PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Ritchie Has a NEW Endless Love..........Shania Twain!

test

marv2
07-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Yep, Lionel has a new duet partner, Shania Twain!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqrMasZ3OA

uptight
07-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Friggin' AutoTune... It's best used for hip-hop. I'm glad it's just a quick preview, 'cause I think I'm gonna throw up...

Glenpwood
07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Lionel always adds current production flourishes to his albums. Also Shania has been struggling vocally as documented on her Oprah network TV series so perhaps it was a necessity.....

reese
07-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Lionel is doing a cd in which he pairs with country stars for duets on some of his classics.

tamlaboy
07-17-2011, 04:12 PM
sorry but it hurts my eyes to read lionel ritchie!!!!!!!!!!!

jack020
07-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Why are they in a hospital room?

Where is Diana when you need her?

smark21
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Lionel is doing a cd in which he pairs with country stars for duets on some of his classics.

Is there are other sign that your career as a viable recording artist is over and done with when you go into the studio to do a duets album of old songs you once recorded years ago?

jobeterob
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Lionel's career has been done for many years now ~ too many repetitive ballads.

So he can now play at unique fun projects without a lot of pressure, knowing he made his mark.

This is a fine enough attempt at the song but it adds nothing to the original and just confirms how perfect the initial song was.

carlo
07-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I love Shania!! But I've always hated "Endless Love"!! Yuck.

uptight
07-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Rob this version is an insult. LOL I usually enjoy Lionel and kinda like Shania, but not together this way... Sheesh!

I'm getting the same eerie feeling listening to this sample as I do when I hear Michael Bublé songs. I believe he uses AutoTune. When abused it sounds like a space alien, unnatural.

jobeterob
07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I think this version has already been a big bust.

R. Mark Desjardins
03-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Spotted on a telephone pole in Vancouver, Canada, March 23rd, 2012!

marv2
03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Spotted on a telephone pole in Vancouver, Canada, March 23rd, 2012!

Mark did catch Lionel's interview on George Strombo's show the other night?

atcsm
03-23-2012, 11:43 PM
she a bitch

scanspeak
03-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Her voice is terrible. WTF happened to her?

nabob
03-24-2012, 07:03 AM
I agree with all the comments about this being less than a good effort. I always fail to understand the "hate" generated on this site when Lionel Richie's name comes up. If the man were observed scratching his rear end, somebody would gleefully comment about how he did it the wrong way.

BigAl
03-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Shania has always been a puzzlement to me because she never could carry a tune in a bucket. She's totally studio- and photo-made. I remember seeing her on an awards show fairly early in her career singing "Come On Over," and I absolutely could not believe what I was hearing. Cringe-worthy flat notes all over the place and a range of about an octave. This was was offset to a degree by a gang of dancing "cowboys" behind her while she pranced around in front of them in an identical outfit, but sprayed-on. She was definitely some serious eye-candy and I guess they figured the visuals would distract from the "singing." Lots of work has gone into doctoring her recordings.

R. Mark Desjardins
03-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Marv2
Yes I did catch Lionel on the George Stroumboulopoulos CBC interview show Friday evening. What a great, easy flowing interview that was. It should be quite easy to google and well worth watching. Lionel stated how surprised and moved to tears he was when he met Nelson Mandella and how the recently released hero, at the time, told him he had heard Lionel's music from his cell. Lionel also made a poignant point about how Michael Jackson was not the type of guy you could just "hang out" with because he never had the experience of being able to "chill" as a teenager, and didn't really know how to. My respect for Lionel has grown a hundred fold! Catch this interview! And as for my posting the pix above it was done with love. Lots of people who saw me photographing it, stopped to take a second look and "got" the joke. Wide smiles all 'round!

marv2
03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Marv2
Yes I did catch Lionel on the George Stroumboulopoulos CBC interview show Friday evening. What a great, easy flowing interview that was. It should be quite easy to google and well worth watching. Lionel stated how surprised and moved to tears he was when he met Nelson Mandella and how the recently released hero told him he had heard Lionel's music from his cell. Lionel also made a poignant point about how Michael Jackson was not the type of guy you could just "hang out" with because he never had the experience of being able to "chill" as a teenager and didn't really know how to. My respect for Lionel has grown a hundred fold! Catch this interview! And as for my posting the pix above it was done with love. Lots of people who saw me photographing it, stopped to take a second look and "got" the joke. Wide smiles all 'round!

I saw the interview the other night. I have watched George's show regularly even back when it was called "The Hour". You can see it streamed over CBC.ca. Anyway, I agree that it as a very nice interview. I enjoyed seeing the old performance clips of the Commodores and Lionel playing the piano with his Grandma. Lionel appears to have held up very well over the years and his new CD should be pretty interesting with all the duets.

milven
03-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Here is the full video of the song. Hasn't the single [[do singles still exist) recently made number one on Billboard ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAqz0AwLRjk&feature=player_embedded

milven
03-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Lionel will be on Letterman tonight.

milven
03-27-2012, 09:33 AM
By the way , his new CD was released yesterday. Usually, an artist past his recording prime releases a duets or a classics or a remake of his hits album. Its worked fine for Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart, Sinatra, Tony Bennett and many others. Lionel has redone his classics and recorded them as duets with other artists. I was listening to it in my car yesterday, and the one that I like the most is LADY which he wrote for Kenny Rogers. They sing it together on the new CD.

Glenpwood
03-27-2012, 10:03 AM
A lot of these heritage artists record these covers or standards albums because that's what the record label asks them to do. This is why Rod, Barry, Lionel, Diana, Roberta, Olivia, Dionne, Michael Mcdonald, Chaka, Patti, The Temps, Gladys, etc. have them in their catalog. The labels consider them safe to risk their money on because the songs have proven familiarity with listeners to inspire more impulse buys. As for whoever mentioned Lionel is over from repetetive ballads probably hasn't bought his last several CD's to enjoy the diversity of material on them. He's also sought out younger collaborators [[Ne-yo, Lenny Kravitz, Metro) to keep his sound fresh. I Call It Love was a sizable hit a few years ago and I wouldn't mistake it for Sail On or Three Times A Lady. Richie's love of Country is well documented and his production success with Kenny and crossover hits like Deep River Woman gave him a free pass in my book if people think this album is nothing more than a calculated cash in. As for Shania, her vocal troubles of late were well documented on her Oprah network show and the reasons behind them. Recording this song was highlighted in one of the episodes. Some of her more recent performances have been much better since that period due to her confidence returning. A lot of these divas have had off performances.

carlo
03-27-2012, 09:20 PM
she a bitch

You must love calling people "names" under an anonymous screen name on a message board. A definition of a "real life".

Do you even know Shania personally? Why would you say something so rude?

I have so much respect for her. She is a survivor. She became something from nothing. She lost both her mother and step-father [[he was her only "real" father) during her teens, after they both died in a car accident. She had to work to support her siblings. They were poor. She lived in a small town up in northern Ontario. I'll be the first to tell you that living up there can be rough. She became something out of nothing. Props to her. In addition to that, recently her husband cheated on her with her best friend. After all of the pain and heartache, she ended up losing her voice and having vocal problems. She's finally gotten herself together and it rising out of the ashes once again. She is the pride of Canada. Love her. I look forward to seeing her show in Vegas later this year.

I never cared for "Endless Love" to begin with, but I think I like this new version a little better. I love Diana, but the original version is too sappy for me. This version is a little more interesting for me.

LadySingsBlues
03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
This is terrible.

marv2
03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
You must love calling people "names" under an anonymous screen name on a message board. A definition of a "real life".

Do you even know Shania personally? Why would you say something so rude?

I have so much respect for her. She is a survivor. She became something from nothing. She lost both her mother and step-father [[he was her only "real" father) during her teens, after they both died in a car accident. She had to work to support her siblings. They were poor. She lived in a small town up in northern Ontario. I'll be the first to tell you that living up there can be rough. She became something out of nothing. Props to her. In addition to that, recently her husband cheated on her with her best friend. After all of the pain and heartache, she ended up losing her voice and having vocal problems. She's finally gotten herself together and it rising out of the ashes once again. She is the pride of Canada. Love her. I look forward to seeing her show in Vegas later this year.

I never cared for "Endless Love" to begin with, but I think I like this new version a little better. I love Diana, but the original version is too sappy for me. This version is a little more interesting for me.

All you need do to answer your question about atscm is click on his name and then click on "view forum posts" and you will have your answer!

I like this version of "Endless Love" with Shania Twain much better than the one with Diana Ross. This one has more warmth. The one done by Luther Vandross & Mariah Carey was also better than the one Lionel did with Ross. They were to powerhouse singers that gave this rather dull song a punch!

I also had heard of Shania's story, the accident and the triumph.

carlo
03-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Some of these fans can be so nasty. They should be ashamed. When you put negative vibes out into the universe, you will get negative energy in return. It's a law that never fails.

Motown Andy
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Have you guys actually heard this CD? I love it! It's a beautiful re-imagining of Lionel's incredible body of work. I admit, a quick skipping around didn't impress me, but then with a full listen i was sold. Ok, some songs are better than others. Some songs work better in their original form, while others are even better as a country duet. Lady, You Are, Just For You, Dancing On The Ceiling, Say You, they captivate me. If you like Country and Lionel, get this CD. If you aren't a fan of either, there are plenty of other threads for you to comment on.

milven
03-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Have you guys actually heard this CD? I love it! It's a beautiful re-imagining of Lionel's incredible body of work....

I skipped through it the other day and it didn't catch my fancy. Then I played it from beginning to end while driving and was impressed. My favorite was LADY. He was on Letterman last night and he was well received. On some of the songs, he kind of does the background while the guest does Lionel's part. It's a little "twangy" in some parts, but some of the Commodores songs also had a bit of twang. It's the first CD that I got this year. I've always liked Lionel's and the Commodores' music and enjoyed listening to this update.

By the way , his new CD was released yesterday.....I was listening to it in my car yesterday, and the one that I like the most is LADY which he wrote for Kenny Rogers. They sing it together on the new CD.