PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Aretha released her mid to late 70's catalogue?

test

thaperson
07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
She owns the rights to five of her albums. Granted, it's a mixed bag, but put them out there anyways.

I've heard she wants more money, but wouldn't it be just as lucrative to do a small, limited distribution deal? These albums weren't hits the first time around, but it's not like they wouldn't sell at all. She could make a nice penny from it if she plays her cards right.

Plus "Sweet Passion" is a good album. Probably the most underrated of all her material.

soulster
07-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Which 70 albums haven't been reissued on CD?

reese
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Which 70 albums haven't been reissued on CD?

WITH EVERYTHING I FEEL IN ME
YOU
SWEET PASSION
ALMIGHTY FIRE
LA DIVA

While none of them are among my favorites, each have their share of good moments. It would be nice if they were released on cd. I hate when an artist's complete catalogue isn't on cd.

marv2
07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Maybe she feels that it might compete with her new stuff. She is still a current recording artist with new material out now. I am just speculating.

cdiii
07-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Does Aretha own those masters? Or does Atlantic [[or whoever owns the Atlantic catalogue)? If it's the latter, they probably haven't been released because those albums weren't commercially successful. Of those listed above, I thought 1975's "You" was pretty decent; especially Side 2 with "Without You," "The Sha-La Bandit," "You," "You Got All The Aces," and "As Long As You Are There."

reese
07-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Aretha owns them. She spoke about it in her 2003 Billboard salute. If you look closely at the credits on her Atlantic boxed set, the few tracks used from those albums were licensed from Aretha.

marv2
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Does Aretha own those masters? Or does Atlantic [[or whoever owns the Atlantic catalogue)? If it's the latter, they probably haven't been released because those albums weren't commercially successful. Of those listed above, I thought 1975's "You" was pretty decent; especially Side 2 with "Without You," "The Sha-La Bandit," "You," "You Got All The Aces," and "As Long As You Are There."

That is probably the real reason.

Motown_M_1056
07-19-2011, 01:38 PM
WITH EVERYTHING I FEEL IN ME
YOU
SWEET PASSION
ALMIGHTY FIRE
LA DIVA

While none of them are among my favorites, each have their share of good moments. It would be nice if they were released on cd. I hate when an artist's complete catalogue isn't on cd.

I agree, I had all of those mid Seventies Aretha albums and although I didn't like everything 100 percent, thee were some good tracks on each. I especially liked With Everything I Feel In Me. I didn't completely understand Almighty Fire. I wonder why she hasn't made a deal with David Nathan on these albums?

luke
07-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I love Sweet Passion too. Many of these recordings were not faves of critics or record buyers.

texassoul
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
IMO, Sweet Passion should have been more successful.

soulster
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Aretha owns them. She spoke about it in her 2003 Billboard salute. If you look closely at the credits on her Atlantic boxed set, the few tracks used from those albums were licensed from Aretha.

In that case, she would have to find someone willing to reissue them. Just because she would want to reissue them doesn't mean someone will take a risk on them. It's very expensive to put out a CD.

jack020
07-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Aretha has some songwriter partner problems:
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2011/07/songwriting-partner-of-aretha-franklin.html