rogers and is the closest thing to a reunion of The Miracles at this time. I'm am very sorry to hear that Bobby had to have a leg amputated.

arrr&bee
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I too would have love to have seen a miracles reunion,but with the very unfortunate situation with bobby it won't happen.

marv2
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I too would have love to have seen a miracles reunion,but with the very unfortunate situation with bobby it won't happen.

Ain't that the truth. That's why when groups have the chance to reunite, they should for the fans.

BayouMotownMan
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Actually, there was a little bad blood between Smokey and his Miracles. He touched on this lightly in his book, but Smokey claims he gave his fellow Miracles songwriting credits on many songs that they didn't actually participate on just so they could get royalties. That is HIS side. The only performance reunion was at Motown 25, and from what I understand, Ronnie White refused to perform, though I can't remember why, but I think it had to do with this very issue. He attended Ronnie's funeral in the mid 90s but didn't see or have much communication with Pete Moore or Bobby Rogers until just recently when they gathered together to do the Miracles DVD. There was much hard feelings between Smokey and Pete, but unlike with Ronnie, who died young, the other two Miracles, including Claudette, put aside their feelings and have become friends again. Time does seem to temper people. If only Diana Ross and Mary Wilson could do this.

When people work together as closely as the Miracles did, and especially in a high creative arena, there is bound to be hard feelings over various things...usually money.

Overall, most people at Motown thought highly of Smokey. In my interviews with various people, when disputes between artists and Mr. Gordy arose in later years, Smokey stayed devoted to BG. Perhaps Ralph, having been there, can shed some light here

jobeterob
07-28-2011, 06:42 PM
I totally agree that in a creative, competitive environment, when you work together for several years, most often there are eventually some hard feelings. These surface most of all when one person is more successful than the others or when the hits stop and the money stops flowing. Read.......Beatles, Supremes, Beach Boys, Temptations, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Miracles, pretty much all of them.

nabob
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
. . . . If only Diana Ross and Mary Wilson could do this.Reconcile. They probably did that privately long ago. It's the fans who won't let the situation fade away.