PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the folks in Lansing

test

peterivera
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Played a show on Sat night at Common Ground in Lansing. The people were so great to us. It was a delight to get back to Michigan. I still love my home state. Joe Brasch and Danny McCollim really loved Michigan and want to come back often. We played our unplugged show and had a ball. Joe is a fantastic guitar player and along with Danny on keyboards, the two of them make me feel so excited about what we're doing. We recorded and album of the RE hits unplugged and if you care to hear any of it just go to peterivera.com where you can hear snippets of the tracks. We do a lot of rehearsing and these guys are really in to re-fining every moment. I never knew music could be this much fun… We hope we can play for everybody someday. I was talking to Ralph and he has a couple of new projects that he's happy about. Check all this stuff out. It can all be found on CD Baby and ITunes. Hows that for a plug? Just thought I'd check in and do a little promoting….. Thanks for reading….

ralpht
07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey, Pete,
Good to see you here. I should mention that you sent me a copy of your new unplugged CD. I love it. You guys want to hear some pure Peter Rivera? Check this out. A very well done CD.

ralpht
07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Promo bump............

ralpht
07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Pete,
If you're looking in, I have a question. Now that you are working with the "Unplugged" group, how does that experience compare to working with a full band?

ms_m
07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I never knew music could be this much fun…

I think this ties into Ralph's question but I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this statement.

Rekindling a love always fascinates.....LOL

peterivera
07-15-2011, 06:45 PM
About a year ago I did an hour on the street corner to raise $ for the food bank in Spokane. Joe was on acoustic guitar and I played congas. With out all the other power instruments we had to improvise. After the show, we were laughing at how we adapted. It was so much fun. We agreed that if we did all my songs in an acoustic approach it just might work. We commissioned our friend Danny McCollim [[teaches music theory at the University and is the go to guy for keyboards. We started with one of the songs I sang with RE, then another and so on. we looked at the songs in a new light. Instead of throwing everything and the kitchen sink in the song we worked on how to get the preformance with disecting all the parts and re-modeling them---[[less is more??). At the time RE did the tracks all of us were taking a rock-rb approach. Now with these guys we keep the excitement but re-work the chords and taste in a more r&b jazz-smooth approach. The result is very satisfying. I can sing with complete freedom and the support is always just right for the song and what it's saying. It' s hard to explain any more than that…..check out the snippets on my website and see if you agree….. no pressure here…..check it out…..Peterivera.com

ralpht
07-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Pete,
I can see how that would be a rather cool musical experience when dealing with familiar material.

ms_m
07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I love the Tempts and all but Rare Earth's version of Get Ready was always my fave.....[[no smoke blowing up body parts involved here:))

I think I prefer the trio...great clips....if you guys ever come to Ral, NC...I'm there!...you can dedicate Tobacco Road to me....hahahahahaha

marv2
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Played a show on Sat night at Common Ground in Lansing. The people were so great to us. It was a delight to get back to Michigan. I still love my home state. Joe Brasch and Danny McCollim really loved Michigan and want to come back often. We played our unplugged show and had a ball. Joe is a fantastic guitar player and along with Danny on keyboards, the two of them make me feel so excited about what we're doing. We recorded and album of the RE hits unplugged and if you care to hear any of it just go to peterivera.com where you can hear snippets of the tracks. We do a lot of rehearsing and these guys are really in to re-fining every moment. I never knew music could be this much fun… We hope we can play for everybody someday. I was talking to Ralph and he has a couple of new projects that he's happy about. Check all this stuff out. It can all be found on CD Baby and ITunes. Hows that for a plug? Just thought I'd check in and do a little promoting….. Thanks for reading….

Pete,

I am very happy to hear that the "Hometown Crowd" showed you some love! You know you guys are ALWAYS welcome to play here in New York [[City and especially Long Island!)

Marv

Doug-Morgan
07-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Hey Peter....
......next time you're busking on a street corner in Spokane, let us know in advance. I'd drive over from Wenatchee to see that.....

ralpht
07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Promo bump...........

ralpht
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Promo bump......

peterivera
07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Hey Peter....
......next time you're busking on a street corner in Spokane, let us know in advance. I'd drive over from Wenatchee to see that.....What does Busking mean???????

ralpht
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Doesn't sound good, Pete.

RossHolloway
07-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Sounds like a heck of a show. I spent 4 long years in East Lansing [[Go Spartans!). Any plans to head down south to the Atlanta area any time soon would love to catch one of your shows.

peterivera
07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I will be in Corbin Ky [[nibroc festival) on Aug 13th….. It's not too far from Atlanta….come on over…...

Doug-Morgan
07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Pete.....
....Busking is street performing, or performing in a public place for gratuities. I have heard some amazing bands and groups busking at Seattle's Pike Place Market. Everything from classical string quartets to jug bands. A good busker can make some serious money. Here's a short history of the art form....

http://pikemarketbuskers.org/about/the-history-of-busking/

It's an interesting way to start a career. The Head And The Heart, current Sub Pop Records darlings got their start at the market, and busking at Seattle's Bumbershoot festival.

peterivera
07-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I never heard of that before. Now I know…. I hope I won't be "Busking" in the future. I will do it for charity though. Thanks again. Peter

RossHolloway
07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I will be in Corbin Ky [[nibroc festival) on Aug 13th….. It's not too far from Atlanta….come on over…...

Just mapquested it, it's just a mere 300 miles away and a straigh shot up north on I-75...and it's on a Saturday....

ralpht
07-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Worth every mile of driving, Ross.

RossHolloway
07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Worth every mile of driving, Ross.

I'm seriouslly considering the drive..

ralpht
07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
While we are on the promotional trail, I should mention Pete's book "Born To Wander" is a great read and available on his website. Check it out.

peterivera
07-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey thank you Ralph…. appreciate it…. Peter

smooth
07-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Pete
This is Abraham Smooth Wilson new artist of Ralph and Russ Terrana.
First congratulations on the Unplugged CD and the Concert.
Thank you also for the signed copy of your book Born To Wander.
Are there any Central or Northern California dates in the near Future?
Love to check you guys out.

Smooth

ralpht
07-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Smooth. They are coming to Watsonville in September. Pete will post the date. We will go.

smooth
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks Ralph for the information.
I will definitely be there...please keep me posted.

Smooth

peterivera
07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Smooth: I look forward to meeting you. Nice stuff on your CD's

smooth
07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi Pete
Thank You so much for the compliment...Coming from you it really means a lot to me.
Can't wait to meet you in person in Watsonville in September.
I have always loved your Soul,Voice and the Rare Earth Vibe... Classic,Tasty and Funky!!!
Think maybe we could do something together in the Future?
Smooth

peterivera
07-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey Smooth: I'm always ready to do something…. Just got through with a 3 hour vocal session with one of my voice students….Man I'm whacked…. Great guy…. gotta coddle him a bit…. he's sounding good….. He's smilin…. He is starting to dig himself… anyway… see ya soon…. Peter

smooth
07-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Pete...3 hour vocal session!...That's serious business.
I ain't mad at ya...do what you do best....Your the MAN.

Smooth

ralpht
07-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Promo bump...........

peterivera
07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
This student has been trained to sing in the classic style of everything. I explained that attitude is quite important and sometimes the rules have to be broken to get the grit !!! He's coming along but it's a slow process. He's really set in his training and I have to corrupt him slowly. Shame on me….I told him not to mention that he is working with me…. He likes it though. Next step…..convince him to develope a "swagger"…….

ralpht
07-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Pete,
I have to wonder if what you say can be taught. From your own perspective, it seems to me, that you developed as the singer you would be come over a long span of time. It begs the question, can that attitude be taught, or will the student have to put in his own time to pay the dues.

peterivera
07-24-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't think there's any "instant experience" but I think it's very possible to learn quick bursts of insight when working with someone like me who has been through most all of the process. It's almost like re-directing his thinking. So many people are not given the chance to discover their niche because they are trying to conform to the teachings of the so called "proper" way of doing things...

ralpht
07-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Pete,
I agree that you can instill some drive into the guy, but it won't replace proper seasoning. However, I need to say, the guy is fortunate to have you as his tutor.

peterivera
07-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Thank You Ralpht: b m

ralpht
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Promo bump.......

peterivera
07-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Ralph, Hows Harry? Long time … too long….

ralpht
07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Pete,
He's had a couple of lousy years, health wise, but seems to be better and recently moved back to Detroit. When I spoke with him a few days ago, he told me he may move to Vegas. Because there was more action there. I'm feeling better about Harry's well being.

peterivera
07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Good news on Harry: If you talk to him…tell him we all love him….he is one cool dude…..

ralpht
07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Will do, Pete.

ralpht
07-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Bumping for promo...........

peterivera
07-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey Ralph: Thanks for the bump

ralpht
07-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Its what I do best, Petey.

ralpht
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Promo bump...........

ralpht
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Promo bump..........

peterivera
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey Ralph: Are you going to come to our show on Sept 17th at Santa Cruz County Fair? I sure hope to see you there. We are very excited to play there. I will be bringing the 5 piece unplugged group. The album that Russ recorded and mixed. I've been getting lots of good response to the album. "Been There-Doin This" is doing very well. We'll be doing all the songs from the album at the show… let me know...

ralpht
08-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Pete,
Wild horses won't keep us away. Smooth and Petey D are anxious to meet you, also.

smooth
08-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi Pete
I've got September 17th on the Calendar...Really looking forward to meeting you.

Smooth

ralpht
08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Promo bump........

peterivera
08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Ralph: What does that little green arrow tag on the post mean???

ralpht
08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Yaaahhhhlllmmm...It means you have posted on that thread.

peterivera
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I was so sorry to hear on Nick Ashford's passing. I never met him personally but through his songs I felt close. Such a great legacy to leave are the songs that everyone knows and loves. I can't imagine how many people preformmed them. I know I did on a couple of albums. The lyrics and melodies were always top rate. Now it's time for him to compose for a new audience…. Lucky Them…. Thank you Nick…… peace…… Peter

peterivera
08-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Rehearsals are going good. We are ready for Santa Cruz…. Should have a good time… Can't wait to see all of you again.

ralpht
08-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Really looking forward to that day, Pete.