PDA

View Full Version : Re-visiting a classic: Dramatics "Jackpot" album

test

tsull1
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Last weekend, on one of those long [[300-mile), boring drives that can occur frequently in the remote Northwest, I plucked a CD out of my collection, Dramatics "Jackpot" and said, "Well, this is perfect for the long trip." Boy was it ever, the CD captured my attention and livened my mood. This 1975 classic is truly a gem. A look at the cuts in order:

I'm Going By the Stars in Your Eyes -- Lenny Mayes at his best, I've always loved this tune and the great message. Gotta like LJ's loud, "I don't give a heck, about the ol' Zodiac!"

Trying to Get Over You -- Another great one, really like it, and as always the fine rotating lead vocals.

I Dig Your Music -- Underrated album cut.

Me & Mrs. Jones -- Didn't need to be re-made. Don't like the fake applause piped in. I know this is a Dramatics hit, but not one of my favorites.

Good Things Don't Come Easy -- Took awhile for me to warm up to this one, but again, a nice album cut.

I Cried All the Way Home -- [[Previously left out, now added) My favorite tune on the album, just a gem. Again the group addresses the penance the man pays for his mistakes in affairs of the heart. The Dramatics do this so well!

A Thousand Shades of Blue -- Excellent tune with great lyrics.

Me, Myself, and I -- One of the best tunes on the album. Here we are again in Dramatics form, the lonely man reflecting on the mistakes he's made in his life and now that he's alone, he has time to think about it.! Seems like they pull off this message better than any group.

Never Let You Go -- Solid, not great tune.

How Do You Feel -- Again, a solid album cut.

So out of 10, I like 9 of them, meaning that's a great album, in my opinion. The group was near their peak here, along with the other great albums of this time, "Drama V" and "Dramatically Your's."

So many good singers in this group, and "Jackpot" really displays their talents well.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
You missed a song, what about " I Cried All the Way Home ?" That's a jam ! A great album/CD.

tsull1
08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
AHHHHH, How did I forget that, thanks GeeTee ... It's only my favorite tune on the album!! Where's the knucklehead emoticon for myself when I need it!

GeeTee(HPK)
08-20-2010, 12:40 PM
It's ok. :)

tsull1
08-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm going to edit it up above. Can't leave it out!

ladyvanaye
08-20-2010, 01:03 PM
This LP is THE BOMB. Written by a true Dramatics fan who plays it and the other Dramatics lp's on the regular. :)

paladin
08-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Dam right don't me started on the fella's. By the way Tsull "I Cried All The Way Home' is Lenny Mayes at his best. He was my favorite Dramatic, also check out his cut "Be With The One That You Love" where he leads the Dramatics through a Temptation like jam that would do David Ruffin proud.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qa1q_dramatics-be-with-the-one-you-love_music

tsull1
08-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow, never heard that tune before, thanks for the clip! Very impressive, love the stage show, the dancing, and most of all Lenny putting on quite a performance. Man, he was talented. They really kicked a$$ on that song.

* Which album is that tune on?

paladin
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
The album was 10 1/2 , note : I realize the video wasn't that clear , at least on my machine but I believe that was Steve Boyd, who had temporarily replaced LJ. The song is a real kicker, like I said don't get me started on one of my favorite groups. The Dramatics were not without flaws and like that other famous group had quite a few member changes, funny thing was they always seemed to come back, LJ & Wee-Gee that is , plus they kept it on such a low, low, that sometimes Wee-Gee would be on an album and not get credit. ...and it was probably because he left the group again before the albums release....lol......

paladin
08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry posted kind of fast, but this is a pretty good album........

1. Music Is The Peoples Choice:cool::cool:
2. Welcome Back Home:cool::cool::cool:
3. Runnin' From My Love:):)
4. Love Is Here:cool::cool::cool:
5. I Just Wanna Dance The Night Away:):)
6. If You Feel Like You Wanna Dance, Dance:):)
7. It Ain't Rainin' [[On Nobody's House But Mine):cool::cool::cool:
8. Be With The One You Love :cool::cool::cool:

The records that recieved the most airplay [[push) were 2 & 4........they have their typical "Rain" song here led by LJ and its pretty good

marv2
08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
That was a classic album and you just had to love it! It does still sound good today. Thanks Tsull.

arrr&bee
08-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah that's a good one...[i cried all the way home] is a classic...maybe the dramatics best lp!!