PDA

View Full Version : Susaye Greene on lead with Supremes

test

MIKEW-UK
07-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I stumbled across this video on YOUTUBE, maybe all Supremes fans have already seen it, but I noticed it has only had 115 views and is in HD quality. It demonstrates just what a powerful singer Susaye is. Mary and Scherrie in the background. All live....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkXz0bFTA8c

1382hitsville
07-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Mike, thanks for sharing this! Very, very nice. It just shows the true talent of the Supremes.

And we are in a desperate need for a 70's Supremes DVD!

franjoy56
07-16-2011, 01:05 AM
The Supremes were at their peak when susaye performed this track "Live" at the Montreaux festival in europe. Let MY Heart do the walking and "High Energy were both climbing the charts both landing in the 40's. Susaye had just joined the group in
february and this group were having very little conflict at least at this time.

Susaye's lead here is fabulous she was definetly a lead singer and Mary seemed to cheer
her on in the background. I love watching this video I have most of the show on an
old vhs. tape probably ready to break by now.

supremesouluk2
07-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Susaye did some wonderful lead vocals whilst with The Supremes, both on record and live.

Recorded:
High Energy
I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
Come Into My life
Sweet Dream Machine

Live:
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
It Knocks Me Off My Feet
High Energy
Confession [[Marilyn Monroe/Motown genie skit)
Everybody Gets To Go The Moon/Corner Of The Sky

stephanie
07-16-2011, 07:41 AM
She was always a lead singer in my opinion I never thought of her as one to be satisfied in the background. Minnie Riperton, Mariah Carey and Susaye Greene have voices that are great for coloring a song or singing lead on I just cant accept her as a background element although she does well there. Something about that creative thing I mean honestly I cant see Minnie Riperton singing background for anyone for a long time anyway.

marv2
07-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Susaye did some wonderful lead vocals whilst with The Supremes, both on record and live.

Recorded:
High Energy
I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
Come Into My life
Sweet Dream Machine

Live:
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
It Knocks Me Off My Feet
High Energy
Confession [[Marilyn Monroe/Motown genie skit)
Everybody Gets To Go The Moon/Corner Of The Sky

I'll add my favorite to the list, "We Should Be Closer Together" her duet with Mary. The Supremes at their very best!

kenneth
07-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I know I've said so before, but my favorite by far is "Come Into My Life." It has that weird intro and quirky instrumentation, then those haunting background vocals. It has really more of a George Clintonesque/Parlet type vibe than anything you'd expect to hear from the Supremes. Back in the day, this would have been a great "hidden track," what I mean is a DJ introducing it and not letting the listener know who it was till the song ended. I doubt anyone would have pegged this one as being by the Supremes. An amazing track which sounds fabulous on the remaster.

splanky
07-17-2011, 10:35 AM
As soon as I read kenneth's post I had to hear that track. I'm not a fanatic about The Supremes but I keep a special place
in my ears and heart for Susaye whoever she's singing with...Here's Come Into My Life on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHgbLi0s18

kenneth
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
As soon as I read kenneth's post I had to hear that track. I'm not a fanatic about The Supremes but I keep a special place
in my ears and heart for Susaye whoever she's singing with...Here's Come Into My Life on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHgbLi0s18

Thanks Splanky. What do you think of the track? Did you agree that it sounds more like a George Clinton production? I'm interested to know your opinion.

splanky
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
That erie theremin sounding instrumentation in the intro and in places throughout probably remind you of some of P funk's
keyboard collossus Bernie Worrell's stuff so I get your connection but though I like the track it leans more toward a disco
than funk sound in it's arrangements and even with his girl groups Parlet and The Brides of Funkenstein George usually kept things pretty close to "The One"...

kenneth
07-17-2011, 02:22 PM
That erie theremin sounding instrumentation in the intro and in places throughout probably remind you of some of P funk's
keyboard collossus Bernie Worrell's stuff so I get your connection but though I like the track it leans more toward a disco
than funk sound in it's arrangements and even with his girl groups Parlet and The Brides of Funkenstein George usually kept things pretty close to "The One"...

Thanks for the feedback. Love hearing your opinion. I agree, the P-Funk Mob was much edgier though Parlet was their closest offering to Disco, I think, much closer than the Brides certainly. Anyway, I'm proud to say I grew up a Funkadelic and have everything they put out. In fact, I'm old enough to remember "The Parliaments!"

marv2
07-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Love hearing your opinion. I agree, the P-Funk Mob was much edgier though Parlet was their closest offering to Disco, I think, much closer than the Brides certainly. Anyway, I'm proud to say I grew up a Funkadelic and have everything they put out. In fact, I'm old enough to remember "The Parliaments!"

They did a tribute to George today on WBLS [[NYC), for his upcoming 71st Birthday this coming Friday.

kenneth
07-17-2011, 11:52 PM
They did a tribute to George today on WBLS [[NYC), for his upcoming 71st Birthday this coming Friday.

Thanks Marv2. I wish I could have heard that. I'm sure George is more surprised than anyone that he's lasted this long considering his past!